Melatonin Post Workout For GH - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Melatonin Post Workout For GH

From Ergo-Log

Sports scientists think that the boost in growth hormone levels that occurs after a workout with weights is responsible for muscle growth and rejuvenating effects. If they are right, then taking a low dose of melatonin before training may have interesting effects. According to researchers at Baylor University the supplement raises growth hormone secretion after your workout.

The researchers' discovery is not entirely new and, for the record, they were funded by Iovate Health Sciences. [iovate.com] British endocrinologists discovered in 1999 that after a cardio training session more growth hormone circulates round your body if you take 5 mg melatonin before starting the training.

But does the same work with strength training? That's what the researchers at Baylor set out to find out, and so did an experiment with 30 well-trained men and 30 well-trained women. The subjects all did the same short strength training session early in the afternoon. On one occasion an hour before starting the workout they took a placebo; on the other occasions they took a pill containing 0.5 mg melatonin or a pill containing 5 mg melatonin.

The figures below show what happened to the men. The low dose of melatonin certainly caused an extra high GH peak after the training. There was no effect on the IGF-1 level, which usually rises if the GH level goes up. The melatonin also caused a rise in production of the protein IGFBP-3. This protein makes IGF-1 more effective. There was no effect on IGFBP-1, a protein that neutralises IGF-1.

The researcher's study has made some of the mechanism clearer. Melatonin reduced the secretion of somatostatin, the hormone that inhibits the production of growth hormone.

In the women none of these effects were observed. The researchers don't know why, but it seems that the melatonin trick only works with men.

In 2006 Swedish researchers published the results of a trial in which they got test subjects to do strength training after taking 6 mg melatonin. [Eur J Appl Physiol. 2006 Apr;96(6):729-39.] This dose was too high, and lowered the GH peak.

Strength athletes who believe in the positive effect of the GH peak, could experiment with melatonin supplementation before working out. Low-dose melatonin supplements containing 0.1 mg melatonin per tablet are available in every drug store. Five of these should make up an effective dose. If you take them during the day you shouldn’t have problems with sleepiness: the dose is too light for that.

You could combine melatonin with a mild stimulant, such as caffeine. This not only helps combat sleepiness, but may also boost the effect of the melatonin supplement on the growth hormone peak. One theory is that melatonin stimulates growth hormone secretion by stimulating the secretion of the hormone GHRH. You can increase the manufacture of GHRH during exercise through central alpha-1 and alpha-2 adrenergic stimulation. Read: by using mild stimulants such as caffeine.

Source:
      J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2007 Oct 23;4:14.
      Source: http://www.ergo-log.com/melatoninposttraininggh.html
      Comments 19 Comments
        thyrod -
        Very interesting
        ReedSkin -
        Going to start this tomorrow, to investigate it is very interesting..
        eluruguayo -
        The headline says post-workout. Shouldn't that be pre-workout, according to what's in the article?
        UKNoko -
        Diagrams suggest that GH levels are elevated more during the exercise if melatonin is dosed at 5mg or I am being stupid here? That could be beneficial as well(?). Also, somatostatin is lowered more with that dose, which could suggest that elevated GH is secreted for longer.
        I need to read into this study I guess.
        bboyflash -
        I've takin it both pre and postworkout at varied doses few years back...didn't do much except make my eyes heavy!
        hugry4more -
        Subd for latter read looks interesting
        tomheik -
        This is a very interesting article. For fat burning, I will stack the .5g of melatonin with a fat burner supplement such as Prograde Metabolism and do my cardio on an empty stomach. The cardio should be really effective.
        aj power -
        So which company will be the first to add it to there pre-workout?
        ReedSkin -
        I went and bought some last night since its so cheap, remember you can get a bottle of 180 for about 10 bucks. Well see how it works with Assault, but last night before bed it put my eyes down!!
        TheSwanks -
        I just started trying this morning with assault and some coffee pre workout. It's cheap enough that if it does nothing I won't be upset, but the possible boost in gains would be awesome to acheive so easily.

I didn't notice any difference in energy level during my workout at all, BTW. The dose is so low at .5mg it really shouldn't do anything to effect energy and focus.

I was able to add 5lbs to bench this morning and got an extra 1-2 reps all four sets, probably not related to the melatonin but worth noting.
        JReinhal -
        Im a bit confused on the dosing here. THe article mentions doses in increments of 0.1mg. Ive never seen melatonin sold in doses that low. Was it possibly a mistype?
        TheSwanks -
        Originally Posted by JReinhal View Post
        Im a bit confused on the dosing here. THe article mentions doses in increments of 0.1mg. Ive never seen melatonin sold in doses that low. Was it possibly a mistype?
        They show in the study that a dose of 0.5mg pre-workout had the best effect on post workout GH levels with increased dosage having a negative effect. I bought 1mg melatonin tablets and just cut in half, they're really easy to find. I would stick to the 0.5mg guideline since in this case higher dose makes lower GH levels than no melatonin at all.
        ReedSkin -
        Originally Posted by UKNoko View Post
        Diagrams suggest that GH levels are elevated more during the exercise if melatonin is dosed at 5mg or I am being stupid here? That could be beneficial as well(?). Also, somatostatin is lowered more with that dose, which could suggest that elevated GH is secreted for longer.
        I need to read into this study I guess.
        I just reread the article and I see your questioning, and now I'm also confused. Are they stating to take 5 mg preworkout or .5mg which is half of 1mg. (just to clarify :)) Rereading this thru me for a loop. I bought 3 mg pills. Someone slightly more intelligent throw me a bone!
        ReedSkin -
        Originally Posted by cswalczakny View Post

They show in the study that a dose of 0.5mg pre-workout had the best effect on post workout GH levels with increased dosage having a negative effect. I bought 1mg melatonin tablets and just cut in half, they're really easy to find. I would stick to the 0.5mg guideline since in this case higher dose makes lower GH levels than no melatonin at all.
        Just seen your post my apologizes. Was the original 5 mg mentioned for cardio? Why was it mentioned period... :)
        JReinhal -
        Good idea. Thanks!
        TheSwanks -
        Originally Posted by ReedSkin View Post
        Just seen your post my apologizes. Was the original 5 mg mentioned for cardio? Why was it mentioned period... :)
        Placebo, 5mg and 0.5mg were all in the study with 0.5mg test group showing the biggest delta in GH post workout. Both the placebo and 5mg groups showed little to no spike post workout making 0.5mg the most effective dose. Later in the article they reference another test by Swedish scientists that used a 6mg dose and found that it negatively impacted post workout GH. So 0.5mg is best, 5mg is almost equal in effect to placebo, and >5mg is counter-productive.

Hope this helps!
        ReedSkin -

Placebo, 5mg and 0.5mg were all in the study with 0.5mg test group showing the biggest delta in GH post workout. Both the placebo and 5mg groups showed little to no spike post workout making 0.5mg the most effective dose. Later in the article they reference another test by Swedish scientists that used a 6mg dose and found that it negatively impacted post workout GH. So 0.5mg is best, 5mg is almost equal in effect to placebo, and >5mg is counter-productive.

Hope this helps!
        Very much so, couldn't see the pictures barely due to being on my phone. Thanks!
        ReedSkin -
        Tried this 2 days in a row at .5mg, both days 30 mins before the end of my workout I felt so drained I didn't want to even think about my cardio, I do have a head cold and sinuses are acting crazy but I am definitely discontinuing this until my head cold is gone. I usually have enough energy after my workout and cardio to do another workout if I wanted to. I will try again in two weeks.
        TheSwanks -
        So far I've done it before my tuesday workout and this morning with no drowsiness to note. I guess everyone responds to things differently!