Meat For Postworkout Nutrition - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Meat For Postworkout Nutrition

From Ergo Log

A portion of protein after training stimulates muscle growth. Most of the research that confirms this refers to protein shakes, and especially those based on whey. But a portion of meat works just as well write Canadian sports scientists at McMaster University in Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism.

The researchers did an experiment with 35 men with an average age of 59 years. During the days preceding the experiment the men consumed 1 g protein per kg bodyweight per day.

The researchers got the men to train one leg on a leg extension machine, but not the other leg. The men did three sets of 8-10 reps.

After the leg training session the researchers gave the men 0, 57, 113 or 170 g fried minced meat. That' s the equivalent of 0,12, 24 or 36 g protein. The minced meat contained 15 percent fat. So the 170-g portion provided 26 g fat.

After the meal the researchers took samples from the men's leg muscles, and measured the myofibrillar protein synthesis [MPS] put simply, muscle fibre production. The figure shows that the minced meat stimulated the production of muscle fibre protein in the untrained leg [FED], and that this effect was stronger in the trained leg [FED+EX].

Meat is a slow protein, according to the figures above. These show that four hours after intake the concentration of essential amino acids and BCAAs continued to rise.

The researchers aren't sure what would happen if the men consumed more meat than the 170 g after a workout, but they suspect that 170 g is about the optimum amount.

The study was financed by the National Cattlemen's Beef Association [beef.org] and by Canada Beef [canadabeef.ca].

Source:
      Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2013 Feb;38(2):120-5.

Source: http://www.ergo-log.com/portion-of-m...le-growth.html
      Comments 15 Comments
        SXIPro -
        Fried minced meat. WTF?
        fueledpassion -
        It means train and eat 6oz or more of meat protein PWO.

Common sense.
        Bigcountry08 -
        Eating protein post workout? I'm pretty sure that wont do anything.
        Clowpuncher2 -
        The should have said hamburger. Fried minced meat is so redundant....
        easye7 -
        Originally Posted by SXIPro View Post
        Fried minced meat. WTF?
        I gotta assume they mean just cooked up in a pan with a bit of oil, not like deep fried.
        easye7 -
        I sometimes have meat post workout, if it just happens to workout like that, but this..."The study was financed by the National Cattlemen's Beef Association [beef.org] and by Canada Beef [canadabeef.ca]."...is a bit suspect, no? Not saying the study isn't valid, but there's gotta be a less bias source, right?
        SXIPro -
        Originally Posted by easye7 View Post
        I gotta assume they mean just cooked up in a pan with a bit of oil, not like deep fried.
        The minced meat is what sketched me out. Perhaps it's just the terminology. I think of minced meat as the bottom of the barrell variety meat.
        fueledpassion -
        The minced meat is what sketched me out. Perhaps it's just the terminology. I think of minced meat as the bottom of the barrell variety meat.
        Or just chopped up filet minon.

This is wild that "eating meat after training for increased protein sythesis" is news to every one. How are you guys even making gains in the gym without applying this basic advice?
        easye7 -
        Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
        Or just chopped up filet minon. This is wild that "eating meat after training for increased protein sythesis" is news to every one. How are you guys even making gains in the gym without applying this basic advice?
        I don't really eat anything specific post workout, sometimes its dinner (lean meat, veggies, some fat, some carbs maybe) or I have a shake (whey and milk). Unless you are training in a fasted state, I thought nutrient timing wasn't all that important. I'd imagine there is two sides to the argument though.
        SXIPro -
        I eat raw beef during my workout. Scares the hell out of the p u s s i e s curling in the squat rack.
        fueledpassion -
        Originally Posted by easye7 View Post
        I don't really eat anything specific post workout, sometimes its dinner (lean meat, veggies, some fat, some carbs maybe) or I have a shake (whey and milk). Unless you are training in a fasted state, I thought nutrient timing wasn't all that important. I'd imagine there is two sides to the argument though.
        I'd say experiment and see for yourself. I personally believe in the 1hr window after training. Experiential evidence indicates that such things matter for desireable nutrient partitioning.
        fueledpassion -
        I eat raw beef during my workout. Scares the hell out of the p u s s i e s curling in the squat rack.
        Curling in the squat rack is better than EZ curl bar, imo. Straight bar > EZ curl bar.
        SXIPro -
        Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
        Curling in the squat rack is better than EZ curl bar, imo. Straight bar > EZ curl bar.
        I don't care what bar they use. Just don't curl in the damn squat rack.
        dmillz224 -
        I don't care what bar they use. Just don't curl in the damn squat rack.
        What he said X2
        IrishSoldier -
        This article failed.