• Margarine Myths

By Samara Foisy HuffPost

A couple of months ago I did a video segment on margarine vs. butter. I thought I did a good job of explaining the health benefits of margarine. But when I read through the comments I was shocked at how many people strongly believe in what I call "margarine myths."

I'm going to explain some of the assumptions people have and provide more information to clear up some of the more popular myths, and hopefully get people working with the correct information. Many of these half-truths or claims may come to you from well-meaning friends or relatives, but the information is incomplete and can lead to more confusion than necessary. So, push the pause button on redistributing these bits of information and let's debunk them.

"Margarine is one molecule away from plastic."

This is by far one of the more popular myths. Simply put: This is not true. Many substances share similar chemical structures or compositions, but it's the variations in these structures or ways they are arranged that make a difference in their properties and to the end product. Most types of margarine are blends of vegetable oils, while plastics are usually a polymer (chain of repeating molecules) of ethylene molecules (four hydrogen atoms and two carbon atoms). Even if they were both made from vegetable oil the variation in their chemical structures would result in different end products. So adding another molecule to margarine does not turn it into plastic. The bottom line is that many substances share similar chemical properties but even the smallest variation can set them a world apart in terms of what they are.

"When a square of butter and a square of margarine were put into a baking pan, then insects (ants/flies) were added, they went to/landed on the butter. This tells you that nature chooses real food!"

I'm not sure how bugs have the ability to detect between real food or not. I've seen them land on just about anything -- they don't seem to discriminate. But I could be wrong, so I did some digging. It turns out there's no scientific evidence to back this myth up. The basic method of making margarine consists of emulsifying a blend of vegetable oils, water and sometimes milk, which are real foods. Choose the margarines that are free of trans fats.

"Margarine is hydrogenated for longer shelf life and contains trans fats."

We know from years of research that trans and saturated fats increase LDL cholesterol ("bad" cholesterol) and lower HDL cholesterol ("good" cholesterol). As a result, manufacturers have created non-hydrogenated, trans fat-free soft margarine, which is now widely available. These margarines are made from vegetable oils such as canola, olive, soybean and safflower, which contain polyunsaturated fats that may help lower your cholesterol level, whereas butter, lard and shortening contain saturated fat that can increase your cholesterol level.

The bottom line?

To maintain a healthy lifestyle, choose unsaturated fats more often, like soft margarines that are non-hydrogenated and trans fat free. Simply put, consider what you are consuming. Both butter and margarine have the same amount of fat, but different types. Fat is essential in our diets. It is important to know which types of fat we want to make sure we include in our diet (unsaturated )and which types of fat we want to limit (saturated).

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/samara...b_3617455.html
      Comments 13 Comments
        Callejul -
        Really?
        Jeff -
        Originally Posted by Callejul View Post
        Really?
        :D

Good lord, the 70's called - they want their crappy diet advice back :D
        fimbulvinter -
        Originally Posted by Jeff View Post

:D

Good lord, the 70's called - they want their crappy diet advice back :D
        Exactly this. But hey, it's Huffington Post.
        WormyJackal -
        I honestly know nothing about margarine. But I do consume half. Stick of grassfed butter a day. No foolin
        Tomahawk88 -
        I will keep my KerryGOLD!
        Vascularious -
        This is a joke article... Right?
        Bigcountry08 -
        The first myth is actually a miracle whip myth and the second is a Crisco myth.
        THOR 70 -
        Another Kerrygold eater here. I would slap this author if I could meet em.Bottom line, the more man messes with it, the worse it is health wise.
        fueledpassion -
        You know, based on the trends I see with this board, most of the men on here are really "organic bodybuilders".

That's a fine thing to be and all, but it's laughable at how "process-phobic" members on here are. Not everything is bad for you if it didn't come straight out of an unfarmed grass, root or tree. Geeze, lol. It's funny how judgmental every one is about foods in general. You guys are acting like every single non-organic food is harmful. Spend your energy on building discipline in your routine and macro-nutrient intake instead of nitpicking margarine. Besides, the only negative drawback to have on margarine was its trans-fats, which can now be avoided altogether.

Just focus on working out and doing cardio. Those two, coupled with adequate micro-nutrients, will keep you as healthy as you can be. Genetics will play itself out either way. There is no stopping it.
        Tomahawk88 -
        Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
        You know, based on the trends I see with this board, most of the men on here are really "organic bodybuilders".

That's a fine thing to be and all, but it's laughable at how "process-phobic" members on here are. Not everything is bad for you if it didn't come straight out of an unfarmed grass, root or tree. Geeze, lol. It's funny how judgmental every one is about foods in general. You guys are acting like every single non-organic food is harmful. Spend your energy on building discipline in your routine and macro-nutrient intake instead of nitpicking margarine. Besides, the only negative drawback to have on margarine was its trans-fats, which can now be avoided altogether.

Just focus on working out and doing cardio. Those two, coupled with adequate micro-nutrients, will keep you as healthy as you can be. Genetics will play itself out either way. There is no stopping it.
        But man I love grass fed butter haha. I hear you about the level of crazy some guys take it with organic. I do try to avoid certain things. But doubt worry about organic produce some things need to be killed off.
        karlore666 -
        ...or just use olive or coconut oil.

Actually my favorite so far has been making ghee (clarified butter) from grass-fed butter, then adding in coconut oil so it melts and mixes together...
        fueledpassion -
        Originally Posted by karlore666 View Post
        ...or just use olive or coconut oil.

Actually my favorite so far has been making ghee (clarified butter) from grass-fed butter, then adding in coconut oil so it melts and mixes together...
        Or just straight MCT oil if you can stand to wait a little longer for the food to cook...
        karlore666 -
        Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post

Or just straight MCT oil if you can stand to wait a little longer for the food to cook...

...and miss out on all that fantastic lauric acid in the coconut oil? No way!