Manipulating Caffeine For Gains - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Manipulating Caffeine For Gains

By John Kiefer Flex

The first step in breaking any addiction is admission: My name’s Kiefer and I’m an addict. But even if researchers identify caffeine consumption as a model of drug abuse,(34) I’m not quitting. I love it. Without it, right now, I’d be in bed asleep for the past four hours—but thanks to a strong cup of joe and sugar-free energy drinks, I’ll burn several more hours writing and researching before the caffeine wears off.

For most of my life, I was not a fan of caffeine. It wasn’t because of my religion or some other ideology, but because I thought I didn’t need it. I didn’t know about the true potential that I discovered a few years ago when I began experimenting with carb back-loading. I figured out that with coffee I could bend the timing of circadian insulin sensitivity to my whim. With caffeine, I no longer need to wait until the evening to eat carbs.

For optimum carbohydrate utilization without storing fat, we need to eat carbs at night; this single rule 
is the cornerstone of all my dietary protocols. Post training is even better. I realize that few people have the luxury of picking their training time with infinite latitude. Let’s be honest: How many people live a life where they can train at the same time 
every day, a time of their choosing? Not many, including me. Clients and deadlines don’t give a damn when I want to train. I try to start my training session after 3 p.m.; life, however, often dictates otherwise.

This is where caffeine comes in handy. If I need to train earlier in the day than is optimal, I drink caffeine before my session, and if the training session runs more than an hour, I add some to my post-workout shake as well. I don’t take caffeine for the hunger-curbing cholinomimetic,(1,2) because of the cognitive-enhancing abilities,(3,4) the fat-burning properties,(5-14) nor do I take it because researchers in the International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism claim it increases testosterone levels during training(15) or because recent research shows that caffeine increases nitrous oxide (NO) production.(16) I don’t even care that caffeine raises your pain threshold, allowing me to push a little harder.(17-21) I take caffeine because it decreases my sensitivity to insulin.(22-30)

Insulin sensitivity is important
 to health for most people. Doctors normally try to help patients increase their sensitivity to insulin and here I am decreasing mine. This is where diet and medical advice get it wrong. Assumptions about one population cannot be applied to all populations out-of-hand.

You train heavy. That makes you different from 90% of the U.S. population. Someone who’s sedentary and overweight would be advised to stay clear of the morning caffeine. For couch potatoes and desk jockeys, that early morning latte loaded with sugar and caffeine is potentially accelerating their impending diabetes. “I’ll have a scone with that...low-fat, please... I’m watching my figure.”

Getting up to train at 6 a.m. also makes me atypical in the world. As does the fact that I train completely fasted and loaded with caffeine. By having the caffeine, at the end of my workout, I am in a state mimicking the evening reduction in insulin sensitivity, a state that is absolutely critical to the near magical results of my dieting protocols.

The caffeine, by making my fat cells insensitive to insulin, forces
 the carbs into the one tissue that I actually want to grow: my muscles. Skeletal muscle tissue can soak up sugar like a sponge because resistance training forces GLUT4 proteins to the surface of the cells (see my article in the March 2012 issue of FLEX on carb back-loading). The GLUT4 migration to the surface of muscles cells—stimulated by the heavy resistance training—allows sugar to rush into muscle cells regardless of insulin sensitivity. With caffeine and resistance training, you can control which tissue soaks up sugar and which can’t at any time of day. Control is a beautiful thing.

Caffeine use alone does not substitute for the body’s natural daily rhythms. Caffeine is adjunct therapy. If you cannot train after 3 p.m., then this is your best option for simulating an optimal fat burning, muscle-building environment. Caffeine therapy to induce the same physiological state as daytime circadian rhythms is powerful, but you still have other issues to deal with, since the hormonal status in
the morning—i.e., increased cortisol levels—is not as favorable as in the evening for ingesting carbs.

Example for Morning Training:

■ No carbs before training (if you train as soon as you get up, this is pretty easy).

Pre-Workout:

■ 2 cups coffee (about 400mg of caffeine depending on the cup size)

■ 10g isolate and hydrolysate blend (1⁄2 scoop of Blend H)
5g creatine

Post-Workout:

■ 40g isolate and hydrolysate blend (2 scoops of Blend H)

■ 5g leucine

■ 25g fast-acting carb (rilose, dextrose, maltodextrin) or 2 or 3 ripe (mottled brown) bananas

■ 200mg caffeine from a powder or one cup coffee

Afterward, from post-workout until 6 p.m. or so (dinner), stay ultra-low carb. At dinner start eating the carbs. And stay away from “clean,” low-glycemic carbs. As I’ll explain in a future article, high-glycemic carbs trigger powerful anabolic effects at night without interfering with nighttime repair, growth, and fat burning.

In the discussion here, I have primarily focused on simulating the metabolic state that makes back-loading carbs such a powerful dietary protocol, but anyone on a carb-based diet can take advantage of caffeine therapy for faster post-training recovery. When ingested as part of a post-workout recovering drink that includes carbohydrates, levels of caffeine around 3.5mg per pound body weight induce a rapid rate of glycogen recovery,(35,36) stemming,
 in all likelihood, from the same effect (GLUT activation in conjunction with making fat cells insulin insensitive). For a 200-pound male, this would be 700 to 800mg of caffeine, which, for some, may sound like a lot of caffeine. People generally tolerate intakes up to a gram at a time (1,000 mg) well.(37-42)

Note: I mention coffee throughout the article as a source of caffeine 
and there are others such as tea, chocolate, and guarana. Choose guarana, coffee, or energy drinks that specify caffeine for your main sources. Caffeine is a type of methylxanthine found mostly in guarana and coffee beans and is the most potent (31,32) (ephedra is not caffeine and is not chemically related). Theophylline is found in teas and theobromine is the type found in chocolate. They all display the same general characteristics, and the stronger the type, the shorter duration of effects.(33) You might be thinking that you should go for the weaker types (from tea and chocolate) and go for the longer effects. It’s a good thought, but you’re better off taking regular doses of the more potent form, and with a Starbucks on every corner, you have no excuses. You can be an addict too.

References: 1. S.Y. Tse, J Pharm Sci. 1991 Jul;80(7):665-9; 2. S.Y. Tse, J Pharm Sci. 1992 May;81(5):449-52; 3. V. Maridakis et al. Int J Neurosci. 2009;119(7):975-94; 4. C. Kourtidou-Papadeli et al., Brain Res Cogn Brain Res. 2002 May;13(3):407-15; 5. R.T. Jung et al.,Clin Sci (Lond). 1981 May;60(5):527- 35; 6. P.J. Arciero et al.,Am J Physiol. 1995 Jun;268(6 Pt 1):E1192-8; 7. J.L. Ivy et al., Med Sci Sports. 1979 Spring;11(1):6-11; 8. K.J. Acheson et al.,Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 Jan;79(1):40-6; 9. V. Mougios et al.,J Appl Physiol. 2003 Feb;94(2):476-84; 10. R.K. Hetzler et al., J Appl Physiol. 1990 Jan;68(1):44-7; 11. R.B. Goldrick and G.M. McLoughlin, J Clin Invest. 1970 Jun;49(6):1213-23; 12. C.A. Raguso et al., Metabolism. 1996 Sep;45(9):1153-60; 13. E.J. Peters et al., Am J Physiol. 1991 Oct;261(4 Pt 1):E500-4; 14. K.J. Acheson et al., Am J Clin Nutr. 1980 May;33(5):989-97; 15. C.M. Beaven et al., Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2008 Apr;18(2):131- 41; 16. T. Umemura et al., Am J Cardiol. 2006 Dec 1;98(11):1538-41; 17. J.K. Davis and J.M. Green, Sports Med. 2009;39(10):813-32; 18. M.A. Tarnopolsky, Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2008 Dec;33(6):1284-9. Review; 19. J.M. Green et al., Int J Sports Physiol Perform. 2007 Sep;2(3):250-9; 20. M. Tarnopolsky and C. Cupido, J Appl Physiol. 2000 Nov;89(5):1719-24; 21. K. Woolf et al., Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2008 Aug;18(4):412-29; 22. H.J. Petrie et al., Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 Jul;80(1):22-8; 23. G.B. Keijzers et al., Diabetes Care. 2002 Feb;25(2):364-9; 24. F. Greer et al., Diabetes. 2001 Oct;50(10):2349-54; 25. T.E. Graham et al., Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2001 Jul;79(7):559-65; 26. F.S. Thong and T.E. Graham, J Appl Physiol. 2002 Jun;92(6):2347-52; 27. F.S. Thong et al., Diabetes. 2002 Mar;51(3):583-90; 28. L.E. Robinson et al., J Nutr. 2004 Oct;134(10):2528-33; 29. K.L. Johnston et al., Am J Clin Nutr. 2003 Oct;78(4):728-33; 30. M. Sachs and H. Forster, Z Ernahrungswiss. 1984 Sep;23(3):181-205; 31. G.K. Mumford et al.,Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1994 Jun;115(1-2):1-8 ; 32. G. Yu et al., Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1991 Sep; 32(3):341-5; 33. M.J. Arnaud, Prog Drug Res. 1987;31:273-313. Review; 34. S.G. Holtzman, Trends Pharmacol Sci. 1990 Sep;11(9):355- 6. Review; 35. D.J. Pedersen et al., J Appl Physiol. 2008 Jul;105(1):7-13. ; 36. D.S. Battram et al., J Appl Physiol. 2004 Mar;96(3):943-50. ; 37. C.F. Brice and A.P. Smith, Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2002 Nov;164(2):188-92; 38. J.F. Greden, Am J Psychiatry. 1974 Oct;131(10):1089-92; 39. K.N. Stern et al., Psychopharma- cology (Berl). 1989;98(1):81-8; 40. W.W. Eaton and J. McLeod, Am J Public Health. 1984 Jan;74(1):66-8 ; 41. M.A. Lee et al., Psychiatry Res. 1985 Jul;15(3):211-7; 42. M. Rihs et al., Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 1996;246(2):83-92.

Source: http://www.flexonline.com/nutrition/caffeine-therapy
      Comments 12 Comments
        asdfvtn -
        Man I love caffeine. I didn't look at it this way before this article though, can more people confirm this decrease in insulin sensitivity causing better skeletal muscle build?
        (Some articles just happen to be bull so..)
        Thanks.
        Hardedge -
        I can definitely confirm this. see, normally, it's not ideal but if paired with heavy training, it acts to partition nutrients to the now-sensitive muscle cells, while the fat cells are desensitized to insulin, so they won't fill or grow as much. If there's one person who knows optimal training nutrition , it's keifer. had (and still do) a lot of success using these strategies.
        pekkaster -
        Isn't caffeine a diuretic? It is, so why Kiefer is using caffeine in conjunction with creatine, especially post-wo? Am I having wrong data about proper post-wo nutrition or is this something too meticulous to concern with?
        metroba -
        That is way too much caffeine.
        GuyverX -
        If I took that much caffeine I'd never sleep no matter how rough my training program was.
        jhhutchison -
        I am not shooting anything down in this article but I am mixed in whether I agree with the author's saying "For optimum carbohydrate utilization without storing fat, we need to eat carbs at night". I have read too many sources that have stated that this is a taboo practice. The only source I can provide on hand at the moment is from the magazine *** hands out all the time that had Greg Plitt featured on the cover. He laid out the nutritional and dietary practices of his program. The article made it clear this was one of the most detrimental practices to preventing unwanted lipid cell assimilation.
        jhhutchison -
        *** = G N C stores
        jhhutchison -
        The only other thing that set off a flag is the notion that AM workouts are least biologically supported by humans. I forced myself to train in the morning for a long period of time and it was a miserable endevour at first but after a few weeks I cannot recall periods of time where working out has been so productive as right in the morning. The military is a firm believer of this too I believe. The ROTC students were never seen except for in the wee hours of the morn from what I observed. They had their **** together.
        thesensei20 -
        What about the notion that caffeine post workout is bad because of the supposed increase in cortisol levels? What about "adrenal fatigue?"
        asdfvtn -
        Originally Posted by pekkaster View Post
        Isn't caffeine a diuretic? It is, so why Kiefer is using caffeine in conjunction with creatine, especially post-wo? Am I having wrong data about proper post-wo nutrition or is this something too meticulous to concern with?
        Caffeine is indeed a diuretic. How I think of creatine though, is if you drink enough water (more than usual when intaking diuretics), your creatine stores will be fine.
        What I don't agree with though, is his emphasis on isolate and hydrolysate. Then again, I don't even see the point in hydrolysate, so call me crazy. I'm more of a believer in a steadier protein release through the day, or pulse feeding it if using a faster acting protein.

Also.. what in the world kind of coffee is he drinking? Average normal sized coffees have ~100mg caffeine. His cups have 200mg, and he drinks 2?! Probably drinking a litre of coffee or something. And pre-workout? Man I'd spend more timing peeing than working out.
        engelzack -
        Originally Posted by jhhutchison View Post
        I am not shooting anything down in this article but I am mixed in whether I agree with the author's saying "For optimum carbohydrate utilization without storing fat, we need to eat carbs at night". I have read too many sources that have stated that this is a taboo practice. The only source I can provide on hand at the moment is from the magazine *** hands out all the time that had Greg Plitt featured on the cover. He laid out the nutritional and dietary practices of his program. The article made it clear this was one of the most detrimental practices to preventing unwanted lipid cell assimilation.
        Trusting something from a *** store is the first problem. Second, Kiefer cites all of his sources on where he is getting this information. This isn't just stuff he is coming up with on his own out of thin air. Just because a magazine article says it true doesn't mean its credible. Check Kiefers sources. I utilize carb backloading and its the best method of eating i have encountered. the past 3 month period i have made incredible gains with shedding lots of bodyfat just by changing my carb intake.

I was active duty army infantry. The army knows so little about proper exercise and nutrition its sad. The first problem is most people don't even drink water before PT, much less take anything to benefit the workout. Second problem is body weight exercise can only benefit the body for so long. You need weights in combination with cardio and body weight. 99 percent of the time they do no incorporate this. The army is actually starting to transition over to Cross Fit but very slowly. Third problem, running 5 miles does not translate to being able to sprint with gear on during battle drills that are the most important part of the job. I cannot even count the amount of times we would run 5 miles 3 times a week. The real problem is the uneducated NCO's running PT in the first place. Morning PT sucks. No one wants to do it. I could get 100 people to vouch for this. In Iraq when we had a choice of when to workout, every single person would workout in the afternoon. Not a *single* person would wake up early to workout. You can get used to doing anything ****ty but that doesnt mean its what u want or need.
        renman01 -
        Originally Posted by asdfvtn View Post
        Caffeine is indeed a diuretic.
        Initially, yes, caffeine has a diuretic effect. Over time, however, the body becomes acclimated to the caffeine and it no longer has that effect with chronic usage. I don't have the citations handy, but there are several studies over the past decade or so that have proven this out. In fact, caffeinated beverages, after tolerance, actually increase fluid/hydration levels as much as their non-caffeinated bretheren.