• Male Eating Disorders

By Cathy Garrard Men's Fitness

If you think eating disorders such as anorexia and bulimia are just a chick thing, guess again. Ask yourself these six questions to make sure your eating and exercise patterns are in a healthy zone.

When the subject of eating disorders comes up, most people naturally think it’s a chick thing. But the latest research shows that gender is neither a predictor of—or an insurance policy against—body image issues. In fact, the number of guys worldwide who suffer from eating disorders is on the rise, according to Eating Disorders: The Journal of Treatment & Prevention. “There’s a lot more pressure these days for guys to have a cut body than there used to be in the past,” says Ted Weltzin, MD, medical director of eating disorder services at Rogers Memorial Hospital in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin.
      While eating disorders in women typically reveal themselves in the form of an emaciated body, the look is different for guys. Males with eating disorders tend to be overly focused on exercise and muscle definition, says Dr. Weltzin. If you’re body-conscious—and you probably are if you’re on this site—ask yourself these sic questions to make sure you have a healthy approach to nutrition and exercise. If after answering these questions you're worried that you may be crossing into unhealthy territorry, call the National Eating Disorder Association’s Live Helpline at 800-931-2237 to help you find an expert in your area who can help.

1. Are you drastically decreasing your calorie intake?
      If your diet is very low in fat or calories—without adequate nutritional supervision from a physician or nutritionist—it could signal a problem. For a rough idea of the minimum number of calories you should eat a day, multiply 25 calories for every kilogram you weigh. So if you weigh 175, that’s 1,985 daily calories. “If you’re working out hard every day, that’s not a lot of food,” says Dr. Weltzin. “And if you’re eating that little and maintaining your same level of fitness, that’s a problem.”
      2. Are you amping up your exercise?
      There’s nothing wrong with challenging yourself to better a race time or a dead-lift weight, but you shouldn’t push yourself too hard if you’re significantly restricting calories at the same time. “If you continue to work out at the same level while restricting calories, you tend to lose your strength— even if you can maintain endurance,” says Weltzin. Cut back on calories, or ramp up exercise if you want to shed a few pounds, but you shouldn’t be drastic with both.
      3. Are you obsessed by thoughts of food or your body?
      If you spend more than half of your day thinking about food, weight, or your muscularity, you may need a wake-up call, says Dr. Weltzin. “If you’re sitting at the gym and you’re panicked about what you’re going to eat that night—or if you can see this muscle or that muscle—and feeling tortured about it, you’re not in a good place.”

4. Does exercise interfere with your work?
      It’s healthy and time-savvy to squeeze in a workout on your lunch hour. But if you’re frequently late to work because of a lengthy, can’t-miss AM exercise schedule—or you skip out of the office in the afternoons to fit in a sweat session—it’s a sign that your dedication to your appearance is veering toward a danger zone.

5. Do you feel inadequate in your relationship?
      Insecurities can occasionally get the better of anyone, but if you’re obsessively working out because you feel like you’re not muscular enough for your girlfriend—or you have a lot of issues around your sexual performance—it could be a sign that you’re unhealthily compensating for that anxiety. “A lot of guys I treat are rejection-sensitive, so they try to manage that by creating their own ‘body armor,’” says Dr. Weltzin.

6. Do you have physical symptoms?
      If after exercising you are weak or run down, feel dizzy, or you have hart palpitations, those are serious warning signs that your exercise regimen is overloaded. “If after eating you feel panicked or desperate, or you force yourself to vomit, those are major red flags that you have an eating disorder,” says Dr. Weltzin.

Source: http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition...ating-disorder
      Comments 7 Comments
        chedapalooza -
        I survived male anorexia at age 16-18. I lost 100 pounds and hit rock bottom in ICU at 94 pounds. I am in the process of finishing a memoir for publishing about the event to shed light on MALE anorexia.
        AFpump -
        I've heard about this becoming a problem a few yrs ago when I was teaching diet counseling in the Air Force before retiring. I'm just wondering how prevalent its becoming in today's society?
        GuyverX -
        I understand totally. In my younger days junk food was a bad addiction of mine. So I would eat tons of it and force myself to throw it up right after. Eventually after a couple of stints in the hospital for ulcers and minor damage to my esophagus I learned my lesson.

Thing was I grew up watching all those movies with the beach guys being ripped and I was obsessed with having that kind of physique.
        chedapalooza -
        Originally Posted by GuyverX View Post

Thing was I grew up watching all those movies with the beach guys being ripped and I was obsessed with having that kind of physique.
        This! I didn't binge n purge tho.. I just straight wouldn't eat n worked out like crazy
        Borispili -
        two words: Furious Pete!
        danieltx13 -
        RE: Dr. Weltzin's statement of, “And if you’re eating that little and maintaining your same level of fitness, that’s a problem.”

I'd like to see some science to back this up. How is that even a problem? I eat proportionately less than the example given (200 pounds, ~10%, & about 2,200 calories a day) and I've had no problem maintaining my weight and increasing my maxes as I get ready to compete at nationals for powerlifting next month. The body is not a textbook and we don't all have the same caloric requirements. I'm so tired of seeing this dogma repeated by both the scientific community who are all theory & no practice and the fitness community who blindly follow the broscience of other members.

The only person who can tell you what's best for your body is you. Take the time to figure out what macro split works best for you, what your optimal level of caloric intake is, etc., by trial and error, not by reading what others say, and it'll be much easier to reach your goals.
        mkretz -
        im with cedapaloozaon this one, smae thing with me, i was in the hospital at 100lbs...........slowly gianingback, its been over 2 yearsnow and i feel i a pretty solid 160 again but i do sitll struggle with alwaysthinkin abotu wroking out and food, but immroeof an overexerciser than an under eater, that was alwaysmyissue, now i jsut wat way waymore............with more andmore muscle men being shown guys feeltheyneed to be this and arent happy witht htemselves,people gotta live life and be happywith who they are, i think this is becoming much more prevalent unfortunately