Initial Ketoforce Data - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Initial Ketoforce Data

By Patrick Arnold

On my last blog I promised I would show you some data on my KetoForce product (BHB mixed salts). I have two sets of data – the first showing blood beta-hydroxybutyrate (BHB) responses and the second showing specific changes in physiological parameters during a controlled exercise experiment.

The blood data was done at a university on a set of subjects and the average changes in BHB levels are what this graph shows

These subjects drank a diluted version of the KetoForce product that was essentially equivalent to 36mL of KetoForce.* The product was consumed on an empty stomach and as you can see blood BHB levels rose pretty quickly. Levels appear to stay decently elevated until round the 180 minute (3 hour) mark. 30-60 minutes seems to be the sweet spot for maximum blood levels, so for pre-exercise use one should probably time the ingestion accordingly.

The exercise data I have was done using a 20% solution of the BHB salts which was equivalent to 40 mL of the KetoForce product. The data was done by an independent individual that does such research for a non-profit organization. Out of respect for this fact – and the fact that the data is only preliminary (more research is going to be performed) – I won’t report the full data here. I will give a glimpse into the most interesting thing he found though.

First of all this individual was ketoadapted. Ketoadapated means he had been on a ketogenic diet for a period of time long enough so that he was in full ketosis and had developed a good ability to utilize ketones. He did a bike exercise that was set up so the workload was maintained at a constant level roughly equal to 60% of his VO2 max. During the first stage he did the exercise for twenty minutes without the salts, and during the second stage he consumed the salts 60 minutes prior to the exercise bout.

One of the things that was measured was the amount of oxygen consumed during the exercise bouts. Theoretically, ketones should reduce oxygen consumption because they are known to generate more cellular energy per unit oxygen burned compared to glucose and other energy sources. The data he got with the BHB salts strongly suggested that this theory was at work during the experiment. Below is the difference in oxygen consumption reported as a percentage between a bout without the salts and a bout with the salts.

Last 5 minutes - minus 8.8%
      Last 10 minutes – minus 7.7%
      Last 15 minutes – minus 6.6%

Apparently there was a substantial decrease in the amount of oxygen he needed to maintain the workload after taking the salts. Very interestingly, this decrease in oxygen demand got more prominent as the session went on as well.

BHB salts are natural products that mimic the nutritional state of ketosis and have been studied in the past for medical applications as well. KetoForce is the first introduction of these salts to supplement and fitness industry so we are very early on in regards to figuring out how best to use them. This preliminary data does give us some clues on how they may be used (timing wise) and what benefits they may offer. We are very hopeful that our collaborations will enable us to generate a lot more research on the product (such as what performance benefits might be seen in non ketoadapted people) in the very near future.

https://www.prototypenutrition.com/P...ProductCode=KF

* The KetoForce label suggests a serving size of 30mL instead of 36mL. Since I don’t expect all my customers to own graduated cylinders many will have to use the cap for measuring, and the cap holds 10mL . For this reason I rounded the serving size off to 30mL.

Source: http://patrickarnoldblog.com/initial...ed-salts-data/