How Often To Stretch? - AnabolicMinds.com
    • How Often To Stretch?

By Jim Stoppani, Ph.D Flex

HYPOTHESIS Itís critical to stretch your muscles for optimal performance and development. If youíre like most athletes, you probably believe that you have to stretch every single day to increase flexibility. But science says you can see good results with stretching as little as twice a week.

RESEARCH Researchers from The Cleveland Clinic (Ohio) had 
32 male and female subjects perform a static hamstring stretch (reach and hold) every day for four weeks. After the four-week trial, subjects were divided into two groups. The first stopped stretching for the four remaining weeks of the study. The second group stretched two or three times per week for another four weeks.

FINDINGS Both groups increased their hamstring flexibility
 by about 20 degrees during the first four weeks. Those who did not stretch during weeks five through eight lost seven degrees of flexibility, but those who stretched just two or three days per week gained an additional four degrees 
of flexibility.

CONCLUSION The more days you stretch the better, but you can make decent gains in your flexibility by stretching just two or three days per week.

APPLICATION Make sure to perform static stretching after your workouts and never before. Doing static stretches before workouts will decrease muscle strength and limit increases in flexibility. Stretching after workouts further increases flexibility without compromising strength.

Source: http://www.flexonline.com/training/stretching-limits
      Comments 8 Comments
        mountainman33 -
        Too bad most stretching studies done in the past few years have shown stretching to be detrimental to strength gains, true athletic performance, and leaves you more prone to injury than if you DIDN'T stretch.
        toddgranit -
        Originally Posted by mountainman33 View Post
        Too bad most stretching studies done in the past few years have shown stretching to be detrimental to strength gains, true athletic performance, and leaves you more prone to injury than if you DIDN'T stretch.
        I take issues with those studies, they were poorly designed, and implemented. If static stretching was detrimental to performance, than sprinters, and gymnasts, and dancers, wouldn't be doing them.

Anecdotally I've incorporated both static and ballistic stretching into my routine, and at forty six years old, I'm more flexible than I've ever been in my life, I have no joint issues, and I'm completely pain free.

Peace
        OrganicShadow -
        I'm with Todd. Im a hardcore supporter of DC training which heavily emphasizes the static stretch.
        aceroni -
        Originally Posted by toddgranit View Post

I take issues with those studies, they were poorly designed, and implemented. If static stretching was detrimental to performance, than sprinters, and gymnasts, and dancers, wouldn't be doing them.

Anecdotally I've incorporated both static and ballistic stretching into my routine, and at forty six years old, I'm more flexible than I've ever been in my life, I have no joint issues, and I'm completely pain free.

Peace
        This. Static and ballistic stretching paired with smfr and other mobility work is king
        jaydollars -
        Originally Posted by OrganicShadow View Post
        I'm with Todd. Im a hardcore supporter of DC training which heavily emphasizes the static stretch.
        Yea but that's AFTER you work the muscle not before
        aceroni -
        Originally Posted by jaydollars View Post

Always after. Mobility and foam rolling before is beneficial too
        OrganicShadow -
        Originally Posted by jaydollars View Post

Good point. Frank Zane would stretch between sets which seems counterproductive to me.
        aceroni -
        Originally Posted by OrganicShadow View Post

Good point. Frank Zane would stretch between sets which seems counterproductive to me.
        Sometimes it can help by rushing blood to the muscle.. For example doing band over and back stretches i'm between sets of chest, works awesome

Look up mountain dog chest tnation.com

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.