• Growing Big Triceps

By Jim Smith, C.S.C.S. Men's Fitness

Triceps make up most of your arm mass, so if you’ve been prioritizing biceps exercises, you need to switch it up. This routine can be done at the end of any upper-body workout, and it attacks the triceps on every front. You’ll start with a heavy lift to recruit the most muscle fibers, then pump up the volume to exhaust the muscles thoroughly.

1. Close-grip Bench Press

Sets: 4
      Reps: 8, 8, 8, AMRAP
      Rest: 60 sec.
      Hold the bar so your index fingers are on the inside edge of the knurling (the rough part of the bar). Lower it to your chest, keeping your elbows tucked close to your sides. Press back up. On your last set, use half the weight and perform as many reps as possible (AMRAP).

2. Decline Triceps Extension

Sets: 4
      Reps: AMRAP
      Rest: 15 sec.
      Lie on a decline bench with a dumbbell in each hand. Hold the weights over your chest, palms facing. Bend your elbows and lower the weights to the sides of your head. Choose a weight you can do 12 reps with on the first set, and use it for every set.

3. Band Pushdown

Sets: As many as needed
      Reps: 100 total
      Rest: As needed
      Attach an exercise band (we like the EFS Pro Light bands from elitefts.com) to an overhead object and grab each side of the loop with your hands. Keeping your elbows tight against your sides, extend your arms downward. You can also perform a pushdown on a cable machine if you like.

Source: http://www.mensfitness.com/training/...rms-in-3-moves
      Comments 15 Comments
        Philshred -
        Purpose of article to advertise?
        coolhandluke -
        Dude, would you like to pay for the website? Lay off.
        Philshred -
        Originally Posted by coolhandluke View Post
        Dude, would you like to pay for the website? Lay off.
        Obviously they have to make some money. But the content of this article wasn't helpful or insightful compared to the many other articles they post which are.
        huggy77 -
        there was no tracker on the link... I don't think it was an ad to be honest.
        eddieSt.james -
        What about dips? Aren't they a staple of good triceps training?
        huggy77 -
        Originally Posted by eddieSt.james View Post
        What about dips? Aren't they a staple of good triceps training?
        Yah but i dont think you can go wrong with close grip and decline work.... The bands do sound a bit sketchy...

Decline skull crushers are my favorite...
        eddieSt.james -
        Originally Posted by huggy77 View Post

Yah but i dont think you can go wrong with close grip and decline work.... The bands do sound a bit sketchy...

Agree, close grips are great. I used to do decline skull crushers with e-z curl bar and loved the pump. Need to get those back into the mix.
        huggy77 -
        Agree, close grips are great. I used to do decline skull crushers with e-z curl bar and loved the pump. Need to get those back into the mix.
        they are baddass... I usually do those 2 movements and then finish with a couple cable strip sets and my arms feel GRRRREAT!
        eddieSt.james -

they are baddass... I usually do those 2 movements and then finish with a couple cable strip sets and my arms feel GRRRREAT!
        Cable strip sets? Enlighten me.
        wtmdcg91 -
        What in the hell this article is about ?? besides close grip the rest are not the best tri builders ...
        Philshred -
        Originally Posted by wtmdcg91 View Post
        What in the hell this article is about ?? besides close grip the rest are not the best tri builders ...
        Couldn't have said it better, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who read the article thinking wtf?
        huggy77 -

Cable strip sets? Enlighten me.
        Go heavy on some tricep cable pushdowns with a weight u can handle for 8. Have your partner remove 40 percent of the weight abd keep going. I usually pull the pin 3 times.
        stankyleg -
        Band push down ehh? I bet that's what branch warren does.
        jamesm11 -
        Tricep pressdown t-bar
        Close grip bench
        Skull crushers
        Military pushups to finish
        DrDeca -

you can do the band pushdown with cables aswell if bands are "sketchy" just lean foward and put elbows in as possible and then pull it out with both triceps an ull notice it if done correctly i do it all the time, gives me a nice swell