Growing Big Traps - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Growing Big Traps

by Charles Poliquin Iron Man Magazine

Q: How can I develop bigger traps so that they pop out when I do a crab pose?

A: Consider that the pose you’re referring to is also considered a “most muscular” pose because it brings out not just the traps but also the pecs, shoulders, delts and arms. You asked for great traps, however, and a great first step would be shoulder shrugs done with barbells and dumbbells.

The shoulder shrug done with a barbell is a simple exercise that will develop the upper traps. One key training tip is to curl your wrists under slightly so that the elbows point out, not back. It will help ensure that the bar travels straight up and give you a greater range of motion.

The key advantage of dumbbells over a barbell is that they enable you to perform the exercise with your arms at your sides and your hands in a neutral position, thus giving you a greater range of motion and a more vertical line of resistance than you would get with a straight bar. This technique helps correct the excessive internally rotated shoulder and arm posture commonly associated with those who have bench-pressed excessively for years.

One of my favorite shrugs is the one-arm barbell shrug. It’s a much smoother motion than dumbbell shrugs, as there is no friction from having the weights sliding up the legs. To get the most out of one-arm barbell shrugs, do them in a power rack with the barbell set across the pins. You can then brace yourself with your free hand against one of the power rack posts, which will enable you to keep your torso upright. Also, to increase the time under tension—which favors growth—pause for a predetermined time—one to six seconds, for example—at the end of the concentric range of motion.

Unless you are a weightlifter and have slabs of muscle on your upper back, be sure to include some type of shoulder shrug in your workouts frequently. After all, everyone needs to be able to “Hulk out” once in a while.

Source: http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/how-c...o-a-crab-pose/
      Comments 20 Comments
        superbeast668 -
        Lol @ shrugs. Heavy deads. Theyll blow your traps up.
        yourname2221 -
        "and a great first step would be shoulder shrugs done with barbells and dumbbells."

no ****???
        Torobestia -
        Mine do fine with deadlifts and bent over rows. I haven't even done a single shrug in well over a year.
        Lilcheeks -
        Originally Posted by superbeast668 View Post
        I'm not huge so my advice is probably not worth much, but I'll second what this guy says. My buddies with bigger traps are big on deads and never do shrugs.

Personally, I like to follow up my deadlifts with 3-4 sets of shrugs. They'll be sore for a couple days after that.
        superbeast668 -
        Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
        Mine do fine with deadlifts and bent over rows. I haven't even done a single shrug in well over a year.
        My point exactly.
        Lilcheeks -
        I'm not huge, but my buddies with nice traps are big on the deadlifts.

I had been shrugging for a couple years with not much to show for it. Since I added deadlifts I've actually started to see a difference in the last 6 months or so.
        Personally I like to follow up deadlifts with barbell shrugs. They'll be sore for a few days.
        Lilcheeks -
        I'm no master of the gym, but shrugs alone didn't do much for me for the first few years. I added deadlifts and now I'm starting to see something.

I follow those up with shrugs and I'll be sore for a few days after.
        AF33 -
        One exercise I felt really help build my traps, was behind the neck parallel bar pullups. Ever since I added those to my split, I've noticed a difference
        tigerdb2 -
        Olympic lifts and their pull variations. Anecdotal evidence: Olympic lifters and their sizable traps. You won't catch them doing much, if any, isolation work for anything.
        discobiskit -

My point exactly.
        Lol...not everyone can do deads, hot****.
        Callejul -
        Originally Posted by tigerdb2 View Post
        Olympic lifts and their pull variations. Anecdotal evidence: Olympic lifters and their sizable traps. You won't catch them doing much, if any, isolation work for anything.
        Darn this mobile App restricting me to Rep this. X2 for this!!!
        badfish21981 -
        Originally Posted by discobiskit View Post

How can you pick up a barbell to shrug in the first place if you can't deadlift. And +2 on oly lifts.
        ThunderHumper -
        Deadlifts baby. I 3nd this
        AllOrNuffin00 -

If u cant do deads thers sumink wrong ther dude, they r essential!
        discobiskit -
        Originally Posted by AllOrNuffin00 View Post

If u cant do deads thers sumink wrong ther dude, they r essential!
        I can do deads, 315 to 350 for 10 reps, 3-4 sets. No need to rely on a belt with mediocre/semi-heavy weight. Conventional. I'm 42 & maybe a handful of guys my age in the gym can do any deadlift at all. Most have some type of injury or chronic pain. And that's the point: what works for you may not work for others.

To the contrary, theres a guy in his 30s here that does shrugs, usually bbell, with anywhere from 550 to 600 lbs. I guarantee his traps he bigger that yours or hotchits. And he never does any deads. So he would probably laugh that they are essential & the only way to get huge traps.
        Torobestia -
        I can do deads, 315 to 350 for 10 reps, 3-4 sets. No need to rely on a belt with mediocre/semi-heavy weight. Conventional. I'm 42 & maybe a handful of guys my age in the gym can do any deadlift at all. Most have some type of injury or chronic pain. And that's the point: what works for you may not work for others.

To the contrary, theres a guy in his 30s here that does shrugs, usually bbell, with anywhere from 550 to 600 lbs. I guarantee his traps he bigger that yours or hotchits. And he never does any deads. So he would probably laugh that they are essential & the only way to get huge traps.
        You're getting it backwards. It's you and people like the author making the assumption that doing 50 sets of shrugs a week is the key to getting bigger traps. We're saying that's not the case - that you can get them even without doing a single shrug.
        AllOrNuffin00 -

Ther not the only way to get huge traps, when i say essential i mean they r essential as a corner stone of any weight trainin program, for me personally, a combination of upright rows, shrugs & deads r best for all round trap growth and development. In response to u sayin about the dude in his 30's that doesn't do deads, though he dosnt dead currently he probably did at some point
        AllOrNuffin00 -
        Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
        You're getting it backwards. It's you and people like the author making the assumption that doing 50 sets of shrugs a week is the key to getting bigger traps. We're saying that's not the case - that you can get them even without doing a single shrug.
        ^^^ Totally agree with that! ^^^
        bachelard -
        I have big traps. I always get comments about them. I haven't been able to do deadlifts for 6 years (due to chronic knee problems). But I shrug using the the Smith machine, with the bar held in front and rear. What I learned long ago is that my traps respond best to a lot of sets. I do at least 10 sets once a week with about 400 lbs.
        AllOrNuffin00 -
        Farmers walks are another great one