• Is Green Tea Deadly?

By Stephen Daniells Nutra Ingredients USA

A lawsuit has been filed in Orange County, CA against Monster alleging that the company failed to warn against the dangers of a an extremely dangerous and potentially lethal ingredient epigallocatechin-3-gallate.

ECGC is one of the four primary polyphenols found in fresh tea leaves, along with epigallocatechin (EGC), epicatechin gallate (ECG), and epicatechin (EC). The ingredient has long been available for use in dietary supplements and the list of potential health benefits include weight management, improving cardiovascular and oral health, and potentially reducing the risk of Alzheimer's and certain cancers.

Plaintiff Jennifer Wooding alleges that: “This is a consumer rights class action lawsuit about Defendants’ false and misleading advertising of energy drinks containing an extremely dangerous and potentially lethal ingredient epigallocatechin-3-gallate (“EGCG”).”

The plaintiff alleges: “Despite the overwhelming publicity, regulatory action and medical literature on the toxicity of green tea extracts – specifically EGCG – going back more than a decade, on information and belief, at no time did Defendents undertake a review of the medical literature before deciding to put EGCG into SUBJECT PRODUCTS.

“Nor did Defendants make any attempt whatsoever to warn consumers, including Plaintiff and the Class, that an ingredient of SUBJECT PRODUCT, EGCG, is a known liver toxin, that the product could case adverse side effects, that persons with known liver conditions should not use the product, and that the product should not be used in conjunction with or shortly after drinking alcohol.”

Bread and water

Commenting on the lawsuit, Justin Prochnow, shareholder at lawfirm Greenberg Traurig, LLP, said: "In my brief review of the complaint, it appears that the plaintiff’s lawyers attempt to link 13 cases of livery injury (livery? Injuries occurring in a stable) that occurred in France and Spain allegedly from a product containing green tea extract and the problems with Hydroxycut, of which EGCG was one of many ingredients, with their claims that EGCG is a dangerous and potentially lethal ingredient.

"This one will certainly be one to keep an eye on…because if green tea is really a dangerous and deadly ingredient, we might be back to water and bread," he added.

Source: http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/...%2BText%2BNews
      Comments 10 Comments
        aLinux -
        Use wheatgrass tea instead.
        brutostronzo -
        This is the most ridiculous & idiotic article I've read on this site before. This lawsuit is obviously one with motive to get a free handout because along with a few bottles of vodka someone included a can of monster which conveniently claims it has green tea as one of it's ingredients. Monster has about 20 different toxins including a crapload of aspartame (a known cancer causing toxin) Green tea has been used in asia & eastern europe for thousands of years & continue to exhibit nothing but positive results study after study. I fail to see the point or purpose of even posting this nonsense .
        Spaniard -
        Originally Posted by brutostronzo View Post
        This is the most ridiculous & idiotic article I've read on this site before. This lawsuit is obviously one with motive to get a free handout because along with a few bottles of vodka someone included a can of monster which conveniently claims it has green tea as one of it's ingredients. Monster has about 20 different toxins including a crapload of aspartame (a known cancer causing toxin) Green tea has been used in asia & eastern europe for thousands of years & continue to exhibit nothing but positive results study after study. I fail to see the point or purpose of even posting this nonsense .
        Well said

- Valdez
        NeighbourMike -
        I think this article was posted not for relevance to the reader, but as a catchy title. It's not like am isn't reporting the truth, the guy is suing for green tea in monster. While that may not be the title.
        brutostronzo -
        Ok and a lady burnt her mouth on a cup of coffee at mcdonalds and sued mcdonalds for a few million. That's the truth too, why not post that article as well? I Get the drift, they are simply the messenger, but why report irrelevant articles to an audience that is looking to set goals, lift heavier, faster, leaned out, healthier, look aesthetically superior .. I wasted 4 mins of my life reading an article that I gained nothing from. The information in that article is complete garbage, and it surprised me becsuse up untill that article this site is a gold mine wealth of useful knowledge. I just didn't see the point that's all.
        JD261985 -
        Tell this to the Chinese lol
        ka0tik -
        Originally Posted by brutostronzo View Post
        Ok and a lady burnt her mouth on a cup of coffee at mcdonalds and sued mcdonalds for a few million. That's the truth too, why not post that article as well? I Get the drift, they are simply the messenger, but why report irrelevant articles to an audience that is looking to set goals, lift heavier, faster, leaned out, healthier, look aesthetically superior .. I wasted 4 mins of my life reading an article that I gained nothing from. The information in that article is complete garbage, and it surprised me becsuse up untill that article this site is a gold mine wealth of useful knowledge. I just didn't see the point that's all.
        I understand the point of this post however the relevance of the McDonald's lawsuit is completely false. The grandma did not sue for burning her mouth, she sued to cover her hospital bills from having the coffee spilled on her pubic region by a McDonald's employee. The spill resulted in 2nd and 3rd degree burns....
        mustang0341 -
        Originally Posted by ka0tik View Post

I understand the point of this post however the relevance of the McDonald's lawsuit is completely false. The grandma did not sue for burning her mouth, she sued to cover her hospital bills from having the coffee spilled on her pubic region by a McDonald's employee. The spill resulted in 2nd and 3rd degree burns....
        No doubt and anyone who thinks she didn't deserve some compensation should google the pics of her burns. In her defense she only wanted her medical bills covered but the jury awarded her the millions. Though i do believe she spilled it on herself, but still coffee should never do what happened to her. My Caribou wouldn't even come close to doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
        brutostronzo -
        And what's the relevance of a lawsuit against monster? Because it's label claim it has green tea? But not because he was drinking vodka and monster? No that coudnt have had any significance no wayyy ... So the idiot suing is allegedly saying green tea is bad for you because its in monster and hes going off the facts that.... hmm maybe jack who sold him the magic beanstalk beans told him? Lmfao
        brutostronzo -
        And yes I agree noone should ever be burned and yes she did deserve some form of compensation to cover medical bills. The analogy I was trying to come up with was.. what was the moral of this story? Should we stop drinking green tea because monster failed to warn people of the dangers of green tea?