Get That Bicep Golf Ball - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Get That Bicep Golf Ball


      By Alfonso Moretti, CPT Men's Fitness

      You can curl until you're blue in the face with traditional bicep exercises, but if you want a fully developed upper arm, more specifically, the "golf ball," you have to include brachialis training.

      What It Is: The brachialis muscle.

      Where It Is: The outside of the upper arm, between the bicep and lateral tricep head.

      Exercise #1 - Reverse Curls

      The key is to maintain a neutral, overhand position and avoid any flexion or extension of the wrist during the lift. Lock your elbows at your sides and only raise the weight three-quarters of the way up to really focus on the brachialis. Pause for a moment and lower back down. Shoot for three sets of 8 to 12 reps.

      Exercise #2 - Overhead Curl

      Using a lat pull-down or overhead cable, attach a straight bar and sit directly beneath the pulley. With a narrow grip, arms straight overhead and keeping your elbows pointing forward, curl your arms down so that your hands end up behind your head. Try getting three sets with 12 to 15 reps using perfect form.

      Exercise # 3 - Double Guns Cable Curls

      Standing in a cable crossover setup, set the pulley at shoulder height or above. Grab the handles and with palms face up make a T with your body and arms. Keeping your elbows stationary and locked in position with neutral wrists, curl the weight inward so that your fists end up near your ears. I find three sets in the 10 to 12 rep range best.

      It’s important to remember we’re trying to target the smaller, more elusive brachialis muscle, not the larger biceps. Therefore the emphasize needs to be on perfect form and use of lighter weights. Try alternating traditional bicep workouts with these three movements and you’ll have the golf ball in no time!
      For more training tips from Alfonso, check out Angry Trainer Fitness.com

      Source: http://www.mensfitness.com/training/...-arm-golf-ball
      Comments 11 Comments
      1. WhatsaRoid?'s Avatar
        WhatsaRoid? -
        Nice, I'm going to add these back to my training ASAP.
      1. Jkowalik8's Avatar
        Jkowalik8 -
        Originally Posted by WhatsaRoid? View Post
        Nice, I'm going to add these back to my training ASAP.
        I agree these sound fantastic. The brachials have always been tough to get to.
      1. MurphyMove's Avatar
        MurphyMove -
        I am going to add these in to my arms routine today!
      1. evandem27's Avatar
        evandem27 -
        Suggest anyone who does the "Reverse grip curl" typically on lat pull down. Do it 1st :p before you have an insane arm pump and can't curl as far as you can
        Cuz the mighty biceps are to big towards the end of your workout!
      1. nickfury's Avatar
        nickfury -
        Can anybody suggest a way to replicate the effectiveness of the Overhead Curl and Double Gun Cable curls without using a cable/pulley machine? All I have at home are dumbbells, barbells and a chin-up bar.
      1. lonewolf0420's Avatar
        lonewolf0420 -
        This article inspires me to change up my bicep routine :-)

        I did the reverse curls "21's" style. Followed by the high pulley curls, which felt great by the way. I then did a burn out set of concentrateion curls. My biceps were jacked up by the end!!

        I've never been a fan of the double bicep "pose" cable curl.
      1. nonidentity's Avatar
        nonidentity -
        Originally Posted by nickfury View Post
        Can anybody suggest a way to replicate the effectiveness of the Overhead Curl and Double Gun Cable curls without using a cable/pulley machine? All I have at home are dumbbells, barbells and a chin-up bar.
        Do you not have a gym in your town? Mine is like $15/month
      1. lance262's Avatar
        lance262 -
        I learned the hard way that there are 2 tendons that run up into your shoulder that connect your biceps muscle. Whenever I do any bicep exercise that extends my arms back and/or up (overhead cables) it restricts those tendons as they are working and after a while I get tendinitis. It took me a long time to figure out what was going on because I always thought it was from doing shoulder exercises (may still be a factor), but the biggest culprit in my case was the bicep exercises I was doing. I also stopped doing any kind of shoulder pressing that pulls my arms too far back, such as behind the neck barbell presses. My situation may be really unusual, don't know, but I do know most guys never realize their shoulder pain can actually be bicep related. I learned the hard way.
      1. Rahl's Avatar
        Rahl -
        Originally Posted by lance262 View Post
        I learned the hard way that there are 2 tendons that run up into your shoulder that connect your biceps muscle. Whenever I do any bicep exercise that extends my arms back and/or up (overhead cables) it restricts those tendons as they are working and after a while I get tendinitis. It took me a long time to figure out what was going on because I always thought it was from doing shoulder exercises (may still be a factor), but the biggest culprit in my case was the bicep exercises I was doing. I also stopped doing any kind of shoulder pressing that pulls my arms too far back, such as behind the neck barbell presses. My situation may be really unusual, don't know, but I do know most guys never realize their shoulder pain can actually be bicep related. I learned the hard way.
        Valid points. Most shoulder pain I've had has been from tight tendons in he chest and bicep. I've never noticed these particular exercises irritating them however.
      1. lance262's Avatar
        lance262 -
        Originally Posted by Rahl View Post

        Valid points. Most shoulder pain I've had has been from tight tendons in he chest and bicep. I've never noticed these particular exercises irritating them however.
        ...I shouldn't make it sound like I never do them, just has to be really occasional or will mess me up. Probably has something to do with me getting older too lol. Glad someone else can backup shoulder pain from bicep probs.
      1. jgyarnold's Avatar
        jgyarnold -
        Defo going to try this out. Sounds good. Does it work??

        Log in
        Log in