Genetically Modified Corn Making Us Fat - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Genetically Modified Corn Making Us Fat

From Ergo-Log

Genetic modification of corn, or maize, is partly responsible for the expanding proportions of earthlings. Statisticians at the University of Toledo come up with this hypothesis in Nutrition Research and Practice.

Among the powers that be, resistance to genetically modified crops such as GM soya and corn is still synonymous with stupidity and irrationalism. Anyone who refuses to have GM food on their plate is simply too stupid to understand that genetic technology is harmless and useful.

In the eyes of the powers that be, the ignorant masses need educating so that they understand that GM corn is just 'ordinary' corn that has a gene from Bacillus thuringiensis built into it by genetic engineers. This Bt gene makes GM corn capable of making its own insecticide, thus protecting itself against insects that eat the plant. The insecticide is harmless to humans and increases farmers' yields.

So nothing to worry about.

But according to researchers at the University of Toledo, this is not the case. They compared American figures on the increase in obesity with data on the consumption and production of food, and observed that although the average American has increased considerably in girth since 1995, since 2000 he or she has actually been eating less.

The researchers also found a correlation between the consumption of corn and obesity. The relationship between the two is almost 1 to 1.

When the researchers looked for data on the percentage of corn grown in the US that has been genetically tampered with, they produced the figure above. The increase in the number of obese people in the US is almost exactly the same as the disappearance of unmodified corn in the American farmlands.

The researchers suggest it's time to examine GM corn more closely. "These observations prompted us to hypothesize that consumption of GM corn products may contribute to rising obesity trends", they write. "We speculate that the bacterial antigen derived from the Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) entomocidal crystalline protein protoxin, which is genetically engineered into corn to confer resistance to insect pests, may be the underlying culprit that causes anomalous adipose tissue dysregulation and obesity development."

"The implications of our results and the new hypothesis raised here are provocative but testable, as the effects of GM corn products can be assessed in molecular and animal models of obesity."

Source:
      Nutr Res Pract. 2011 Jun;5(3):253-9.

Source: http://www.ergo-log.com/is-gm-corn-m...icans-fat.html
      Comments 13 Comments
        toddgranit -
        High fructose corn syrup is what is making us fat. It's the main ingredient in almost every pre packaged food in the grocery store these days.
        bdmcleod -
        Examine more closely? How many hundreds of studies have been done on GMO?
        Swordfish II -
        Correlation does not equal causation.

Concur with todd, there has been an increase in HFCS is food over the years that could play a role. PCB's could have effect too. There is also a statistic that the average testosterone level decreases 10% every 10 years which could also have an impact.
        Torobestia -
        Originally Posted by Swordfish II View Post
        Correlation does not equal causation.

Concur with todd, there has been an increase in HFCS is food over the years that could play a role. PCB's could have effect too. There is also a statistic that the average testosterone level decreases 10% every 10 years which could also have an impact.
        Good points
        TheLastRonin -
        Originally Posted by bdmcleod View Post
        Examine more closely? How many hundreds of studies have been done on GMO?
        I just watched a documentary recently ( a few actually...got addicted to gmo and water ones) and it stated that there is one scientist (Scandinavian) who is not paid in any way shape or form by the gmo suppliers,manufacturer's etc. That is in the entire world. One. The rest are in the employment of those companies and so their "studies" are suspect. On a side note there is also only one government inspector/regulator for the bottled water companies in the US. One. She also has other duties. The world is crazy.
        TheLastRonin -
        I just watched a documentary recently ( a few actually...got addicted to gmo and water ones) and it stated that there is one scientist (Scandinavian) who is not paid in any way shape or form by the gmo suppliers,manufacturer's etc. That is in the entire world. One. The rest are in the employment of those companies and so their "studies" are suspect. On a side note there is also only one government inspector/regulator for the bottled water companies in the US. One. She also has other duties. The world is crazy.
        bdmcleod -
        Originally Posted by TheLastRonin View Post
        I don't believe the "only one researcher" bit, but let's go with it. All studies are peer reviewed with data that can be duplicated. If it can be duplicated, then it doesn't matter who's paying whom. This, of course, applies to the studies following the scientific method only.

Another point. Food consumption is going up 1.7% per year, water consumption is 2%. GMO offers higher yields with decreased water consumption. These are both proven in studies and real world testing. Take away GMO and the world literally starves.
        TheLastRonin -
        Well you would have to do the research yourself and be surprised. All studies are not peer reviewed unless they HAVE been peer reviewed. Show me one study that has been peer reviewed and duplicated on the health benefits or lack of detriments of GMO foods. (I should mention the Scandinavian scientist is researching long term health side effects as well. There are many short term studies which are irrelevant. )
        Also that last paragraph is a lot of propaganda. BS frankly. We produce more than enough and have long before GMO foods to feed the world easily many times over. The reason we do not is politics.
        There is a book written by a scientist called" failure to yield" in which he showed that in 20 years gmo foods have failed to increase yield over traditional seed crops.Also in many cases lessening production. We can see this today in places like India where farmers are killing themselves because the so called "super crops" have failed them and they are now bankrupt or so heavily in debt that they have no way out.
        I also will add that one of the things that is reprehensible that gmo foods do is not follow the path of the "suicide gene" built inside and infect local plants of a similar variety(Mexico and corn for instance) thus taking over the plant but reducing the effectiveness in the area compared to plants that have been previously adapted over thousands of years.
        I could list a bunch of studies for you to read and documentaries that you could watch and cross reference what is stated inside but you should find this stuff out on your own. You are mislead.
        I won't post anymore as you are not very well informed and I don't want to spend a lot of time on this ad nauseam. Just don't buy into the BS. Start with researching Monsanto.
        bdmcleod -
        Originally Posted by TheLastRonin View Post
        Well you would have to do the research yourself and be surprised. All studies are not peer reviewed unless they HAVE been peer reviewed. Show me one study that has been peer reviewed and duplicated on the health benefits or lack of detriments of GMO foods. (I should mention the Scandinavian scientist is researching long term health side effects as well. There are many short term studies which are irrelevant. )
        Also that last paragraph is a lot of propaganda. BS frankly. We produce more than enough and have long before GMO foods to feed the world easily many times over. The reason we do not is politics.
        There is a book written by a scientist called" failure to yield" in which he showed that in 20 years gmo foods have failed to increase yield over traditional seed crops.Also in many cases lessening production. We can see this today in places like India where farmers are killing themselves because the so called "super crops" have failed them and they are now bankrupt or so heavily in debt that they have no way out.
        I also will add that one of the things that is reprehensible that gmo foods do is not follow the path of the "suicide gene" built inside and infect local plants of a similar variety(Mexico and corn for instance) thus taking over the plant but reducing the effectiveness in the area compared to plants that have been previously adapted over thousands of years.
        I could list a bunch of studies for you to read and documentaries that you could watch and cross reference what is stated inside but you should find this stuff out on your own. You are mislead.
        I won't post anymore as you are not very well informed and I don't want to spend a lot of time on this ad nauseam. Just don't buy into the BS. Start with researching Monsanto.
        Forgive my terse response as I'm on my phone and can't give a proper response til I get to a computer.
        You mentioned the age old Indisn farmers are killing themselves talking point. The percentage of GMO farmers who committed suicide was at the exact same level as their population subset. Not higher or lower. But feel free blame Monsanto.
        Vengeance187 -
        Take away GMO and the world literally starves.
        Complete BS. Stop making stuff up, it pisses me off. GMO does nothing more than increase farmers' profit. It benefits the "world" in no way whatsoever. After millions of years we didn't just come to need GMO or starve to death. A lot of Americans don't even eat fruit or vegetables...
        bdmcleod -
        Originally Posted by Vengeance187 View Post
        Complete BS. Stop making stuff up, it pisses me off. GMO does nothing more than increase farmers' profit. It benefits the "world" in no way whatsoever. After millions of years we didn't just come to need GMO or starve to death. A lot of Americans don't even eat fruit or vegetables...
        What do you think cows and chicken eat? Mostly corn.
        GMO represents over 80 percent of the corn in the world. 90 percent of soybeans, and 90 percent of cotton seed(think cooking oil). Take those away and you think the world does fine? The average person consumes 7 pounds of corn per day between their diet, the feed their protein eats, and other things.
        It takes 7 pounds of corn feed to get 1 pound of beef, and around 3 pounds for 1 pound of chicken.
        The fact that you think the world would do fine without the most fundamental aspect of their diet is laughable, and the fact that you think just because someone doesn't eat veggies they don't eat GMO is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.
        Vengeance187 -
        What do you think cows and chicken eat? Mostly corn.
        Cows aren't even supposed to eat corn. Why do you think they're so fat? Yes, get rid of the corn fed cows in favor of grass fed and the world would be much better off.
        GMO represents over 80 percent of the corn in the world. 90 percent of soybeans, and 90 percent of cotton seed(think cooking oil). Take those away and you think the world does fine?
        Of course. Replace ALL GMO with the original counterparts we adapted to eat and the world not only does fine, it will get healthier. GMO just increases a farmers profits, nothing more.
        The fact that you think the world would do fine without the most fundamental aspect of their diet is laughable, and the fact that you think just because someone doesn't eat veggies they don't eat GMO is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.
        The fact that you think the world would starve without GMO is the stupidest thing I've ever heard...
        Swordfish II -
        Originally Posted by Vengeance187 View Post
        Cows aren't even supposed to eat corn. Why do you think they're so fat? Yes, get rid of the corn fed cows in favor of grass fed and the world would be much better off.
        Of course. Replace ALL GMO with the original counterparts we adapted to eat and the world not only does fine, it will get healthier. GMO just increases a farmers profits, nothing more.The fact that you think the world would starve without GMO is the stupidest thing I've ever heard...
        Oh God a Paleo person :rolleyes: