• Full Body Tabata Workout

By Mike Simone Men's Fitness

There's nothing more natural than using your own body weight in combination with running to test your limits in terms of cardiovascular endurance and stamina. Structure the routine properly and you've got some serious hard work on your hands. We asked Will Lanier, a CF-L1 Coach at CrossFitNYC, for a high-intensity tabata workout in combination with a complex body weight routine to help you see where you stand.

What is tabata training?

"Tabata falls under the category of high intensity training or high intensity interval training (HIIT). Any exercise can be incorporated into the Tabata training (air squats, push-ups and pull-ups are the most popular). The basic outline of the Tabata training method is: 20 seconds of intense training (max effort/max reps) with 10 seconds of rest for a total of 8 sessions or rounds," Lanier says.

Tabata Run/Full Body Tabata Workout Routine

Exercise One: Sprint 400 meters
      Exercise Two: Tabata Squats
      As many squats as possible in 20 seconds, 10 seconds rest, repeat 7 more rounds.
      Exercise Three: Sprint 400 meters
      Exercise Four: Tabata Push-ups
      As many push-ups as possible in 20 seconds, 10 seconds rest, repeat 7 more rounds.
      Exercise Five: Sprint 400 meters
      Exercise Six: Tabata Sit-ups
      As many sit-ups as possible in 20 seconds, 10 seconds rest, repeat 7 more rounds.
      Exercise Seven: Sprint 400 meters

Your heart rate should be racing and your legs will be on fire.
      Source: http://www.mensfitness.com/training/...ll-body-tabata
      Comments 7 Comments
        aLinux -
        Sprint 400 meters, yeah rite, rest 10 and do squats and repeat 6 more times (where on the moon?). Even back in school 15 yrs old, 100 meter dash.. annd im winded to phuck.. ..then drop and gimmie some squats..my ass...oh, then repeat it quickly before time runs out... as if lol.. That's gotta be gayest Tabata I've heard of. I'll stick my saNe ****te routine...less ur in a jet airplane ..nobody runs 400 meters in 20 sec. ...but Tabata is great. I love 2:1 anything, cept this.
        SinisterNix -
        The Tabata protocol was devised for sprinters, using- can you guess, wait for it, waaiiittt for it- sprints!!! Five minutes at a moderate jog/slow run pace, 8 intervals 20 sec work 10 sec rest, 5 more minutes at original pace. If you do it right, as in you are decent at sprinting and you give all 8 intervals everything you've got without holding back, the 5 minute cool down is positively miserable.

The whole "Tabata for a bunch of other crap other than what it was intended for" thing is just plain nonsense. Tabata pullups? Really?
        OrganicShadow -
        I've used HIIT as a form of cardio as I get bored rather easily. It's a quality method but to do it with exercises? Maybe more for the endurance or older athlete but don't expect to get big on it.
        Red Dog -
        @ aLinux // lol that post was hilarious man.
        HardCore1 -
        "Your heart rate should be racing "
        That will also happen going all out on heavy sets of squats or deadlifts for 20 reps. Sounds like a great fat loss and/or endurance routine, but that's all. I might try it once a month during a cut though!
        CopyCat -
        Originally Posted by aLinux View Post
        Sprint 400 meters, yeah rite, rest 10 and do squats and repeat 6 more times (where on the moon?). Even back in school 15 yrs old, 100 meter dash.. annd im winded to phuck.. ..then drop and gimmie some squats..my ass...oh, then repeat it quickly before time runs out... as if lol.. That's gotta be gayest Tabata I've heard of. I'll stick my saNe ****te routine...less ur in a jet airplane ..nobody runs 400 meters in 20 sec. ...but Tabata is great. I love 2:1 anything, cept this.
        If you read it appropriately you would have realized it is not telling you to run 400m in 20 sec. It is telling you to run 400m. Then go into your next exercise... That one you do in the 20 on 10 off protocol. Then continue that pattern.
        willymacmont -
        Originally Posted by aLinux View Post
        Lol. Yo man. Gotta say I have never laughed that hard reading a post. Whether you misread it or whatever, I thought the same thing you did. I think the article was poorly articulated. Oh quick before time runs out... Funny as sh..