• Flu Shots Have Cardiovascular Benefits?

By NICHOLAS BAKALAR New York Times

Getting a flu vaccine is associated with a lower risk of death in people with heart disease, a review of studies has found, and the effect is greatest in those who have had a recent heart attack or chest pain.

The review included five randomized trials that involved more than 6,400 heart patients. In all, there were 246 heart attacks and other major cardiovascular events, and 97 deaths from heart disease.

For patients with stable heart disease, a vaccination decreased the relative risk for a cardiovascular event by 36 percent. For those who had had a heart attack within the last year, the effect was greater: a 55 percent reduction in relative risk. Over all, those who were vaccinated had a 19 percent reduced risk of death.

The authors acknowledge that their conclusions are based on a relatively small number of cardiovascular events and deaths. At the same time, the review, which was published in JAMA, covered all randomized trials done on the subject, and there is no suggestion of inconsistency among them.

“People who don’t like vaccines probably don’t like dying from heart attacks either,” said the lead author, Dr. Jacob A. Udell, a cardiologist at the University of Toronto. “Maybe this is a good enough reason for the skeptics to go and get their flu shots.”

Source: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/1...s&emc=rss&_r=0
      Comments 19 Comments
        Bigcountry08 -
        **** you, you will never convince me to get a flu shot. I eat health and exercise haven't had the flu in like 5 years.
        fightbackhxc -
        Propaganda
        Aubb -
        Complete and utter BS!
        All the toxins in vaccines these days,only those that believe the lies still get them.
        mr.cooper69 -
        I feel sorry for you guys. There is nothing propagandist about the flu vaccine LOL.

You are, however, doing society at large a disservice by not getting one. People look at these things very selfishly...regardless of whether or not you get the flu, you facilitate transmission to sensitive populations (youth/elderly/immunocompromised) by foregoing the vaccine. This is part of the reason there will never be a cure for the flu. The other reason is antigenic drift/shift, but since the vaccine is just propaganda, those concepts are probably fabricated too.
        j4ever41 -
        Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
        I feel sorry for you guys. There is nothing propagandist about the flu vaccine LOL.

You are, however, doing society at large a disservice by not getting one. People look at these things very selfishly...regardless of whether or not you get the flu, you facilitate transmission to sensitive populations (youth/elderly/immunocompromised) by foregoing the vaccine. This is part of the reason there will never be a cure for the flu. The other reason is antigenic drift/shift, but since the vaccine is just propaganda, those concepts are probably fabricated too.
        At least someone on this site is educated.
        Jeff -
        Originally Posted by j4ever41 View Post
        At least someone on this site is educated.
        +1. This.
        Bigcountry08 -
        I feel sorry for you guys. There is nothing propagandist about the flu vaccine LOL. You are, however, doing society at large a disservice by not getting one. People look at these things very selfishly...regardless of whether or not you get the flu, you facilitate transmission to sensitive populations (youth/elderly/immunocompromised) by foregoing the vaccine. This is part of the reason there will never be a cure for the flu. The other reason is antigenic drift/shift, but since the vaccine is just propaganda, those concepts are probably fabricated too.
        Coopers a plant !!! Illuminatie !!! Lol
        djbombsquad -
        Originally Posted by Bigcountry08 View Post
        **** you, you will never convince me to get a flu shot. I eat health and exercise haven't had the flu in like 5 years.
        . Me to
        fightbackhxc -

I know I am such a rotten person for being a social deviant because I don't want to be injected with thymerosol, aluminum, and msg. I wasn't referring to flu vaccines being propaganda but rather the article.
        mr.cooper69 -
        How is the article propaganda? It clearly states that the review included 5 randomized trials with thousands of patients. Science doesn't get much "harder" than that. It's a correlation, not causation. My two cents? People who get vaccinated are generally more health conscious or more educated than those who don't (sorry if you take that the wrong way, but facts are facts), and higher education/health concern is associated with better outcomes.
        fightbackhxc -
        How is the article propaganda? It clearly states that the review included 5 randomized trials with thousands of patients. Science doesn't get much "harder" than that. It's a correlation, not causation. My two cents? People who get vaccinated are generally more health conscious or more educated than those who don't (sorry if you take that the wrong way, but facts are facts), and higher education/health concern is associated with better outcomes.
        I don't understand your logic. Typically it is the people with pathetic diets and low activity that get sick often. My diet is clean with veggies fruits lyposomal vitamin c and glutathione and I don't get sick. I'll let you continue to think mercury, msg, and aluminum are good to inject into your body. Oh and we all know studies can't be bias or untrue. What about the large percentage of people that get the flu post vaccination? It's worthless dude they don't work. Acquired immunity is better.
        JD261985 -
        Well I don't want a heart attack...maybe I will get a flu shot
        j4ever41 -
        Originally Posted by fightbackhxc View Post
        I don't understand your logic. Typically it is the people with pathetic diets and low activity that get sick often. My diet is clean with veggies fruits lyposomal vitamin c and glutathione and I don't get sick. I'll let you continue to think mercury, msg, and aluminum are good to inject into your body. Oh and we all know studies can't be bias or untrue. What about the large percentage of people that get the flu post vaccination? It's worthless dude they don't work. Acquired immunity is better.
        well what you need to ask yourself is how many lives have been saved the last 50 years due to vaccines? forget that question, how many lives are saved each year? How many die each year from not having vaccines available? Flu shot is not worthless especially in certain demographics.
        fightbackhxc -
        Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
        Well I don't want a heart attack...maybe I will get a flu shot
        That's pretty much the logic being perpetuated here
        foreke77 -
        Originally Posted by fightbackhxc View Post
        That's pretty much the logic being perpetuated here
        Not really. Research SUGGESTS (not proves 100%) that getting the flu shot can protect the heart. If you want to bring logic into this, then you are saying that that is what logically follows from what has been stated. False.

You take a whey protein shake because research suggests that it aids in muscle growth and repair. If we follow your "logic", then why take a shake when you can just eat healthy? Why supplement your great diet? After all, supplements are not regulated by the FDA so you dont know what you are putting in your body. The air you breath has plenty of toxins. And the water you drink isnt even 100% pure. So you are complaining about a vaccine that lessens your chances of getting the flu having "toxins" in it. And just because a person on here says that exercise and eat health and havent gotten the flu, by critical thinking standards, it does not follow that therefore thats all you need to do to avoid the flu. Many factors. Smart people on here.

Get the shot. Your percentage of risk drops significantly...coupled with exercise and healthy diet and washing your hands...sounds better to me chief.
        mr.cooper69 -
        You literally have no clue what you're talking about. I don't mean that as an insult per se, but there's just no way we can have this discussion if we're on two different levels of understanding here.
        foreke77 -
        You literally have no clue what you're talking about. I don't mean that as an insult per se, but there's just no way we can have this discussion if we're on two different levels of understanding here.
        Not exactly
        duganmane -
        There are essentially two arguments coming from very extremely opposing positions. The first being that you live a healthy lifestyle by exercising regularly and eating healthy foods in their raw forms where nutrients are most abundant and beneficial. This approach to disease prevention is both healthier for the body and the environment simply because toxins are mostly avoided. Also you are assisting your body's natural defenses which are extremely capable of warding off disease without artificial stimulation. If the first route is not taken then the vaccine is almost like a backup or last resort. It is effective, only slightly however. Studies have been conducted that show only 1-2 people of 100 vaccinated did not obtain the flu virus, however the companies selling them exclude certain data to deceive the public into believing the success rate is higher. On top of the low effectiveness, the chemicals used in vaccines have been linked to autism and autoimmune disorders. Comparing various studies from unbiased sources on vaccination magnify the biggest downside which is that vaccination, including the flu vaccine, has a higher success at causing moderate-extreme neurological damage and side effects than actually preventing the flu. So to me it looks like the vaccines should be ditched. If you want a stronger cardiovascular system, and already exercise regularly, consider a clean source of Omega 3 and make sure you are getting enough vitamin D. Vitamin D itself is more effective at preventing flu infections than vaccines.
        fightbackhxc -
        Originally Posted by duganmane View Post
        There are essentially two arguments coming from very extremely opposing positions. The first being that you live a healthy lifestyle by exercising regularly and eating healthy foods in their raw forms where nutrients are most abundant and beneficial. This approach to disease prevention is both healthier for the body and the environment simply because toxins are mostly avoided. Also you are assisting your body's natural defenses which are extremely capable of warding off disease without artificial stimulation. If the first route is not taken then the vaccine is almost like a backup or last resort. It is effective, only slightly however. Studies have been conducted that show only 1-2 people of 100 vaccinated did not obtain the flu virus, however the companies selling them exclude certain data to deceive the public into believing the success rate is higher. On top of the low effectiveness, the chemicals used in vaccines have been linked to autism and autoimmune disorders. Comparing various studies from unbiased sources on vaccination magnify the biggest downside which is that vaccination, including the flu vaccine, has a higher success at causing moderate-extreme neurological damage and side effects than actually preventing the flu. So to me it looks like the vaccines should be ditched. If you want a stronger cardiovascular system, and already exercise regularly, consider a clean source of Omega 3 and make sure you are getting enough vitamin D. Vitamin D itself is more effective at preventing flu infections than vaccines.
        Excellent post.