Fine Tune Your Diet - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Fine Tune Your Diet

By Mike Simone Men's Fitness

For all of our fans who shoot us questions on our Twitter and Facebook Page, this one is for you. Each week, we will tap into our pool of editors and experts to help with any questions or challenges you are having with your fitness regimen. This week, as we've official entered into the spring season, we know you're going to want to be beach-ready in a couple months. We got a hold of registered dietician, certified trainer, founder of TRyMFitness and correspondent to HUMANFITPROJECT, Tim McComsey to answer your questions about getting your diet dialed to maximize your spring conditioning workouts.

What should I avoid eating after workout?

“As soon as a workout is complete you want to replenish calories and nutrients lost during that workout. The foods that hinder this are high fat and high fiber foods. The fat and the fiber in any foods will slow the absorption of the nutrients needed to replenish glycogen stores that supply us with energy to workout again the next day. Grab a protein shake with some fruit!”

Are there natural remedies for bloating and gas?

"The first you need to do is, eliminate any foods or liquids that cause either. That comes down to you know how your body reacts to certain things. (diet sodas, juices, etc.) The best remedies to treat the symptoms include, colon cleanses, ginger and dandelion teas, parsley, and garlic. Certain yoga poses also offer relief from bloating and gas. From a preventative perspective, taking your time while eating and choosing to eat foods more slowly can help avoid consuming extra oxygen."

What's the idea behind eating multiple small meals vs. three normal size ones?

"The idea behind consuming multiple small meals a day vs. three 'normal' size meals is that you control your blood sugar levels and insulin production, control hormones better, have more energy, reduced food cravings, less hunger, reduce body fat storage, which all contributes to the ablility to maintain lean muscle mass. Smaller and more periodic feedings that include protein keep your body’s supply of amino acids in check to keep any amino acids from being used for energy. Eating more of the right foods and more often will help to speed our metabolism by the idea of thermic energy of feeding (energy to digest food)."

Can you eat too much protein? How much do we need?

"Eating 'too much protein' is a tough one to answer. First off, eating more than 2 grams per pound of bodyweight is extreme and not anymore useful to a healthy person. Second of all, protein has 4 calories / grams to an excessive amount in a normal nutrition plan could produce a person to overeat calories and gain weight unwanted weight.

A healthy person that works out or exercises regularly could require 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight per day. However, the general rule is to consume at least 1 gram protein per pound of bodyweight per day to help with performance and to ensure your body gets all the amino acids it needs."

What are some good snack options to keep at my office?

“If you're stuck at the office often without food good choices the best choice would be to pack healthy nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, pistachios), nut butter, hummus, quality protein powder, Greek yogurt, a home-made protein bars, veggie sticks, easy pop tuna cans or packs, and fruit. Be careful with your portions and all of these can keep you full in between regular meals."

Source: http://www.mensfitness.com/training/...l-in-your-diet
      Comments 1 Comment
        u393367 -
        I'd like more clarification on the bloating and gas issue, as that answer was way too vague.. And I'm having that problem with tons of sulfur farts and bloating since tweaking my diet.. Too much protein possibly? I can't see any other real difference maker but would love to hear anyone else's take on this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.