FDA Seizes DMAA From G.N.C. - AnabolicMinds.com
    • FDA Seizes DMAA From G.N.C.

By NATASHA SINGER and PETER LATTMAN New York Times

Federal prosecutors have asked judges in two states to authorize the seizure of more than 3,200 cases of controversial workout products from warehouses operated by G.N.C., the nation’s largest specialty retailer of dietary supplements.

With names like Jack3d and OxyElitePro, the workout products contain a stimulant called dimethylamylamine, or DMAA for short. In April, the Food and Drug Administration warned consumers that DMAA was an illegal dietary ingredient and that products containing the stimulant could elevate blood pressure, potentially leading to heart attacks.

After the agency’s warning, USPlabs, the maker of Jack3d and OxyElite Pro, said the company for business reasons had decided to stop making DMAA products. Some leading retailers withdrew their remaining stocks of DMAA products from store shelves, but G.N.C. continued to sell its inventory.

Greg Miller, a spokesman for G.N.C., said in an e-mail on Friday that the company believed DMAA to be a “safe, legal dietary ingredient.”

But in a challenge to G.N.C., the Justice Department, acting at the behest of the F.D.A., requested court-ordered seizures this week of both Jack3d and OxyElitePro from G.N.C. warehouses in Leetsdale, Pa., and Anderson, S.C.

According to a complaint filed in Federal District Court in Pittsburgh, the F.D.A. conducted an inspection of the G.N.C. warehouse in Leetsdale this month and collected physical samples, photographed the products and seized shipping records. After the inspection, F.D.A. officials notified G.N.C. that the products were adulterated and being illegally held by the company. On June 11, the F.D.A. ordered G.N.C. to detain the products.

Federal prosecutors filed a similar complaint on Tuesday in Federal District Court in Anderson, S.C., seeking a seizure of the same products at a G.N.C. facility there.

Because the dietary supplement industry tends to voluntarily heed F.D.A. public advisories, the agency rarely feels compelled to take the aggressive tack of seizing products.

Shelly L. Burgess, an F.D.A. spokeswoman, said the agency would not comment.

Mr. Miller, the G.N.C. spokesman, said the company would not distribute the products at its Leetsdale warehouse until the issue with the F.D.A. had been resolved. But, he said, “G.N.C. will continue to sell through its remaining inventory of the products in its stores.”

Mr. Miller added that it was unclear to the company why the F.D.A. had initiated the seizure request, given that DMAA-containing products were no longer being made and that distributors other than G.N.C. also had inventories of the products.

“Given this situation,” Mr. Miller wrote in his e-mail, “it is hard to view this action as anything other than a biased agency action against G.N.C. in retaliation for G.N.C.’s stance on DMAA.”

Since early 2008, the F.D.A. has received reports of at least 86 health problems, including at least five deaths, in consumers who used DMAA products. Although such reports do not prove that the stimulant directly caused health problems, agency officials have warned people not to consume the ingredient.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/22/bu...s&emc=rss&_r=0
      Comments 16 Comments
        jbryand101b -
        I dislike dmaa any ways.
        TheMovement -
        Dang the FDA actually dropped the hammer on those Gwhos
        mtinsideout -
        I'm actually a little surprised by this, I thought GNC would have dumped all of its remaining DMAA products after the FDA claimed it was unsafe to the consumer and issued warnings to all of the major supplement companies.
        never2late -
        Yeah, I never liked having the freedom to choose what I put in my own body either.

Originally Posted by jbryand101b View Post
        I dislike dmaa any ways.
        pyrobatt -
        Originally Posted by never2late View Post
        Yeah, I never liked having the freedom to choose what I put in my own body either.
        Druggies say this sarcastically too :)

I say leave dmaa alone. If people wouldn't pop these like the old hydroxycut they wouldn't pull them off the market.
        Those service men who took it before bootcamp are a prime example of stupidity. 100 mg of 1.3 and who knows how much caffeine.
        they took several scoops of jack3d.
        FireRescue -
        "the Food and Drug Administration warned consumers that DMAA was an illegal dietary ingredient "

DMAA is not currently illegal is it. It is being closely watched and will be banned soon I'm sure but currently it is not illegal correct?
        cobraman93 -
        I didn't realize it was suddenly made illegal. I dont use the stuff but to say that this product may have caused 5 deaths and yet tobacco is legal is just stupid. I dont want them telling us what we can and cant use but they need to come up with a better reason than that
        propho -
        DMAA has always made me feel a bit off so I'm not upset.. I feel like anything that requires very little of to get the full effect of they will ban because people are dumb and don't know how much a mg is..
        wrxwhit -
        All I know is that Jack3d is king of the PWO's. I have tried many and nothing else has ever given me the focus, energy etc during a workout. I have stocked up and looking to buy more! It's the stupid people who ruin it for the rest of us.
        jbryand101b -
        No, exogenous testosterone suspension is the king of pre workouts.

Ephedrine is still available. Eca is all you need. Dmaa is like crystal meth.
        kswiss -
        Wether or not this is harmful to you, they have bigger things that kill people everyday that are legal that they need to worry about. Worry bout alcohol and tobacco. Give us are supps and legalize pot and get rid of **** that is actually harmful. If you want to make a real difference make fast food amd all this processed **** illegal and you will save millions of lifes
        jwal -
        Products like ib profen and nsaids or however that's spelled kill something crazy like 16,000 people a year,
        Patrick Arnold -
        There is no law specifically outlawing the possession or sale of DMAA. Its just that the FDA has stated that in their opinion it does not qualify as a dietary supplement and they believe it may be unsafe so they advised people to stop selling it. GNC was defiant and kept selling it and the FDA didnt like that. GNC can always take the FDA to court, others have done so in such cases. However that isnt likely going to happen
        jin -
        Originally Posted by pyrobatt View Post
        Druggies say this sarcastically too :)

I say leave dmaa alone. If people wouldn't pop these like the old hydroxycut they wouldn't pull them off the market.
        Those service men who took it before bootcamp are a prime example of stupidity. 100 mg of 1.3 and who knows how much caffeine.
        they took several scoops of jack3d.
        EVERYONE with a brain says that, man.

Your example shows that DMAA isn't the problem.
        It is idiocy.
        Pure, "Amerikkan" idiocy.
        I would like to see this banned -
        kills more people everyday around the world with drone assassinations and depleted uranium and all sorts of other cowardly shyte
        than DMAA ever could.

Ban the Federal government (corporation that it is).
        Leave our supps alone.
        fueledpassion -
        GNC is right to speculate the alterior motive that the FDA likely has. Why did the FDA go after GNC and not other distributors? Notice that they go after the guys with all the money.

I'm telling you, a large percentage of the FDA's income is from FINES, NOT TAX MONEY. This means that they have to strategically figure out ways to grab income. I bet anything that they either

1) fine the heck out of GNC for it OR

2) take the DMAA and sell it to countries that still sell it legally.

or they actually could do both and get even more income from the whole deal.
        pyrobatt -
        Originally Posted by jin View Post

EVERYONE with a brain says that, man.

Your example shows that DMAA isn't the problem.
        It is idiocy.
        Pure, "Amerikkan" idiocy.
        I would like to see this banned -
        kills more people everyday around the world with drone assassinations and depleted uranium and all sorts of other cowardly shyte
        than DMAA ever could.

Ban the Federal government (corporation that it is).
        Leave our supps alone.
        Yes. Lets make this about America and not about supplements.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.