FDA Bans Antibiotics In Meat - AnabolicMinds.com
    • FDA Bans Antibiotics In Meat

By Tiffany Gagnon Men's Fitness

For more than two decades, farmers have been using antibiotics to help plumpen their livestock. Problem is, the same medications used to help bulk up cows, pigs, and chickens are also used to treat humans when they get sick. Thus, the popular food-production practice has contributed widespread resistance to antibiotics. But that's all about to change. This week, the Food and Drug Administration implemented a new policy that will phase out the use of antibiotics for growing livestock—and make meat safer for Americans to consume.

The change is set to occur over the next three years and will prohibit farmers and ranchers from putting antibiotics in animals' feed in order to make them grow bigger. The policy will force food producers to obtain prescriptions from a veterinarian and use the drugs for disease-prevention purposes only. (Right now, the antibiotics can be purchased over the counter.)

From a public health perspective, the new rules may help reduce the number of deaths caused by antibiotic resistance. According to an FDA report out earlier this year, 81% of all ground turkey, 69% of pork chops, 55% of ground beef, and 39% of chicken that the agency tested contained antibiotic-resistant bacteria, and each year, approximately two million Americans become ill and 23,000 die from antibiotic-resistant infections.

Source: http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition...iotics-in-meat
      Comments 9 Comments
        pyrobatt -
        I love the fact there are no comments on this yet the "fda to ban trans fat" got a boat load.

My opinion is BOUT TIME and oh ****.

I think it needs to be done BUT farmers are going to lose money thus less local farmers eventually.
        Quatie -
        Great news. Hope its not just America it happens too.
        TheMovement -
        Guess it's a step in the right direction, now to stop ppl from running to the ER for every cold they get
        LizKing531 -
        Originally Posted by TheMovement View Post
        Guess it's a step in the right direction, now to stop ppl from running to the ER for every cold they get
        ^This all the way!
        fueledpassion -
        My question is, what other reason would a farmer use it for other than "disease prevention"? I'm not convinced this will do anything but allow veterinarian pharmacies to rack up the big bucks from prescription drug sales rather than OTC. Requiring prescription makes it harder to get the drugs which creates a shortage in supply thus raising the price of the product. I wouldnt be surprised if it was pharmacy lobbyists that pulled the strings here..

Seriously, the only reason farmers used them in the first place was for "disease prevention" or maybe thats where I'm wrong. Someone help me out here and tell me how this will be any different other than farmers paying more for the same dang antibiotics?
        MANotaur -
        its all a crock of sh*t that the antibiotics make it into your system. First of all-the half lives on those drugs is incredibly short-
        #2-the compounds denature under the heat of cooking
        #3- Even if you ate the meat raw and cut straight off the carcass-the amount of active antibiotics you would get wouldn't be a fraction of the amount you would get from a very SMALL dose of a script you got from your doctor.

Its all scare tactics and its going to come back and bite every single person in the ass that's been bitching and moaning about it because beef prices are about to skyrocket as a result.

hope you hippies are happy-y'all just made one of the best protein sources available unaffordable to the majority of the US.
        fueledpassion -
        Originally Posted by MANotaur View Post
        its all a crock of sh*t that the antibiotics make it into your system. First of all-the half lives on those drugs is incredibly short-
        #2-the compounds denature under the heat of cooking
        #3- Even if you ate the meat raw and cut straight off the carcass-the amount of active antibiotics you would get wouldn't be a fraction of the amount you would get from a very SMALL dose of a script you got from your doctor.

Its all scare tactics and its going to come back and bite every single person in the ass that's been bitching and moaning about it because beef prices are about to skyrocket as a result.

hope you hippies are happy-y'all just made one of the best protein sources available unaffordable to the majority of the US.
        Yeah my wife and I were just wondering how it could even be possible that antibiotics and hormones could really make it to the dinner plate considering all the crap that goes into processing the meat.
        Nihsnek -
        This is another political power move. No research that shows any traces of antibiotics make it past the processing and cooking stage. This move will cause meat prices to surge. FDA needs to be gutted.
        technique88 -
        Originally Posted by MANotaur View Post
        its all a crock of sh*t that the antibiotics make it into your system. First of all-the half lives on those drugs is incredibly short- #2-the compounds denature under the heat of cooking #3- Even if you ate the meat raw and cut straight off the carcass-the amount of active antibiotics you would get wouldn't be a fraction of the amount you would get from a very SMALL dose of a script you got from your doctor. Its all scare tactics and its going to come back and bite every single person in the ass that's been bitching and moaning about it because beef prices are about to skyrocket as a result. hope you hippies are happy-y'all just made one of the best protein sources available unaffordable to the majority of the US.
        You are absolutely right! This kind of media Bulls&$t pisses me off. They completely manipulate the truth. Antibiotic residues are so small that they would never cause a resistance in humans. Farmers use antibiotics because of the mass production of livestock. With such a large population diseases are bound to spread. If thy ban antibiotics there will be so much more wasted livestock.

People can be so stupid. My entire college career was animal sciences. Our Professors demonstrated how the media selectively takes information and pieces it together to bad talk. Antibiotics aren't used for bulking up....what an ignorant statement.

The general population wants to know why their is a resistance to antibiotics...how about that fact that for every cold or sniffle we have, we run to the doctor and guess what happens....he puts you on antibiotics!!!!!! What happened to resting, drinking fluids, and allowing our own immune systems to take care of it.

People love to point their fat fingers.

Oh yeah, check out my avatar....I got tees gains from eating cattle that was given trenbolone, not years of hard work and dedication.