• Are Energy Drinks Heart Safe?

By Shawn Radcliffe Men's Fitness

We all know that an energy drink can be great when you need a quick boost, but a new study is again calling their safety—more specifically, their effects on heart health—into question. Should you be worried?

A review of previous research, presented at the 2013 American Heart Association meeting in New Orleans, found that drinking one to three energy drinks could mess with your heart rhythm and increase your blood pressure. If severe enough, these changes could lead to an irregular heartbeat or even sudden cardiac death.
      In the seven studies reviewed, which involved people between 18 and 45 years old, those who consumed energy drinks experienced a 4 percent change in the rhythm of their heart. In addition, their systolic blood pressure—aka the top number on the blood pressure reading—jumped by 3.5 points.

While the changes seem small, they can still cause problems for certain people. According to AHA spokesperson Gordon F. Tomaselli, M.D., those with an existing heart condition or a family history of heart problems, like an irregular heartbeat, should avoid drinking energy drinks.

But if you're generally healthy, do you need to swear them off? Probably not, but the key—like with most things—is moderation. Some men could have an undiagnosed heart condition that could land them in the emergency room after one energy drink too many. Just don't overdo it by downing several cans in one day, and when you do drink one, keep an eye out for these side effects, which could signal a bad reaction:

Racing heart
      Skipping or jumping heartbeat
      Feeling jittery or anxious
      Extended dizzy spells.

Source: http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition...s-heart-health
      Comments 6 Comments
        JD261985 -
        Just drink coffee
        bobbd1989 -
        Thanks for the info. I got myself into a routine of stopping at the shop on the way to the gym and getting a can of energy juice. Recently, thanks to the advice of a PT in my gym, I have know got into a new way of just makin a black coffee before the gym and the only difference is the coffee breath but that's nothing a piece of chewing gum can't sort. Again cheers for the info.
        MiniSeth -
        Subbed to read later
        Docmattic -
        That's something to keep in mind for preworkouts as well.
        MANotaur -
        Originally Posted by Th]

keep an eye out for these side effects, which could signal a bad reaction:

Racing heart
        Skipping or jumping heartbeat
        Feeling jittery or anxious
        Extended dizzy spells.

Source: [URL="http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-drink/energy-drinks-heart-health
        View Post
        http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-drink/energy-drinks-heart-health[/URL]
        The same problem can come about by drinking to much coffee or having a sugar rush. This doesn't point to anything

They fail to mention this however. At least this time they said 'moderation is key'.

Lot of energy drink out today a tally arwnt all that bad as long as they stay within the 200 mg of caffeine range. Nuerotransmitters fuel is one. It co.tins a slew of good vitamins and minerals with relatively little sugar and it also co.tins piracetam for those od Uoull that are interested...
        Also any of the monster tea blends are good aka the green and red teas
        Chub -
        My heart just doesn't know what to do with itself after a night on the vodka monsters ha.