An Egg A Day Is OK - AnabolicMinds.com
    • An Egg A Day Is OK

By NICHOLAS BAKALAR New York Times

Egg yolks are high in cholesterol, but a new analysis adds to the evidence that they are not the dietary sin we once thought they were. The review suggests that for most people, eating one egg a day is not bad for the heart.

Researchers reviewed eight prospective studies including 263,938 subjects and pooled the data for analysis. They found no evidence that eating up to an egg a day increased the risk of heart disease or stroke. The results were the same for men and women and in all age ranges.

Diabetic patients were the only exception. For them, high egg consumption was associated with an increased risk of heart disease and a reduced risk for hemorrhagic stroke. But there were too few diabetics in the studies to draw reliable conclusions.

The authors, writing online this month in the journal BMJ, acknowledge that self-reports regarding food consumption are not always reliable and that most of the studies had no information about the cooking methods, which could have affected the results.

A co-author of the study, Dr. Frank B. Hu, a professor of nutrition and epidemiology at Harvard, said that eating two or three or more eggs a day might be harmful, in theory, although there are no data on that.

“But within the modest range of one a day, which applies to most people, there is no dose-response relationship with higher consumption,” Dr. Hu said.

Source: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...***rss&emc=rss
      Comments 4 Comments
        SSJ17 -
        I always thought that eggs were a great source of HDL cholesterol?
        Buffspartan -
        Dietary cholesterol does NOT increase your blood cholesterol. What increases your cholesterol is Saturated fats and trans fats. And by Saturated fats I mean besides MCTs. Read the facts, the latest studies show the average american can eat 6 eggs per day without any cholesterol increase. The only reason any more than 6 eggs may increase your chol is because of the amount of saturated fats you get when eating that many eggs, not the Cholesterol content. I know a 6'6" guy that eats 1-2 dozen eggs a day, hes fine, another 5'9" guy that eats like 8 eggs a day and even me, a small 5'7" guy eats 3 whole eggs per day and my Cholesterol is 110.
        mrmello -
        I thought we had evolved past the notion that our cholesterol levels comes from the cholesterol in the food we eat. That has been long debunked. Exactly as noted cholesterol levels are affected by the ammount of sat and tras sat fat we eat..
        jman245 -
        i eat 6 hard boiled eggs every day, cholesterol level is good!