Is Eating Paleo Style Healthy? - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Is Eating Paleo Style Healthy?

By Julie D. Andrews Men's Fitness

Q: “I've heard mixed reviews about the Paleo Diet. What gives?”

A: No wonder you're confused. One day we're hearing that the Paleo plan, aka the caveman diet, tied for last place in US News and World Report’s ranking of 29 diets; the next, we're told it rated second best in Consumer Reports' survey of 9,000-plus readers. The former was based on health-expert-panel input; the latter, personal experiences. Amid the frenzy, Paleo took first prize as most online-searched diet in the first days of 2013, reports Experian Marketing Services. Who—and what—is a guy to believe?

First, a quick primer: Paleo's premise is that Paleolithic Era's hunter-gatherer eating habits some 10,000 years back (think: wild game, nuts, berries) are superior to those of the typical modern Western man (think: packaged, processed salt-and-sugar-laden food products). Sounds sane, right? That part of it is. “Large amounts of vegetables, seeds, and fruit along with avoidance of refined carbs, added salt and sugars are healthy changes,” says Stephen Devries, M.D., executive director of the Gaples Institute for Integrative Cardiology.

“The concern,” Devries adds, “is the meat emphasis. Large amounts of red meat should not be encouraged, given associated increased heart-disease and cancer risks.”

But there’s another reason you might want to hit pause on a pure Paleo lifestyle. Foods Wilma and Fred didn't scarf down are forbidden for dieters following their foragers' path—meaning nix all dairy, legumes (low-fat, protein-packed, fiber-full beans and lentils and healthy-fat peanuts), grains (including wheat, oats, corn, rice, and quinoa) and starchy tubers (including phytochemical-rich potatoes and beta-carotene-packed sweet potatoes).

“I can't think of any nutritional reason why such foods should be prohibited,” says Marion Nestle, M.P.H. Ph.D.,Paulette Goddard Professor of Nutrition, Food Studies, and Public Health at NYU. Elimination of food groups can also be hard to maintain long-term. “The basic principles of healthful eating are simple and easy-to-follow: Vary unprocessed foods. Don't overeat.”

A Paleo dieter consumes about 700mg of calcium daily—shy of the recommended 1,000mg for men 19 to 50. Low vitamin D levels—largely in dairy and fortified foods—follows. Cavemen didn't take supplements nor did they slurp down diet soda, which Paleo allows in limited amounts. Most, says Dr. Marion, also didn't live past 30.

Follow Paleo and you will get lean. But as Dr. Nestle puts it: “Health is about where the calories come from.” Bottom line: It may be best to try to incorporate the diet’s best principles (like the focus on whole foods ) into your life—without holding yourself to its extremes. But if you do go full-Paleo, stick to lean proteins, and bend the supplementation rule so that you’re getting the nutrients you need.

Source: http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition...really-healthy
      Comments 33 Comments
        fueledpassion -
        Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
        Let me see if I can decipher this a bit. So you are saying the MCT oil in CO is a saturated fat, but not a saturated fat? Serious question.

Now why are mystiric, stearic, oleic and linoleic acids in CO not of benefit?
        I dont know about the long chain fatty acids and whether or not they r healthy. Half the scientific community says they r (the younger crowd) and the older half says they arent (older crowd). I'm not debating that because I dont really know.

MCT is a saturated fat. Yet the classification is the only similarity that MCT has to other LCT's. It is processed in the liver, releasing a large amount of its energy as heat and the other portion as ketone bodies and does so in the midst of carbs and glycogen in the blood. It has a relationship, although not fully understood, with a rise in GH levels after consumption. It is pure energy and whatever ketones arent used typically are urinsted out later so it rarely stores up as fat, which is very unlike other saturated fats and unsaturated fats. Thats all I'm saying. Totally different effect on the body. MCT's get the same kind of treatment as carbs, without the insulin response.
        oogaly_boogal -
        Originally Posted by CharlesT View Post
        answer-grass fed far more sustainable than ANY other form of agriculture.Look up Joel Salatin/Polyface farm.
        The so called "expert" is a moron because only an idiot would deny the widespread problems gluten causes.

That is incorrect, gras fed, or Organic meat is not sustainable. Something along the lines of 1/3 of the population would starve to death. We would also need to destroy more acres of forest to keep the food supply in a positive flow.

http://www.worldwatch.org/node/4060
        fueledpassion -
        Originally Posted by oogaly_boogal View Post
        That is incorrect, gras fed, or Organic meat is not sustainable. Something along the lines of 1/3 of the population would starve to death. We would also need to destroy more acres of forest to keep the food supply in a positive flow.

http://www.worldwatch.org/node/4060
        Very true point. I work for the largest paper company in the world, and this is our struggle remaining sustainable, especially in other third-world and developing countries like China and India. They are tearing apart the forests to try and keep up with crop demands. In 50 years, famine and starvation will be a huge issue for the world. Lots of people will die, imo.
        CharlesT -
        Originally Posted by Vengeance187 View Post
        This is just BS. Gluten isn't inherently bad for anyone without celiac disease. People shouldn't just generally stop eating peanuts, strawberries, bananas, etcetera ad infinitum. None of the above are bad for people without those respective allergies/sensitivities.
        It absolutely can be. Ketogenic diets range from 50-80+% fats.
        I'm not here to argue or try to change minds but saying that gluten is only harmful to celiacs is 100% false.
        You are just repeating something you think or heard that seems true to you.
        Its widespread ignorance like this that nearly got 3 feet of my wifes intestines removed.
        Vengeance187 -
        Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
        For me, it's all about muscle and nothing else. So in that case, keto has not been and will likely not ever be an option for me since it is not the best diet to consider for retaining muscle mass, since fats are unable to be utilized in heavy lifting.
        What are you talking about? A ketogenic diet is one of the best diets for retaining muscle mass while trying to lose fat. Every long term study I've read proves this. If there are studies that say otherwise, they must be short term studies that aren't recording muscle loss, they're measuring lean mass and observing the short term glycogen depletion. If you're freaked out that you're losing muscle because of that, then a CKD diet may be better for you.
        Originally Posted by CharlesT View Post
        I'm not here to argue or try to change minds but saying that gluten is only harmful to celiacs is 100% false.
        You are just repeating something you think or heard that seems true to you.
        Its widespread ignorance like this that nearly got 3 feet of my wifes intestines removed.
        My statement is 100% true. Intestinal damage from a reaction to eating gluten is exactly what celiac disease is. You sir, are the one spreading the ignorance. Your wife has celiac disease...
        fueledpassion -
        Originally Posted by Vengeance187 View Post
        What are you talking about? A ketogenic diet is one of the best diets for retaining muscle mass while trying to lose fat. Every long term study I've read proves this. If there are studies that say otherwise, they must be short term studies that aren't recording muscle loss, they're measuring lean mass and observing the short term glycogen depletion. If you're freaked out that you're losing muscle because of that, then a CKD diet may be better for you.
        My statement is 100% true. Intestinal damage from a reaction to eating gluten is exactly what celiac disease is. You sir, are the one spreading the ignorance. Your wife has celiac disease...
        Keto sucks for retaining mass and it sucks even worse for building mass. There is no doubt in my mind it is effective for those who are not bodybuilding. But we're on a bodybuilding website, not a site for soccer moms. And since training requires loads of glycogen, you need to eat plenty of carbs, at least if you are training like a man ought to. There is no way around it. You need insulin and glycogen to do two things : build muscle and have energy for anaerobic training. Otherwise your body will resort to amino acid breakdown for glycogen as it is performing anaerobic training. So Keto? Yes, if you aren't doing any anaerobic exercise. This is 30 years of proven science. Keto doesn't reinvent the wheel, it only starves the muscle and shifts the body towards fat metabolism , if you aren't training with high intensity. However, if you train with high-intensity, you'll lose just as much muscle as you do fat, unless you are eating 300% of your protein intake and drinking 50g BCAA's every day. It's not that hard to understand. Fat metabolism can only be utilized in certain environments, since it cannot be broken down quickly - we call that environment aerobic. The other environment is stricly for glycogen and amino acids and it is called anaerobic.
        truthornothin -
        Keto sucks for retaining mass and it sucks even worse for building mass. There is no doubt in my mind it is effective for those who are not bodybuilding. But we're on a bodybuilding website, not a site for soccer moms. And since training requires loads of glycogen, you need to eat plenty of carbs, at least if you are training like a man ought to. There is no way around it. You need insulin and glycogen to do two things : build muscle and have energy for anaerobic training. Otherwise your body will resort to amino acid breakdown for glycogen as it is performing anaerobic training. So Keto? Yes, if you aren't doing any anaerobic exercise. This is 30 years of proven science. Keto doesn't reinvent the wheel, it only starves the muscle and shifts the body towards fat metabolism , if you aren't training with high intensity. However, if you train with high-intensity, you'll lose just as much muscle as you do fat, unless you are eating 300% of your protein intake and drinking 50g BCAA's every day. It's not that hard to understand. Fat metabolism can only be utilized in certain environments, since it cannot be broken down quickly - we call that environment aerobic. The other environment is stricly for glycogen and amino acids and it is called anaerobic.
        I am eating less than 40 grams of carbs per day and have been for weeks, my weight has remained the same while my lovehandles have shrunk to nothing...I suppose the high intensity squat routine I performed at 5:00 am this morning was impossible...I was doing 15 rep sets of 315 ass to grass, 5 to be exact followed by 4 sets of 6 with 405, Then another two sets of 315 x 15 and 220 x 20. How was that possible? Read the science behind keto dieting and you'll understand keto diets are muscle sparing not destroying Just ask Patrick Arnold....But then I guess he doesn't know his stuff either?? Not hardly
        fueledpassion -
        Originally Posted by truthornothin View Post
        I am eating less than 40 grams of carbs per day and have been for weeks, my weight has remained the same while my lovehandles have shrunk to nothing...I suppose the high intensity squat routine I performed at 5:00 am this morning was impossible...I was doing 15 rep sets of 315 ass to grass, 5 to be exact followed by 4 sets of 6 with 405, Then another two sets of 315 x 15 and 220 x 20. How was that possible? Read the science behind keto dieting and you'll understand keto diets are muscle sparing not destroying Just ask Patrick Arnold....But then I guess he doesn't know his stuff either?? Not hardly
        Well I stand corrected. In your case. I will look at the molecular science sometime soon. However, I do understand what takes place. The ketone bodies are the ones who redeem that diet, if anything. Yet, Ketones can only keep up so far. And due to the lack of insulin, essential amino acids are not getting to the muscle cell for growth. Perhaps then, it could be considered.

Also, when do you eat those measily 40g of carbs? I'm curious...is it the night before or maybe first thing AM by any chance?
        truthornothin -
        [QUOTE=fueledpassion;3848816]Well I stand corrected. In your case. I will look at the molecular science sometime soon. However, I do understand what takes place. The ketone bodies are the ones who redeem that diet, if anything. Yet, Ketones can only keep up so far. And due to the lack of insulin, essential amino acids are not getting to the muscle cell for growth. Perhaps then, it could be considered. Also, when do you eat those measily 40g of carbs? Over the course of the day, in sprouts salad greens and broccoli. When you first go low carb you are correct it is very difficult to get in a good workout. It takes sheer will and drive. Clearshot makes it doable. Then after about a week or so in when the body switches over to ketone metabolism it gets easier. I do allow my self one cheat day everytwo weeks where I gorge on carbs cuz' hey, who doesn't like pasta, potatoes, Doritos and Donuts? lol
        oogaly_boogal -
        Well I stand corrected. In your case. I will look at the molecular science sometime soon. However, I do understand what takes place. The ketone bodies are the ones who redeem that diet, if anything. Yet, Ketones can only keep up so far. And due to the lack of insulin, essential amino acids are not getting to the muscle cell for growth. Perhaps then, it could be considered.

Also, when do you eat those measily 40g of carbs? I'm curious...is it the night before or maybe first thing AM by any chance?

Actually that's incorrect, your body to spare your brain, will convert protein into glycogen in times of need. Something like 30-50% of consumed protein, which is why you run such a high fat/protein diet with keto.
        Vengeance187 -
        Originally Posted by truthornothin View Post
        I guess I don't need to respond to him now. He must respect your anecdotal evidence more than a studies' data.
        GO_OUTSIDE! -
        Moderation people. Why does everything have to be all or nothing, because it sells? Extremism is not the answer, and trying to turn back time will never work, besides your waxing poetic on the past. Being a caveman sucked. If their diet was so perfect why did it change? Agriculture is what made the diffenece between which societies conquered the earth. Those agricultural societies did all that conquering on a diet that included grain and dairy and meat... As technology provided better things they adopted them.
        Look at MMA the purist martial arts practioner doesnt stand a chance against the hybrid.
        What im trying to say is take the good, leave the bad and live well. Just because enzyte didnt make your wang bigger doesnt mean everything new is bad.
        fueledpassion -
        Originally Posted by oogaly_boogal View Post
        Actually that's incorrect, your body to spare your brain, will convert protein into glycogen in times of need. Something like 30-50% of consumed protein, which is why you run such a high fat/protein diet with keto.
        I wasn't talking about that in the part you quoted me on. Ketones redeem the diet because they become a steady source of fat-burning energy, along with proteins being broken down, which supports my initial stance on why Keto diet is a bad idea for maintaining or building muscle mass, since protein in the muscle becomes a victim of this diet, with no or very little insulin and carbs to combat this issue.

But the real issue I would have if I jumped on this diet is being able to eat a caloric surplus (or even a maintenance level) while removing an entire macro nutrient.

3000kcals is not easy to obtain with fats and proteins alone (at least for me). And a surplus to gain muscle mass would be even more difficult for me.

I'd rather just have all three macros & do more cardio to lean up. At least then I get the benefit of cardio for my respiratory system such as vascular density.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.