Is Eating Paleo Style Healthy? - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Is Eating Paleo Style Healthy?


      By Julie D. Andrews Men's Fitness

      Q: “I've heard mixed reviews about the Paleo Diet. What gives?”

      A: No wonder you're confused. One day we're hearing that the Paleo plan, aka the caveman diet, tied for last place in US News and World Report’s ranking of 29 diets; the next, we're told it rated second best in Consumer Reports' survey of 9,000-plus readers. The former was based on health-expert-panel input; the latter, personal experiences. Amid the frenzy, Paleo took first prize as most online-searched diet in the first days of 2013, reports Experian Marketing Services. Who—and what—is a guy to believe?

      First, a quick primer: Paleo's premise is that Paleolithic Era's hunter-gatherer eating habits some 10,000 years back (think: wild game, nuts, berries) are superior to those of the typical modern Western man (think: packaged, processed salt-and-sugar-laden food products). Sounds sane, right? That part of it is. “Large amounts of vegetables, seeds, and fruit along with avoidance of refined carbs, added salt and sugars are healthy changes,” says Stephen Devries, M.D., executive director of the Gaples Institute for Integrative Cardiology.

      “The concern,” Devries adds, “is the meat emphasis. Large amounts of red meat should not be encouraged, given associated increased heart-disease and cancer risks.”

      But there’s another reason you might want to hit pause on a pure Paleo lifestyle. Foods Wilma and Fred didn't scarf down are forbidden for dieters following their foragers' path—meaning nix all dairy, legumes (low-fat, protein-packed, fiber-full beans and lentils and healthy-fat peanuts), grains (including wheat, oats, corn, rice, and quinoa) and starchy tubers (including phytochemical-rich potatoes and beta-carotene-packed sweet potatoes).

      “I can't think of any nutritional reason why such foods should be prohibited,” says Marion Nestle, M.P.H. Ph.D.,Paulette Goddard Professor of Nutrition, Food Studies, and Public Health at NYU. Elimination of food groups can also be hard to maintain long-term. “The basic principles of healthful eating are simple and easy-to-follow: Vary unprocessed foods. Don't overeat.”

      A Paleo dieter consumes about 700mg of calcium daily—shy of the recommended 1,000mg for men 19 to 50. Low vitamin D levels—largely in dairy and fortified foods—follows. Cavemen didn't take supplements nor did they slurp down diet soda, which Paleo allows in limited amounts. Most, says Dr. Marion, also didn't live past 30.

      Follow Paleo and you will get lean. But as Dr. Nestle puts it: “Health is about where the calories come from.” Bottom line: It may be best to try to incorporate the diet’s best principles (like the focus on whole foods ) into your life—without holding yourself to its extremes. But if you do go full-Paleo, stick to lean proteins, and bend the supplementation rule so that you’re getting the nutrients you need.

      Source: http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition...really-healthy
      Comments 33 Comments
      1. drewsicle3210's Avatar
        drewsicle3210 -
        The question is, is it sustainable?
      1. CharlesT's Avatar
        CharlesT -
        answer-grass fed far more sustainable than ANY other form of agriculture.Look up Joel Salatin/Polyface farm.
        The so called "expert" is a moron because only an idiot would deny the widespread problems gluten causes.
      1. dwit392's Avatar
        dwit392 -
        Geez ... this article was so standard it could go straight on a US government website. They once again mention a correlation between red meat consumption and heart disease and then try to convince people it is causation without mentioning anything about grass-fed meat.

        Then they do the standard, lean proteins only! Seriously, what is going to happen to me if I eat fatty cuts of meat? It's not like fat is evil...
      1. CSOleson's Avatar
        CSOleson -
        If people just learned that more natural, whole foods are better and to quit with the processed foods, most of our health issues would be fixed.
      1. fueledpassion's Avatar
        fueledpassion -
        red meat is associated with heart disease due to it's saturated fats. This is why he said stick with lean proteins only.

        Too many people on the internet are trying to re-invent the wheel when it comes to healthy dieting. This expert said nothing outside of what has been common, accepted knowledge (based on experience and study) for the past 30 years...
      1. fueledpassion's Avatar
        fueledpassion -
        Originally Posted by CharlesT View Post
        answer-grass fed far more sustainable than ANY other form of agriculture.Look up Joel Salatin/Polyface farm.
        The so called "expert" is a moron because only an idiot would deny the widespread problems gluten causes.

        I also dont understand where you are coming from here with the gluten argument. The expert promoted lean meats, veggies of all types and fruits, nuts etc. all of which are gluten free.

        With the exception of a few grains, pretty much everything he recommended comes naturally in a gluten-free state. Your point doesn't stick, it seems?
      1. Drdanger84's Avatar
        Drdanger84 -
        You can eat sweet Potato on
        A paleo diet. Get ya facts straight
      1. Zatek's Avatar
        Zatek -
        Red meat is only associated with heart disease and cancer because most places serve it as a hamburger with fries fried in artificial fats and water filled with tons of artificial sugar. Red meat is probably the single most healthy food there is, and (natural) saturated fat reduces occurrences of heart disease. Many studies deliberately group saturated fat in with partially hydrogenated oils because they are chemically similar, despite that fact that being chemically similar means pretty much nothing in terms of how they affect the body.
      1. THOR 70's Avatar
        THOR 70 -
        ^spot on. Great to see someone that doesn't just follow the standard national guidelines. In fact, I believe we are fat deficient.
      1. THOR 70's Avatar
        THOR 70 -
        *Nutritional
      1. drewsicle3210's Avatar
        drewsicle3210 -
        Originally Posted by Zatek View Post
        Red meat is only associated with heart disease and cancer because most places serve it as a hamburger with fries fried in artificial fats and water filled with tons of artificial sugar. Red meat is probably the single most healthy food there is, and (natural) saturated fat reduces occurrences of heart disease. Many studies deliberately group saturated fat in with partially hydrogenated oils because they are chemically similar, despite that fact that being chemically similar means pretty much nothing in terms of how they affect the body.
        I enjoyed this post
      1. Rothbard's Avatar
        Rothbard -
        Medical professionals have been feeding us this garbage for years. Thanks to their advice, obesity has skyrocketed.

        By the way, not all adherents to the paleo diet avoid dairy and potatoes in reasonable amounts.
      1. fueledpassion's Avatar
        fueledpassion -
        Originally Posted by Rothbard View Post
        Medical professionals have been feeding us this garbage for years. Thanks to their advice, obesity has skyrocketed.

        By the way, not all adherents to the paleo diet avoid dairy and potatoes in reasonable amounts.
        Well, I don't think our "lack" of saturated fats is causing obesity. Sure, there may be a benefit or two from having a few grams per day but I advise you don't get liberal with it. It was the simple sugars, hydrogenated oils, and high-fructose corn syrup coupled with a shifting culture towards convenience and ease that brought us to our knees. I'm pretty sure you get plenty of saturated fats if you eat out at minimum 3 times per week. I think its a combination of trying to find cheaper sweeteners and cooking agents in liu of a culture that demands a fast meal on-the-go that is making us fat.

        No one eats a wholesome meal anymore - it's usually loaded with refined carbs, small protein portions and loads of fats of all types with little or no fiber. Sure, we need fats but when 40-50% of our diet is made up of fats, that isn't healthy. Not to mention the other 30% is made up of refined carbs, which might as well be fat in itself. That will only make you fatter. I realize that most on this board follow a slightly stricter protocol than that metioned above but the general public pretty much follows this to a T.
      1. Vengeance187's Avatar
        Vengeance187 -
        Originally Posted by CharlesT View Post
        The so called "expert" is a moron because only an idiot would deny the widespread problems gluten causes.
        This is just BS. Gluten isn't inherently bad for anyone without celiac disease. People shouldn't just generally stop eating peanuts, strawberries, bananas, etcetera ad infinitum. None of the above are bad for people without those respective allergies/sensitivities.
        Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
        Sure, we need fats but when 40-50% of our diet is made up of fats, that isn't healthy.
        It absolutely can be. Ketogenic diets range from 50-80+% fats.
      1. fueledpassion's Avatar
        fueledpassion -
        Originally Posted by Vengeance187 View Post
        This is just BS. Gluten isn't inherently bad for anyone without celiac disease. People shouldn't just generally stop eating peanuts, strawberries, bananas, etcetera ad infinitum. None of the above are bad for people without those respective allergies/sensitivities.
        It absolutely can be. Ketogenic diets range from 50-80+% fats.
        Yea I know keto diets have an abnormally high fat intake. You'll never hear me say that removing one of the three macro nutrients is a healthy idea in any diet. All three are needed, some more than others depending on what you are trying to accomplish. For me, it's all about muscle and nothing else. So in that case, keto has not been and will likely not ever be an option for me since it is not the best diet to consider for retaining muscle mass, since fats are unable to be utilized in heavy lifting. I'd basically walk intoa gym and run out of steam 10 minutes into the training on an all fat/protein diet. Granted, my body handles carbohydrates very well, but this is only because I have trained it to handled carbs well.

        To each their own with an opinion I guess but seriously strength and mass training are thrown out on a keto diet. You need elevated glycogen levels to perform high-intensity workouts, especially bodybuilding style training. If you are an athlete, this rings even more true. I'm not saying you can't be productive in any way on keto, I'm just saying for certain goals, and for a well-rounded nutrition, a large portion of carbs should be present and fats should be kept at or below 1/3 of your diet.
      1. DAdams91982's Avatar
        DAdams91982 -
        Obesity started rearing its ugly head when the agricultural age was upon us. Attempting to find faster easier ways to feed mass amounts of people.

        Don't get me wrong, it has helped world hunger 1000x over. But, our society has adopted such food as the staple of all diet.

        Saturated fats are not the devil as the FDA lead people to believe. In fact, eat to low of Sat fats, and watch your hormonal levels become unbalanced quickly (Testosterone drops like a rock).

        To anyone who says sat. fats are bad, I say Coconut Oil.

        /endsatfatargumentinthread :D
      1. fueledpassion's Avatar
        fueledpassion -
        Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
        Obesity started rearing its ugly head when the agricultural age was upon us. Attempting to find faster easier ways to feed mass amounts of people.

        Don't get me wrong, it has helped world hunger 1000x over. But, our society has adopted such food as the staple of all diet.

        Saturated fats are not the devil as the FDA lead people to believe. In fact, eat to low of Sat fats, and watch your hormonal levels become unbalanced quickly (Testosterone drops like a rock).

        To anyone who says sat. fats are bad, I say Coconut Oil.

        /endsatfatargumentinthread :D

        When you say Coconut Oil, are you referring to the MCT that resides in it? MCT oil, while being saturated, cannot be classified as such since it is a medium chain and therefore has an entirely different metabolic pathway and purpose for the body. MCT oil, which is in coconut oil, is the only reason coconut oil is so good for you. And honestly, why consume coconut oil for the MCT when you can just buy pure MCT oil and ditch the long-chain triglycerides?

        I'm not arguing against dietary and long-chain saturated fats because I honestly don't know enough about them to decide whether they are good or bad to have in large amounts. I am however making a comment about Coconut Oil's awesomeness, which isn't really coconut oil but MCT's that make it awesome.
      1. JudoJosh's Avatar
        JudoJosh -
        oh the bro'lore..it burns..
      1. fueledpassion's Avatar
        fueledpassion -
        what part is bro'lore.
      1. DAdams91982's Avatar
        DAdams91982 -
        Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
        When you say Coconut Oil, are you referring to the MCT that resides in it? MCT oil, while being saturated, cannot be classified as such since it is a medium chain and therefore has an entirely different metabolic pathway and purpose for the body. MCT oil, which is in coconut oil, is the only reason coconut oil is so good for you. And honestly, why consume coconut oil for the MCT when you can just buy pure MCT oil and ditch the long-chain triglycerides?

        I'm not arguing against dietary and long-chain saturated fats because I honestly don't know enough about them to decide whether they are good or bad to have in large amounts. I am however making a comment about Coconut Oil's awesomeness, which isn't really coconut oil but MCT's that make it awesome.
        Let me see if I can decipher this a bit. So you are saying the MCT oil in CO is a saturated fat, but not a saturated fat? Serious question.


        Now why are mystiric, stearic, oleic and linoleic acids in CO not of benefit?

        Log in
        Log in