Eat For Your Body Type - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Eat For Your Body Type

By Brandon Hahn Athletic Xtreme

Lose 25 pounds in 4 weeks! Get ripped in 6 weeks! Lose the weight, get your beachbody back! Those types of titles are endless. The diets are ridiculous. Why does one diet work for your friend and not you? Diets are geared towards specific body types. Understand your body type and you will shed the weight.

There are three main body types. These body types are ectomorph, mesomorph, and endomorph.

Ectomorph characteristics:
      Tall and slim
      Considered a hardgainer
      Longer Arms & Legs
      Fast Metabolism
      Hard to put on muscle that shows
      Constantly need to increase calories to gain weight
      Best Example: Most male models

Mesomorph characteristics:
      Athletic and fit
      Defined muscles
      Classic symmetry (wide shoulders, narrow waist, big legs)
      Gains and loses weight easily
      Typically faster metabolism
      Best example: Most sprinters

Endomorph characteristics:
      Average build with additional fat
      Easily gains fat
      Somewhat easily gains muscle
      Mostly shorter and round, not always
      Slow Metabolism
      Best example: People that choose not to exercise

A lot of people do not fall within one body type. Most people will find they cross into two body types. Most people with two types end up as meso-endo or ecto-meso. Decide which characteristics fit your body. Figure out which type or types define your body.

There are plenty of different types of diets out there. Again, these diets focus on specific body types. Letís look at the diets that fit each body type.

Ectomorphs

An ectomorph has a fast metabolism and has a hard time gaining weight. Ectomorphs should not have to diet. If a diet was necessary, restricting calories would be the best choice. They tend to burn through carbs. Reducing carbs would not be an ideal choice. Reduce calories in equal amounts from protein, fats, and carbs.

Mesomorphs

A mesomorph tends to lose fat fairly easy. A reduced calorie diet would be the best choice for a diet, similar to the ectomorph. Mesomorphs have a great deal of muscle compared to fat. So, it would be wise to keep protein slightly higher than fat and carbs. A typical bodybuilders maintenance diet would be the best choice (Note: High Protein, Moderate Carbs, Moderate-Low Fats).

Endomorphs

An endomorph has a hard time losing weight. A diet that restricts carbs would be the best choice for endomorphs. Endomorphs tend to have some level of insulin resistance. Carbs are harder to digest. Blood sugar ends up being hard to control. Do not overdo on fats in this diet either. Cycling carbs would bode well for this type.

Ecto-Meso

The ecto-meso cross tends to build muscle easier than a pure ecto. The fast metabolism allows ecto-meso types to eat a ton. A typical diet would focus on a reduced calorie diet. They would still want to keep protein slightly higher. Reducing calories with a focus on healthier foods would be the best choice.

Meso-Endo

Meso-endo seems to be the most common body type. Metabolism is average and diet needs to be spot on. Fat gain is expected. Focus on a restricted carbohydrate diet. A diet similar to the cyclic ketogenic diet or carb cycling diet would be a good option.

Be honest with yourself. This is the only way to get ahead. Think positive but be honest. Write down the foods you eat and how they make you feel. A detailed journal is the easiest way to make diet adjustments. Dieting is not difficult unless you make it difficult.

Source: http://www.athleticx.net/articles/di...our-body-type/
      Comments 18 Comments
        pyrobatt -
        I'm convinced bodytypes don't exist.
        you're constantly changing and your "body type" is unique to the person.
        Bigcountry08 -
        Yeah I'm lookin in the mirror right now and like none of the above ??? Muscular with decent amount of subcutaneous fat over the muscle lol. I have a bulking body type.
        XIXOX -
        I agree with pyrobatt ! Diet and training determine your body type. But we are not egal anybody are unique
        JDog479 -
        I wouldn't go far as to say that body types don't exist. But they are drastically over stated for the most part.
        ricroc -
        I'm on board with what all four of you have said.
        maul89 -
        Originally Posted by pyrobatt View Post
        X10
        Philshred -
        Bodytypes... As if someone that never met you could describe to you what you are and aren't...
        compudog -
        The whole body type thing is just a generalisation based on some individual's ad hoc observations. As far as I can tell there is no actual science behind it. If anyone knows of any (scientific) study that shows how these body types are expressed genetically, and that they're templates as indicated, I'd be happy to be corrected.
        twiztid7 -
        Yet we still get these "experts" cramming this broscience down the publics throats and in the end all it does is give people lame excuses that the majority accept. SMMFH
        IrishSoldier -
        Bodytypes do exist but can be altered of course. I got so many pure ectos around my college. 100lb twigs that are like 6 foot 3
        Bigcountry08 -
        Originally Posted by IrishSoldier View Post
        Bodytypes do exist but can be altered of course. I got so many pure ectos around my college. 100lb twigs that are like 6 foot 3
        Ectos or just not willing to eat right? My boss is 6,5 150 and told me he wanted to start bulking up today, I went over a basic diet plan and he said that it was to much food and would be to hard to do. Most "hard gainers" if you ask me are just not disciplined enough to eat enough. It's not fun eating a dozen eggs a day and a pound and a half of chicken not to mention 1000g potato.
        mr.cooper69 -
        No such thing as somatotypes. No evidence to back them up. A person's build is a function of bone structure, fat mass, lean body mass, height, fat deposition patterns, and much much more.

Conversely, what a person should or shouldn't eat is a function of insulin sensitivity, basal metabolic rate, total LBM content, activity level, exercise intensity, and more.

Seeing as there is no clear overlap between pre-disposing factors to body-type and predisposing factors to diet structure (perhaps maybe fat mass to insulin sensitivity), this is all a bunch of nonsense.
        EatMoar -
        Originally Posted by pyrobatt View Post
        Agreed. I used to be endo but my metabolism has increased ten fold since I became muscular. The way I see it, restricting carbs, increase fats will work for cutting. And bulking just a calorie surplus of healthy whole food. No need to eat for your body type
        compudog -
        After I thought about it for a bit, I realised that the problem with this bodytype thing is the underlying assumptions. Basically, it's assuming that the "meso" type is superior to the other 2. So if you're an "ecto", you this to become a "meso". If you're an "endo", you do that to become a "meso". The implication is, if you're not like *me* you're doing something wrong, and here's how to fix it. Which is more than slightly obnoxious. I think it is indeed genentic how much body fat a person carries. Telling someone it's something they can control is a recipe for neurosis. For sure anyone can get stronger and add muscle, but how that's going to look varies a lot from person to person. I've seen great big guys with really high body fat squatting 700 lb, but I've also seen little skinny dudes doing the same thing, and also bodybuilder types doing the same thing. I'm absolutely certain that all of them had to have considerable training to get to that point. So now someone is going to come along and say the big guy and the little guy are doing it wrong because they haven't got the *right* body type? I have to call B.S. on that.
        JDog479 -
        Originally Posted by compudog View Post
        After I thought about it for a bit, I realised that the problem with this bodytype thing is the underlying assumptions. Basically, it's assuming that the "meso" type is superior to the other 2. So if you're an "ecto", you this to become a "meso". If you're an "endo", you do that to become a "meso". The implication is, if you're not like *me* you're doing something wrong, and here's how to fix it. Which is more than slightly obnoxious. I think it is indeed genentic how much body fat a person carries. Telling someone it's something they can control is a recipe for neurosis. For sure anyone can get stronger and add muscle, but how that's going to look varies a lot from person to person. I've seen great big guys with really high body fat squatting 700 lb, but I've also seen little skinny dudes doing the same thing, and also bodybuilder types doing the same thing. I'm absolutely certain that all of them had to have considerable training to get to that point. So now someone is going to come along and say the big guy and the little guy are doing it wrong because they haven't got the *right* body type? I have to call B.S. on that.
        But it is something we can control. That's why people diet, lift weights, and do cardio. Telling someone they're fat and can't help it because of genetics is almost as worse then telling the same person the could clean up their diet and reap the benefits.
        trade04 -
        There are definite different genetic body types and it's not based on diet. I am the classic Meso-Endo and the diet recommendations were spot on. I have to manage my carbs. Now my best friend is Ecto he can eat carbs drink carbs all day long and not gain not 1 f cking pound. And when he does gain weight when he gets in his 50( based on other older males in his linkage) it will be. the belly area ; where as most rondos gain in mid section and Brest area.
        compudog -
        Originally Posted by JDog479 View Post
        But it is something we can control. That's why people diet, lift weights, and do cardio. Telling someone they're fat and can't help it because of genetics is almost as worse then telling the same person the could clean up their diet and reap the benefits.
        Maybe you can control it. But maybe everyone isn't like you. Some people take to bulking/cutting like a fish to water. For others it might be a monumental struggle to lose or gain a single pound.

The point isn't to tell anyone what they can or can't do. The point is to *not* tell people what they can and can't do. If someone asks for help with their diet and/or training then the appropriate thing to do is to ask what they're trying to achieve, rather than assuming they want to look like a bodybuilder. In any case, even if they do want to look like a bodybuilder, is it realistic to say that *anyone* can get into competition ready shape if they just try hard enough? Of course it isn't.

So if people want some guidance it might be helpful to provide some pointers based on where that individual is and what direction they want to go in, but to assume that everyone wants to look a certain way and give out advice accordingly just doesn't make a lot of sense.
        fueledpassion -
        Originally Posted by Bigcountry08 View Post
        Ectos or just not willing to eat right? My boss is 6,5 150 and told me he wanted to start bulking up today, I went over a basic diet plan and he said that it was to much food and would be to hard to do. Most "hard gainers" if you ask me are just not disciplined enough to eat enough. It's not fun eating a dozen eggs a day and a pound and a half of chicken not to mention 1000g potato.
        On the contrary, I'm 5'5", 165lbs and would surely consider myself an "ecto-meso"...if such a thing really exists. I eat 3000-3200 calories per day to maintain the mass that I have. Granted, I'm leaner than most but still. That's alot for 165lbs.

I know plenty of 6' 200lb men that are at comparable body fat vs lean mass numbers as I am and they eat about the same or a little less than I do. So obviously there is some truth to this notion of "body types". If I were to reach 200lbs, it would take 6000+ calories/day to manufacture that extra muscle and nearly 4500/day to maintain it. That's as much calories as your typical 250-300lb bodybuilder/powerlifter.

It's not about discipline as much as it is that our appetite can never meet our metabolism. Period. This is why I think GHRP-6 is single-handedly the most valuable hormonal supplement an "ectomorph" could have. You have to realize that the body (if working properly) will do its best to maintain a steady weight. For ectos, this balance is usually met with high metabolism + low/normal appetite. That keeps us from eating more than we burn and usually leaves us on the leaner side - which explains the physique differences.

On the flip, the endos seem to have a normal/high appetite + low metabolism which makes weight gain very easy and weight loss very hard. Furthermore, I'm willing to bet that there is a consistency between endomorphs and increased fat utilization. By utilization, I mean fat storage and fat usage for energy. I, on the other hand, thrive on carbs almost exclusively. My body is good at quick bursts of energy in the anaerobic fashion, which supports my body's capability to eat tons of carbs and not get fat.

Make no mistake, it's your metabolism that makes it easy for you to gain weight, not your discipline.