Diet sodas don't help with dieting - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Diet sodas don't help with dieting

Two new studies have linked drinking diet soda to poorer health compared with those who don't drink the beverage.

People who said they drank two or more diet sodas a day experienced waist size increases that were six times greater than those of people who didn't drink diet soda, according to researchers from the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.

A second study that found the sweetener aspartame raised bloodsugarlevels in diabetes-prone mice.

"Data from this and other prospective studies suggest that the promotion of diet sodas and artificial sweeteners as healthy alternatives may be ill-advised," said study researcher Helen P. Hazuda, professor and at the university's school of medicine. "They may be free of calories, but not of consequences."

The human study was based on data from 474 participants in a larger, ongoing study called the San Antonio Longitudinal Study of Aging. In that study, the participants were followed for nearly 10 years.

Diet soft drink drinkers, as a group, experienced 70 percent greater increases in waist circumference compared with those who don't drink diet soda.

Abdominal fat is a major risk factor for diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer and other chronic conditions, the researchers said.

In the mouse study, researchers fed aspartame, a calorie-free sweetener used in some diet sodas, to diabetes-prone mice. One group of mice ate chow to which both aspartame and corn oil were added; another other group ate chow with only corn oil added.

After three months, the mice that ate aspartame showed elevated blood sugar levels.

"These results suggest that heavy aspartame exposure might potentially directly contribute to increased blood glucose levels, and thus
      contribute to the associations observed between diet soda consumption and the risk of diabetes in humans," said study researcher
      Gabriel Fernandes, professor of rheumatology and clinical immunology at the university.

The studies were presented Saturday (June 25)

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43565093...nd_nutrition/#
      Comments 17 Comments
        prld2gr8ns -
        It's a debate but I believe has some warrant. Craving symptoms and hormone fluctuations that control hunger have been linked to artificial sweeteners for some time now.
        Dwight Schrute -
        This would not be good for me!
        EasyEJL -
        It hurts, all 3 of those in the picture are in my fridge. What am I supposed to mix my Sailor Jerry with if I can't use diet Dr Pepper?
        RickRock13 -
        Wow....good read but not news I want to hear. Diet sodas help me a lot on low Cal days for appetite suppression.
        C9H13NO3 -
        sailor and pepper is good but try it w A&W RootBeer!:11:
        seccsi -
        I've definitely cut my diet soda intake, but it's used a lot by me. Surely diet soda still remains a far superior choice to regular.
        EasyEJL -
        Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
        sailor and pepper is good but try it w A&W RootBeer!:11:
        I had been pondering picking up a 6 pack of this to try with it :) http://www.zevia.com/products_rootbeer.html Attachment 40898
        PUNISHER_1 -
        A lot of people will drink diet and think that's good enough. "Yeah, uh....Give me a Supersized Number one.....Extra fries....Oh...but make it a Diet Coke.".........That's probably why most of them gained weight.
        Ari Gold -
        Originally Posted by RickRock13 View Post
        Wow....good read but not news I want to hear. Diet sodas help me a lot on low Cal days for appetite suppression.
        There are much better appetite suppressants on the market than diet sodas...not to mention, if you're on a low calorie day, even diet soda has calories that can be completely avoided by using alternatives.
        chuntley -
        Gonna miss my Diet Dew after reading this.
        festus -
        Originally Posted by PUNISHER_1 View Post
        A lot of people will drink diet and think that's good enough. "Yeah, uh....Give me a Supersized Number one.....Extra fries....Oh...but make it a Diet Coke.".........That's probably why most of them gained weight.
        LOL. I have to believe it has to be some variation of that. All I know is I like softdrinks and I gain a s*%$load of weight if I drink regular! I'm not ready to give it up yet. BTW, Diet A&W is bomb!
        ax1 -
        Good post. Cutting out diet sodas has been a part of my dramatic tranformation process. Some people had a hard time believing me, but no artificial sweeteners has given me the best progress.
        mattrag -
        I've noticed appetite regulation and over all energy levels are better when i cut this stuff out.
        mattrag -
        Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
        I had been pondering picking up a 6 pack of this to try with it :) http://www.zevia.com/products_rootbeer.html Attachment 40898
        I have read that "caramel coloring" was some pretty crazy stuff... made from really harsh chemicals.
        Dwight Schrute -
        Originally Posted by chuntley View Post
        Gonna miss my Diet Dew after reading this.

I'm getting one now...can't stop.
        mkretz -
        this study was with aspartame but i wonder about sucralose (spenda) or stevia
        CeCe -
        Does this mean diet snapples are a culprit too?