• D-Apartic Acid Doesn't Work For Young People

From Ergo-Log

You're in your early twenties, and you're looking for a supplement that will boost your testosterone level and thus speed up your muscle bulking. Whatever you do, don't try D-aspartic acid. According to a small human study published by sports scientists Darryn Willoughby and Brian Leutholtz in Nutrition Research, the effect of D-aspartic acid on testosterone levels is minimal and the same goes for its effect on muscle strength.

After an Italian study showed that supplementation with 3 g sodium-D-aspartate boosted testosterone levels in elderly men, D-aspartic acid analogues became a modest rage in the sports supplements world. Experiences with pure D-aspartic acid were not particularly hopeful; those with calcium and sodium salts of the amino acid were better. The body absorbs these forms of D-aspartic acid better.

Willoughby and Leutholtz were sceptical about the D-aspartic acid rage. The men in the Italian study had low testosterone levels while bodybuilders generally have a high level as a result of heavy physical training and carefully worked out diets. So is D-aspartic acid effective in this group?

This is the question the researchers tried to answer by doing a 28-day long experiment with 20 recreational bodybuilders whose average age was 22.

The researchers gave half of their subjects 3 g D-aspartic acid daily. The other half of the subjects were given a placebo.

The supplement didn't work. The tables below show that the increases in testosterone level and strength were negligible. The effects were not significant at all.

The researchers observed that the supplementation only resulted in a limited rise in the subjects' D-aspartic acid level. What had risen significantly was the level of the enzyme D-aspartate oxidase an enzyme that breaks down D-aspartic acid in the intestines, kidneys and liver.

So D-aspartic acid doesn't work, the researchers sum up. "We conclude that 28 days of D-aspartic acid supplementation at a daily dose of 3 g is ineffective in upregulating the activity of the hypothalamo-pituitary-gonadal axis and has no preferential effects in which to increase skeletal muscle mass and strength in resistance-trained men", they write.

This is the case for the free form of D-aspartic acid. The study has little to say when it comes to the sodium and calcium bound analogues of D-aspartic acid, sodium-D-aspartate and calcium-D-aspartate.

Source:
      Nutrition Research. Available online 15 August 2013.

Source: http://www.ergo-log.com/d-aspartic-a...ybuilders.html
      Comments 10 Comments
        fueledpassion -
        D-aspartic acid is used as a PCT product for the most part - when your test levels are rock bottom. Also, the results indicated a hefty increase in LH, just not total T levels. That increase in LH is exactly what a man would want when he comes off a cycle of steroids.
        MANotaur -
        the hefty increase in LH is what DAA is used for. the boost in T is secondary to the increase in LH.

So yeah-it works in both older and younger people.
        exrugger -
        Hated DAA, did nothing noticeable strength wise and caused insane anger. Definitely not worth it for me.
        rphash49 -
        I think it's effective as part of pct as it increases LH. It's a pct staple for me
        whitexican911 -
        DAA would also be a nice add on when deiting, ad lower calories/ increased work load may lower t levels DAA would keep it topped IMHO
        mmorton -
        It is effective during PCT for someone in their mid 20's right? As opposed to using just a SERM?
        Hyde -
        Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
        D-aspartic acid is used as a PCT product for the most part - when your test levels are rock bottom. Also, the results indicated a hefty increase in LH, just not total T levels. That increase in LH is exactly what a man would want when he comes off a cycle of steroids.
        THIS! My thoughts exactly while reading this. If you look at the studies the Luetenizing Hormone DOUBLES in 4 wks of administration.
        JD261985 -
        The study uses free form d aspartic acid not sodium DAA or the chelated version that's in test force 2
        timvalen -
        Never could understand young guys looking for test boosters. I never even thought of it until I was past 50. I use DAA and like the results, cycling it with beta-alanine and creatine.
        fueledpassion -
        Originally Posted by timvalen View Post
        Never could understand young guys looking for test boosters. I never even thought of it until I was past 50. I use DAA and like the results, cycling it with beta-alanine and creatine.
        Well, I guess young guys are hoping for a t-booster that brings them to superphysiological levels of androgens. They hope to have something that is almost as good as injecting 500mg Test without having to actually do it.

But it'll never be that way.