Creatine Better After Training - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Creatine Better After Training

From Ergo Log

Bodybuilders and other strength athletes who use creatine during a workout – because their muscle cells can absorb the energy supplement better at that moment - will benefit more by taking it after the training session rather than before. Researchers at Nova Southeastern University write about this in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition.

The researchers did an experiment with 19 male recreational bodybuilders. The bodybuilders trained for four weeks, sticking to the same schedule five days a week. They also all followed the same sort of diet – in which about a quarter of the energy was derived from protein.

Half of the bodybuilders took 5 g creatine just before working out [Pre-Supp] on their training days, and the other half took the same amount of creatine just after the workout [Post-Supp].

On the days that the men didn't train they took the dose whenever they wanted.

At the end of the four weeks, the men in the Post-Supp group had made more progress than the Pre-Supp group.

The Post-Supp group gained twice as much lean body mass as the Pre-Supp group; the weight with which the men in the Post-Supp group could just manage one bench press increased by over one kg more than it did in the Pre-Supp group, and on top of that the Post-Supp group lost a kilogram more body fat than the Pre-Supp group did.

"Post workout supplementation with creatine for a period of 4 weeks in recreational bodybuilders may produce superior gains in fat free mass and strength in comparison to pre workout supplementation", the researchers conclude.

"The major limitations of this study include the small sample size as well as the brief treatment duration", the researchers continue. "Future studies should investigate creatine supplementation using resistance trained individuals for a longer duration."

Source:
      J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2013 Aug 6;10(1):36. [Epub ahead of print].

Source: http://www.ergo-log.com/creatine-wor...an-before.html
      Comments 21 Comments
        lexmuscle -
        Hasn't this been well known for the past 15 years?
        pyrobatt -
        Originally Posted by lexmuscle View Post
        Hasn't this been well known for the past 15 years?
        Nope. Creatine is more of a saturation effect.
        lexmuscle -
        Originally Posted by pyrobatt View Post

Nope. Creatine is more of a saturation effect.
        I meant hasn't it been well known that you get better results with creatine by supplementing post-workout? That's how I've always used it, and my friends have as well.
        pyrobatt -

I meant hasn't it been well known that you get better results with creatine by supplementing post-workout? That's how I've always used it, and my friends have as well.
        Creatine is not something that instantly effects you. It is a saturation effect. Has to be taken daily to build up. Timing doesn't matter.
        Quatie -

Creatine is not something that instantly effects you. It is a saturation effect. Has to be taken daily to build up. Timing doesn't matter.
        I only take it on training days. Am I wasting my time by not taking it on off days?
        pyrobatt -
        Originally Posted by Quatie View Post

I only take it on training days. Am I wasting my time by not taking it on off days?
        Yes.
        cumminslifter -
        pyrobatt has got it. you may become saturated faster taking it post workout but once you reach saturation there is no benefit in timing
        pyrobatt -
        Originally Posted by cumminslifter View Post
        pyrobatt has got it. you may become saturated faster taking it post workout but once you reach saturation there is no benefit in timing
        Yeppers. Also alot of people think they must take it everyday at the same time. Lol. You can take it first thing of the morning on off days and after training on on days. Doesn't matter.
        lexmuscle -

Yeppers. Also alot of people think they must take it everyday at the same time. Lol. You can take it first thing of the morning on off days and after training on on days. Doesn't matter.
        I guess I lot of people think of taking it the same way as a protein shake.
        pyrobatt -

Protein shake timing doesn't matter either
        mountainman33 -
        But if your body is using the creatine in your muscles for ATP production, thereby depleteing your creatine stores you would need to replenish those stores. And doing so when your muscles are at their most receptive to nutrients (ie. post workout) would be the best time to do so. Am I wrong?
        pyrobatt -
        Originally Posted by mountainman33 View Post
        But if your body is using the creatine in your muscles for ATP production, thereby depleteing your creatine stores you would need to replenish those stores. And doing so when your muscles are at their most receptive to nutrients (ie. post workout) would be the best time to do so. Am I wrong?
        Yes. Your body is saturated. Then produces the creatine positive effects. Timing is irrelevant.
        mountainman33 -
        Yes. Your body is saturated. Then produces the creatine positive effects. Timing is irrelevant.
        But your body it using the stored creatine which you are no longer in a saturation state by defenition. So you would need to "re-saturate" if you will, or replenish.
        pyrobatt -
        Originally Posted by mountainman33 View Post

But your body it using the stored creatine which you are no longer in a saturation state by defenition. So you would need to "re-saturate" if you will, or replenish.
        Just like glycogen we only use 1/4 of it. Its not that serious man.
        mountainman33 -
        I know, I'm just always looking for as much clarification as I can.
        Quatie -

How much would you take on off days?
        pyrobatt -

How much would you take on off days?
        3 to 5g
        Quatie -

3 to 5g
        And 5g post? Do you ever take a break from creatine ?

Do you know if its OK to mix beta alanine and taurine together?
        GYMAHOLIC_413 -
        First I hear of this
        pyrobatt -

And 5g post? Do you ever take a break from creatine ?

Do you know if its OK to mix beta alanine and taurine together?
        No break is needed from creatine. Beta alanine can be taken with taurine. Also note beta alanine needs to be taken multiple times during the day. I prefer 2x a day at 2g my first dose and after noon dose is 1g