Common Weight Training Mistakes - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Common Weight Training Mistakes

by Lee Boyce, C.P.T. Men's Fitness

Correct these common exercise errors and you'll get bigger, stronger, and leaner—in much less time.

Training “smart” means more than just knowing how to use the machines in your gym correctly. You have to think critically about your workouts, and make sure everything you do has a specific purpose and will get you closer to your goals.
      Check out five common mistakes guys make when training and how to fix them.

Not Using The Right Reps

You have to vary reps based on the exercise and what muscles you’re training. Upper-body pressing moves train fast-twitch muscle fibers, so they should mainly be done with lower reps (sets of six to eight). Your leg muscles are designed for endurance, so sets of 12 or more reps are appropriate.

Setting Up To Bench-Press Improperly

Benching with your back flat and elbows flared 90 degrees can hurt your shoulders and limit the weight you can lift. Pull your shoulder blades together and down and arch your back. Tuck your elbows near your sides as you lower the bar, and drive your feet into the floor as you press.

Doing The Wrong Supersets

Pullups and deadlifts are great back builders, but pairing them up will weaken your grip, hurting your performance on subsequent sets. Avoid pairing ab work with heavy compound lifts like squats or pressing—it will fatigue your core and make you more prone to injury.

Stretching The Wrong Muscles At The Wrong Time

Stretching the muscles you’re training between sets can temporarily weaken them. A better idea is to stretch the muscles that oppose the ones you’re training, such as stretching your pecs in a door frame between sets of seated rows. that makes for stronger back training.

Not Lifting For Your Body Type

Taller lifters have a disadvantage when moving big weights because their levers (limbs) are so long. if you’re 6' or taller, try shortening your range of motion on the squat, bench press, and pullup to keep the tension on the target muscles and prevent you from going into the range where you’re at your weakest.

Source: http://www.mensfitness.com/training/...rkout-mistakes
      Comments 12 Comments
        Chuck2 -
        I'm 6'4" and disagree with reducing range of motion, but there are some things to compensate for leverage. For example bending elbows when doing pec flys can reduce that leverage and reduce the risk of shoulder injury.
        6andaHalf -
        6'6" and I use a full range of motion. I think what he is trying to say is keeping tension on the muscle. He could have said it better...

I kind of wanted to stop reading after "the right reps". I had no clue there was a correct amount of reps. Oh wait...
        grandroid828 -
        6 ft 3 - and yeah i agree i think he used poor wording. He probably shouldve said just skip the lockout on bench and such, to avoid elbow stress.
        Schyluer -
        I'm 6ft4 as well. Don't squat below parallel?! Madness!! Every power lifter would disagree with you there.
        Vote4pedro -
        I think what he meant for right reps is the habitual stuff like >5 is more geared strength ... 8-12 is more of a muscle builder <12 is more geared endurance ... That doesn't mean that some don't aid the others ... U need strength to build muscle and u need endurance to gain strength
        diggyboo -
        Originally Posted by Schyluer View Post
        I'm 6ft4 as well. Don't squat below parallel?! Madness!! Every power lifter would disagree with you there.
        I would think he was talking about going down all the way without locking out at the top, most weight lifters don't have problems locking out squats
        diggyboo -
        But if he is saying that, doesn't that defeat the purpose of lifting weights. Strengthening our weaknesses!
        limitless3679 -
        Rep range does not effect hypertrophy.
        keithgeiling -
        Rep range does not affect hypertrophy? Now that's something I haven't heard of?
        limitless3679 -
        Originally Posted by keithgeiling View Post
        Rep range does not affect hypertrophy? Now that's something I haven't heard of?
        High or low reps, Progressive overload does.
        grandroid828 -
        Originally Posted by limitless3679 View Post

High or low reps, Progressive overload does.
        I have to disagree. While i do think ppl drastically overestimate the importance of rep ranges, they definitely do affect hypertrophy. Because the work in two different ways. Sets of 10-12 ish cause sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. Sets of below 6-8 cause sarcomere hypertrophy. While both cause hypertrophy, they do so in totally different ways with totally different end results
        BigHoop65 -
        I'm 6'4 and I fully agree with rest of the big & tall on this thread. I go to parallel on squat but that's where it stops. Other lifts just require a modification in the relevant joint to prevent injury and keep the muscles at work.