Chinese Chickens Being Imported Now - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Chinese Chickens Being Imported Now

By STEPHANIE STROM New York Times

The Department of Agriculture on Friday approved four Chinese poultry processors to begin shipping a limited amount of meat to the United States, a move that is likely to add to the debate over food imports.

Initially, the companies will be allowed to export only cooked poultry products from birds raised in the United States and Canada. But critics predicted that the government would eventually expand the rules, so that chickens and turkeys bred in China could end up in the American market.

“This is the first step towards allowing China to export its own domestic chickens to the U.S.,” said Tony Corbo, the senior lobbyist for Food and Water Watch, an advocacy group that works to promote food safety.

The U.S.D.A.’s decision follows years of wrangling over the issue, and comes as Americans are increasingly focused on the origin of their food.

In recent years, imports have been the source of contamination, prompting broader worries about food safety. The Food and Drug Administration just released an analysis of imported spices, showing high levels of salmonella in coriander, oregano, sesame seeds and curry powder.

China does not have the best track record for food safety, and its chicken products in particular have raised questions. The country has had frequent outbreaks of deadly avian influenza, which it sometimes has been slow to report.

Recently, an F.D.A. investigation tied the deaths of more than 500 dogs and a handful of cats to chicken jerky treats that came from China. The treats, which were eventually recalled, additionally were blamed for sickening more than 2,500 animals.

The proposed sale of Smithfield Foods to Shuanghui International, a major Chinese food processor, has added to the industry scrutiny. In July, senators from both parties questioned Larry Pope, the chief executive of Smithfield, about the implications of his company’s deal for food safety and United States employment.

Mr. Pope responded that the deal was intended to address the rising demand for meat in China and that American workers would be employed in that effort. “This means increased capacity for U.S. producers, more jobs in processing and more exports for the U.S. economy,” Mr. Pope said. “At the same time, we will continue to supply our same high-quality, renowned products to U.S. consumers.”

The poultry trade between the United States and China has been contentious for years. Under the Bush administration, the U.S.D.A. moved to allow imports of chicken from China, which has banned imports of American beef since 2003 over worries about mad cow disease.

In response, Congress blocked Chinese chicken exports. China retaliated by slapping huge tariffs on American chicken. The fight ended up at the World Trade Organization, which ruled that the tariffs were too high.

After that, the U.S.D.A. then audited Chinese processing plants, giving its approval for them to process raw birds from the United States and Canada.

Under the new rules, the Chinese facilities will verify that cooked products exported to the United States came from American or Canadian birds. So no U.S.D.A. inspector will be present in the plants.

And because the poultry will be processed, it will not require country-of-origin labeling. Nor will consumers eating chicken noodle soup from a can or chicken nuggets in a fast-food restaurant know if the chicken came from Chinese processing plants.

“We certainly don’t look forward to any more imports, but we also realize free trade is a two-way street,” said Tom Super, spokesman for the National Chicken Council, which represents big chicken processors in the United States. “We’re hoping the Chinese will look a little more favorably on our chicken products and on other U.S. agricultural imports.”

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/31/bu...s&emc=rss&_r=0
      Comments 16 Comments
        EatMoar -
        Is this for real? I swear if I have to go organic vegan I'll ****ing flip out.
        AdonisBelt -
        This is awesome. Do I plan on buying the chicken? Hellllll no. I do however, plan on buying US chicken that has to price more competitively after china chicken enters the market. We should all be looking forward to a more globalized and competitive chicken commodity! It's good for the US economy
        rugger48 -
        Ridiculous what's the point

America will export chicken and were going to import , Why? How much cheaper can it be when it's gotta travel from half way around the world. Just use what we have here.
        bigflex0 -
        Originally Posted by rugger48 View Post
        Ridiculous what's the point

America will export chicken and were going to import , Why? How much cheaper can it be when it's gotta travel from half way around the world. Just use what we have here.

Exactly. Same thing happened when I was shopping for oranges the other day. Freaking south africa. Hey why get them from FL when you can ship them all the way from South Africa. Unbelievable.
        Bigcountry08 -
        People don't realize how horrible stuff like this is, will it make U.S. farmers have to lower prices possibly. Will it cause many U.S. farmers to go out of business, and lower the quality further of the already poor quality products that are given to us definitely.

Just wait 5 years, when we start hearing about toxic additives they add to the poultry to make it so cheap. Americans will never learn, you get what you pay for.
        AdonisBelt -
        Originally Posted by Bigcountry08 View Post
        People don't realize how horrible stuff like this is, will it make U.S. farmers have to lower prices possibly. Will it cause many U.S. farmers to go out of business, and lower the quality further of the already poor quality products that are given to us definitely.

Just wait 5 years, when we start hearing about toxic additives they add to the poultry to make it so cheap. Americans will never learn, you get what you pay for.
        Your assumptions regarding quality is a common misinterpretation of open market economics; it's most easily understood how this is a fallacy when considering profit maximization is already occurring pretty much optimally already as this incentive is already in place and won't be effected by more consumer choice; in fact consumer choice creates an in entice to increase quality OR lower price to access a particular niche. Most likely Chinese chicken won't be for the middle class, so some differentiation is likely to be seen. Besides, it's not like poultry producers arnt making a huge profit already, and further you can look at this thread an see that us producers won't take much of a hit.

Let the people decide, not the companies or government, what can and can't be bought.
        AdonisBelt -
        Originally Posted by AdonisBelt View Post

Your assumptions regarding quality is a common misinterpretation of open market economics; it's most easily understood how this is a fallacy when considering profit maximization is already occurring pretty much optimally already as this incentive is already in place and won't be effected by more consumer choice; in fact consumer choice creates an in entice to increase quality OR lower price to access a particular niche. Most likely Chinese chicken won't be for the middle class, so some differentiation is likely to be seen. Besides, it's not like poultry producers arnt making a huge profit already, and further you can look at this thread an see that us producers won't take much of a hit.

Let the people decide, not the companies or government, what can and can't be bought.
        I would expect, however, for this crap to make its way into fast food chains where neither price or quality will be forced to change as the end product seemingly remains the same, and this is a MAJOR problem. More profits will pool at the top and free flowing monies will be locked up, stagnating potential growth in the future and decreasing consumers wealth and general welfare.

I at least hope that their will be appropriate labeling and disclaimers put in place to regulate this- most likely not.
        Bigcountry08 -

Why would you assume poultry producers are making huge profits? It's quite the contrary in the food industry it's a complete inverted triangle when it comes to profit. Animal growers have to deal with several factors when growing there product. Food cost, death, demand, and many other factors play a role in profit. Take last year for example, there were huge droughts through out the U.S. causing corn shortages adding this to the fact that we are now using corn for ethanol and other fuels corn prices are through the roof. At the beginning of this summer meat prices started to rise due to the fact that they thought there would be high demand and shortages. But sales of meat were actually quite low which lead to a surplus this summer which meant the demand dropped even lower chicken at one point got as low as 1.50-1.75 a lb (retail). So the producers actually ended up taking a huge hit this summer with profits.

Now that 1.50-1.75 a pound is what I had to pay to my distributer, who is the third guy down the line from the grower (grower > preparer > distributer > seller > patron). So think about the amount the farmer has to sell each bird for, heck I was selling entrees at 17 a plate for a 7 oz portion I was making 90-95 percent profit.

If your assuming US producers won't take a hit because a few of us health food nuts will refuse to buy Chinese chicken, I would say your mistaken. We probably only make up about 5-10% of the population. The other 90-95% of the Golden Corral loven MC fat ****'S could care less about what there shoveling into there body. Thus the reason why companies like Tyson do so well, who are already pumping there meat with 20% solution. That 20% solution that they advertise isn't there for your benefit it's there so they can charge 15-20% less then the quality guys. I would also guess that half the people on this board have Tyson in there fridge because they thought it was a quality product. So see we go full circle we go from lower quality product (Tyson) tricking us into thinking its a higher quality product due to advertising.

Further your assumption that Quality is a factor In the food industry is a common misconception. The majority of restaurants in the united states now use manly pre maid pre packaged foods. Not because they are of higher quality or that the taste is superior, but because it is cheaper, faster , and easier. Case in point McDonald's brings in 24 billion a year ( that's not including franchises) we all know McDonald's is horrible for us, the guy who did supersize me was told his liver was going to fail if he kept eating it. Yet it's still one of the most successful companies in the world. Americans don't care about quality we want the cheapest product we can find, if that wasn't true McDonalds would be out of business, and we would all be eating one 4oz portion of free ranged organic chicken at 12.50 a pound not because we can afford a lot of it, but because it tastes better and is of higher quality.
        wicked442 -
        Well welcome a new bird flu.
        bigflex0 -
        I think most consumers in America subscribe to Stalins famous quote, "Quantity has a quality all it's own." My inlaws certainly subscribe to this they complained that the local caught fish in SC fish market was too expensive and there exact words were, "If we want sea food we will go to Walmart." I have to bite my lip every time I am with them. I love their daughter and thank goodness she and me agree on food.
        Bigcountry08 -
        Originally Posted by bigflex0 View Post
        I think most consumers in America subscribe to Stalins famous quote, "Quantity has a quality all it's own." My inlaws certainly subscribe to this they complained that the local caught fish in SC fish market was too expensive and there exact words were, "If we want sea food we will go to Walmart." I have to bite my lip every time I am with them. I love their daughter and thank goodness she and me agree on food.
        I agree, it's sad when I got into fine dining me and my dad argued all the time. He would much rather go to a buffet and spend 8 bucks on crappy food and gorge himself till he would bust then spend 30-40 on a very well made steak/ meal.
        AdonisBelt -

Why would you assume poultry producers are making huge profits? It's quite the contrary in the food industry it's a complete inverted triangle when it comes to profit. Animal growers have to deal with several factors when growing there product. Food cost, death, demand, and many other factors play a role in profit. Take last year for example, there were huge droughts through out the U.S. causing corn shortages adding this to the fact that we are now using corn for ethanol and other fuels corn prices are through the roof. At the beginning of this summer meat prices started to rise due to the fact that they thought there would be high demand and shortages. But sales of meat were actually quite low which lead to a surplus this summer which meant the demand dropped even lower chicken at one point got as low as 1.50-1.75 a lb (retail). So the producers actually ended up taking a huge hit this summer with profits.

Now that 1.50-1.75 a pound is what I had to pay to my distributer, who is the third guy down the line from the grower (grower > preparer > distributer > seller > patron). So think about the amount the farmer has to sell each bird for, heck I was selling entrees at 17 a plate for a 7 oz portion I was making 90-95 percent profit.

If your assuming US producers won't take a hit because a few of us health food nuts will refuse to buy Chinese chicken, I would say your mistaken. We probably only make up about 5-10% of the population. The other 90-95% of the Golden Corral loven MC fat ****'S could care less about what there shoveling into there body. Thus the reason why companies like Tyson do so well, who are already pumping there meat with 20% solution. That 20% solution that they advertise isn't there for your benefit it's there so they can charge 15-20% less then the quality guys. I would also guess that half the people on this board have Tyson in there fridge because they thought it was a quality product. So see we go full circle we go from lower quality product (Tyson) tricking us into thinking its a higher quality product due to advertising.

Further your assumption that Quality is a factor In the food industry is a common misconception. The majority of restaurants in the united states now use manly pre maid pre packaged foods. Not because they are of higher quality or that the taste is superior, but because it is cheaper, faster , and easier. Case in point McDonald's brings in 24 billion a year ( that's not including franchises) we all know McDonald's is horrible for us, the guy who did supersize me was told his liver was going to fail if he kept eating it. Yet it's still one of the most successful companies in the world. Americans don't care about quality we want the cheapest product we can find, if that wasn't true McDonalds would be out of business, and we would all be eating one 4oz portion of free ranged organic chicken at 12.50 a pound not because we can afford a lot of it, but because it tastes better and is of higher quality.
        Actually I just confirmed my assertions with my economics professor who has multiple PhDs.

I even brought up your arguments and he rejected all your claims.

Lol.

All I'm saying is that it's good for the global and US economy as a whole. It won't decrease quality of us chicken, and profits won't be hit too bad. If they go out of business, then they are simply an outdated market inefficiency. Big deal. And there are only like 3 poultry producers in the us and they do close business with companies such as Tyson. Look at the stock market they are all doing fine. All meat products in the us are already crap, and are profit maximizing subject to gov. Regulation as it is.
        Bigcountry08 -

Actually I just confirmed my assertions with my economics professor who has multiple PhDs.

I even brought up your arguments and he rejected all your claims.

Lol.

All I'm saying is that it's good for the global and US economy as a whole. It won't decrease quality of us chicken, and profits won't be hit too bad. If they go out of business, then they are simply an outdated market inefficiency. Big deal. And there are only like 3 poultry producers in the us and they do close business with companies such as Tyson. Look at the stock market they are all doing fine. All meat products in the us are already crap, and are profit maximizing subject to gov. Regulation as it is.
        Really we have to use the fake professor line to prove our case.

Look at the dog food industry, toy industry, car industry, etc. none of these have benefited from globalizing. If anything these industries prove my point, by allowing overseas companies to sell there products in the U.S. we subject or selfs to lower quality products that are rife with defects and tainted with unapproved toxic substances. But Americans in the long run don't care because they like the fact that they can buy 10 poorly made toys rather then 1 well made one.

Nothing of what I say matters to you though because your a college student and you read it in a book so it must be right. Never mind the fact that I've been in the restaurant/ food industry the last 10 years.
        AdonisBelt -

Really we have to use the fake professor line to prove our case.

Look at the dog food industry, toy industry, car industry, etc. none of these have benefited from globalizing. If anything these industries prove my point, by allowing overseas companies to sell there products in the U.S. we subject or selfs to lower quality products that are rife with defects and tainted with unapproved toxic substances. But Americans in the long run don't care because they like the fact that they can buy 10 poorly made toys rather then 1 well made one.

Nothing of what I say matters to you though because your a college student and you read it in a book so it must be right. Never mind the fact that I've been in the restaurant/ food industry the last 10 years.
        Lol restaurant/food industry.... That means your a what? Cook? I get a degree in economics as well as computer science in 6 months. And i get you don't want to believe that someone with actual relevant knowledge said your wrong, but he is a real professor and we did have a real conversation about it. he teaches my Econ 4818 at CU boulder feel free to look it up. Sorry dude, it's basic economics. And that's what's nice about college textbooks, they are continuously rewritten and updated based on compiled decades, if not centuries, of real world statistical data and mathematical proofs- but if you would like to credit your "food industry" insight from out in the "big country" you should try charging tuition for your amazingly credible information I'm sure others find it just as valuable and comparable to a college education.

It's just funny because what your saying is completely besides the point of what I have been saying... Haha all your saying is that Americans purchase bad products from overseas. That statement has nothing to do with whether the us economy, and world, benefit from an increased amount of suppliers- which is all I'm saying when it comes down to it.

But none of this means anything to you because your an ignorant uneducated white guy from the country and are most likely a dumb conservative Christian. Go back to watching rodeos and keep your opinions on the global economy to yourself.

Ps: you should consider cutting.
        Bigcountry08 -

Lol restaurant/food industry.... That means your a what? Cook? I get a degree in economics as well as computer science in 6 months. And i get you don't want to believe that someone with actual relevant knowledge said your wrong, but he is a real professor and we did have a real conversation about it. he teaches my Econ 4818 at CU boulder feel free to look it up. Sorry dude, it's basic economics. And that's what's nice about college textbooks, they are continuously rewritten and updated based on compiled decades, if not centuries, of real world statistical data and mathematical proofs- but if you would like to credit your "food industry" insight from out in the "big country" you should try charging tuition for your amazingly credible information I'm sure others find it just as valuable and comparable to a college education.

It's just funny because what your saying is completely besides the point of what I have been saying... Haha all your saying is that Americans purchase bad products from overseas. That statement has nothing to do with whether the us economy, and world, benefit from an increased amount of suppliers- which is all I'm saying when it comes down to it.

But none of this means anything to you because your an ignorant uneducated white guy from the country and are most likely a dumb conservative Christian. Go back to watching rodeos and keep your opinions on the global economy to yourself.

Ps: you should consider cutting.
        Lol ignorant uneducated white guy, I graduated college with a 4.0 alpha beta kappa, I am currently the head chef of a fine dinning establishment. Have two groups that want to pick me up to open two restaurants in the near future.

Can you explain to me how the U.S. economy will benefit from having more jobs go overseas? Michigan's economy has really benefited from having all those factory jobs go to china, and Mexico. I know a lot of machinist who are really happy they lost there jobs to mistreated underpaid Chinese people. U.S. well fair is at an all time high but somehow that means our economy is great. We have 40 year old men who should be working in factories making a decent wage, striking right now to make 15 dollars an hour working for McDonald's because those factory jobs don't exists any more. But somehow everything is getting better.
        AdonisBelt -

Lol ignorant uneducated white guy, I graduated college with a 4.0 alpha beta kappa, I am currently the head chef of a fine dinning establishment. Have two groups that want to pick me up to open two restaurants in the near future.

Can you explain to me how the U.S. economy will benefit from having more jobs go overseas? Michigan's economy has really benefited from having all those factory jobs go to china, and Mexico. I know a lot of machinist who are really happy they lost there jobs to mistreated underpaid Chinese people. U.S. well fair is at an all time high but somehow that means our economy is great. We have 40 year old men who should be working in factories making a decent wage, striking right now to make 15 dollars an hour working for McDonald's because those factory jobs don't exists any more. But somehow everything is getting better.
        It sounds like you have some pent up hostility for the world your venting towards me. I'm kind of over this little Internet debate. To answer you it's just a change in the economic needs. There's no need to support jobs that arnt really demanded anymore when others can do it better for less. But you can be "right" I really don't care. Don't cut yourself when your chopping any vegetables today :)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.