Can You Gain Mass From Bootcamp Workouts? - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Can You Gain Mass From Bootcamp Workouts?

By Jeremey DuVall, M.S., CPT Men's Fitness

The high-intensity workout trend is sweeping the nation leaving lifters cranking out rep after rep of kettlebell swings, barbell lifts, and bodyweight exercises. All of these exercises are crammed together in one short, butt-busting workout that leaves even the fittest individuals gassed on the floor. Bootcamps and group workouts combine the camaraderie and friendship with the huffing, puffing, and sweating, revolutionizing the concept of a hard workout. These intense sessions promise huge benefits in just a few hours a week, but will they pay off in the long run and deliver your goal to build muscle or are you just spinning your wheels in the wrong direction?

Bootcamps are extremely effective in terms of delivering a great workout because they combine several intense exercises and string them together into one difficult circuit. The end result is a very high heart rate and a huge calorie burn. This is especially beneficial for those looking to lose weight. In fact, Rob Sulaver, head coach at Bandana Training and personal trainer at Peak Performance in NYC, acknowledges that most bootcamps are built for those looking to lose weight. "For guys looking to pack on a few pounds, the high-intensity classes may not be the best choice," Sulaver says. Since the exercises are strung together with little rest in between, participants typically have to use a lighter weight than usual to maintain form. This shifts the focus from strength to cardio. "In order to build muscle, lifters should be focused on putting a huge amount of strain on the muscle and working with heavy loads," he says. Due to the intense nature of bootcamps, itís usually not possible (or safe) to work with the loads necessary to produce muscle growth.

In fact, long bootcamp workouts may even be detrimental to lifters looking for size. The length and intensity of the workouts may be enough to send the lifter into a catabolic state (breaking down muscle) during the workout. Although cardiovascular fitness may improve, muscle size and strength may decrease. To build size, incorporate high-intensity bootcamps sparingly. Dedicate the rest of your time to working with heavy strength training and improving your nutrition intake.

Source http://www.mensfitness.com/training/...uilding-muscle
      Comments 3 Comments
        PalmFist -
        Once again I can't believe people get paid to write this type of common sense tripe...
        JRam -
        Originally Posted by PalmFist View Post
        Once again I can't believe people get paid to write this type of common sense tripe...
        Do we know that they really get paid? Maybe they just write this nonsense so that they can say that they are a "noted fitness authority and author." Somebody has to fill-up all of these websites.
        JD261985 -
        Yea I went to bootcamp type training had us eating over 5000 calories a day gained about 10 pounds raw mass in 30 days. I was 16 at the time though. My school was military all we did was PT. In 2 years gained 45 pounds solid mass. Yes..
        Solid mass..wish I had before and after pics