• Bringing Up Lagging Legs

By Brandon Hahn Athletic Xtreme

Youíre goal is to build massive legs. Here you sit exhausted with poor results. Itís not your fault. You didnít know the secrets to ďdem gainzĒ that people are talking about. There is such emphasis on other muscles and adding so much complexity that the legs are often overlooked. A 12-20 set workout designed solely for your chest and around the same amount of sets for your entire legs! The quadriceps and hamstrings are such complex structures, not to mention the calves, and yet they get the leftovers. Gains are here, itís time to get some!

There apparently was a time when the workout gods all sat down and decided we would all follow a 5-day split. Chest, back, legs, shoulders, and finish with arms. This would work fine for a beginner. Depending on the exercises chosen, it might be a great split. However, most fall short of designing a great workout. Itís not your fault, itís simply all of the magazines telling you the 5-day approach is whatís best. When laying out that workout, you should easily see what is wrong.

There is very little focus on separating your legs into two separate days. The hamstrings often get neglected because they are on the back of the leg and often covered by shorts. When training these two large muscle groups together, it is not easy to muster up enough energy to train them both properly. One often gets whatís left in the tank. Well, their facebook status now says ďsingleĒ! They are no longer a couple, in fact I just saw Hamstrings pickiní up chicks last night! A little much, but hey you laughed.

Alright, the workout below does still focus on both quadriceps and hamstrings in each workout. The goal is to work the primary or dominant muscle in the first part of the workout. Simply altering your hamstrings exercises and quad exercises from week to week would suffice. However, if all other major muscle groups get there own day, then it is time for your ďlegsĒ to get the same treatment. Once they catch up or surpass your other muscles, you can back off.

Hamstring Dominant Workout
      Deadlifts 3 sets 4-6 reps
      Good Mornings 3 sets 6-8 reps
      Lying Leg Curls 3 sets 6-8 reps
      Front Squats 5 sets 10 reps
      Leg Extensions 3 sets 10 reps
      Standing Calf Raises 3 sets 10 reps

Quad Dominant Workout
      Squats 3 sets 4-6 reps
      Front Squats 3 sets 6-8 reps
      Leg Press 3 sets 6-8 reps
      Stiff-Legged Deadlifts 5 sets 10 reps
      Lying Leg Curls 3 sets 10 reps
      Seated Calf Raises 3 sets 10 reps

Note: These would ideally be separated by at least 48 hours, or longer. Ideally, youíd do hamstrings dominant on Monday and quad dominant on Thursday or Friday.

There you have it, leg domination at itís finest! Remember to go heavy and follow the rep layout. If you get less than the lower end of the range, lighten the weight. If you get more than the high end of the rep range, increase the weight. It should also be noted that IF you get more than the high end of the rep range, CONTINUE REPPING IT OUT. Thatís your set, own it, and own the fact that next time you will use more weight. Donít waste the set because of a miscalculation (or however you are determining these numbers). Itís time to get started.

Source: http://www.athleticx.net/articles/ho...-lagging-legs/
      Comments 43 Comments
        girthypiece -
        Originally Posted by 804 View Post

If you want to have a good athletic ROM with those big legs, than these 3 are very crucial. And adding these workouts into a leg day can increase ROM instantly.. Which equals More ROM for those heavy exercises and less discomfort. I'm not saying they'll add strength, but they can aid in strength increase. But you're correct they will not add direct size.
        These are machine exercises with nearly zero carryover into compound lifts. They do exactly the opposite of what you have proposed. Joint mobility is not the topic of the article.
        redredss -
        Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
        I'm tryin to understand how stiff-legged deads are "quad dominant"...
        ... They arent quad dominant, both given workouts are leg workouts but in both workouts the first few exercises are selected to mainly target quads or hammies. SLDL are later in the quad focused leg day because they ont target quads directly at all.
        Darc_Chylde -
        Originally Posted by girthypiece View Post
        Great another "split" article. Targeting people with inferior leg development the majority of the time means targeting people who dislike training legs. Telling that same person to now have two seperate "leg days" is a laughable approach
        Lol... That's a pretty accurate statement.
        Tampoco -
        Lol at the guy saying that calf, abductor and adductor are crucial. You're either a physical therapist, a wimp, or a joker.

Calf work is great for aesthetics. For athletic performance and carryover to other lifts?! No value
        MANotaur -
        Originally Posted by Tampoco View Post
        Lol at the guy saying that calf, abductor and adductor are crucial. You're either a physical therapist, a wimp, or a joker.

Calf work is great for aesthetics. For athletic performance and carryover to other lifts?! No value
        ??? How do they not have carryover pr improve other lifts??

Im curious?
        girthypiece -
        Originally Posted by MANotaur View Post

??? How do they not have carryover pr improve other lifts??

Im curious?
        Abduction and adduction are like doing internal and external rotation exercises for your shoulder. They are at most rehab exercises for strained adductors that can sometimes occur during wide stance squatting. Externally rotating your shoulder with light weights will not strengthen your bench because they are not primary movers of your arms therefore no carryover. Same with hip ad/abduction. In general, these stability muscle groups get strengthened alongside heavy compound lifts and do not need separate attention. Generally only after an injury are they ever used. Big calves are big testicles, their value in general, is trivial...
        girthypiece -
        And I will also add this about calves, genetic predisposition rules here. Your time is better spent with a barbell on your back.
        AllPump3dUp -
        Has anyone here implemented this type of training "quad dominate" and "ham dominate" days to their routines each week? How did it work for you and did you make decent gains?
        fueledpassion -
        Abduction and adduction are like doing internal and external rotation exercises for your shoulder. They are at most rehab exercises for strained adductors that can sometimes occur during wide stance squatting. Externally rotating your shoulder with light weights will not strengthen your bench because they are not primary movers of your arms therefore no carryover. Same with hip ad/abduction. In general, these stability muscle groups get strengthened alongside heavy compound lifts and do not need separate attention. Generally only after an injury are they ever used. Big calves are big testicles, their value in general, is trivial...
        But what happens when you apply heavy weights? Have you ever finished off a hardcore squat routine with ab/add exercises w/ moderate to heavy weight?

I have never done them consistent enough to say whether they do much beyond leaving me really, really sore the next few days but that's more than I can say for a lot of other leg workouts...
        girthypiece -

But what happens when you apply heavy weights? Have you ever finished off a hardcore squat routine with ab/add exercises w/ moderate to heavy weight?

I have never done them consistent enough to say whether they do much beyond leaving me really, really sore the next few days but that's more than I can say for a lot of other leg workouts...
        Ask yourself this. If you were to finish up a bench press session and then hammered your rotator cuff with aggressive sets of banded external rotation, would you not be sore as hell? Of course you would be. Then ask yourself why you are sore? Surely you squat on a regular basis, why then are you so sore from ad/abductor work? Because they are not directly involved in squatting! Being that they are not primary movers in compound lower body movements, it is foolish to expect any benefit from them that is not rehabilitation focused from an injury or similar.
        fueledpassion -
        Ask yourself this. If you were to finish up a bench press session and then hammered your rotator cuff with aggressive sets of banded external rotation, would you not be sore as hell? Of course you would be. Then ask yourself why you are sore? Surely you squat on a regular basis, why then are you so sore from ad/abductor work? Because they are not directly involved in squatting! Being that they are not primary movers in compound lower body movements, it is foolish to expect any benefit from them that is not rehabilitation focused from an injury or similar.
        Wasnt arguing, just making sure you are peeking at this from multiple angles. Quite honestly, I only use them for stretching purposes because I am stubby and tighter than most.
        girthypiece -

Wasnt arguing, just making sure you are peeking at this from multiple angles. Quite honestly, I only use them for stretching purposes because I am stubby and tighter than most.
        I wasn't arguing either. I just wanted to use your response to give a different perspective to those who are wanting to learn how to evaluate their own training methods
        Tampoco -
        Originally Posted by AllPump3dUp View Post
        Has anyone here implemented this type of training "quad dominate" and "ham dominate" days to their routines each week? How did it work for you and did you make decent gains?
        I train this way and have for the last 2 years. I am a competitive natty BB (2nd place in HW Open last competition) and powerlifter (220#class).

At 6'2 my hams are my biggest weakness in terms of physique, so I have split my program to have two leg days.

Tuesday is dead, good morning, GHR, hypers, leg curl, and leg presses.

Friday is squat, lunge, leg press, hypers, rdls, and leg extensions.

I finish both days by training my testicles...I mean calves.

Current PR's are 435 atg raw squat and 575 raw conventional dead.

I train using 5/3/1 with various assistance templates/schemes.

Slow and steady progress, but for anyone but a noob that's to be expected
        girthypiece -

I train this way and have for the last 2 years. I am a competitive natty BB (2nd place in HW Open last competition) and powerlifter (220#class).

At 6'2 my hams are my biggest weakness in terms of physique, so I have split my program to have two leg days.

Repped for testicles reference. Have you tried blood flow restriction training for calves?
        AllPump3dUp -

I started implementing this today as followed (quad dominate)

5x5 Barbell Back Squat
        5x5 Deadlift
        4x10 Leg Press
        3x10 Good Mornings
        4x10 BB Hip Thrusts
        12,12,10,8,8 Seated Calf Raises
        5x12 Smith-Machine Calf Raises

How does this look plus i added a heavy 1 set burn out session at the end on leg extensions. Should i change anything or does this look pretty solid for quad, ass, and calf day?

new PR was 235 @ 5 reps today. Increases in numbers like a mother f****er!!!!!!
        Tampoco -
        I started implementing this today as followed (quad dominate)

5x5 Barbell Back Squat
        5x5 Deadlift
        4x10 Leg Press
        3x10 Good Mornings
        4x10 BB Hip Thrusts
        12,12,10,8,8 Seated Calf Raises
        5x12 Smith-Machine Calf Raises

How does this look plus i added a heavy 1 set burn out session at the end on leg extensions. Should i change anything or does this look pretty solid for quad, ass, and calf day?

new PR was 235 @ 5 reps today. Increases in numbers like a mother f****er!!!!!!
        I think that it's an ambitious day, but I don't think anyone can perform to their best potential on deadlift 5x5 after a squat 5x5. You may want to have another leg day for dead or have your deadlift as the opener/main event on your back day.

Those are definitely some great moves though
        Tampoco -
        Repped for testicles reference. Have you tried blood flow restriction training for calves?
        Hey

I don't have any experience with restriction training, but I imagine it hurts like hell. I do worry about vein thrombosis and or compartment syndrome, but I would love to see accelerated gains in the hams and calves.

What has your experience been with the method?
        AllPump3dUp -
        I think that it's an ambitious day, but I don't think anyone can perform to their best potential on deadlift 5x5 after a squat 5x5. You may want to have another leg day for dead or have your deadlift as the opener/main event on your back day.

Those are definitely some great moves though
        Sounds like a good move. Could i replace it with a front squat 5x5 or what rep scheme am i looking for? I was definitely surprised about the weight i hit on that last dead, 235 for 5 reps. when just a few months ago 235 was my 1 rep. ****in monster now hahaha
        Tampoco -
        Sounds like a good move. Could i replace it with a front squat 5x5 or what rep scheme am i looking for? I was definitely surprised about the weight i hit on that last dead, 235 for 5 reps. when just a few months ago 235 was my 1 rep. ****in monster now hahaha
        Lol yes you are a god among men... 235x5.

I recommend you get on a basic program and give it a year or so before you get creative. Set ambitious goals for yourself and plan the next year as a journey for 400lb dead, 300lb squat, 225lb bench or something like that.

Front squats are great, but a 5x5 scheme is going to have you around ~80% of your max, which is tough after already hitting back squat.

Today my deads were 5x5 at 455 and on my 5th set I went balls out for 10 reps. Couldn't quite lock out #11. Glutes quit on me
        AllPump3dUp -

Lol yes you are a god among men... 235x5.

I recommend you get on a basic program and give it a year or so before you get creative. Set ambitious goals for yourself and plan the next year as a journey for 400lb dead, 300lb squat, 225lb bench or something like that.

Front squats are great, but a 5x5 scheme is going to have you around ~80% of your max, which is tough after already hitting back squat.

Today my deads were 5x5 at 455 and on my 5th set I went balls out for 10 reps. Couldn't quite lock out #11. Glutes quit on me
        Could you actually recommend me a program to try? Remember, I am a Marine so cardio is a must unfortunately!