Beta Alanine Cuts Runners Times - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Beta Alanine Cuts Runners Times

From Ergo Log

If you're into athletics and like scouring the internet for new ways of boosting your performance, you'll probably have seen posts on Kagan Ducker's research. The Australian sports scientist has shown that a daily supplement containing 6 g beta-alanine can help runners reduce their time on the 800 m by almost four seconds.

After dozens of human lab studies, sports scientists no longer doubt the ergogenic effects of beta-alanine. But are these effects so strong and specific that beta-alanine actually boost performance during competitions? This is the question that Kagan, who works at the University of Western Australia, set out to answer in his recent publications.

One of these publications appeared in August 2013 in the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism and describes a study in which he gave well-trained rowers 6-7 g beta-alanine daily. [Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2013 Aug;23(4):336-43.]

After four weeks of supplementation Duckers' subjects had reduced their time for the 2000 m by 2.9 seconds, as the table above shows. The effect was not statistically significant, though.

Duckers' experiments with runners were more successful. [Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2013 Dec;23(6):554-61.] These subjects were also given 6-7 g beta-alanine for a period of four weeks. To be precise: 80 mg beta-alanine per kg bodyweight per day.

The supplementation had an exceptionally strong effect on the 800-m time, which decreased by 3.64 seconds, as you can see below. And yes, that was a statistically significant effect.

The positive effect of beta-alanine was particularly noticeable during the second half of this distance, Ducker discovered. If you know how beta-alanine works, which is by buffering lactic acid, that's not so surprising.

Ducker told in interviews that he was surprised at the amount of improvement that the amino acid induced. "3.6 seconds is a lot faster", he said. [sciencewa.net.au 24 February 2014] "In the 800m run I was expecting an improvement of maybe 1.5 seconds and so it was definitely a larger increase than what we were expecting."

"This result supports earlier research that have reported improved exercise capacity in tests lasting 60240 s", writes Ducker in his publication. "Future research should investigate if these ergogenic effects exist in elite athletes performing 800 m running races or simulations and in other modalities of exercise, with efforts lasting a similar time period (i.e., 24 min)."

Source:
      Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2013 Dec;23(6):554-61.

Source: http://www.ergo-log.com/beta-alanine...00-metres.html
      Comments 6 Comments
        rodefeeh -
        I wish the article talked about the timing of the dosage and if it was taken all at once - I'm assuming they didn't 6 g all at once. I've never seen a dosage that high.
        KingLeonidas9 -
        Originally Posted by rodefeeh View Post
        I wish the article talked about the timing of the dosage and if it was taken all at once - I'm assuming they didn't 6 g all at once. I've never seen a dosage that high.
        This
        elegua -
        Really interesting research, but what the heck? 6 grams? If I took that, it would feel like I was swimming in a lake of ants.
        Adrena1ine -
        Beta alanine is a staple in my workouts. I usually take 3 grams before and 2 grams after. That skin tingling is second nature now.
        cainb96 -
        I've been doing 3 grams pre and 3 grams intra for over a year now. Diffident improvements.
        kohai66 -
        Definitely going to do some digging on this for a best practice dosing. Thanks for sharing what has been working for you guys definitely a good starting point....

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.