Best Form Of Cardio? - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Best Form Of Cardio?

by Obi Obadike Bodybuilding.com

Q I can't do another hour on the treadmill. There has to be a better way to do cardio. What's your advice, Ripped Dude?

Why train and do cardio for an hour or two when you can get a great workout in 30 minutes? By implementing sprints into your weekly cardio routine, you get twice the benefits in half the time.

I know, I know. You're probably tired of hearing me preach about how great sprinting is, but the benefits are so incredible, I'll never stop talking about it. I know that my lean physique is a byproduct of all the years I spent as a college-level sprinter. I stay ripped because I continue to incorporate sprinting into my cardio regimen.

Aside from killer fat burn, the benefits of sprinting are multifaceted:

1 / Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption (EPOC)
      Yes, you burn a lot of calories while you're sprinting, but you also burn a lot of calories after you're done. This magical effect is known as EPOC. After you train, your body works hard to return to its normal state. Your body requires energy to restore blood lactate levels, normalize blood temperature, and bring the heart rate down. The harder you work the more disorder you bring to these systems. Your body then has to work harder to bring them back to normal. All that energy requires calories. Burning calories leads to a leaner body.

2 / ATP Storage
      Adenosine triphosphate (ATP) is your body's most basic energy currency. When muscles contract, they spend ATP as energy. To continue moving, your muscles require more and more ATP. Not only does your body need to produce it, but it also must replace it.

If you sprint, your hamstrings and glutes must use it and reproduce it at a fast rate. If you run out of ATP, you reach failure. Sprints help your body grow efficient at using and producing ATP. This means you'll be able to recover more quickly and train for longer before reaching fatigue.

3 / Beating Lactic Acid Legs

Sprinting makes your body more efficient at using and storing energy, and it also helps your muscles tolerate lactate. Strenuous aerobic activity produces lactate, and lactate can cause pain and fatigue. So there's value in developing tolerance.

During high-intensity activity, a chemical process called "buffering" reduces the acidity of your muscle fibers. Sprint regularly and your body gets better at buffering lactate. Less lactate means less fatigue. If you're not tired, you get to spend more time on the track being awesome!

I hope I've convinced you. Now, you need a great sprint workout to reap all those crazy benefits.

Obi's Killer Sprinting Workout ///
      Warm up and stretch for 15-20 minutes before you begin sprinting. This workout isn't going to be easy, but it is an incredible cardio workout that will burn a lot of calories. I do this workout three days per week, usually Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Sprint Ladder 1
      After each sprint, walk back to the starting line. After you walk back, begin the next step of the ladder. Run at about 70 percent speed.

100 meters
      200 meters
      300 meters
      400 meters

Sprint Ladder 2
      After 5 minutes of rest, begin the second ladder.

400 meters
      300 meters
      200 meters
      100 meters

Source: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-...do-cardio.html
      Comments 23 Comments
        Aj2000 -
        Sprinting / 70%

That isn't sprinting in the slightest!! Or even a sprint session!

Your theory's are.... Ok! But your recommendation is poor sorry

In order to best utilise the energy systems and to truly invoke the EPOC method and really get ripped from sprinting

You gonna need to go shorter and harder
        Just start with repeat 100m >95% with 5min rec for 8 reps and you will get. Heap more benefits then that session

Ps I'm a sprint coach!
        redbirdfan1 -
        Originally Posted by left hook View Post
        what u mean by "5min rec" ?

and 8 reps mean to sprint 8 100m ?

thanks
        at first I thought he meant you had 5 min to do 8 100 meter sprints. But maybe its 5 min recovery between 100M sprints
        redbirdfan1 -
        I thought he meant you had 5 min to 8 100 meter sprints...but reading it again it looks like 5 min recovery between 100 M sprints.
        TruthWalker -
        Do HIIT swimming instead!
        Aj2000 -
        Sorry guys I'm so used to writing programmes for my group I forget.

8reps with 5min recovery between each one which is a nice slow walk back to the start.
        By reducing the distance you can increase the intensity. This will get your energy systems firing massively, along with your fast twitch muscles ( why sprinters are ripped) as your fast twitch is basically your attractive muscle structure.

I'm not the best with my diet and only lift twice a week but sprint three times a week.

Even this session isn't the truest form of sprint training but is a lot closer and generic enough to hit the aspects you really need. Obviously play around with the reps and recovery to suit and even the distance slightly.

But as far as increasing EPOC values and even lactate tolerance (even actual speed and power improvement) this will work for most.
        Aj2000 -
        Lol no probs

Haha well..... Unfortunately if you did sprint repeats and fatigued to slower than 70% your likely to be in "lactic" hell and would no longer be "sprinting"

However (as long as you don't push yourself to injury) working from >95% and fatiguing down to <70% would yield great fitness results and actually hitting that kinda lactic would also give a HGH spike!

For this as you said working from as little as 1:30min rec will hit you hard very early if your not used to it.

If you can fit it in to your week schedule... I would say start with one session of repeats at 5 min rec to really hit your fast twitch fibres. And another session with shorter recovery until fatigue drops sharp to really increase your fitness.

Of course as I said earlier, if your wanting to really work print speed there are loads of different sessions to work on.

Unfortunately, the articles suggestion of longer reps at 70% are just not gonna kick it all in. No doubt you might be blowing n breathing hard but after about 30min you will be completely recovered and your fast twitch will just not be worked in the slightest
        cgh -
        what u mean by "5min rec" ?

and 8 reps mean to sprint 8 100m ?

thanks
        I think he means do 8 100 m sprints at 95%+ effort, and rest 5 minutes between each. That's a pretty typical workout for sprint athletes.
        Aj2000 -

yea im surprised @ the 5 minute rest. I guess when you REALLY sprint correctly it's different. I run as fast as my body lets me not sure if that qualifies as sprinting tho lol.

there's a difference between hitting a punching bag and boxing with a puncing bag.
        Lol exactly

Tbh you will hate the 5 min rest for the first couple of reps but as long as you are sprinting you will be great full of that rest after the 5th lol

Reason for the recovery is down to the fatigue nature of fast twitch, in order to increase elements such as citation and power ( and to get the sprint body) you need to run each one fresh enough that it truly is the fast twitch your working. ( as more you fatigue you switch to just working the slow twitch, which won't give you the real benefits your after)
        6andaHalf -
        Sprinting uphill has given me better results than anything I've ever done. Its a must for me after seeing the change in myself.

Sprint up, walk down, repeat.
        drewsicle3210 -
        Aj2000,

You are correct, thanks for your input.
        jaydollars -
        I used to run the 100, 5 minutes is not much rest at all if your really sprint at 95%, I was more ripped in track season then when I used to wrestle
        hswj86 -
        Can some type of a sprint workout be done on a treadmill??
        drewsicle3210 -
        Sure it can be done on a treadmill, but it would be aggravating and you won't get an explosive start. How fast does your treadmill go?
        jman245 -
        Originally Posted by hswj86 View Post
        Can some type of a sprint workout be done on a treadmill??
        yes,i would like t
        o know as well...
        6andaHalf -
        Originally Posted by jman245 View Post
        yes,i would like t
        o know as well...
        If I work on a treadmill for sprints I'll use an incline (about 10) and go in intervals.

Ex. 45 sec @ 9 mph > 45 sec @ 3.5 (to rest)
        I do about 8-12 intervals with great results.

The least rest time and the longer work time, the better the results. Just work your way up.
        jman245 -
        thank you!gonna try this today!
        Aj2000 -
        Sorry guys, but unles you have a superb treadmill it won't be sprinting, it "can" be a difficult session and very useful for conditioning

Benefits of the incline are for knee lift your forced to work a little harder to get you foot contact on the platform in front of you, this will fatigue you more and get you blowing out ya ass a little faster then normal.
        For a conditioning session I have my guys very early winter training do 30 seconds on and 30 seconds off and that is literal

Bump the treadmill as fast as it can go. Anything less then 15mph is not worth it IMO. Run for 30 sec and then literally but safely jump your legs to the side. And then jump back on after 30 at full speed repeat until dead :-)

These kinda sessions are anaerobic threshold sessions ( you won't ever go fast enough on a commercial treadmill, to get the "sprint" benefits)
        Remember the attractive looking muscles are the strong powerful ones and they need that maximum stress on short bursts to really get firing.

Treadmill sessions are good for conditioning and mitochondrial development and useful when the weather is just too damn much

Nothing replaces a sprint session! :-)
        jman245 -
        i just dont have a hill :(
        6andaHalf -
        A hill is best, but if you're not training TO BE a competitive sprinter and really just going for the body composition benefits than any decent treadmill will work. The faster the better. Just start small and work down the rest times and work up the speed and incline. You are still perfectly capable of totally kicking your own ass without a hill.
        sugardaddy69 -
        for safety reasons during winter can I use an elyptical or a rowing machine for indoor sprints

also is hill climber sprints good,

I try to sprint in summer only 50 m than I jog backwards (meaning run with my back facing direction I run to) to the start line and sprint again usually 10 sets.

I am no fast mofo so I would not call that sprints just fast jog I guess but I try as hard as I can :)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.