• Baking Powder Increases Reps

From Ergo-Log

Sodium bicarbonate plain old baking powder isn't just an interesting a supplement for endurance athletes. According to sports scientists at the University of Southern Mississippi, bodybuilders manage more reps after taking a hefty dose of sodium bicarbonate.

Sodium bicarbonate, a compound that occurs naturally in our blood, has a buffer effect. This effects helps performance when muscle cells are subjected to intense activity and acidify. Sodium bicarbonate can neutralise the acid released to a certain extent, and is therefore an effective endurance sports supplement.

One reason that there aren't more people taking sodium bicarb is the dose. It's so high that frequent use is bound to lead to stomach problems. [And to sodium poisoning? Critical note from the editor.] Should you be thinking of experimenting with sodium bicarbonate, make sure you read up on the subject first, so you know exactly what you can and can't do.

The Americans were curious whether sodium bicarbonate could also help strength athletes. Studies done in the 1990s suggest it doesn't. [Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1993 Aug; 25(8): 960-5.] [Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1998 Apr; 30(4): 523-8.] But, the Americans say, the subjects in these studies had a lower training volume than the average bodybuilder.

For their experiment the American researchers used 12 male students, average age 20, who had been doing weight training for at least two years. The students had to train their legs by doing 4 sets of squats, 4 sets of leg presses and 4 sets of leg extensions. They used a weight with which they would be able to do 10-12 reps, and rested for 90 seconds between their sets.

On one occasion the students were given a placebo and on the other they were given sodium bicarbonate. They were given 0.3 g sodium bicarb per kilogram bodyweight, so a student weighing 80 kg took 24 g of the substance.

The students divided this huge dose over four intakes, with a 10-minute pause between each. They washed the capsules down with 1.6 litres of Gatorade and ate a bread roll to keep their stomach quiet. The sodium bicarb administration started 80 minutes before the students started their workout.

Supplementation increased the training volume of the whole workout by a total of four percent. SQ = squat; LP = leg-press, KE = leg-extensions.

The table above shows that sodium bicarbonate supplementation causes the pH to decrease less so makes the blood less acid. The extra molecules of sodium bicarb in the blood neutralise the hydrogen atoms released by the muscle cells into the blood, and therefore enable the muscle cells to contract for longer.

"Sodium bicarbonate administration in the present study significantly improved total accumulated repetitions during a lower-body hypertrophy-type resistance exercise regimen", the researchers write. Whether the higher training volume actually meant the strength athletes progressed more, they don't know. It's possible that the acidification, which takes place during strength training and is blocked by sodium bicarbonate, is actually essential for progression to take place.

"For supplementation of this nature to be practical for real-world use in conjunction with hypertrophy-type resistance exercise, the enhanced exercise performance must translate into enhanced training adaptations", the researchers continue. "As there have been no reported investigations into the effects of sodium bicarbonate administration on chronic resistance training, future studies should examine the impact of sodium bicarbonate on the training adaptations associated with hypertrophy-type resistance exercise."

Source:
      Eur J Appl Physiol. 2013 Mar;113(3):743-52.

Source: http://www.ergo-log.com/mega-dose-of...more-reps.html
      Comments 15 Comments
        masonic -
        Sodium bicarbonate is baking soda. Baking powder is a different substance made up of baking soda, an acid, and some starch.
        JLock -
        12 participants? Is that the extent of the study?
        mikeg313 -
        Just a dumb ass post. Plenty of other more reasonable methods of increasing endurance that are much more agreeable then downing 24g of baking soda.
        TheSwanks -
        you beat me to it, thats the first thing I thought of
        MANotaur -
        Yeah i work with these guys....its not the best study but it was done by a few grad students who are studying the physiology of high volume exercise routines.

The intended goal was to see if somehow buffering/limiting the buildup of lactic acid in the muscular system would somehow increase the subjects ability to lift more weight.

NaHCO3 was used because of its relatively safe use and its ability to act as buffer and neutralize acids. The only complaints issued by the subjects were constipation, mild/moderate stomach distension, and upset stomach. This is all probably due to the large amount of gas created with an acid/base reaction.

Im legally not allowed to say what the next phase od the study is but they will be using this data to proceed with the next (main) phase of studies that will involve a double blind placebo-control study
        SXIPro -
        I started burping just reading this.

And, MANotaur, what does having 'a large amount of ass' have to do with this?

:)
        TheSwanks -
        Originally Posted by MANotaur View Post
        Yeah i work with these guys....its not the best study but it was done by a few grad students who are studying the physiology of high volume exercise routines.

The intended goal was to see if somehow buffering/limiting the buildup of tactic acid in the muscular system would somehow increase the subjects ability to lift more weight.

NaHCO3 was used because of its relatively safe use. The only complaints issued by the subjects were constipation, mild/moderate stomach distension, and upset stomach. This is all probably due to the large amount of ass and created with an acid/base reaction.

Im legally not allowed to say what the next phase od the study is but they will be using this data to proceed with the next (main) phase of studies that will involve a double blind placebo-control study
        interesting, thanks for the info Man!
        MANotaur -
        Originally Posted by SXIPro View Post
        I started burping just reading this.

And, MANotaur, what does having 'a large amount of ass' have to do with this?

:)
        Lol i just fixed it
        MANotaur -
        Originally Posted by cswalczakny View Post

interesting, thanks for the info Man!
        The perks of being a doctorate student lol
        PalmFist -
        I've heard of this several times now. It's good to see some collegiate level research going on about this type of supplementation. I've read that paired with creatine supplementation the sodium bicarbonate increases lifting capacity even more than with either compound alone. More needs to be done before I start throwing it in my mix though...
        ka0tik -
        Kre-alkalyn?
        Vengeance187 -
        Originally Posted by MANotaur View Post
        I'm guessing it will be this but with weight training.
        fightbackhxc -
        Originally Posted by masonic View Post
        Sodium bicarbonate is baking soda. Baking powder is a different substance made up of baking soda, an acid, and some starch.
        I was thinking the same thing. Doesn't help the credibility of this article.
        MANotaur -
        Originally Posted by Vengeance187 View Post
        I'm guessing it will be this but with weight training.
        SWIM may have heard somewhere in my department of hear say about a study that is reasonabley similar to that one....

But i can't say for certain obviously..its all rumors. And if i want my my position at the school then i can neither deny nor affirm that suggestion ;-)
        Fonzi135 -
        Omfg why jesus why