Arnold On Abs - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Arnold On Abs

By Arnold Schwarzenegger Flex

During my bodybuilding heyday, I was known for a few bodyparts — my chest, my biceps, my back and even my calves. However, it was my abdominals to which I paid the most attention. I knew then, as I do now, that you could have the biggest arms, the broadest shoulders and the most cut thighs, but if you have poor abdominal development, you’ll look simply overgrown rather than Herculean.

Conversely, if you have a taut set of abs, you can get away with a less than spectacular physique. People’s eyes are naturally drawn to the midsection, and if yours is well developed, you will give the viewer the immediate impression of being in shape.

Oddly, I have found that the majority of bodybuilders do not pay nearly as much attention to their midsections as they should. Many perform ab exercises once — maybe twice — a week, while others don’t train their abs at all! Then, when the summer rolls around, they’ll be in the gym doubling up on ab training, trying to get some semblance of development before they have to reveal their torsos at the beach.

By training your abdominal region regularly, not only will you ensure that your midsection has the requisite ridges and valleys come summer, but you’ll also build yourself a strong core, which will help you to prevent future injuries — the kind that come from imbalanced strength.

When I think of great abdominal development, one of the fi rst men to come to mind is my friend Frank Zane. He had such a tiny waist and a midsection that was so well balanced — from serratus to obliques to intercostals to rectus abdominis — that he looked like the living, breathing incarnation of Michelangelo’s David. I remember it seemed like I saw Frank on a Roman chair every workout, both at the beginning and at the end. He would go for 500 reps each workout. I used to chide him about all that time he spent training his abs, but I couldn’t deny that it did the trick.

Now I’m not about to recommend that you do 500 reps of Roman-chair situps daily, but I will tell you that in order to get a trim, nicely developed abdominal region, you’re going to have to put in some effort. I’m talking about training your abs at least three times per week and aiming for no fewer than 100 reps per workout. It might not seem like much compared to Frank’s grueling routine, but the truth is, it’s still a good workload. If you think of those 100 reps in terms of another bodypart, say chest, that would be like doing 10 sets of 10 reps.

Like Frank, one of my favorite ab exercises is Romanchair situps. If your gym has a Roman chair, take advantage and make it a staple of your ab routine. I have also always liked rope crunches. Grab a rope attached to a high cable, get on your knees and crunch down, pulling your hands in to your chest. I especially like these for the upper abdominal area.

Hanging leg raises are an absolute must for lower ab development. With your knees slightly bent, raise your feet until they’re past parallel with the floor, then lower them back down in the same controlled motion with which you raised them. And when it comes to tightening the obliques, nothing beats broomstick twists — which can also be performed while sitting on a Roman chair — because they make the obliques especially hard.

I’ve outlined an ab routine for you to follow. It hits all the areas of the midsection without placing emphasis on one over the other. Perform it three or four times per week and within two months you’re sure to see great changes, not just to your abs, but to your whole physique.

- See more at: http://www.flexonline.com/training/a....8w0nLYJz.dpuf
      Comments 8 Comments
        Quatie -
        No need to do abs if your doing big compound lifts.
        wrestler52 -
        Originally Posted by Quatie View Post
        Yup sculpted abs through osmosis. Sounds legit!
        snagencyV2.0 -
        Originally Posted by wrestler52 View Post
        Yup sculpted abs through osmosis. Sounds legit!
        LOL what a first post
        welcome to AM

Originally Posted by Quatie View Post
        uhh, false
        you make a statement of relativity, and preference -- certainly not fact
        yes compound lifts will work the midsection to enhance muscle & stability in core, to an extent..
        such lifts will surely not develop the six-pack Arnold had
        it is a two-part recipe:
        abs are made with some direct work, and finalized in the kitchen
        any compound work just helps the overall progression
        smallerthanG -
        there is no substitute for working a body part individually and abs deserve the same or more attention especially if you neglect them like I have in the past...to new beginnings...Abs anyone...
        Kex -
        I read this in a "Arnold voice"
        timbonz -
        Originally Posted by Kex View Post
        I read this in a "Arnold voice"
        Yeah I was doing the exact same thing haha
        killandgo -
        Originally Posted by snagencyV2.0 View Post
        LOL what a first post
        welcome to AM

uhh, false
        you make a statement of relativity, and preference -- certainly not fact
        yes compound lifts will work the midsection to enhance muscle & stability in core, to an extent..
        such lifts will surely not develop the six-pack Arnold had
        it is a two-part recipe:
        abs are made with some direct work, and finalized in the kitchen
        any compound work just helps the overall progression
        Absolutely correct, especially from a bb's perspective. As a strength athlete, I don't need sculpted abs, I need strong ones. There is a school of thought that compound lifts train the abs enough. I do not subscribe to this theory (maybe a small percentage of lifters who don't compete and maintain good posture can get away with this... Maybe.) When I get lazy and skip or skimp on the abs, the core lifts suffer. And my lower back hurts. The best strength athletes in the world will most likely agree. I'm getting in the habit of doing abs first on two of my weekly workouts. No way of running out of time using that methodology:)
        kissdadookie -
        I hit abs at the end of each workout with one day out of the week doubling up on abs work. So that comes out to hitting my abs and obliques 5-6 times a week depending on the week (3 days on, 1 day off).