6 Things Not To Do In The Power Rack - AnabolicMinds.com
    • 6 Things Not To Do In The Power Rack

By Mike Simone Men's Fitness

Power racks or squat racks, play an important role for strength and power training. But in gyms and training rooms across the country, novice patrons commonly crowd the space doing pointless or even dangerous exercises that interrupt other gym-goers' workouts. We've asked Men's Fitness and Muscle & Fitness advisory board member and owner of Total Performance Sports, C.J., Murphy MFS, C-ISSN, for his list of illegal exercises to do at a power rack station—whether they're pointless to do or just annoying for others.

Behind the Neck Presses

Murphy calls this movement "the rotator cuff killer." He says that you would be stronger and healthier by doing standing presses with the bar in front of you, not behind.
      Verdict: Dangerous

Anything Seated

"Sitting down while lifting increases the damaging shear forces on your lumbar spine," Murphy says. The only time you should be sitting in the power rack should be after a grueling set of squats.
      Verdict: Dangerous and pointless

Overhead Tricep Extension

Remember, the power rack is for big movements. If you want to do more specialized, smaller muscle group exercises there are other places in the gym for that. "Find a utility bench near the dumbbell rack and don't take up valuable training space with nonsense," Murphy says.
      Verdict: Pointless

Upright Rows

Murphy claims the upright row as "the second worst rotator cuff exercise ever invented." If you're looking to effectively develop the shoulders and trap muscles, he recommends doing high pulls instead to minimize the strain on the shoulder complex.
      Verdict: Dangerous

Kipping Pull-ups

These pull-ups consist of a great deal of jerking and bouncing your body weight to pull up on the bar. "Crossfit made these popular, I don't know why. You'll never be able to do a real pull-up by doing these and you'll probably dislocate your shoulder while doing them," Murphy warns. He recommends, if you can't do a traditional pull up, get a band for assistance and perform them from a dead hang.
      Verdict: Dangerous and pointless

Curls

Curls in the power rack is a complete waste of space and pointless. "It's just bad gym etiquette. You can put the bar on the floor if you need to. Don't waste rack space," Murphy says.
      Verdict: Absolutely pointless

Source: http://www.mensfitness.com/fitness/s...t-rack-station
      Comments 24 Comments
        farmtireguy -
        See douche bags at the gym thread. ;-)
        CopyCat -
        I agree the power rack may not be the best place for doing kipping pull ups, but I disagree that they don't have a purpose or are not good. I do agree that if you can not do dead hang pull ups and if you have weak shoulders that you may not want to start with them.
        gotta get big -
        Lol a mutual friend lost 6 months at the gym from tearing his shoulder doing said pull-ups. Not worth it imo
        CopyCat -
        Originally Posted by gotta get big View Post
        Lol a mutual friend lost 6 months at the gym from tearing his shoulder doing said pull-ups. Not worth it imo
        Mutual friend?
        gotta get big -
        Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post

Mutual friend?
        Typed doing cardio... meant friend of a friend, wow, not even close ha. Anyways, wasn't pretty (the shoulder tear)
        AaronJP1 -
        Originally Posted by farmtireguy View Post
        See douche bags at the gym thread. ;-)
        :laughing:
        charlesn989 -
        Have to disagree with the kipping pull ups. They are a solid plyometric exercise designed for functionAl fitness. They weren't made popular by crossfit. For the last god knows how many years, the US Marines have incorporated them in training for their pft, where you must do strict, dead hang pull ups. Yes, if you only Kip, you will not do dead hangs well, but combining dh with kipping will allow you to get all you can out of your muscles. Also, they are unlikely to dislocate the shoulder. Only if you do them improperly will you injure yourself. In the down position, the shoulders are actively engaged, not free hanging with your arms by your ears. If you know how to do pull ups and know how to Kip properly, you will notnhurt yourself.
        ozymandias -
        "Anything Seated" What about Military presses? I do mine in my rack at home. Saves energy by not having to lift the weight up off the floor.
        andrewk369 -
        Lol yeah what about box squats? You technically sit there. What they need to do an article on is things that you can do in the power rack instead of on the Olympic lifting station. My school has many power racks but only two oly lift stations. You can do bent over rows/ shrugs on the power rack...not so much snatches lol.
        calvin311 -
        Originally Posted by charlesn989 View Post
        For the last god knows how many years, the US Marines have incorporated them in training for their pft
        Not true, other than when doing crossfit for PT, we did not even once in 5 years do kipping pullups as a method to train for the PFT. And anyways, MOS's that sit around training for PFT's aren't the ones you should be looking to for fitness role models.
        swollen87 -
        lol @charles trying to justify kipping pullups- theyre retarded...... its a gymnast pullup
        ricka182 -
        Have to disagree with the kipping pull ups. They are a solid plyometric exercise designed for functionAl fitness. They weren't made popular by crossfit. For the last god knows how many years, the US Marines have incorporated them in training for their pft, where you must do strict, dead hang pull ups. Yes, if you only Kip, you will not do dead hangs well, but combining dh with kipping will allow you to get all you can out of your muscles. Also, they are unlikely to dislocate the shoulder. Only if you do them improperly will you injure yourself. In the down position, the shoulders are actively engaged, not free hanging with your arms by your ears. If you know how to do pull ups and know how to Kip properly, you will notnhurt yourself.
        Sorry to say, but you're wrong. I am a former Marine, and can say there is no kipping allowed. I enlisted in '95, and that was right about when kipping was being banned. I saw potential Marines doing 20-30 kip-ups, and then when told to do dead-hang, they asked to just go home after failing to do even one real dead hang pull up.

Marine Corps Order P6100.12, which defines the Marine Corps PFT rules. On page 21, you will find the rules for pull ups. It's a rather long(131 pages) PDF, so to find it quicker, do a search for, pull up. Hit the next button 5 times, and you should be right at section 2101, look at paragraph 8. No kipping allowed, or it doesn't count.
        (can't post a link yet, but here most of the URL)
        marines.mil/news/publications/Documents/MCO%20P6100.12%20W%20CH%201.pd f

Originally Posted by Marine Corps Order 6100.12, page 21, section 2101, paragraph 8 View Post
        (8) The intent is to execute a vertical “dead hang” pull-up. A certain
        amount of inherent body movement will occur as the pull-up is executed. However,
        the intent is to avoid a pendulum-like motion that enhances the ability to execute
        the pull-up. Whipping, kicking, kipping of the body or legs, or any leg movement
        used to assist in the vertical progression of the pull-up is not authorized. If
        observed, the repetition will not count for score.
        charlesn989 -
        Originally Posted by ricka182 View Post

Sorry to say, but you're wrong. I am a former Marine, and can say there is no kipping allowed. I enlisted in '95, and that was right about when kipping was being banned. I saw potential Marines doing 20-30 kip-ups, and then when told to do dead-hang, they asked to just go home after failing to do even one real dead hang pull up.

Marine Corps Order P6100.12, which defines the Marine Corps PFT rules. On page 21, you will find the rules for pull ups. It's a rather long(131 pages) PDF, so to find it quicker, do a search for, pull up. Hit the next button 5 times, and you should be right at section 2101, look at paragraph 8. No kipping allowed, or it doesn't count.
        (can't post a link yet, but here most of the URL)
        marines.mil/news/publications/Documents/MCO%20P6100.12%20W%20CH%201.pd f
        Thank you captain obvious. As a midshipman, I also perform the pft and yes, we do dead hangs. But during pt we practice kipping and dead hangs because kipping is a functional movement. When you did the o course did you just pull straight up and chicken wing the high bar? No, unless you college boy it, you Kip because it is faster. Also, in a calisthenics setting, kipping pull ups are more efficient because they keep your heart rate up. They banned kipping because the pft was a measure of how well you could Kip, not how much muscle endurance and strength your shoulders have. In the new Corps, functional fitness is stressed in a lot of the training commands especially, so kipping is back 'in' as a supplement to dead hangs.
        charlesn989 -
        Originally Posted by swollen87 View Post
        lol @charles trying to justify kipping pullups- theyre retarded...... its a gymnast pullup
        That made no sense. Any pull up is a 'gymnast pull up.'. Kipping is functional in a calisthenics setting, not if you want to do more dead hangs. So yes, kipping is good. Go to Force Recon and tell them that the cross fit kipping pull up is ****. They will crank out fifty, then do the 20 dead hangers for kicks and giggles. Take some exercise science classes and learn about this thing called a balanced training program. It combines plyometrics, resistance training, and calisthenics all together, so why not adapt exercises to fit more than one niche.
        duke66 -
        Think the point of the article was in the case of pullups; go do them somewhere else on a regular chinning bar instead of taking up valuable space in the "power rack".
        gotta get big -

That made no sense. Any pull up is a 'gymnast pull up.'. Kipping is functional in a calisthenics setting, not if you want to do more dead hangs. So yes, kipping is good. Go to Force Recon and tell them that the cross fit kipping pull up is ****. They will crank out fifty, then do the 20 dead hangers for kicks and giggles. Take some exercise science classes and learn about this thing called a balanced training program. It combines plyometrics, resistance training, and calisthenics all together, so why not adapt exercises to fit more than one niche.
        Dude you're an idiot. You want to do it wrong and look like a fool, don't waste anyone else's time doing so. You want results, be a man and do pull ups the right way with some chains. You're welcome.
        farmtireguy -
        Wow that was hilarious
        5x5 -
        I'll keep doing my squats in the curl rack.
        CopyCat -
        I feel Kipping serves a purpose. Should it be the only way one does pull ups? No. Not going to get into a dog fight here. Reason being is it boils down to the same kind of arguments people get into about Crossfit and stuff. People are wither for it or not and there is not a damn thing anyone can do about it and it always becomes the classic internet argument... it's like the special olympics... either way you are retarded...lol

However, since we are on the topic of pull ups and everyone seems so passionate I invite you all to join me in a little fun... A 100 day pull up challenge. See the link below and join me. Regardless of method or ideology it should be a good time.

100 Day Pull-up/Push Up Challenge!!! Join Me Starting Friday Dec 16th!!!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.