Squats Give More Hormone Response Than Leg Press - AnabolicMinds.com
    • Squats Give More Hormone Response Than Leg Press

From Ergo Log

Squats create a stronger anabolic stimulus in the body than equally heavy sets on a leg press machine. Sports scientists from the University of North Texas report on this in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. The Texans discovered that bodybuilders synthesise more growth hormone and testosterone after a squat session than after a session on a leg press machine.

Strength training done with bars and dumbbells produces better results than using machines. Training with free weights is also better for physical coordination and stimulates more muscle groups than training with machines does. What’s more, the movements you make with free weights tend to be more natural and therefore injuries are less likely to happen.

Whether training on machines or with free weights also has different physiological effects is not known. That's why the Texans did an experiment with ten well-trained male strength athletes – average age 25 years – who trained their legs on two occasions: on one occasion doing squats and on another using the leg press. Both times the athletes did 6 sets of 10 reps. For each training session they used weights that were 80 percent of the weight at which they could just manage 1 rep [1RM].

Immediately after the session [IP], and 15 and 30 minutes later, the researchers observed that the concentration of testosterone and growth hormone in the men's blood was higher than the previous measurement. But the increase in the two muscle-building hormones was considerably higher after the squat training than after the leg-press training session.

The men found both kinds of training session equally tiring.

When the researchers calculated the amount of effort the men had expended during the two sessions, they discovered why the concentrations of growth hormone and testosterone were higher after the squat session. Although the men used more weight on the leg-press machine their exertion was 42 percent higher during the squat session.

That's because the men also had to work against their own bodyweight during the squats, and because the range of movement is greater during a squat than when using the leg press.

"At similar intensities and ratings of perceived exertion, the free weight (squat) exercise produces a greater acute hormonal response than the machine weight (leg press) exercise", the researchers summarise. "The strength and conditioning professional should therefore consider choosing free weight exercises over machine weight analogs to induce a greater acute hormonal response, as this might subsequently result in superior physiological adaptations."

The publication is based on the thesis written by the first author, Aaron Shaner. See here.

Source:
      J Strength Cond Res. 2013 Nov 22. [Epub ahead of print].

Source: http://www.ergo-log.com/squat-produc...leg-press.html
      Comments 49 Comments
        NattyForLife -
        Originally Posted by Zac Speed View Post
        I wish my gym had in of those vertical presses.. I've seen them but never got to use one.
        They are pretty cool machines. They will give you a burn you have never felt before.
        I know -
        Originally Posted by Zac Speed View Post
        I wish my gym had in of those vertical presses.. I've seen them but never got to use one.
        You can do them carefully on the smith machine

Put a sterching pad on the ground for your tail bone

Have a fellow pump head release the bar for you. And hammer away

Put the safety pin up. Just in case your feet slide off bar.

And u got a vertical leg press.

Good luck friend
        EatMoar -
        Originally Posted by NattyForLife View Post

True, but so is leg press.
        Blah not the same adrenaline pumped feeling.
        I know -
        Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post

Blah not the same adrenaline pumped feeling.
        That's what I've been trying to get across To my fellow pump heads
        NattyForLife -
        Originally Posted by I know View Post
        That's what I've been trying to get across To my fellow pump heads
        No you havent. You been trying to say that leg press is a girly exercise. Dude its just like chest exercises; your not only going to do bench press for chest; your going to utilize flys, pullovers, and machines.
        TheMovement -
        Man that troll was funny lol
        NattyForLife -
        Originally Posted by TheMovement View Post
        Man that troll was funny lol
        Too funny!
        Stl_Lift -
        Hi I'm 15 and what is this pump head? Does cellucor make it? Do I need pct?
        Fizzeek -
        The squat has a greater systemic strain, even psychologically for most people than the leg press. It isn't as comfortable having your spine loaded, plus the thought or subconcious thought that if you "do it wrong" you could get seriously hurt, is what elicits the hormone response seen in the study.

But on the other hand; leg presses are only a "girly exercise" for those who make it that way...that's what happens when you do it wrong just like any other exercise you don't try hard enough on.