• Squats Give More Hormone Response Than Leg Press

From Ergo Log

Squats create a stronger anabolic stimulus in the body than equally heavy sets on a leg press machine. Sports scientists from the University of North Texas report on this in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. The Texans discovered that bodybuilders synthesise more growth hormone and testosterone after a squat session than after a session on a leg press machine.

Strength training done with bars and dumbbells produces better results than using machines. Training with free weights is also better for physical coordination and stimulates more muscle groups than training with machines does. Whatís more, the movements you make with free weights tend to be more natural and therefore injuries are less likely to happen.

Whether training on machines or with free weights also has different physiological effects is not known. That's why the Texans did an experiment with ten well-trained male strength athletes Ė average age 25 years Ė who trained their legs on two occasions: on one occasion doing squats and on another using the leg press. Both times the athletes did 6 sets of 10 reps. For each training session they used weights that were 80 percent of the weight at which they could just manage 1 rep [1RM].

Immediately after the session [IP], and 15 and 30 minutes later, the researchers observed that the concentration of testosterone and growth hormone in the men's blood was higher than the previous measurement. But the increase in the two muscle-building hormones was considerably higher after the squat training than after the leg-press training session.

The men found both kinds of training session equally tiring.

When the researchers calculated the amount of effort the men had expended during the two sessions, they discovered why the concentrations of growth hormone and testosterone were higher after the squat session. Although the men used more weight on the leg-press machine their exertion was 42 percent higher during the squat session.

That's because the men also had to work against their own bodyweight during the squats, and because the range of movement is greater during a squat than when using the leg press.

"At similar intensities and ratings of perceived exertion, the free weight (squat) exercise produces a greater acute hormonal response than the machine weight (leg press) exercise", the researchers summarise. "The strength and conditioning professional should therefore consider choosing free weight exercises over machine weight analogs to induce a greater acute hormonal response, as this might subsequently result in superior physiological adaptations."

The publication is based on the thesis written by the first author, Aaron Shaner. See here.

Source:
      J Strength Cond Res. 2013 Nov 22. [Epub ahead of print].

Source: http://www.ergo-log.com/squat-produc...leg-press.html
      Comments 49 Comments
        I know -
        Originally Posted by NattyForLife View Post

I dont have a problem. Lets finish this already. The article is true; squats do make your body release more hormones than leg press, but leg press is still a good exercise.
        Why waste time on the leg press. Spend the time on calves bro
        NattyForLife -
        Originally Posted by Rang30fMotion View Post
        hahaha. The argument is better than the article.
        This is true.
        I know -

This is true.
        There ya go kiddo
        Zac Speed -
        I love squats, but I also utilize the press for single leg presses.
        NattyForLife -
        Originally Posted by Zac Speed View Post
        Exactly.
        pyrobatt -
        Why would it matter if you're drug free? Point a to point b faster? Lol
        I know -
        Even more girly of an exercise.
        Zac Speed -
        Originally Posted by I know View Post

Even more girly of an exercise.
        One of my thighs is like three of yours.. Shut your c0cksucker.
        NattyForLife -
        Take it easy, man. He is just a troll! Lol
        Zac Speed -

Take it easy, man. He is just a troll! Lol
        I was pretty chill.. He got like a 4.
        I know -

Your belly is like four of mine you mean there, porky.
        bmode80 -
        That's a ridiculous idea 100% squats bro or go home Leg press is for girls!!!!
        And macho comments are for insecure little men.

What's the point in heavy squats? More hormone? Maybe...so what! Oh you'll get huge doing it?! Nope! You'll get strong? Yep sure, but tell me why you need the strength the squat 200kg....no real world benefit unless you're a pro athlete. Is that everyone? No! The majority of us are lifting to look good, be honest. What looks good? Huge legs! How do you get huge legs?? Huge VOLUME and FREQUENCY! If you're frying your CNS every 7 days you can train this way.

Leg press or squat?? Who cares, they both hit from different aspects so need to do both for complete development in most cases.
        I know -
        Originally Posted by bmode80 View Post

And macho comments are for insecure little men.

What's the point in heavy squats? More hormone? Maybe...so what! Oh you'll get huge doing it?! Nope! You'll get strong? Yep sure, but tell me why you need the strength the squat 200kg....no real world benefit unless you're a pro athlete. Is that everyone? No! The majority of us are lifting to look good, be honest. What looks good? Huge legs! How do you get huge legs?? Huge VOLUME and FREQUENCY! If you're frying your CNS every 7 days you can train this way.

Leg press or squat?? Who cares, they both hit from different aspects so need to do both for complete development in most cases.

Leg press or squats who care?

WE DO!!!! And if your a true pump head you'd care too.

Squats are the real deal. Do them or become a runner
        Zac Speed -

Leg press or squats who care?

WE DO!!!! And if your a true pump head you'd care too.

Squats are the real deal. Do them or become a runner
        If that's you in your avatar pic, your abs look like ****. Mine show more and I've been dirty bulking.

I'll give you a little advice from an aspiring pro. A variety of workouts builds a more aesthetic and complete body.

18 sets of squats on a hamstring day is not a very good idea for a true body building workout.

5 sets of squats
        5 sets of 1 legged presses
        4 sets hamstring curls
        4 sets kick backs for that nice booty shape.
        4 sets abductor/inductor
        4 sets light lunges at a high intensity
        Then its time for calves!
        I know -

If that's you in your avatar pic, your abs look like ****. Mine show more and I've been dirty bulking.

I'll give you a little advice from an aspiring pro. A variety of workouts builds a more aesthetic and complete body.

18 sets of squats on a hamstring day is not a very good idea for a true body building workout.

5 sets of squats
        5 sets of 1 legged presses
        4 sets hamstring curls
        4 sets kick backs for that nice booty shape.
        4 sets abductor/inductor
        4 sets light lunges at a high intensity
        Then its time for calves!
        No leg extensions?

Got work your tear drop bro

My abs are ripped there but yes also very depleted. It was end of a week of my carb depletion before starting carb up time.
        Zac Speed -

No leg extensions?

Got work your tear drop bro

My abs are ripped there but yes also very depleted. It was end of a week of my carb depletion before starting carb up time.
        Are you a ****ing retard? Last I checked Extensions weren't a hamstring movement. They're a quad movement.
        NattyForLife -
        Originally Posted by bmode80 View Post
        And macho comments are for insecure little men. What's the point in heavy squats? More hormone? Maybe...so what! Oh you'll get huge doing it?! Nope! You'll get strong? Yep sure, but tell me why you need the strength the squat 200kg....no real world benefit unless you're a pro athlete. Is that everyone? No! The majority of us are lifting to look good, be honest. What looks good? Huge legs! How do you get huge legs?? Huge VOLUME and FREQUENCY! If you're frying your CNS every 7 days you can train this way. Leg press or squat?? Who cares, they both hit from different aspects so need to do both for complete development in most cases.
        Well said.
        EatMoar -

Well said.
        Heavy squats are just fun lol
        Zac Speed -
        I wish my gym had in of those vertical presses.. I've seen them but never got to use one.
        NattyForLife -
        Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
        Heavy squats are just fun lol
        True, but so is leg press.