DAA Doesn't Work - AnabolicMinds.com
    • DAA Doesn't Work

by Will Brink Brinkzone

In the video below, I discuss the popular “Testosterone booster” supplement D-Aspartic Acid (DAA) and update my opinions of this general category of supplements.

Study mentioned in the vid:

D-Aspartic acid supplementation combined with 28 days of heavy resistance training has no effect on body composition, muscle strength, and serum hormones associated with the hypothalamo-pituitary-gonadal axis in resistance-trained men

Department of Health, Exercise and Biochemical Nutrition Lab, Human Performance, and Recreation, Baylor University, Waco, TX, USA

Abstract

It was hypothesized that d-aspartic acid (D-ASP) supplementation would not increase endogenous testosterone levels or improve muscular performance associated with resistance training. Therefore, body composition, muscle strength, and serum hormone levels associated with the hypothalamo-pituitary-gonadal axis were studied after 28 days of resistance training and D-ASP supplementation. Resistance-trained men resistance trained 4 times/wk for 28 days while orally ingesting either 3 g of placebo or 3 g of D-ASP.

Data were analyzed with 2 × 2 analysis of variance (P < .05). Before and after resistance training and supplementation, body composition and muscle strength, serum gonadal hormones, and serum D-ASP and d-aspartate oxidase (DDO) were determined. Body composition and muscle strength were significantly increased in both groups in response to resistance training (P < .05) but not different from one another (P > .05). Total and free testosterone, luteinizing hormone, gonadotropin-releasing hormone, and estradiol were unchanged with resistance training and D-ASP supplementation (P > .05).

For serum D-ASP and DDO, D-ASP resulted in a slight increase compared with baseline levels (P > .05). For the D-ASP group, the levels of serum DDO were significantly increased compared with placebo (P < .05). [B]The gonadal hormones were unaffected by 28 days of D-ASP supplementation and not associated with the observed increases in muscle strength and mass.

Therefore, at the dose provided, D-ASP supplementation is ineffective in up-regulating the activity of the hypothalamo-pituitary-gonadal axis and has no anabolic or ergogenic effects in skeletal muscle.

- See more at: http://www.brinkzone.com/supplement-....i1ChgFlo.dpuf
      Comments 53 Comments
        bachelard -
        The placebo effect is a wonderful thing.
        bakerwil -
        Originally Posted by OnionKnight View Post
        cuz youre gullible as f*k?

theres a whole lot of stoopid coming out because of this article
        Your a d((*k.
        j4ever41 -
        Originally Posted by bakerwil View Post
        If it does not raise test, why does DAA make me so strong every time I use it? Is it because I am 46?
        Seems to be the only product I have found where I can put on what amounts to a pound or two of solid muscle each run.
        no disrespect as this is my opinion, but I would say placebo effect, is there anything else you change when you start daa? diet? training routine? more intensity in gym? if you do have crappy test levels say at 200 even if you get a 50% elevation your still at 300, but I don't think you are going to get an elevation in levels anywhere close to that.
        romangod -
        Should I start a new thread to get folks to talk a out DAA FOR PCT SUPPORT?
        kisaj -
        Probably. People aren't going to come into this thread to address that and you'll get more specific info.
        bakerwil -
        Originally Posted by j4ever41 View Post

no disrespect as this is my opinion, but I would say placebo effect, is there anything else you change when you start daa? diet? training routine? more intensity in gym? if you do have crappy test levels say at 200 even if you get a 50% elevation your still at 300, but I don't think you are going to get an elevation in levels anywhere close to that.
        Well I am 46. I cycle daa and ara throughout the year and really notice the daa kick in.....no other changes in supplementation. I am on a daa cycle at the...started 2 weeks ago and even though I have been told its placebo....strenghth and hunger and agression changes are very up and very noticable. as is libido until I introduce erase at 4 weeks. I guess I must have low test levels. Never thought I did. Without any supplemention....I can still like I did at age 30. I don't get it...but ita working for me.
        Matthersby -
        This thread is hard for everyone to swallow. I will include it in PCT regardless of any study. Its 10-20$ and still a staple for me... certainly helps more than nettle or trib.
        Bengal -
        I took dpol last year for 4 weeks. I did gain 1 lb a week. I did not notice any thing else good or bad
        6andaHalf -
        Originally Posted by Bengal View Post
        I took dpol last year for 4 weeks. I did gain 1 lb a week. I did not notice any thing else good or bad
        A pound a week can be looked at a lot of ways. I can't see pics or stats but that's normal for a bulk for someone who hasn't been training long. On the other hand, could be awesome for highly trained people with low bf.

Either way, something that supposedly raises test enough for LBM... it can be argued that no natural supp can actually produce LBM. Not saying I'm on either boat really. I feel the argument is valid as I get more and more experience though.
        cvinfamous -
        Here is something I found on the forums posted by De__eB

We've all seen the new study on D-AA and the subsequent bunch of anti-supplement bloggers talking about how it doesn't work.

What most people probably didn't notice is a key difference between the material used in the two studies that show it does work:

D-Aspartate, A key element for the Improvement of Sperm Quality
        The role and molecular mechanism of D-aspartic acid in the release and synthesis of LH and testosterone in humans and rats

And the one showing it does not:

D-Aspartic Acid supplementatoin combined with 28 days of heavy resistance training has no effect on body composition, muscle strength, and serum hormones associated with the hypothalamo-pituitary-gonadal axis in resistance trained men.

That difference being?

The studies in favor of DAA are using chelated Sodium DAA
        Baylor only used straight DAA for their study

Why does this matter?

Because D-AA on its own without a mineral chelate has horrible bioavailability.

A quick survey of the nutraplanet store shows the following awesome companies that are selling the right type of DAA:

SNS DAA
        E-Pharm TestForce
        AI Sports DAA
        Purus D-Pol

A few brands that are selling inferior DAA:

USPLabs DAA3K
        SS DAA
        NP Bulk DAA
        6andaHalf -
        Sounds like those companies should take Brink up on his offer!

I personally feel that they never would be dumb enough to. Even if it does raise test just slightly, would it equate to any noticeable lbm? I have serious doubts

Just an opinion here, I don't have access to a lab like Brink does.
        romangod -
        What about N-Methyl-D-Aspartic Acid (NMDA) versus DAA Chelated?
        j4ever41 -
        Originally Posted by 6andaHalf View Post
        Sounds like those companies should take Brink up on his offer!

I personally feel that they never would be dumb enough to. Even if it does raise test just slightly, would it equate to any noticeable lbm? I have serious doubts

Just an opinion here, I don't have access to a lab like Brink does.
        agreed

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.