DAA Doesn't Work - AnabolicMinds.com
    • DAA Doesn't Work

by Will Brink Brinkzone

In the video below, I discuss the popular “Testosterone booster” supplement D-Aspartic Acid (DAA) and update my opinions of this general category of supplements.

Study mentioned in the vid:

D-Aspartic acid supplementation combined with 28 days of heavy resistance training has no effect on body composition, muscle strength, and serum hormones associated with the hypothalamo-pituitary-gonadal axis in resistance-trained men

Department of Health, Exercise and Biochemical Nutrition Lab, Human Performance, and Recreation, Baylor University, Waco, TX, USA

Abstract

It was hypothesized that d-aspartic acid (D-ASP) supplementation would not increase endogenous testosterone levels or improve muscular performance associated with resistance training. Therefore, body composition, muscle strength, and serum hormone levels associated with the hypothalamo-pituitary-gonadal axis were studied after 28 days of resistance training and D-ASP supplementation. Resistance-trained men resistance trained 4 times/wk for 28 days while orally ingesting either 3 g of placebo or 3 g of D-ASP.

Data were analyzed with 2 × 2 analysis of variance (P < .05). Before and after resistance training and supplementation, body composition and muscle strength, serum gonadal hormones, and serum D-ASP and d-aspartate oxidase (DDO) were determined. Body composition and muscle strength were significantly increased in both groups in response to resistance training (P < .05) but not different from one another (P > .05). Total and free testosterone, luteinizing hormone, gonadotropin-releasing hormone, and estradiol were unchanged with resistance training and D-ASP supplementation (P > .05).

For serum D-ASP and DDO, D-ASP resulted in a slight increase compared with baseline levels (P > .05). For the D-ASP group, the levels of serum DDO were significantly increased compared with placebo (P < .05). [B]The gonadal hormones were unaffected by 28 days of D-ASP supplementation and not associated with the observed increases in muscle strength and mass.

Therefore, at the dose provided, D-ASP supplementation is ineffective in up-regulating the activity of the hypothalamo-pituitary-gonadal axis and has no anabolic or ergogenic effects in skeletal muscle.

- See more at: http://www.brinkzone.com/supplement-....i1ChgFlo.dpuf
      Comments 53 Comments
        kisaj -
        Well, it should happen normally, just as you mention. I am 39 and even with test levels of 200 before going on TRT, I can't think of a single morning in my life that I haven't woke up with morning wood. DAA has nothing to do with it.
        6andaHalf -
        Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
        Well, it should happen normally, just as you mention. I am 39 and even with test levels of 200 before going on TRT, I can't think of a single morning in my life that I haven't woke up with morning wood. DAA has nothing to do with it.
        This. I have morning wood during the start of a PCT. Test levels VERY low I'm sure.

Originally Posted by romangod View Post
        Morning wood ain't libido, bro. It's nature at work. Does someone want to comment on why this happens with DAA?
        I can take trib and get stronger morning wood, bro. Trib going to raise your test?

Just saying, you shouldn't compare chubbies to test levels. Blood results are the only way.
        romangod -
        Originally Posted by 6andaHalf View Post
        This. I have morning wood during the start of a PCT. Test levels VERY low I'm sure.

I can take trib and get stronger morning wood, bro. Won't do sh*t for test levels. Not for me anyway... if anyone gets raised test from trib, speak now... but that boat sank a long time ago. Don't think you should compare chubbies to test levels. Compare blood results.
        Thanks guys. I had heard that for PCT DAA helped the HPTA balance get back on track. I only use it for a month coming off a short cycle.
        redhawk08 -
        Did not work for me either. Blood work showed no increase in t levels.
        6four250 -
        So this is going to be TMI for sure but the first night I took DAA a few years ago, I had a wet dream. It was the only one I have ever had. Notable also because I was 40 years old at the time. So I do believe it has some effect on t levels or at the very least some hormonal function.
        romangod -
        Originally Posted by 6four250 View Post
        So this is going to be TMI for sure but the first night I took DAA a few years ago, I had a wet dream. It was the only one I have ever had. Notable also because I was 40 years old at the time. So I do believe it has some effect on t levels or at the very least some hormonal function.
        Never to much information. Is there someone out there who can weigh in from an expert stand point, especially DAA's value in pct?
        bakerwil -
        Originally Posted by 6andaHalf View Post

I can take trib and get stronger morning wood, bro. Trib going to raise your test?

Just saying, you shouldn't compare chubbies to test levels. Blood results are the only way.
        If it does not raise test, why does DAA make me so strong every time I use it? Is it because I am 46?
        Seems to be the only product I have found where I can put on what amounts to a pound or two of solid muscle each run.
        kisaj -
        Originally Posted by bakerwil View Post
        If it does not raise test, why does DAA make me so strong every time I use it? Is it because I am 46?
        Seems to be the only product I have found where I can put on what amounts to a pound or two of solid muscle each run.
        High test doesn't equate to strength and even the amount that it would raise it is negligible anyway.
        bakerwil -
        High test doesn't equate to strength and even the amount that it would raise it is negligible anyway.
        So why do I take it and notice a huge strength increase?
        kisaj -
        I don't know- likely mental.
        JD261985 -
        Lol it's actually not normal to have morning wood every single day
        OnionKnight -
        Originally Posted by bakerwil View Post

So why do I take it and notice a huge strength increase?
        cuz youre gullible as f*k?

theres a whole lot of stoopid coming out because of this article
        romangod -
        Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
        Please offer facts when making a statement.
        Bengal -
        Crap I just ordered some t-x3. Fingers crossed. I hate waisting $
        kisaj -
        Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
        I won't get into a stupid conversation like this based on what you determine as normal. Secondly, I'd rather not be normal and have daily morning erections than not have them. "Hey doc, I have a big problem over here- I get erections and am horny in the mornings all the time.. what is wrong with me???" Now THAT is funny.
        kisaj -
        Originally Posted by Bengal View Post
        Crap I just ordered some t-x3. Fingers crossed. I hate waisting $
        Welcome to the supplement game. There isn't a single person on here that hasn't wasted money on supplements before. That is what you sign up for when you start venturing in.
        Matthersby -

I won't get into a stupid conversation like this based on what you determine as normal.
        Sadly, his comment was probably based on a locker room study of about 3 of his bros. They should really warn people that join this forum, ignorant broscientific pretend-facts will not be viewed as fact, even if you DO have 2 years of highschool weight-training classes under your belt....
        ricroc -
        I have read and want to say, this was based on a study, the DAA was more beneficial to men say in their mid-30's as opposed to guy's still in their 20's.

I used DAA last year, running the DAA+Erase protocol that's so prevalent and has some promise and success for those that respond to it. I knew it was working cause I felt quite empowered and had good strength and some mild, but lean gains.

And like kisaj said, some stuff you waste money on, but when you find something offers some benefit, it's a great feeling.
        6andaHalf -
        I wish I got strong from daa and erase...

Its no different than normal, everyday gains for me.

I did feel undoubted strength gains from tri/ ax. Could be me... but I went from benching a max set of 6 to 10 of that weight at the time. Crazy first time results? I may have to double check one day.... :D
        romangod -
        Is there an admin who can give some insight on DAA during PCT?