WE SQUAT -- Powered by MaxREPS -- INVADING THE NON-STIM CATEGORY!

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
800x600_Q&A_Banner.jpg

Best Formula. Best Price. More Reps. Sick Pump.

SQUATS - Either you do them, or you're wrong. We all know that.

But, within the game there are literally dozens of ways to squat.

High bar, low bar, front, overhead, etc.

We wanted to start a thread to discuss the in's and out's of the move - the pro's and con's. This should be a resource on why YOU squat the way you do, and why others squat the way they do.

We should share tips and methods, all aiming toward the same goal - growth of the community.

Combined, we probably have millenniums worth of information on this exercise, and now is the time to start spreading the love.

Now - what we've found is that guys like you are posting amazing reviews on our latest drop, MaxREPS. We want to show you what this bad boy can do, so we're offering it up in a FREE USPlabs Stack to random contributors.

I'll let our big homie, Colby take it from here - He will update you on when winners will be selected, and he will also include more information on how to win each round! -- I'll take round 1.

Squat Goals - WHY do you squat? What is your goal with including the move in your training?

13162228_10100589145006140_952116027_n.jpg

Post to win! Multiple posts mean multiple chances to win! - Winners selected 5/4/16! 18+, US Only. No purchase necessary.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
2016-05-02 14_17_14-Casey Bard (@borobulker) • Instagram photos and videos.png

(Skwattin in the garage gym)

Personally - I squat for a few reasons.

1. Because I can. I'm fortunate enough to be able to train a few times a week. Nothing holds me back besides excuses.

2. Because it's the right way. I believe that squatting is one of the fundamental movements we have as humans and I believe in trying to maximize me effectiveness in that movement.

Now, back squats are something I've been doing for over 10 years. I've had over 650 on my back in the past, but I'm still learning every single session.

I'm excited to get this thread rolling to learn from all of you savages...

BamBam0319

BamBam0319

Awards
In for the fun :) I've already won enough from USP lately, plus apparently got some shirts on the way courtesy of Mr. USPLabsRep... So I'll let some others have a chance at getting on this awesome pre. I'm loving it myself right now!

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I squat to improve my big 3 and get bigger legs for stepping on stage

I squat low bar because it's easier to sit back in hole and less stress on my forearms. I found this has been the easiest way to progress with progressive overload over the years . Recenelty just hit 405x5 at 175 pounds

My best tip is to flex your lats before you descend. This help keep your chest from caving forward and keeping your core right though out the exercise

You can't win a bodybuilding show without a big pair of legs

[video=youtube;3YG_QLCZDcQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YG_QLCZDcQ[/video]

a great resource for squatting:

[video=youtube;GtPN-ftmxG8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtPN-ftmxG8[/video]

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Digging those flags, big man!

Also -- beard game STRONG ;)

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Being an athlete aside from a bodybuilder I've always found squats to be the center piece to any good training program. I play hockey and soccer so I find squats to be an invaluable tool in creating strong, powerful legs.

Recently I've been working on weight and depth control so reps don't usually go above 8 unless I'm doing warm ups. Also due to an abnormal spine curvature I like to belt up once I go over my body weight on the bar.

Technique wise I use high bar on the traps, I try to sit back and deep by dropping the hips first and forcing the knees wide. Squeeze the butt at the bottom and drive up!

Recently hit a PR of 335x2. Depth wasn't perfect and I think I should have gone for 3 but I didn't really have a spotter so I'll take it!

https://youtu.be/Xco9nDgva5A

Colby.Strunk

Colby.Strunk

Awards
  • Established
Keep them coming! I will be replying shortly with my response. Can't wait to see whatever one has in store! If you have images and videos- post them up as well!

edzname

edzname

Awards
Squats help with my overall balance, posture, and body strength. I can't see developing an explosive core without them.
I prefer the high bar as I can lock in my back and keep my form nice and deep into lowering portion of the squat. And maximizes my leg drive when accelerating up. Not saying it is better but better for me.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Keep them coming! I will be replying shortly with my response. Can't wait to see whatever one has in store! If you have images and videos- post them up as well!
Great tips:
Spread the floor when you descend to prevent buckling your knees
drive through your heels
keep your chest firm to prevent folding forward
If you are feeling forearm pain swap out for a cambered bar or safety bar squat
Pause Squats will help fix a buttwink and explosion out of the hole.

** Rumble Rolling and stretching with Bands will help open up your IT bands, glutes, and hips to help with squatting **

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have a new found love for squats. I've had 4 knee surgeries and have avoided them since. Fast forward to the past year and I just went for it and started going for it. A few months ago I struggled to do 225 more than a few times. Fast forward to recently and I replied 225 ten times and had more in the tank. My knees have never felt better, I wish I would have manned up earlier. Goal now is to get 300 this year

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Squating is part of life I fell in love with heavy squats 30 years ago and have a lifetime best of 595lbs, now I train much lighter but a week of training would not be complete without a Squat day in there !!!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Curious to see if there is any love for split squats in here

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Being an athlete aside from a bodybuilder I've always found squats to be the center piece to any good training program. I play hockey and soccer so I find squats to be an invaluable tool in creating strong, powerful legs.

Recently I've been working on weight and depth control so reps don't usually go above 8 unless I'm doing warm ups. Also due to an abnormal spine curvature I like to belt up once I go over my body weight on the bar.

Technique wise I use high bar on the traps, I try to sit back and deep by dropping the hips first and forcing the knees wide. Squeeze the butt at the bottom and drive up!

Recently hit a PR of 335x2. Depth wasn't perfect and I think I should have gone for 3 but I didn't really have a spotter so I'll take it!

https://youtu.be/Xco9nDgva5A
it was pretty smooth. I try to engage the glutes throughout the movement. assuming good form/posture/pressure from the start and keeping it throughout the movement is the most difficult part.

Colby.Strunk

Colby.Strunk

Awards
  • Established
Squat Goals - WHY do you squat? What is your goal with including the move in your training?

I squat for a multitude of reasons:

1. As a Power lifter, it is the first of three events we are scored on in a Full Power Contest
2. As a National level Strongman competitor, the squat movement is utilized in practically every event
3. The squat is the primary movement to develop quads, hamstrings and core strength- it is also key to size, and muscle definition
4. The squat is the most basic human function, it's like learning to crawl! It is important for our day to day lives
5. SQUATTING IS LIFE!

My goals with squatting are quite simple: create the best competitive package that is Colby possible! Plus, who doesn't like downing a few scoops of MaxREPS, placing the weight of the world on your back, and sinking it- then rising back up? Squatting is the best metaphor of life!

IMG_6176.JPG

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

1) I squat regularly because sitting back and reaching the toilet will forever be a controlled decent for me. After a certain weight the whole plop thing can be a nightmare.

2) I was never a great squatter in HS and in college Lower Extremity injuries limited me greatly. I have so much vested in the squatting pattern inself that every so often I have to readjust my leverage and keep programming the squat.

3) Its a different Beast. You cant take time off it and come back 100%. To be really good at it you cant half ass it. It takes the human body, places it under immense stress, and you have to physically and emotionally own that movement to enjoy success.

My Squat goal was 500lbs and I reached that goal last August. Im extremely satisfied with it and only wish to maintain it and improve my control and depth with it.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
counts double..if you squat right, you need the calories after..
Come to think of it, with resident chef The Solution and some Modern Protein, methinks we can have some high-protein banana splits post-squat! ;)

:food:

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I squat for a multitude of reasons:

1. As a Power lifter, it is the first of three events we are scored on in a Full Power Contest
2. As a National level Strongman competitor, the squat movement is utilized in practically every event
3. The squat is the primary movement to develop quads, hamstrings and core strength, size, and definition
4. The squat is the most basic human function, it's like learning to crawl! It is important for our day to do lives
5. SQUATTING IS LIFE!

My goals with squatting are quite simple: create the best competitive package that is Colby possible! Plus, who doesn't like downing a few scoops of MaxREPS, placing the weight of the world on your back, and sinking it- then rising back up? Squatting is the best metaphor of life!

View attachment 135063
Only 1 scoop of MaxReps needed....2 would be counter productive.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I squat because I need to. As with most things in life, those that are most worthwhile are often the most difficult or demanding. Squatting in itself isn't difficult -- but squatting properly and with enough weight on the bar or enough reps to create hypertrophy can be (and generally is). Any joe can walk in, load the bar and quarter-rep his way to some high-fives. Beating your own ego is the first wall you have to knock down. The term "heavy" is subjective; it's relative. Heavy to you and heavy to me can mean two entirely different things. And you know what? It doesn't matter what I think about you or you about me -- only about what makes you better; what makes me better.

It is so easy to fall into the trap of chasing numbers (weight on the bar or reps after that "x" in your notebook). But ultimately, your body knows the real score. You can lie to yourself all you want, but your muscles are the polygraph. You can post photos to IG, have thousands of followers, post motivational quotes, and anything else you want to -- but your quads, hamstrings, calves, glutes, and core know what's up. "Bro, I've seen you posting all those photos of you with 5 plates on each side of the bar, but it doesn't look like you've grown in the last 12 months." And it doesn't matter what they think; unless that's all you make it about.

I have a hip imbalance that manifested itself back in 2011. I don't know for sure, as I only realized it later, but I'm pretty certain it was caused from blowing out a hamstring in the Summer of 2010 -- of all things, during a game of slow pitch softball. I heard it pop and felt it roll up like a rubber band. Luckily, it just required time off and non surgery, but my strength never came back after that. Even today, my numbers still don't touch what I was able to do before that. And that was hard for me to face. I didn't do everything for those numbers, but they definitely played their role. It wasn't easy going back down to nothing and starting from scratch. The hardest part for me was probably just that of all things, it negatively impacted the 3 big lifts more than anything else. Somehow a hamstring injury screwed up my bench press -- it was inconceivable. But as I've gotten older (and at least a little bit wiser), I realized everything is connected. The way that hamstring healed (I can reach down there and feel the difference when I'm doing leg curls), it led to that hip imbalance and my left shoulder being slightly rolled forward -- thus, un-evening my base for pressing motions (most notable on bench, but also overhead). The same issue results in a more difficult time doing deadlifts, shrugs, barbell rows and rack pulls because I have to focus on keeping that left rear delt pulled back as much as I can and there's only so much I can do past a certain weight (e.g. light hypertrophy work is much easier for me to hold it where it needs to be, whereas with a max weight or a 4-6 rep range, it's near impossible for me to keep that pulled back through the duration of the exercise).

So I went back to the beginning. I started squatting on a Smith machine with 25's on either side. Same thing for bench. Nearly the same thing for deads. I've been able to build my strength back up from that. It's still not what it was. Whether it's respectable or not is really neither here nor there as numbers are simply that. But regardless of the band work and everything else I do, because of how that left hamstring healed, my left quad pulls closer to my core when I squat. I try my best to realign my hips to distribute the weight more evenly, but it's still not 100% even.

Thus, I do a whole lot more isolation work on each leg now. And variations of split squats are now I guess what you'd call my favorites. I mean, I hate them in comparison to traditional squats with the bar on my back and as much weight as I can handle, but they do the job they're supposed to do. I have to beat my own ego to chase my goals. Number one for me is presentation. I grew up chubby, leaned out in grad school, and then ended up with pituitary issues that pushed me from 200 lbs. with a 6 pack to 300 lbs. and not wanting to leave my home. I still lifted that entire time; I even played safety (lol) in my flag football league at 280 lbs., but it was primarily fat. I still don't have a true answer from the doctors other than by the grace of God everything fell back into place as I had continued to work hard and eat right; and one day the scale just finally tipped the right direction. So, I try my best to take care of my body and want the best while not falling into a trap of pure vanity, but in all honesty, my main purpose outside of the incredible endorphin release I get from training that keeps me centered, is to bring the best visual presence I can. I'd still like to compete at least once. Next goal would be performance. I played baseball through my freshman year of college and then picked up basketball about 2 years after that as a way to do cardio. Now it's a nice way to continue that cardio, but also get a competitive release that otherwise builds up and spills out during boardgames and other times you wouldn't want it to lol. So, variations of squatting and box jumps that focus on explosive movement are fun for me. Again, I generally hate doing them, but I love the outcome. I never could dunk, but I could grab the rim in college. I just dropped back to 219 yesterday morning, which is the lowest weight I've been since at least 2012 (possibly 2011) and I'm hoping as I lean up the rest of the way that I may be able to dunk. Not an easy feat, but I already turned 30 and it would be pretty cool to say I was able to do that afterward.

But my best advice to everyone else is to listen to your body. Don't get hung up on those numbers, what other people tell you to do, etc. You can try TONS of different stuff and I encourage you to do that. But don't be afraid to take the road less traveled if you realize that's what your body actually responds best to. I had a friend this morning at the gym compliment me on slimming down, but he warned me not to do too much cardio because it would eat my muscle. He was being sincere and had my best interest in mind -- but I know now that my body responds very well to this new style of training. And despite dropping 20 lbs., I've managed to maintain strength or gain it in every area. So don't be afraid to be wrong and don't be afraid to do something not everyone else is.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I started to squat because my friend gave me an easy argument for it, he told me it would add 10lbs of free weight to my frame. When I started I didn't train legs or squat because I always had big legs from soccer and BMX. But after hearing I could gain 10lbs quickly I went for it, gained the weight and never looked back.

Tips:

I've found out that stance isn't always the same for everyone. For a long time I went with the typical shoulder width stance but through trial and error found out a more narrow stance works better for me, I can get deeper in the squat and can feel each muscle in the legs fire as I go through the motion. So play with the stances a bit and find out what is more comfortable for you.

I see a lot of people make the mistake of unracking the weight with one leg in front of the other. Get in a stance before you unrack the weight as if you were going to squat it right from the rack. Unracking with it offset legs will put too much stress on one leg as you get into heavy weight and could affect balance when you need to recenter yourself. If your already centered before you unrack then your setting yourself up for better form on the motion.

Another thing I see too many people do that they shouldn't is unracking the weight and walking back too far from the rack. I recommend that you get in position to squat while it's racked and then once you unrack the weight to move the smallest distance possible so you can clear the rack. This allows you to stay in proper position but also doesn't waste energy walking backwards with heavy weight on your back. If you move backwards to far, chances are you then need to recenter your stance which forces you to drop your head and elimates the shelf you've built with your back to balance the bar.

Last but not least, try different forms of squats. Weather it be a normal back squat, a front squat, goblet squat, or even using different bars like a safety squat bar. I keep the back squat in my arsenal at all times but like to play with other squats since they are a slightly different and beneficial in their own way.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Squat is one of the most fundamental movements, but in my experience stimulates the most growth both in the legs, but even more so systemically. The metabolic response from squats is greater than any other movement ive done, with deadliftat a close second.

My personal goal for the month is a 405 x 12 and a 315 x 20. I am recovering from a leg injury and havent been able to squat for almost two month. Ready to digin. Get leaner, bigger and stronger.

Ragnavok

Awards
I squat because it just feels so good. I love having weight try to crush me down. My best squat in competition is 804 lbs at 308 drug tested. In the gym I have hit 850 and been on the quest for 900. I feel that training the legs in the squat helps to increase my overall aggressiveness against the weights and in the gym. There is just something invigorating about having a heavy weight on your back and realizing you are not made of glass. As a competitive strongman, I find that doing heavy squats helps to condition the CNS to absorb impact and move with heavy weight with out going unconscious. So squatting heavy has carryover into all of your training as it helps your body be able to move heavier weight in all your lifts. Also, your body is a system and your growth will not be able to reach maximum potential if you never train legs. What i mean is your upper body will stop growing and making gains if you do not train your lower body as well. So to reach maximum potential, strengthen your entire body, and condition your CNS, squat heavy and squat often.

Colby.Strunk

Colby.Strunk

Awards
  • Established
Squat is one of the most fundamental movements, but in my experience stimulates the most growth both in the legs, but even more so systemically. The metabolic response from squats is greater than any other movement ive done, with deadliftat a close second.

My personal goal for the month is a 405 x 12 and a 315 x 20. I am recovering from a leg injury and havent been able to squat for almost two month. Ready to digin. Get leaner, bigger and stronger.
Great goals!

Colby.Strunk

Colby.Strunk

Awards
  • Established
I squat because it just feels so good. I love having weight try to crush me down. My best squat in competition is 804 lbs at 308 drug tested. In the gym I have hit 850 and been on the quest for 900. I feel that training the legs in the squat helps to increase my overall aggressiveness against the weights and in the gym. There is just something invigorating about having a heavy weight on your back and realizing you are not made of glass. As a competitive strongman, I find that doing heavy squats helps to condition the CNS to absorb impact and move with heavy weight with out going unconscious. So squatting heavy has carryover into all of your training as it helps your body be able to move heavier weight in all your lifts. Also, your body is a system and your growth will not be able to reach maximum potential if you never train legs. What i mean is your upper body will stop growing and making gains if you do not train your lower body as well. So to reach maximum potential, strengthen your entire body, and condition your CNS, squat heavy and squat often.
I saw that squat live, great accomplishment! Keep it up!

Thanks for your insight!

Colby.Strunk

Colby.Strunk

Awards
  • Established
I squat because I need to. As with most things in life, those that are most worthwhile are often the most difficult or demanding. Squatting in itself isn't difficult -- but squatting properly and with enough weight on the bar or enough reps to create hypertrophy can be (and generally is). Any joe can walk in, load the bar and quarter-rep his way to some high-fives. Beating your own ego is the first wall you have to knock down. The term "heavy" is subjective; it's relative. Heavy to you and heavy to me can mean two entirely different things. And you know what? It doesn't matter what I think about you or you about me -- only about what makes you better; what makes me better.

It is so easy to fall into the trap of chasing numbers (weight on the bar or reps after that "x" in your notebook). But ultimately, your body knows the real score. You can lie to yourself all you want, but your muscles are the polygraph. You can post photos to IG, have thousands of followers, post motivational quotes, and anything else you want to -- but your quads, hamstrings, calves, glutes, and core know what's up. "Bro, I've seen you posting all those photos of you with 5 plates on each side of the bar, but it doesn't look like you've grown in the last 12 months." And it doesn't matter what they think; unless that's all you make it about.

I have a hip imbalance that manifested itself back in 2011. I don't know for sure, as I only realized it later, but I'm pretty certain it was caused from blowing out a hamstring in the Summer of 2010 -- of all things, during a game of slow pitch softball. I heard it pop and felt it roll up like a rubber band. Luckily, it just required time off and non surgery, but my strength never came back after that. Even today, my numbers still don't touch what I was able to do before that. And that was hard for me to face. I didn't do everything for those numbers, but they definitely played their role. It wasn't easy going back down to nothing and starting from scratch. The hardest part for me was probably just that of all things, it negatively impacted the 3 big lifts more than anything else. Somehow a hamstring injury screwed up my bench press -- it was inconceivable. But as I've gotten older (and at least a little bit wiser), I realized everything is connected. The way that hamstring healed (I can reach down there and feel the difference when I'm doing leg curls), it led to that hip imbalance and my left shoulder being slightly rolled forward -- thus, un-evening my base for pressing motions (most notable on bench, but also overhead). The same issue results in a more difficult time doing deadlifts, shrugs, barbell rows and rack pulls because I have to focus on keeping that left rear delt pulled back as much as I can and there's only so much I can do past a certain weight (e.g. light hypertrophy work is much easier for me to hold it where it needs to be, whereas with a max weight or a 4-6 rep range, it's near impossible for me to keep that pulled back through the duration of the exercise).

So I went back to the beginning. I started squatting on a Smith machine with 25's on either side. Same thing for bench. Nearly the same thing for deads. I've been able to build my strength back up from that. It's still not what it was. Whether it's respectable or not is really neither here nor there as numbers are simply that. But regardless of the band work and everything else I do, because of how that left hamstring healed, my left quad pulls closer to my core when I squat. I try my best to realign my hips to distribute the weight more evenly, but it's still not 100% even.

Thus, I do a whole lot more isolation work on each leg now. And variations of split squats are now I guess what you'd call my favorites. I mean, I hate them in comparison to traditional squats with the bar on my back and as much weight as I can handle, but they do the job they're supposed to do. I have to beat my own ego to chase my goals. Number one for me is presentation. I grew up chubby, leaned out in grad school, and then ended up with pituitary issues that pushed me from 200 lbs. with a 6 pack to 300 lbs. and not wanting to leave my home. I still lifted that entire time; I even played safety (lol) in my flag football league at 280 lbs., but it was primarily fat. I still don't have a true answer from the doctors other than by the grace of God everything fell back into place as I had continued to work hard and eat right; and one day the scale just finally tipped the right direction. So, I try my best to take care of my body and want the best while not falling into a trap of pure vanity, but in all honesty, my main purpose outside of the incredible endorphin release I get from training that keeps me centered, is to bring the best visual presence I can. I'd still like to compete at least once. Next goal would be performance. I played baseball through my freshman year of college and then picked up basketball about 2 years after that as a way to do cardio. Now it's a nice way to continue that cardio, but also get a competitive release that otherwise builds up and spills out during boardgames and other times you wouldn't want it to lol. So, variations of squatting and box jumps that focus on explosive movement are fun for me. Again, I generally hate doing them, but I love the outcome. I never could dunk, but I could grab the rim in college. I just dropped back to 219 yesterday morning, which is the lowest weight I've been since at least 2012 (possibly 2011) and I'm hoping as I lean up the rest of the way that I may be able to dunk. Not an easy feat, but I already turned 30 and it would be pretty cool to say I was able to do that afterward.

But my best advice to everyone else is to listen to your body. Don't get hung up on those numbers, what other people tell you to do, etc. You can try TONS of different stuff and I encourage you to do that. But don't be afraid to take the road less traveled if you realize that's what your body actually responds best to. I had a friend this morning at the gym compliment me on slimming down, but he warned me not to do too much cardio because it would eat my muscle. He was being sincere and had my best interest in mind -- but I know now that my body responds very well to this new style of training. And despite dropping 20 lbs., I've managed to maintain strength or gain it in every area. So don't be afraid to be wrong and don't be afraid to do something not everyone else is.
Love your last paragraph, thanks for sharing your story!

Tank999

Tank999

Awards
  • Established
I squat because I love to! I love the power feeling during, the great feeling of giving it all when you're done. And of course at the end of day nothing kicks your cns into overdrive like squats. Back in the usplabs forum days I ran a log of a 12 week cycle doing some type of squats 5 days a week - I got considerably stronger in all my lifts. Check out people doing a Smolov every 18-24 months...they get immensely stronger. Check out john mccallum on squats or the famous super squats program or anderson on squats....
Squats iz king!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Some great post in here!

Zman68

Zman68

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is a pretty cool thread, definitely going to jump in on the fun.

1. I squat because it makes me feel alive. I don't know about you but nothing feels better than smashing some heavy squats.
2. I am personally a low bar squatter, but I like to train high bar as I feel its important to be able to do both well. My goal is to get to 700lbs by the end of the year. I am coming off an injury that sidelined my training for a couple months, however it hasn't slowed me down too much. I made a makeshift safety squat bar that allowed me to keep going to an extent. Pre-injury I smoked 635 and think when I get back to squatting regularly it should all come back pretty quickly.

Best advice I ever got was pull the bar hard into your body to create greater tightness, as well as learning how to get the most out of using a belt to create greater pressure/tightness.

Colby.Strunk

Colby.Strunk

Awards
  • Established
I squat because I love to! I love the power feeling during, the great feeling of giving it all when you're done. And of course at the end of day nothing kicks your cns into overdrive like squats. Back in the usplabs forum days I ran a log of a 12 week cycle doing some type of squats 5 days a week - I got considerably stronger in all my lifts. Check out people doing a Smolov every 18-24 months...they get immensely stronger. Check out john mccallum on squats or the famous super squats program or anderson on squats....
Squats iz king!
Speaking of squats...I hit some last night. Good times. Right about kicking your CNS into gear!

Colby.Strunk

Colby.Strunk

Awards
  • Established
This is a pretty cool thread, definitely going to jump in on the fun.

1. I squat because it makes me feel alive. I don't know about you but nothing feels better than smashing some heavy squats.
2. I am personally a low bar squatter, but I like to train high bar as I feel its important to be able to do both well. My goal is to get to 700lbs by the end of the year. I am coming off an injury that sidelined my training for a couple months, however it hasn't slowed me down too much. I made a makeshift safety squat bar that allowed me to keep going to an extent. Pre-injury I smoked 635 and think when I get back to squatting regularly it should all come back pretty quickly.

Best advice I ever got was pull the bar hard into your body to create greater tightness, as well as learning how to get the most out of using a belt to create greater pressure/tightness.
STRONG!

All about inner abdominal pressurization!

Pec.Major

Awards
  • Established
Can a international AM member squat in on this?

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Are there really people out there that don't squat ??

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Up at 4:30
Max Reps Down at 5
Its Friday... Time to squat, not watch all the bro's train arms.
Give me the squat Rack!

Great Tips I read from Elite FTS:
Putting the bar lower on your upper-back engages your posterior chain more and allows you Squat more weight you can lift.
Lock the bar in position so it doesn’t move while you Squat. Keeping your back tight will also keep pressure from your wrists.
Don’t Squat by just bending through your knees, letting them travel all the way forward. Engage your stronger posterior chain muscle by sitting back on the way down.
You have to Squat every single set, including your warm-up sets, like you Squat your work sets
Practice the same squat set like you were squatting your topset. Get into a good rythm

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Max Reps Down at 5
Give me the squat Rack!

Putting the bar lower on your upper-back engages your posterior chain more and allows you Squat more weight you can lift.
Lock the bar in position so it doesn’t move while you Squat. Keeping your back tight will also keep pressure from your wrists.
Don’t Squat by just bending through your knees, letting them travel all the way forward. Engage your stronger posterior chain muscle by sitting back on the way down.
You have to Squat every single set, including your warm-up sets, like you Squat your work sets
Practice the same squat set like you were squatting your topset. Get into a good rythm
Good Tips !!

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
Max Reps Down at 5
Give me the squat Rack!

And for Godsake, get that ass low. I see people (usually young buck wannabe alphas) doing the weight we do and quarter squatting the hell out of it. Makes me want to kick em in the gooch!

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
And for Godsake, get that ass low. I see people (usually young buck wannabe alphas) doing the weight we do and quarter squatting the hell out of it. Makes me want to kick em in the gooch!
had to wait 15 minutes this morning for 2 dudes curling in the power rack on the right side at REAL today.
Other rack was taken by people actually squatting.

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
had to wait 15 minutes this morning for 2 dudes curling in the power rack on the right side at REAL today.
Bob, you ain't shy bro, why didn't you kick em out?! Lol

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Seriously?

I know we make jokes about this stuff, but if I had to squat, dead, etc. and saw that, I would go and ask them if I could use it for squatting lol.

Only time I've ever used a cage/rack for curls is back when I would do heavy barbell curls with more than a plate on either side of the fullsize barbell (because anywhere else would have it teeter and fall off). But even then, I only ever did that during non-peak hours when I was one of just a few people in there. Otherwise I'd move a barbell over to the floor out of the way.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Another advantage to training at home...I can curl in the squat rack.......... winning !!

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Another advantage to training at home...I can curl in the squat rack.......... winning !!
I always dreamed of having my own home gym one day -- not just in a small room, but like a detached garage with all the equipment I'd ever want. But as I've gotten older, I like going to the gym for it. I think that's two-fold, though. I have a really, really awesome gym with great equipment and incredible ownership. And we don't have any kids yet -- so it's very easy for me to get away when I need to. So I'll update if/when that changes lol.

I was always hopeful that I could basically have a private gym and just offer membership to a small number of friends. Have a keycode access and have it on my property. Only charge just enough to cover some initial costs, but moreso the electricity and stuff that would be used there (which would be minimal). I could never do a full-fledged gym for profit because I'd get too angry at people and want to kick them out for being disrespectful lol. I'm a crotchety old man.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Bob, you ain't shy bro, why didn't you kick em out?! Lol
Joe and Amanda were in one squat rack (go figure right) and actually squatting.
The other dude, never seen him before. Hate to be a jackass, but i decided to warmup and do some pre-exhaust leg curls and leg press before moving into paused cambered bar squats.

Seriously?

I know we make jokes about this stuff, but if I had to squat, dead, etc. and saw that, I would go and ask them if I could use it for squatting lol.
blows my mind.

Tank999

Tank999

Awards
  • Established
We have 3 squat racks but at any given time you can have folks doing bar curls or even stretches in all 3- but as I've been repeatedly told by the management, anybody can use anything for whatever they want....even to relax on while texting....

Tank999

Tank999

Awards
  • Established
Btw, I've been reading the squat posts here, and you guys have gotten into my head. I had a very solid squat session today plus various other leg torture.
Cheers

Weak

Awards
I squat because I heard somewhere that quad sweeps are the new biceps. Realistically though I squat because I want to out total anyone I meet, and the only way to do that is continually get stronger and bigger. Right now I am 18 weeks out from a meet so I have been on GVT for 6 weeks, 2 more weeks before I can go back to normal life.

blueline438

blueline438

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I squat because I love it. I feel strongest on my leg days. i love standing under the bar with 400lbs on my back and busting out reps. I feel strong and like a beast.
I've always been a high bar squatter. Never learned there was a high and low til I joined here. I'm at 415ish on my squats and I was hoping for 475 by the end of the year.
I broke my right hand recently and need to surgery to repair tendons and what not. So I'm out for a while. But after surgery I'm going in for leg days. Three days a week. I can't squat heavy but I'll be sure to rep out every time!
I know when I'm back in the gym for real it'll be squats every day for a couple months.