Getting into the Christmas spirit with PHW

Burnfire

Burnfire

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
During the holidays our lives get stressful and filled with far to many things needing to be done before Christmas. But despite it all being in the spirit of the Christmas gives you a feeling none other can match. Here at PHW we'd like to say Merry Christmas by giving you a chance to show your holiday spirit. This is what I'm looking for:

Selfless acts of kindness around the holidays, how do you spread the holiday spirit?

There will be 2 winners picked at random. I want everyone to be honest here and don't make story's to beat others. The winners can pick any 1 product from the site!! I'll pick the winners at the end of the month to give y'all time to spread some love!

Thank y'all and I'm excited to see the work that the AM community can get done! I believe in you guys and gals and wish y'all a Merry Christmas!

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Great idea! I'm obviously not entering but will kick it off. My family and I went to the angel tree over the weekend and bought presents for a kid who otherwise wouldn't be getting any presents. Weve done it for awhile but took my two year old to start the tradition with her. She loved picking out presents for her "Angel"

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Great promo idea, thumbs up from this guy.

Right now my gf and I are picking up no longer used items of every kind, from everywhere in the city. Also xmas gifts or other donations.
Flyers at our workplaces, online ads, paper ad, word of mouth from friends/family.

A lot of people have donations but either don't know where best to bring it, don't want to sort things, or don't have a vehicle to make the trips.

Insert my driving services and my gf's social work connections we are trying to make this holiday season a good one in town.

So far we've got tons. Sorting is under way and soon we'll be bringing boxes to the donation centres best suited

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great promo, guys -- very nice!

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
I check in on elderly neighbors and make a point to spend some time with them as most are alone.

Also gives me an opportunity to see if there is anything they need help with.

Simple things like changing a light bulb can be a challenge for them.

For example, one elderly widowed lady I befriended did not have the strength to open her bottled water for her meds.

So I drop by and open her water, shovel the drive, sit and chat, etc.

M

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
One quick story, donate food and drive meals to shut ins on Thanksgiving. Last delivery house(lady just went to hospital day before) was empty and could not let the meal go to waste, drove around for 30 minutes trying to find a homeless person. Did and looked to make his day. End of the story had my 3 boys with me hoping to show and teach them to give back to less fortunate. Could go on with many other situations like most of the members on here.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The elementary school in the city I went to undergrad is very underfunded. The bathrooms aren't even on campus, the children have to walk outside to another shed-like building. The text books and library and such is very outdated. The high school has iPads and a new football practice facility. The elementary school has rats. Quite fair, ya know? There was a bond proposition to update the elementary school but the city voted against it because they found it, unnecessary. Sometimes, I truly the mindset of people in Texas.

Anyway, my girlfriend and I are currently doing a book drive for the elementary school. We've been able to collect about 40-50 books for kids, ranging from Dr. Seuss to Harry Potter and are going to donate them to the children before school is out for the holidays. We also have a state supported school (for the mentally incapable) and we are donating toys to them. Sadly, a lot of the patients are like dogs left at a shelter. Just abandoned with no visitors. It's inhumane how someone could drop their child/brother/friend off at a foreign place and never come visit them.
A few years back, I donated a remote control fire truck to a man older than I, I'd say he was probably 40-50. Whenever he heard the sounds and saw the lights flash on the truck I've never seen such joy expressed on any face. It's crazy to think that such a small thing could make such a difference in someone's live. Personally, if someone got me a remote control fire truck I'd be like '..uh????' But he was so thankful and appreciative. He played with it for hours before I left. Hopefully we can make someone's day again.

ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1449090778.101441.jpg

This is the elementary school when it rains. Children have to walk through this to get to bathrooms. I can't afford to renovate the school, but I damn sure think every child should have access to books.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sorry for any typos. Wrote my essay on my phone

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As you may or may not know, I had a heart transplant in August 2012. I was in the hospital waiting for only 4 weeks. To some, that may seem like a long time to be in a hospital and about a week more for recovery. However, that is an extremely short time for a transplant. When I was in the hospital, I would sometimes be in a down mood when I did not have any friends or family there. Once in a while, a hospital "volunteer" would come and talk to me. These people did not only help the void of just alone in a tiny room by myself, but some of them had a transplant as well. Those individuals would help by giving me advice for the surgery, post surgery and life after.

I try to go to the hospital one Saturday a month. Specifically to ICU, where transplant patients wait, and also to the recovery area. I always go Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I make it a point to go on those days because I think it brings some cheer and hope to those that are waiting. Also, some of these people do not have family that live close and I can only imagine how it must feel to not only spend a holiday like that alone, but in the hospital, waiting for a vital organ. It is nice to go up there and bring some baked goods for those patients and the nurses that took care of me. I enjoy sitting down with those waiting for their heart and will continue this holiday tradition as long as I possibly can.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I take food to my grandparents sometimes before I go into work. My grandma is ill and they can only do so much cooking themselves, so it's nice to know they can take a break.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
everyone supports our veterans-right...WRONG!!!

WHEN MY FATHER IN-law was still alive I used to take him for appointments at the VA in indy[he was a double amputee due to frostbite from Korean war-both legs]. I was always surprised at how many vets I saw there who had no one who visited or seemed to care-particularly around the holidays. I used to visit with some of these vets and listen to their stories. you would be surprised how good it made them feel just to have someone to talk to-but to be honest it made me feel just as good!!!

it has been 3 years now since art passed...I still go to indy VA for appointments for myself on occasion, but usually I am in a rush and get in and out as fast as I can. I need to dedicate some time for these guys, and I encourage anyone thinking to do something good this time of year to think of our veterans!!!!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Some great stories in here already! It's always amazing to see what a bunch of meatheads can do for others ;)

muskate

muskate

Awards
I started mentoring two very over weight elementary school students so I spent the afternoon with them. It's a really sad situation. Their parents are in the middle of a very messy divorce and their older brother was just killed in a car accident. They are dealing with a lot of hurt right now.

BamBam0319

BamBam0319

Awards
I volunteer at a gymnastics gym for mentally, physically, and socially impaired kids. We basically spend time with them one-on-one for two hours every Sunday doing fun stuff in the gym and getting them to learn things and cooperate with us. The kids really appreciate having people who want to spend time with them and run around, and the parents are grateful to have a little time to relax and let the kids run down some of their energy.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Man you guys are making me feel inferior.

Our act of kindness is that our family pools together anywhere from $200 - $1k to gift to either a family member, friend, or friend of a friend who may be going through hardship. It's become an annual tradition, and it's quite nice to be a part of and see the reactions when we surprise whoever it may be for each year.

We do the standard buy a present/tree type stuff as well as funding christmas for random local families through local orgs.

packers6211

packers6211

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sometimes it's not the big things but even the smallest. I don't like to see people that stand around begging for money only because you don't know if they are scamming, but sometimes you just have that feeling to help someone that your better self says to no matter what. I haven't even bought a single gift for my kids this year as it's been a rough one. I saw a homeless vet the other day barley being able to walk and it was very cold. He was walking from a gas station looked to be in his late 50's. I stopped and handed him some money and told him I hope he would have a great Thanksgiving. His smile was all I needed. If people did more lil things it would add up.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Sometimes it's not the big things but even the smallest. I don't like to see people that stand around begging for money only because you don't know if they are scamming, but sometimes you just have that feeling to help someone that your better self says to no matter what. I haven't even bought a single gift for my kids this year as it's been a rough one. I saw a homeless vet the other day barley being able to walk and it was very cold. He was walking from a gas station looked to be in his late 50's. I stopped and handed him some money and told him I hope he would have a great Thanksgiving. His smile was all I needed. If people did more lil things it would add up.
sometimes when I give money to homeless guys people will tell me 'he will just buy drugs or alcohol with that money'. it doesn't matter, they always seem very happy to get it and it makes me feel good to give it!!!

besides, if you ever talk to homeless people you will find that a good many of them are veterans, and statistics backs this up!!!

keep on giving packers6211 it is good for the soul!!!!

Beltzie5

Beltzie5

Awards
  • Established
Great things going on here guys !!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Great entries so far.
Absolutely! I can't wait to see what else others will come up with as we get deeper into the holiday spirit.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
sometimes when I give money to homeless guys people will tell me 'he will just buy drugs or alcohol with that money'. it doesn't matter, they always seem very happy to get it and it makes me feel good to give it!!!

besides, if you ever talk to homeless people you will find that a good many of them are veterans, and statistics backs this up!!!

keep on giving packers6211 it is good for the soul!!!!
We have a subway in the law school building and every Friday they throw away all the food (closed for weekends). One of the workers was giving away a lot of the food to homeless people that were real bad strung out or whatever. They're people. Probably made a few bad decisions and lost control. I doubt in grade school when they were asked what they wanted to be when they grew up anyone replied "a homeless drug addict." He was almost fired bc it's a liability issue - which I get, but I also get his point. At least that way these people had food and ate.

Some people pretend to be super generous and kind hearted but the way the treat those that are truly down is mind boggling.

unreal89

unreal89

Awards
Me and my wife were at Wal-mart the other day waiting in line forever.. when this old lady infront of us had forgotten her wallet. They started to put back her groceries and she had the most embaressed look on her face so we ended up paying for the grocieries. She was really happy and gave us a hug and said God Bless and we knew what its like to not have money or have to put stuff back. Helping someone out is the best feeling in the world and thats how i spread my christmas spirit.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Me and my wife were at Wal-mart the other day waiting in line forever.. when this old lady infront of us had forgotten her wallet. They started to put back her groceries and she had the most embaressed look on her face so we ended up paying for the grocieries. She was really happy and gave us a hug and said God Bless and we knew what its like to not have money or have to put stuff back. Helping someone out is the best feeling in the world and thats how i spread my christmas spirit.
very charitable act of kindness...BUT.... elderly lady sounds so much more respectful!!!

Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Wow there are some really great entries in here so far, I'm proud of everyone! Let's bump this and hear some more stories :)

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
We have a subway in the law school building and every Friday they throw away all the food (closed for weekends). One of the workers was giving away a lot of the food to homeless people that were real bad strung out or whatever. They're people. Probably made a few bad decisions and lost control. I doubt in grade school when they were asked what they wanted to be when they grew up anyone replied "a homeless drug addict." He was almost fired bc it's a liability issue - which I get, but I also get his point. At least that way these people had food and ate.

Some people pretend to be super generous and kind hearted but the way the treat those that are truly down is mind boggling.
American capitalism permits a lot of unethical and even despicable acts while remaining legal and very profitable. many of those who look at the homeless with disdain should invest in a mirror. charitable acts done for tax deductions and names on buildings are not charity, imo.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
http://thechive.com/2015/12/09/orphaned-burn-victim-loses-family-in-arson-attack-all-she-wants-for-christmas-are-cards-4-photos/?utm_********facebook&************post&utm_**********cards12915&_branch_match_id=158400240762783942&_branch_match_id=158400240762783942

Not sure if this link is against the rules, but if it is perhaps there can be an exception.

If anyone is looking for something to do, this won't cost you anything but a Christmas card and a stamp.
Nice. I saw articles on various news sites, but did not see an address.

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
Wow, I had no idea that there were so many loving and generous folks here. I thought most of you all were dickheads.

I donate my time at Children's Hospital. Childrens hospital has MANY volunteer opportunity, 1 of them is to volunteer your time to simply play with the kids. There are lots of kids with parents/love ones that can not stay with them during the day (for example they have to work). Those kids gets bored and lonely. Laughter is perhaps the best medicine to a terminal ill kid. I have 4 kids that I see regularly. Its rewarding, but also breaks my heart when they leave.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Wow, I had no idea that there were so many loving and generous folks here. I thought most of you all were dickheads.

I donate my time at Children's Hospital. Childrens hospital has MANY volunteer opportunity, 1 of them is to volunteer your time to simply play with the kids. There are lots of kids with parents/love ones that can not stay with them during the day (for example they have to work). Those kids gets bored and lonely. Laughter is perhaps the best medicine to a terminal ill kid. I have 4 kids that I see regularly. Its rewarding, but also breaks my heart when they leave.
what kind of screening process is involved?...in this day and age I can't imagine them just letting men walk in off the street to play with kids!!!

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
what kind of screening process is involved?...in this day and age I can't imagine them just letting men walk in off the street to play with kids!!!
I had to apply and go thru interview process. Its not as easy as simply applying. It very competitive. You have to be lucky to get in. PM me if you want more info as I don't want to derail this thread.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I had to apply and go thru interview process. Its not as easy as simply applying. It very competitive. You have to be lucky to get in. PM me if you want more info as I don't want to derail this thread.
congratulations...that is a very worthwhile thing to do!!!!

Burnfire

Burnfire

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm loving the entry's guys! Keep em coming!! As we move into December a little more allow that spirit of giving, take hold and take off!

Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I second what my brother man just said. Really great stories in here that have brought a smile to my face. I'm proud of you all, and am so damn happy to call all of you my friends ?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
So. Much. Giving.

Keep em coming guys!

liftin_fofive

liftin_fofive

Awards
This holiday I'll be giving my fiancé and her daughter a simple promise. To be the father her daughter has never had, I'll be adopting her and maybe its more of a present to me since I can't have kids of my own. Her real dad (aka sperm donor) has never met her and refuses to be in her life but I'll never let her grow up to thinking she was unwanted! Happy holidays A.M. ! (:)

Burnfire

Burnfire

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hey guys getting closer to the end of the month. Excited to see some more post! Thank you again for everyone that helped out!

I thought I'd share something with y'all.

I live in Texas and the weather is pretty crazy, I guess for our standards. Idk either way, there was a cold front that came through that was pretty intense. I was driving with my family and noticed this homeless older gentleman walking. The wind was blowing pretty hard was well. I just received a new jacket from my grandfather. Knowing I could afford another, we stopped and gave the jacket to him. He was so happy and thankful!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Can't believe Christmas is less than two weeks away!
I don't know if everyone else has had weather like me but it feels more like Xmas in July!

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey guys getting closer to the end of the month. Excited to see some more post! Thank you again for everyone that helped out!

I thought I'd share something with y'all.

I live in Texas and the weather is pretty crazy, I guess for our standards. Idk either way, there was a cold front that came through that was pretty intense. I was driving with my family and noticed this homeless older gentleman walking. The wind was blowing pretty hard was well. I just received a new jacket from my grandfather. Knowing I could afford another, we stopped and gave the jacket to him. He was so happy and thankful!
The storm that hit this past weekend?
The wind knocked a train off the tracks in my hometown.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I put up a nativity scene in my front yard so everyone can be reminded of why we celebrate Christmas.

unreal89

unreal89

Awards
im in texas to DFW area weather has been str8 crazy for december 70 degrees then 39 then 70 like whats going on??