Mr iForce Dusty Hanshaw...journal to the USA's - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 4

Mr iForce Dusty Hanshaw...journal to the USA's

Page 4 of 5 First ... 2345 Last
  1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by yosefmax88 View Post
    I usually do it after training and feel the difference , some people say " oh it's better to do cardio then weight train". I think the results are better when you weight train then do cardio . I weigh 198 I would like to get down to 187 should I do more cardio and less weight ? And I know dieting is a big part of cutting too , any suggestions on types if food to eat to trim up ?
    I'm not dusty but let me just say this.

Stop looking at the scale. Start eating clean on a regular basis: less processed foods more whole foods: potatoes, rice, lean meats and veggies.
    Avoid dairy if you're trying to lose fat
    and focus on just getting brutally strong on squats, deads, and presses.. Try 5/3/1 with hypertrophy assistance work.

As far as cardio you need to be doing hiit, sprints, sled pulls, prowler, farmer walks, etc

As you get stronger you'll gain muscle weight and lose fat at the same time.

Once you're actually strong, maybe look into bodybuilding style training.

2. Advanced Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Thanks for the info , I used to weigh 340 and lost over 100 lbs I know how to lose weight and I know eating processed food is not good I mainly eat whole foods I know the key ways to maintaining I just like to try new things . And no I'm not a bodybuilder but I like to train like a bodybuilder .
  3. New Member

mind sending me one of those chrome plated Tee shirts!!!! haha jk

but seriously I order hemavol on the reg to mix with whatever preworkout i use, plus i always get free iforce lifting straps. The straps are solid they def aren't the cheap kind

dusty in the off season i know you used to do alot of DC style training but have you ever done any time of say strength training like a PHAT program (layne norton), i know your not a powerlifter but some of the points he makes to its benefits are interesting

God Bless keep up the good work

Braski
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    So morning cardio is almost like an extended HIIT cardio?
    Exactly! I always like to specify because if I were to call it HIIT that would not really be accurate.

I usually do it after training and feel the difference , some people say " oh it's better to do cardio then weight train". I think the results are better when you weight train then do cardio . I weigh 198 I would like to get down to 187 should I do more cardio and less weight ? And I know dieting is a big part of cutting too , any suggestions on types if food to eat to trim up ?
    It's not a matter of more cardio or more training. You must do the training to stimulate the muscle plus following training your metabolism stays high for hours after where as when you do cardio your metabolism is only increased as long as you heart rate is up. You need to do both if you want to get down in bodyfat. As far as the diet your question answered is only going to leave you with more questions. If you are serious and have been paying attention to what you have been eating EXACTLY then post the meal number and what you eat for each meal and I would be more than happy to make some suggestions on how you could alter it to get better results.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.

Sorry for a bit of a quiet week here but in all honesty outside of a minor injury setback (nothing major but def a little bump in the road) it has been an amazing week. I am now about where I was condition wise for the 2012 NPC Nationals and I have just under 6 weeks to bring myself all of the way in. Some would say I am ahead of schedule but I feel right on track because I know it is going to take some very calculated diet and cardio adjustments to nail the conditioning without losing and ounce of size. At the moment the changes I have made in my short time with Chris Cormier are really showing through and I know that they will onlyu continue to improve over the next six weeks leading into the USA's and then even moreso once I can start a full offseason under his guidance.

DH~8
  6. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Sorry to hear about the injury setback big man. Hopefully it is something that can be worked around. I have a curiousity question for you. What drew you to using Chris Cormeir for guidance as opposed to a Rambod, Glass, or other well known names in the industry? I had not heard that he was even training clients but then again I am not that versed in the industry either. Chris Aceto is definitely a big name as far as diet training in the business. Just curious.
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  7. Advanced Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by dustyhanshaw View Post

Exactly! I always like to specify because if I were to call it HIIT that would not really be accurate.

It's not a matter of more cardio or more training. You must do the training to stimulate the muscle plus following training your metabolism stays high for hours after where as when you do cardio your metabolism is only increased as long as you heart rate is up. You need to do both if you want to get down in bodyfat. As far as the diet your question answered is only going to leave you with more questions. If you are serious and have been paying attention to what you have been eating EXACTLY then post the meal number and what you eat for each meal and I would be more than happy to make some suggestions on how you could alter it to get better results.
    Thanks for the info sir!
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.

Awesome dusty, wishing you a speedy recovery!!!

mike
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    Sorry to hear about the injury setback big man. Hopefully it is something that can be worked around. I have a curiousity question for you. What drew you to using Chris Cormeir for guidance as opposed to a Rambod, Glass, or other well known names in the industry? I had not heard that he was even training clients but then again I am not that versed in the industry either. Chris Aceto is definitely a big name as far as diet training in the business. Just curious.
    Honestly I went with Cormier after meeting with him verses seeing how Glass approaches his clients. Respectfully i will say that Glass is kind of King of the training mountain in the industry and when i was watching him train I felt as though the training was not being very specifically tailored to the individual. Once i sat down with Cormier I could tell that he was passionate about my success and hungry to prove that with him in my corner i would see the changes that i was wanting to make. Since then he has more than proven me correct and I will be with him for the entire off season as well following the USA's in July.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.

Just under 6 weeks out and today is officially a "Just Get Through It" day. One thing I hate is how a lot of bodybuilders at the higher level like to pretend that their not suffering from exhaustion, hunger, or soreness. I mean don't get me wrong I don't want to follow a guy who whines and complains all day about how hard their diet is but at the same token I think it is key for up and coming bodybuilders to know that we all suffer and if you are truly pushing yourself the way you should be the diet and contest prep never get easy. To be honest my preps have actually gotten more difficult over the years because at this point I know I cannot afford to be any less that 99% of perfect if I want to win against these other athletes who have some structural advantages or just who are bad ass athletes who are also busting their ass chasing the same brass ring come USA's. The only thing that has changed is that none of it is a surprise to me and not only do I expect to have days where I feel like crap but I actually look forward to them because there is nothing more reassuring during prep that you are doing all you can then when you are feeling beat down yet come hell or high water you stick to that diet to the letter, you do every second of cardio that is on your plan, and you push your training as if you are feeling great and don't for a second let yourself back down the weight or intensity just because you can feel the prep setting in.

To summarize this post I am feeling exhausted today but that same crap feeling is letting me know that I am on track to be at my best in just under six weeks and that knowledge is going to make killing it in the gym tonight just a little bit easier.

Whatever it takes...
  11. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

No better feeling than knowing that you earned it big man!
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Hang in there Dusty

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
  13. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.

To summarize this post I am feeling exhausted today but that same crap feeling is letting me know that I am on track to be at my best in just under six weeks and that knowledge is going to make killing it in the gym tonight just a little bit easier.

Whatever it takes...
    Dave Pulcinellla has a nice quote, I wish I could remember it, but the point of it was, if your are not in pain, and you are not suffering, you are not doing what is required to turn pro.

Mike
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.

5.5 weeks out and I am loving how this prep is going so far. As is always the case I have had a slight snag with a little injury but it only forced me to take one extra day off from upper body training. The injury is to my left tri and last night I was able to push through a delt workout without to many alterations to my program. I would say the only issue is that my arm is a bit swollen so I found that as I started pressing and my tri's filled with blood the left one got so pumped that it actually became difficult to straighten it all the way with the heavier weight once I had reached reps 12 and above. Tonight I am back to lower body so that will give it another day off before hitting back tomorrow night.

As far as conditioning goes I feel I am finally at a point where I can say I should be able to match my previous best combination of fullness and conditioning which for me was the 2010 NPC USA's. We are actually pressing pretty hard on the cardio at the moment but being that the majority of it has been on the stepmill it has not caused any negative issues with the size on my legs. I actually measure them every other morning because I understand that with the size of my upper body it is extremely important that I do not lose any of my hard earned lower body mass. I went through five months of brutal leg workouts and countless amounts of food to get these wheels to grow and there is no way in hell I would let myself lose any of it this time.

Energy is already really low throughout the day but by the time I head back to the gym to train I am flying thanks to my iForce Conquer and the five meals I have eaten before heading in to train.

DH
  15. New Member

keep it going dusty, your almost there
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.

Insane weekend of training, cardio, posing and of course CHANGE!!! This is by far my favorite part of prep because body fat percentage is getting really low and energy levels are right there with it. You know your prep is falling into place when from doing the stepmill and training your lkegs are so tired and weak that with every step you take you can actually feel your hamstrings lift your feet off the ground and move them forward. Having these feelings keeps you very aware that you are in contest prep but more importantly for me it is a reminder that I am on track to achieve my goal which is bring my all time best to the USA stage in July. One thing that many people do not understand about me is the fact that I do not go into shows just to win. Instead I go into shows looking to bring a physique that is by far my best to date. I want to be standing proud on that stage knowing that I did all I could do to be my very best and that I made drastic improvements since the previous show. Sadly I have to admit that from 2011 Nationals to 2012 Nationals I do not feel I could say that. I had a very distracted prep and did not feel I did my best in representing my sponsors, my supporters, or myself when I walked out onto that stage. Now just 7 months later I am using that disappointment to push me to earn redemption of that last showing and at 4.5 weeks out I know I am on my way to doing just that.

Also I have been getting a lot of requests from people wanting to see more videos of mine on the iForce YouTube channel. Because of this I shot two short videos this weekend and hired a guy to shoot more footage of me this week and every week leading into the USA's. We will have a ridiculous amount of content going up weekly so I hope you are ready. Also if you have any suggestions I am more than willing to hear them and make them happen.

DH~8
  17. Advanced Member

Sounds great I look forward to viewing your training videos sir keep up the good work and god bless you
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.

Were all behind you dusty! You do so much for the sport and we all appreciate that!
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

+2!!!
  20. New Member

wow the videos are gonna be sick!!!
  21. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Like what others have said before me. Your almost there!!! I want to see the videos also. Watched a leg routine recently and I just don't have anything smart to say about it. I can tell you I got motivated to do better next time after I saw you doing what you do though.
  22. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.

Sounds great I look forward to viewing your training videos sir keep up the good work and god bless you
    Thanks as always for the support. Tomorrow night we are shooting delt training, Friday we are hitting my masseuse, and then closing out Friday night with some old school back training

Quote Originally Posted by criticalbench View Post
    Were all behind you dusty! You do so much for the sport and we all appreciate that!
    Just doing what we all love and fortunate enough to have a great platform to do it. Thanks as always for all you do
  23. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.

As any of you who have competed before in bodybuilding by the time you are about 6 weeks out until showtime your energy levels are at an all time low and most of the time it is purely through desire that you can get through your cardio and workouts because bluntly the fuel from food is not matching the caloric output from day to day. With that being said I can honestly say that I am really feeling the prep at this point but I am loving it. There is no better feeling when a show is coming closer than actually realizing that your body is tired enough that you can feel just how responsible your hamstrings are for picking up your feet when you walk or at the end of the night after your final meal feeling like you literally have to talk yourself into walking to your bedroom rather than just sleeping on the couch because you are to tired and lazy to get up. Many guys complain about these feelings and although I will not pretend I like feeling like crap I will say that this is when I know I am truly getting close to having the look for the stage that I am striving for. As I have stated in the past there is no feeling more reassuring in this sport than exhaustion. That feeling of exhaustion lets you know that your mind is pushing your body past where it wants to go and you are still standing. It is also at this point where I find myself somehow challenging myself to push even harder because I know that as of tomorrow morning I only have 28 more days before I step on stage and no matter how hard those twenty eight days are they will not kill me. As the saying goes "Nothing very good or very bad lasts very long."

DH~8
  24. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.

What is the weight goal for the comp and where are you now?
  25. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    What is the weight goal for the comp and where are you now?
    Doesn't matter but will be around 260lbs. Key for me is I have to have that perfect balance of being dry AND full...with a physique like mine one or the other will not get the job done.
  26. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.

That still boggles my mind that you can hold 260 lbs and still be shredded, full, and dry. I can't wait to see you rock that big man!!
  27. Advanced Member

Hey Mr. Hanshaw just wanted to say that I watched a vid you had where you were showing your meals and I tried the chopped up potatoes with spices and it was great ! Good clean carbs
  28. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.

Hard to believe that 21 days from now the dust will have settled and what's done will be done with my 2013 USA showing. I'm not sure how many of you following this compete but those of you who do will understand what I mean when i say that at this point the biggest key is to live in the moment and not to start wishing the days away. For me personally at this point my condition is very good and to many it is even good enough to drop the water and step on stage now and because of this I have already established more or less what the finished product will look like which is dangerous because I unintentionally find myself day dreaming about the changes I need to make following the show to get my physical self closer to the mental image I have in my mind for my personal ideal physique. As I have stated in videos in the past I love the act of bodybuilding a lot more than the actual shows themselves so I tend to get a lot more personal satisfaction from the changes I make from one show to the next over the competition itself. That being said this year I am really working hard to just take each day as it comes and really enjoy the process which has been great.

At this point my weight is hovering between 270 and 275lbs depending on what the meal plan has looked like over the last few days and my condition seems to be improving with each passing day. I am not sure where I will end up competing at but I am sure I will weigh in somewhere around the 260lb mark and based on the progress I have seen I feel very confident in saying I will be my all time best which has been my goal since Saturday following the 2012 Nationals where I honestly feel/know that I was nowhere near my best. Today is my second to last quad workout and I am really looking forward to pushing myself and my training partner through the most grueling leg day in recent memory. As always we are following my training which was written by Chris Cormier but he has also added a few extra movements which include walking BB lunges and sissy squats on the hack squat machine. As soon as I received the text from Chris telling me to add those movements I was even more happy that i chose to knock out my cardio and abdominal training prior to heading into work today so it would not be left to do after training.

DH~8
  29. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  179 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

awesome updates dusty, cant wait to see the finished product.
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/iForce-Nutrition/107510095952360
    iTrain...iCompete...iDarce!
  30. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

I conquer! !!!
  31. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by thedarce View Post
    awesome updates dusty, cant wait to see the finished product.

Agreed.. will be clued to MD all day!!
  32. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Looks like ill be at the show big guy, as always. Best of luck
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  33. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  275 lbs.

Good luck. Its always very enriching reading about the experience that you enjoy as a competitor while transcending lessons as a person. Very much an extension of you. God bless. I am sure you will kick ass.
  34. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    Looks like ill be at the show big guy, as always. Best of luck
    Awesome! Be sure to say hi if you see me there

Quote Originally Posted by shawn bellon View Post
    Good luck. Its always very enriching reading about the experience that you enjoy as a competitor while transcending lessons as a person. Very much an extension of you. God bless. I am sure you will kick ass.
    Shawn, thx for the words but as you know no luck is needed. This show has already been a success and I am enjoying every step in the process. No matter what happens on stage I will be my best and have no regrets.
  35. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.

Hey Mr. Hanshaw just wanted to say that I watched a vid you had where you were showing your meals and I tried the chopped up potatoes with spices and it was great ! Good clean carbs
    Glad you liked them. They are one of my favorite carb sources for both offseason and precontest
  36. Advanced Member

Glad you liked them. They are one of my favorite carb sources for both offseason and precontest
    Yea I think it's my new favorite carb
  37. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.

I added potatos last contest prep.. Worked like a charm!
  38. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by criticalbench View Post
    I added potatos last contest prep.. Worked like a charm!
    I always carb up on white potatoes. Not sure why but yams and sweet potatoes have always caused my stomach to feel bloated.
  39. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.

Man did I ever hit the wall yesterday! Woke up at my normal time and went in to blast out my 30 minutes of intervals on the stepmill, did my stretching/rolling, hit abs and then started my work day. Like every Monday I worked in my store for 10:00am-8:00pm and ate four meals while I was there (meal 2-5) ABout twenty minutes before closing time I could tell I was really feeling the exhaustion of the day so I decided that I would drive straight home and crash for 20-30 minutes before heading in to train back. Walked into my house at 8:50pm asked my wife to wake me up at 9:20pm and within what felt like seconds I was out like a light. Crawled to the gym about 9:35pm rolled for about 15 minutes while I waited for my Hemavol and Conquer to kick in and proceeded to have an insane back workout. By about 11:20pm we were done and I was beyond done. I literally had to force myself to walk to the car and make the two min drive home dreading the fact that I still needed to cook my green beans and my 16oz tilapia. Needless to say I was beyond stoked when i walked in the door and saw my wife had already prepped, cooked, and measured my meal so all I had to do was knock it down and crash for the night. Knowing I am starting to really feel the prep I decided to sleep in a bit later and did not head to the stores (work) until almost 2:00pm and now I am feeling great and looking forward to blasting out one of my last arm days before showtime in Vegas.

DH~8
  40. Advanced Member

Man did I ever hit the wall yesterday! Woke up at my normal time and went in to blast out my 30 minutes of intervals on the stepmill, did my stretching/rolling, hit abs and then started my work day. Like every Monday I worked in my store for 10:00am-8:00pm and ate four meals while I was there (meal 2-5) ABout twenty minutes before closing time I could tell I was really feeling the exhaustion of the day so I decided that I would drive straight home and crash for 20-30 minutes before heading in to train back. Walked into my house at 8:50pm asked my wife to wake me up at 9:20pm and within what felt like seconds I was out like a light. Crawled to the gym about 9:35pm rolled for about 15 minutes while I waited for my Hemavol and Conquer to kick in and proceeded to have an insane back workout. By about 11:20pm we were done and I was beyond done. I literally had to force myself to walk to the car and make the two min drive home dreading the fact that I still needed to cook my green beans and my 16oz tilapia. Needless to say I was beyond stoked when i walked in the door and saw my wife had already prepped, cooked, and measured my meal so all I had to do was knock it down and crash for the night. Knowing I am starting to really feel the prep I decided to sleep in a bit later and did not head to the stores (work) until almost 2:00pm and now I am feeling great and looking forward to blasting out one of my last arm days before showtime in Vegas.

DH~8
    Man bro that's dedication big ups to you man I feel the same sometimes . I only have time to train early am time 5am-730a then home shower get the children fed get ready for work come home 3days out of the week I work from 3p- 11p and those days suck from being up all day but ya gotta train no matter what! ???
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. The Dusty Hanshaw Super Stack!
    By NutraPlanet CS in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-14-2010, 09:27 AM
  2. 6 weeks out pics to the USA!!
    By saxon299 in forum Pics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-22-2010, 10:25 AM