Abstract/Bloodwork Results from a Research Study we did on HGH-UP

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I will have the full text up in the next few days when I have a second.....

The Acute Effects of a Dietary Supplement on Serum Growth Hormone Levels in Weight-Trained Male Subjects

Tanis, D., Orrell, D., MacAnulty, A., and Long, Dr. W.

Lab Corp® and Applied Nutriceuticals® Research, Charlotte, North Carolina 28269

Address all correspondence and requests for reprints to: Dirk Tanis, Jr., MSci, Department of Research, Applied Nutriceuticals®, 8112 Statesville Road Suite G, Charlotte, NC 28269.

Abstract
Many weight-trained men seek to raise circulating serum growth hormone (GH) levels, both through training, and supplementation. The major source of circulating GH is the pituitary. The known anabolic effects of GH on skeletal muscle, and the current rise in supplements on the current market that purport increases in GH and related body composition, has become a huge market in the United States. Most oral growth hormone supplements have been shown to be ineffective, due to various factors, and, aside from several medically-supervised challenge tests, injectible peptides have historically been the only way to increase GH levels. However, a dietary supplement formulation that recently hit the International market, HGH-Up™ , containing L-Dopa, a Dopa Decarboxylase Inhibitor (DDCI), specific vitamins and minerals, and Huperzine-A, a potent acetylcholinesterase (AChE) and somatostatin inhibitor seems to be promising in allowing for the increase of Serum GH in weight-trained men. We sought to test this hypothesis in the study. Methods: 3 men (mean age, 33 ± 3.2 yr, range 22–44) with at least 5 years of weight-training experience were studied. Parameters measured were mean body weight (230.0 lbs ± 20.2 lbs.), mean body fat (10.2 % ± 0.92%), mean muscular mass (206.54 lbs. ± 18.5 lbs.), and mean fat mass (23.46 lbs ± 2.11 lbs). Serum GH levels were measured via bloodwork (Lab Corp®) on two separate days, after an overnight fast. Serum GH levels were measured with (Test) and without (Baseline) having taken the supplement, with serum GH being measured at time (t)= -15, 45, 90, and 150 min. 4 separate blood draws per analysis period were taken (4 Test day, 4 Baseline); 8 total per subject over two separate days, and on the Test day, subjects were given a 6 capsule dosage of the supplement (t=0). Results: Each of the 3 weight-trained men (100%) had frank increases in serum GH levels after a 6 capsule dosage of HGH-Up™ when compared to baseline values. Average baseline Serum GH for the entire group was 0.496 ng/mL ± 0.045 ng/mL (SEM). Average peak Serum GH following administration of the supplement was 11.8 ng/mL ± 1.06 ng/mL, representing an average total rise of 2,379% in Serum GH values for the group.

Rx Lift

Banned
Awards
  • Established
While this is presented formally.. it looks like it was just an in house pilot study. No offense, but there are way to many flaws and variables in this for me to really believe the study.

anbes

Awards
the "n" is to low, there is no control group, not blinded... the ittention was really good, but it is not a very good paper!

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
the "n" is to low, there is no control group, not blinded... the ittention was really good, but it is not a very good paper!
You always run a smaller study with a lower sampling size before a larger one- when I was in graduate school, we did abstracts/write-ups for any type of research, even those with low sampling size. You try to look at research with low sampling #'s as a starting point, and this one happened to have favorable results (as we hypothesized). You also try to do everything in groups of 3- one time is chance, two times can still be coincidence, but three times has an exponentially greater correlation. Same with validation studies on machinery and processes that we do for our manufacturing equipment- you try to validate 3 separate commercially-ran lots against your specs for each machine to ascertain what your control limits are going to be- and then you do it for the entire process. If it comes out messed up on the first one, you have some tweaking to do. It is like a synthesis reaction in chem- if you mess up the first step, why proceed? This situation isn't much different- just with humans, one of our supplements, and we are using blood tests to validate instead diagnostic equipment.......

Same reason you have 3-Stage research with pharmaceuticals- first one doesn't come out right, you need to fix some things.....

Once your hypothesis on a smaller sampling size is confirmed or denied, then you move on to a larger population size. No sense starting with 25 subjects, expending large amounts of monetary resources, and have unfavorable results, and then have to re-do the formulation from scratch. Same goes for your mfg. and other processes used to make dietary supplements- if your first trial run does not come out correctly, you may need to look at all the variables again, before you proceed.....

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
what is the "p" value?
Not really applicable in this situation b/c the sample size is low- I wouldn't even start doing statistical analysis until I had an n>20, and then it would be a different set-up, statistically-speaking. We used standard deviation

Once again- this was to get a better idea of what exactly the product is doing....

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, the N is small, but the HGH difference between baseline and treated peak is pretty phenomenal.

Very very few supp companies can afford to finance studies, even fewer ever even bother so I give props to AN for even initiating. I look forward to more studies.

anbes

Awards
2,379% is 2000 or 2 "point" 3?

I am not criticizing the atitude. I am very happy to know this concerniment from supls industry. But when u put a scientific research u must be open to critics. It is a good fst time, but it is a paper fulled of "vieses"! What does 2000% really repesent? How much, f. ex, naturally we get when working out?
2000 could sounds great, but could be nothing! That's why good valeus, statistic mentions, good N are pretty important.
But, good job to take this discussion possible!

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Good question and dialogue- I can give you a decent answer- but as aforementioned by Rx-Lift- there are a lot of different variables that go into this one- probably the best way to look at it is matching the variables in terms of the time of day that we did the tests, vs. the existing data on the pulsatility of GH in men during different hours of the day.

Normal pulsatile GH for men 21-30 is highest during the first 2 hrs. of sleep- baseline is usually around 0.2 to 0.4 ng/mL, increasing to 12-14 ng/mL during the peak of the pulse (1). However, since doing a night-time study was not feasible for any of the subjects, we measured GH first thing in the morning, with 4 draws over a 165 minute period, after an overnight fast. Normal baseline GH for men 21-30 is 0.2 to 0.4 ng/mL during this time period (the first 3 hours after waking), and baseline serum GH taken from our subjects ran roughly within this range. In normal men, there is a pulse during the first 3 hours after waking, but it is fairly weak- running between 0.8 ng/mL and 1.4ng/mL. The subjects who took HGH-Up ran over 11 ng/mL during the peak of the pulse over the same time period. Serum GH values also ran in this range (0.2-0.4 ng/mL baseline, 0.8-1.4 ng/mL pulses)on the day testers did not take HGH-Up.

1. Smith, R. and Thorner, O. Human growth hormone: research and clinical practice. pgs. 260-263. 2000. Cambridge University Press.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
One other thing to mention, and I posted about this on another board:
"The funny thing was, on the days the testers took HGH-Up, serum GH levels rose rapidly from 45 minutes up to 150, and the peak serum GH levels for all of the testers occurred @ 150 minutes. We didn't measure anything longer than that, and to your point, a longer testing period may revealed more, so I think a full, or at least a half- day study would be much more revealing, and may be a possibility in the future....we decided to start small on this first study and go from there...."

May be an interesting starting point for the next study.....

tyler4

tyler4

Awards
  • Established
Huge props to the AN team doing something like this. I could be wrong, but I havent seen this type study from many companies in the industry.

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
Huge props to the AN team doing something like this. I could be wrong, but I havent seen this type study from many companies in the industry.
On behalf of AN, thank you!

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established
You would be right in that observation. Truthfully, most companies do not take the time to make sure that they're products actually work. Many companies rely on marketing gimmicks, broscience, and placebo effects. There are a select number of companies that produce quality products and Applied Nutriceuticals is one of the best in the business for sure.

Thank you for the kind words Tyler.

Cheers!:cheers:

-Sean-

Team APPNUT

tyler4

tyler4

Awards
  • Established
You would be right in that observation. Truthfully, most companies do not take the time to make sure that they're products actually work. Many companies rely on marketing gimmicks, broscience, and placebo effects. There are a select number of companies that produce quality products and Applied Nutriceuticals is one of the best in the business for sure.

Thank you for the kind words Tyler.

-Sean-

Team APPNUT
Exactly. I know a lot companies compile studies of the ingredients that are used in a product, but that doesnt really equate to that product working in the same manner. So in this case, we actually have tests proving the effects of the product itself.

I understand the study isnt exactly perfect by medical journal standards, but it's good nonetheless. Especially when no other companies do this. :)

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Would this be= to about 2iu's of HGH?

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Would this be= to about 2iu's of HGH?
Short answer- no clue :) Lot of different variables- and that is a tough thing to quantify....I have been looking for a decent answer- but I am having a decent amount of difficulty finding you guys one, LOL

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
I feel you man. I am in that same boat as a student.

sanchezgreg18

sanchezgreg18

Awards
  • Established
i was thinking today do u think that hghup would yield more gains while in keto or on anabolic diet since low insulin constantly would allow for maximum hgh all day? just a thought

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What about 1iu or .5 iu. How would it compare to peptides or actual gh? I am curious as this could replace peptides and gh in theory at that rate.

Big Poppa S

Big Poppa S

Awards
  • Established
It's great that they took the time to do this... definitely a step in the right direction for the industry in general. And to me, it makes great business sense to do a small "test" or "pilot" study to assess whether there is any value in investing in a much larger (more expensive) study.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lab Results for HGHup♂

Lab results re bloodwork with and without HGHup♂ are up - Lab Results for HGHup - for those that are interested.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established
A product backed by real science and the industry trend setter. Bumping this for all customers old and new in case they have not read up on the results.

-Sean-

Team APPNUT

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
A product backed by real science and the industry trend setter. Bumping this for all customers old and new in case they have not read up on the results.

-Sean-

Team APPNUT
As others have done, take notes :deal:

Love me some HGHup!!! :)