Helios pre-morning workout?

M

mdw2020

Awards
Somewhat new to the Chaos and Pain supplements, and am gradually introducing them into my rotation. Starting w/ Helios anti-inflammatory joint support. On the instructions, it states to take on an empty stomach, up to two doses daily whenever you feel the onset of inflammation, joint pain, etc. Safe for regular use, doesn't need to be cycled.

My initial feedback is that after just a few days there is an immediate effect from this product, definitely a soothing or lessening of joint pain and tendon inflammation.

I'm wondering about taking Helios first thing in the morning upon waking, a couple of hours prior to lifting. (I've sometimes needed to take Advil prior to lifting in the morning, and am hoping this would reduce that need.) Are there any contraindications to taking pre-workout?

Initially, in addition to the morning dose, I'm taking a second scoop later in the afternoon, about 6 hours post-workout.

Thanks in advance for any advice on optimizing usage of Helios.

M

mdw2020

Awards
Quick update on Helios use: I am lifting around 7:30-8:00 am, approx. 1.5-2 hours after rising. Taking Helios first thing, and then another dose late afternoon, generally around 4 pm. This seems to set me up for pain-free lifting, and kill any inflammation heading into the evening.

Some studies seem to support vit. C supplementation prior to lifting:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8299614

I do not recommend taking this too late in the evening: it has a fairly high dose of Vit. C, which can have a mild stimulating effect. Also, I would not take immediately after lifting, as you don't want to be ingesting antioxidants during or immediately post workout:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22060178

All that said, Helios is amazing stuff. I have struggled w/ inflammation in my wrists, forearms and elbows for some time, and after just half a tub, generally dosing 2x day, sometimes just 1x day, that inflammation is decreased to almost nothing and I am taking almost no ibuprofen, whereas previously it was 400-800 mg a day (sometimes more).

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
While you're not supposed to use anti-inflammatory supplements immediately following exercise because the inflammation is good for muscle growth and repair, some of us (ahem) have used Helios to get the joints right after a grueling workout.

Insofar as a contraindication, maybe something like ArA, which operates by increasing inflammation or somesuch... not that a guy who takes ibuprofen just to get into the gym ought to mess with something like that I should think.

As an aside, vitamin C wakes you up?! Man, I sometimes nap while using ECA. It's fascinating how stim tolerance varies between people. In the same vein, I'd think the 5-HTP in it should override whatever stimulation VitC gives you.