Staying Motivated getting back at it

purebrutality

Awards
How do you guys stay motivated. Recently I hit a major Burn out block. this happens though out the year. But this time im deployed in the military, and for 3 months straigh I was hitting it hardcore, and BAM! Just completley got depressed, did not want to go to the gym, hated it, though away my supplements/magazine, ust did not want anything to do with lifting/bodybuilding. I was surronding myself with it. No after 3 weeks off, I was doing cardio a. I swithced up my routine, started 5x5 witrh extra stuff, I ready to get back at It. The itch has returned and I am ready to kill. What are you guy's thoughts on this have you ever gotten burnt out how did it go?

CNPWayne

CNPWayne

Board Sponsor
Awards
How do you guys stay motivated. Recently I hit a major Burn out block. this happens though out the year. But this time im deployed in the military, and for 3 months straigh I was hitting it hardcore, and BAM! Just completley got depressed, did not want to go to the gym, hated it, though away my supplements/magazine, ust did not want anything to do with lifting/bodybuilding. I was surronding myself with it. No after 3 weeks off, I was doing cardio a. I swithced up my routine, started 5x5 witrh extra stuff, I ready to get back at It. The itch has returned and I am ready to kill. What are you guy's thoughts on this have you ever gotten burnt out how did it go?
Biggest thing for me is doing what I want to do when that happens. I will go through phases for weeks at a time and only come in and work biceps and triceps haha. Basically if you do what is fun and what you like doing the rest will follow and to me that is the only way. If you do not enjoy lifting you will hate it every time you come in there and get burnt out.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
First, thanks for your service. From your mention about hitting it hard I suspect you experienced some burn out. It happens to all of us from time- to-time. I suggest changing up your workouts to include more "unusual or challenging" routines. For me it's a Boxer's or Karate workout. These are great for cardio and who doesn't like wailing on the heavy bag? Good lifting!

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
I will plan out my training in advance, usually 4-6 weeks then print out each training session on a bit of paper
I don't know how to articulate what this does, but it adds a sense of urgency, like you've made a promise and you HAVE to do it
No way to justify slacking off to yourself, it's written down and you have to do it. It's hard at first especially if you're like me and plan something completely outrageous but eventually you just stop caring and just think about getting it done.

I use Sheiko for this, currently doing a 4 day CMS cycle I planned out. By a few weeks in, you adapt to the volume and start killing the weights, it gets fun again and you start enjoying training. Routine helps even more as well, like planning a certain time every day to go to the gym. You do this, this, this and that then hit the gym. Makes it normal, I feel like something is wrong if I don't train

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
I've been cutting, so the slightest injury, apparently, can lead to a period of burn out. I eat my face off... just the worst junk food. After a day or two of digestive horrors, I see the sad bratwurst of a man in the mirror, decide I can't abide being a floppy, uncooked sausage person, and get back on diet and workouts double hard doing something ridiculous that makes me smile. For example, when I tweaked my knee, I pressed my tits off with every conceivable variation seven days a week for a couple months if, I like to imagine, just to be a spectacle to the other gym regulars. It doesn't have to make sense, it just has to be fun to me.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
I generally find I can deal with some sort of pressing every training session
Lighter weights + smaller muscles make it very easy to recover. Especially **** like one armed dumbbell push presses

Justin_p

Justin_p

Awards
Thank you for killing people and breaking things on our behalf. :usa2:

Second, and to second what Wayne said, do what you enjoy doing. Third, modulate how much you're doing if your active duty is tiring you out.

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
I generally find I can deal with some sort of pressing every training session
I wasn't so much squeezing in a little light pressing as spending 90+ minutes in the gym doing sets of 3-5, occasionally singles, with appropriate weights every day. Admittedly, I mixed in rows/shrugs/curls/good mornings/etc between presses when I felt like it. I was pretty wrecked after 6-8 weeks of that nonsense, but all my presses moved and I saw some delts for the first time in my life, while giving my knee a much-needed break. It was pretty fun for a while anyway and kept me going while forcing me to try out more new variations.

purebrutality

Awards
I enjoy lifting, its my escape. Put on my tunes and its my own time. Relive my stress and agression. It keeps me going, especially out here. Im not one of those '"Merica, Im a goddamn hero" types. There are a lot of douches in the military, and power trippers, non-freethinkers. But I stay focused to feed the wifey and kiddo. So the gym is my escape from the monotany. But its been back and forth this last month, one week Im motivated the next, I dont care. Also the biggest thing is the goddamn infestation of "bros" and crossfitters. Ill be lifting and they are in swarms, and I stop to think "what the **** am I doing, Im not like these dumbasses, is this how Im perceived." But then I read some Chaos and Pain and realize Im not, Im my own person.