Stew-riods

Justin_p

Justin_p

Awards
I recall that Jamie mentioned in on of the CnB podcasts that the Stew-roids series was one of the most popular sets of articles he's ever done. I find that comical since he basically turned his blog into an online recipe cook book...with titties and trannies. I can't deny that it got me making stews and soups more often though.

So, I was curious what everyone's been cooking up lately? My two hands-down favorites lately are the Kotsupafor and that medieval beef stew. On both I've doubled up the herbs and spices. I also found a great recipe in a spice shop in Sarasota that I make a lot too. It's worth a share...

baconbeeflentilsteweditededitedagain.jpg

Has anyone come across anything else that's good too? Share the knowledge...

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
man I have loads of badass recipes, I will post them up when I can be bothered

ThaGerGuy3000

Awards
I just buy some meat and some veggies that could go with it and then have that, I just try to have a good weight ratio so I don't end up with too little meat.

Sadly the only thing I can get with bone in it is chicken. So I have that most often.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hello

Justin_p

Justin_p

Awards
Wow, I guess I'm showing a sally-side of me with the effort I put into my cooking.

I do love cooking

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Wheat toast slightly blackened, parkay spread

andrewmc

andrewmc

Awards
The only thing I want for Christmas is a crock pot so I can get my all-day stew recipes going. I can't wait to come home after a day of work and training to a steamy stew ready to eat. I guess these are the things I fantasize about now...

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Notta! Are you guys all affiliated with C&P?

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not sure which C&P but the answer is no. CNP is just the short of Chaos and Pain.
Yeah sorry I meant Chaos and Pain.
I just assumed by the way everyone in here is talking that you all knew each other.

Anyways back to Stew!

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
Good a spot as any for a first post, I guess.
My buddy called my soup the best he's ever had. In front of his own mother. Since she's Ukranian, I've never left her house without being so full I couldn't tie my shoes, so that's worth something to me. Here's how I made my recent batch:

Grab your largest pot, stick in two turkey carcasses. A gallon ziplock of leftover bones from ordering wings works great too. The more joints the better.
Throw in 5lbs of chicken thighs. Or as much as you can fit in the pot.
Add 4 large onions. Whole. Don't even peel them. Throw in a pound or two of carrots, same treatment.
Fill the pot to about the 3/4 point with water for now. Get it to boil, add in some more water to get everything under, turn it down to a simmer, and stick a lid on it.
Stir every hour for a few hours (3-5) until the meat falls off the bones.
Separate everything from the broth.
Toss the bones. Add the meat back in, peel and chop up the onions and carrots. Add a whole bag of chopped up celery. Now's the time to throw in any extra chicken, bones removed, you can fit. Add water enough to submerge everything again if necessary.
Let it cook for another hour or two.
Add in salt until it tastes perfect, then add a little more. Maybe six tablespoons of black pepper. Eyeball this stuff, it's just soup.
Enjoy.

Edit: The current batch includes a diced ginger root and a bulb of garlic. Delicious.

CNPWayne

CNPWayne

Board Sponsor
Awards
My buddy called my soup the best he's ever had. In front of his own mother. Since she's Ukranian, I've never left her house without being so full I couldn't tie my shoes, so that's worth something to me. Here's how I made my recent batch:

Grab your largest pot, stick in two turkey carcasses. A gallon ziplock of leftover bones from ordering wings works great too. The more joints the better.
Add 4 large onions. Whole. Don't even peel them. Throw in a pound or two of carrots, same treatment.
Fill the pot to about the 3/4 point with water for now. Get it to boil, add in some more water to get everything under, turn it down to a simmer, and stick a lid on it.
Toss the bones. Add the meat back in, peel and chop up the onions and carrots. Add a whole bag of chopped up celery. Now's the time to throw in any extra chicken, bones removed, you can fit. Add water enough to submerge everything again if necessary.
Add in salt until it tastes perfect, then add a little more. Maybe six tablespoons of black pepper. Eyeball this stuff, it's just soup.
Enjoy.
That **** sounds pretty awesome! I like you measuring system about the same as mine..... that looks like enough hahaha!

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Kangaroo chili

I made this with 5kg of roo mince, which I picked up from the local butchers for $25.
5400kcal, 1110g protein, 60g carbs, 65g fats
6 servings = 900kcal, 185g protein, 10g carbs, 11g fats
Perfect for people dieting down... some people will want the fattiest ground beef they can get their hands on

Ingredients:
5kg ground kangaroo
3 medium onions, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 large tomatoes
Half bottle tomato purée
1 1/2 cups broth (I had kangaroo broth from a spiced stew I made)
6T chili powder
4T cumin
2T oregano
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp pepper
Olive oil

Saute the onions in the oil in a large pot. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then add the meat and garlic and cook until brown

Add tomato pureé, tomatoes, broth and spices. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer 1-2 hours.

Enjoy! Makes 6 large servings.
I think a tablespoon of vegemite would have done it good as well personally after tasting it
Some bell peppers would have made it great also

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
This is what it looked liked, served with garlic and chilli sautéed broccoli and cauliflower and some Mexican chipolte sauce

Nausea

Nausea

Awards

Enjoy.
I've made this three times now. This is ****ing amazing stuff. Thanks!

AchillesWrath

Awards
Here's an easy slow-cooker/crockpot recipe:

2 Onions, chopped
3lbs meat, cubed (I've used pork tenderloin, or a mix of pork and stewing beef, it doesn't matter)
2 cups sauerkraut, drained and rinsed (make sure it's not "vinegared" sauerkraut)
1 whole cabbage, chopped
6 oz dried mushrooms, rehydrated in boiling water (keep the liquid)
1 cup beef broth
8 oz fresh mushrooms
2 tsp ground caraway seed
2 bay leaves
1 TBSP Marjoram

I usually throw in the onions, 1 tsp caraway seed, the meat, the bay leaves, the sauerkraut, the mushrooms (fresh and drained ones), the marjoram, the chopped cabbage, pour in the beef broth and about 1 cup mushroom liquid and top it with the remaining caraway seed. Throw a lid on it, put that bastard on high for 6 hours, then turn to low for 2 hours. Eat. Be happy.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That sounds good. I might try that but with the vinegar and some ketchup and barley per my uncle's sweet and sour soup.

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
Got out of work early for a hell of a lot of snow. Let's make...

Three Scotch Chili
6lbs 90% ground beef
2.5lbs hot pork sausages, FROZEN
2 large jars of peppers of choice
32oz canned beans
12oz tomato puree
1 small jar diced garlic
1 container chili powder
Scotch

Pour a scotch. You've had a hard day.
Dump entire contents of peppers into pot on med/high. I use crushed hot cherry and jalapeno.
Dump in that garlic.
Dump all the beef in. Stir this occasionally with a big wooden spoon.
Slice sausages up the middle, then cut into discs. If they weren't frozen or your knife's dull, it sucks to be you.
Fry those in a pan to a dark brown on both sides. The sausage part is a labor of love, so hang back and enjoy the scotch. Add to the pot.
Refill your scotch.
Dump in chili powder and stir.
Dump beans into pot. I aimed for high fiber (lowers carb content)- pinto and black.
Dump in tomato puree.
Add any spices you like. I went hog wild with cinnamon, turmeric, black pepper, and roasted ginger.
Stir.
Scotch.

Technically, you can eat this right now and should do so if necessary. But it's totally better if you watch a Tony Jaa flick while it simmers in its own flavors before you dig in.

Excluding the scotch, we're looking at ~$35 for some 9lbs of food.

AchillesWrath

Awards
My version of Medieval Stew

3lbs venison or stewing beef
2 onions, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
2 medium turnips or 1 swede (rutabaga) cubed
8 oz - 16 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup red wine or dark beer (e.g. Guiness)
2 sprigs FRESH rosemary, chopped finely
1 small bunch FRESH parsley, chopped
Salt & Pepper

Throw it all in the crockpot on low for 8hrs.
Drink the rest of the beer.

Nausea

Nausea

Awards
soup is so good had to give props. I have tweaked it recently by adding ground clove and a whole thing of fresh parsley.

CNPJamie

CNPJamie

Awards
CNPJamie

CNPJamie

Awards
My version of Medieval Stew

3lbs venison or stewing beef
2 onions, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
2 medium turnips or 1 swede (rutabaga) cubed
8 oz - 16 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup red wine or dark beer (e.g. Guiness)
2 sprigs FRESH rosemary, chopped finely
1 small bunch FRESH parsley, chopped
Salt & Pepper

Throw it all in the crockpot on low for 8hrs.
Drink the rest of the beer.
Why not just throw the whole ber in?

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established

AchillesWrath

Awards
Why not just throw the whole ber in?
You could. Just make sure you have more to drink. It's a long day waiting for it to be ready. Just make sure it's a stout, like Guiness, not some Budweiser garbage. You could reduce the amount of broth too, if it's too soupy. I would say thicken it with a grated potato, but it's "Medieval" and the potato wasn't introduced to Europe until the mid to late 16th century.

CNPWayne

CNPWayne

Board Sponsor
Awards
You could. Just make sure you have more to drink. It's a long day waiting for it to be ready. Just make sure it's a stout, like Guiness, not some Budweiser garbage. You could reduce the amount of broth too, if it's too soupy. I would say thicken it with a grated potato, but it's "Medieval" and the potato wasn't introduced to Europe until the mid to late 16th century.
If you don't have two weeks worth of boozes on hand you have failed at life!!! hahaha!

byukid

Awards
My standard has always been:

2 yellow or sweet onions, halved, placed flat down in crock pot
1 beef roast, covered with Penzey's bbq seasoning
1 c. beef broth
diced veggies (carrots, celery, onions that have been softened in some oil)
garlic (a lot, can be raw or cooked with the other veggies)
1 big can of stewed tomatoes
2-3 drops of liquid smoke

cook for 8 hours on low, remove beef and shred, return and cook for 4-6 hours on low.

The other chicken one I've been using is:

as much chicken as I can fit
salsa
hot sauce

cook for 8 hours, remove chicken, shred, return and let cook until it's all together.

Triton64

Triton64

Awards
Found some marinated tandoori chicken meat on sale at the store, decided to use it as stew meat.

That **** is spicy but damn is that a good ****ing stew.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
42oz tomato to 2lbs beef? That's just a meaty tomato soup. I do dig that it's got coffee in it, though. Aside from being an underused flavor, caffeinated foods are awesome.
I think I doubled the meat and halved the tomatoes
I chucked in maybe 4 tomatoes, diced and squeezed in maybe the 1/4 bottle of puree I had left

CNPJamie

CNPJamie

Awards
As I'm currently a quite lean 205, I'll be bulking to 230 over the next couple of months (I realized I don't eat nearly enough), and this is going to be a staple of my diet: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/slow_cooker_guinness_stew/

Slow Cooker Guinness Stew Recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours, 30 minutes
Yield: Serves 6-8.
These instructions are for making the stew in a slow cooker. If you don't have a slow cooker and would prefer to make the stew in the oven, cook everything in a large Dutch oven. After you add the liquid, bring it to a simmer on the stovetop then put it, tightly covered, in a 225°F oven for 6 hours (or a 300°F oven for 4 hours).

INGREDIENTS
2 Tbsp butter
2 pounds well marbled chuck beef roast, cut into 2-inch pieces
Salt
2 cups chopped onion
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 pint (16 ounces) Guinness stout (we used Extra Stout)
3 cups beef broth
2 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
2-3 parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
1 pound young turnips, peeled and cut into chunks
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)

METHOD
1. Heat the butter in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Brown the beef in the butter, starting with the fattiest pieces of meat, fat side down in the pan. This will allow some beef fat to render out. Work in batches as to not crowd the pan. Sprinkle salt over the beef as it browns. Once browned on all sides, transfer the beef pieces into the slow cooker.

2. Add the onions and celery to the pan in which you just browned the beef. Sauté the onions and celery until they begin to brown at the edges, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and mix well. Cook for a minute or two, then add a little of the Guinness, enough to make it easier for you to scrape up any browned bits at the bottom of the pan. Transfer the celery and onions into the slow cooker.

3. Add the rest of the Guinness, the beef broth, carrots, parsnips, turnips, and thyme to the slow cooker. Add two teaspoons of salt. Cover and cook on "high" for 4 hours, or "low" for 8 hours. When done, add more salt to taste. If you want, sprinkle with fresh parsley to serve.

Justin_p

Justin_p

Awards
Son of a b!!!tch, Jamie, you're going to be as wide as you are f^ck!ng tall by the end of the year!

Justin_p

Justin_p

Awards
I'm going to try one out in a few hours. I'll get back to you.

Justin_p

Justin_p

Awards
Anyone have a go to Borscht recipe?
I used this recipe with a few modifications: Borscht Recipe | Simply Recipes

1. I more than doubled the meat in the recipe.
2. Veal Shanks were on sale so I used those.
3. Instead of using sour cream, I use Cabot whole fat, unflavored greek yogurt. It tastes a lot like sour cream and it's much higher in protein.
4. I didn't skim the fat. There wasn't much and there was also a lot of marrow from the shank bones. I didn't want to loose that.

It was pretty good, a lighter soup/stew than what I'm used to eating but it turned out well. Apparently, Beets are just about the best food to get lots of NO in your diet.

So, for the past two months, I've been on a stew and soup tear. It's easy to make two or three and have at least lunch and dinner for the entire week. A few things that seem almost constant, no matter what recipes I try are the following:

1. Double the meat. Always, and at least.
2. At least triple all spices, herbs or garlic, especially if you're cooking with some gamey-smelling lamb
3. Use fresh herbs. Big difference. Plus, they're not that expensive.
4. Careful with increasing the vegetables. It'll water down the flavors and thickness in the stew/soup. See 2 and 3.
5. Cook lower temp and longer than the recipe says.
5. Eat it at least a day later. It's always better after sitting in the fridge.

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
Nice. Can always throw in some oxtail to fill it out or use to make the broth. It's generally plenty cheap.

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
It's kind of unusual to see a soup made primarily of celery. I'll have to give it a go.

CNPJamie

CNPJamie

Awards
Nausea

Nausea

Awards
it's good stuff... usually I serve it over rice. I'm pretty bad about following recipes (prefer to wing it) but I recommend following this one exactly the first time you make it.

Nausea

Nausea

Awards
I used this recipe with a few modifications: Borscht Recipe | Simply Recipes

1. I more than doubled the meat in the recipe.
2. Veal Shanks were on sale so I used those.
3. Instead of using sour cream, I use Cabot whole fat, unflavored greek yogurt. It tastes a lot like sour cream and it's much higher in protein.
4. I didn't skim the fat. There wasn't much and there was also a lot of marrow from the shank bones. I didn't want to loose that.

It was pretty good, a lighter soup/stew than what I'm used to eating but it turned out well. Apparently, Beets are just about the best food to get lots of NO in your diet.

So, for the past two months, I've been on a stew and soup tear. It's easy to make two or three and have at least lunch and dinner for the entire week. A few things that seem almost constant, no matter what recipes I try are the following:

1. Double the meat. Always, and at least.
2. At least triple all spices, herbs or garlic, especially if you're cooking with some gamey-smelling lamb
3. Use fresh herbs. Big difference. Plus, they're not that expensive.
4. Careful with increasing the vegetables. It'll water down the flavors and thickness in the stew/soup. See 2 and 3.
5. Cook lower temp and longer than the recipe says.
5. Eat it at least a day later. It's always better after sitting in the fridge.
borscht turned out amazing... bit of a pain in the ass to make, good call on using greek yogurt instead of sour cream, did the same thing.