TuT, Keto, and ____ hypertrophy

D

DoctorViking

Awards
Could someone please link me some resources on the specific type of hypertrophy that is utilized by the low reps/ low rest system that is CnP?
One of the earlier posts I read by Jamie mentioned some research that backed up this system for hypertrophy. He also mentioned some research in Time under Tension backing up this system, but I think I remembered a specific term of "_____ hypertrophy" for low reps/ low rest, but I cant remember what it was and having that term would point me to the resources I need.

PS:
I think a Keto diet as the Jamie's predator diet is synergistic with this method of training, as the typical 6-12 rep range would be calling on glucose stores for energy (which one does not have), while 1-3 reps with < 60 seconds rest would just be calling on ATP/CP directly. Does someone in Keto produce ATP faster then someone not in keto?

I feel more research needs to be done with low reps on Keto. Cylic keto in particular.

CNPWayne

CNPWayne

Board Sponsor
Awards
Could someone please link me some resources on the specific type of hypertrophy that is utilized by the low reps/ low rest system that is CnP?
One of the earlier posts I read by Jamie mentioned some research that backed up this system for hypertrophy. He also mentioned some research in Time under Tension backing up this system, but I think I remembered a specific term of "_____ hypertrophy" for low reps/ low rest, but I cant remember what it was and having that term would point me to the resources I need.

PS:
I think a Keto diet as the Jamie's predator diet is synergistic with this method of training, as the typical 6-12 rep range would be calling on glucose stores for energy (which one does not have), while 1-3 reps with < 60 seconds rest would just be calling on ATP/CP directly. Does someone in Keto produce ATP faster then someone not in keto?

I feel more research needs to be done with low reps on Keto. Cylic keto in particular.
I will get you some Journal information tonight. Scientifically Hypertrophy happens from the 3-5 rep to failure range. Basically if you fail in that range you are in Hypertrophy. Strength happens in the 5-8 range and endurance happens in the 9-12 range.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I will get you some Journal information tonight. Scientifically Hypertrophy happens from the 3-5 rep to failure range. Basically if you fail in that range you are in Hypertrophy. Strength happens in the 5-8 range and endurance happens in the 9-12 range.
Muscular hypertrophy occurs in a lower rep range than strength gains?

CNPWayne

CNPWayne

Board Sponsor
Awards
It is more complicated than that as it has more to do with volume of work. This little simple study shows that.

After 10 weeks of training, the quadriceps muscle volume increased by a statistically significant degree in all groups, but the 80% x 3 sets and 30% x 3 sets protocols showed more than double the average hypertrophy of the 80% x 1 set condition (80% x 3 = 7.2%, 30% x 3 = 6.8%, 80% x 1 = 3.2%).

Burd NA, et al. Low-load high volume resistance exercise stimulates muscle protein synthesis more than high-load low volume resistance exercise in young men. PLoS One 5: e12033, 2010.

CNPWayne

CNPWayne

Board Sponsor
Awards
So there is evidence both ways. This is the chaos and pain idea of do what you like and what works for you and do that **** heavy! Doing what you enjoy will ultimately make you a better lifter!

It appears that Low reps are effective in stimulating myofibrillar hypertrophy. Myofibrillar hypertrophy is an increase in the number and size of the actin and myosin filaments within muscle tissue. This type of hypertrophy is accompanied by strength gains since it involves an increase in the contractile tissue (Zatsiorsky, 2006).

Zatsiorsky V.M., W. Kraemer (2006) Science and Practice of Strength Training (2nd edition). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is more complicated than that as it has more to do with volume of work. This little simple study shows that.

After 10 weeks of training, the quadriceps muscle volume increased by a statistically significant degree in all groups, but the 80% x 3 sets and 30% x 3 sets protocols showed more than double the average hypertrophy of the 80% x 1 set condition (80% x 3 = 7.2%, 30% x 3 = 6.8%, 80% x 1 = 3.2%).

Burd NA, et al. Low-load high volume resistance exercise stimulates muscle protein synthesis more than high-load low volume resistance exercise in young men. PLoS One 5: e12033, 2010.
I am aware of this study. It compared 30% vs 80% intensity leg extensions to failure and demonstrated that given enough volume, even low intensity exercises can stimulate hypertrophy. This doesn't support that muscular growth occurs in a lower rep range than relative strength

Seems most people go 8-12 for hypertrophy and 1-3 for power/ maximal strength.
Yes, this was what I was alluding to. :)

CNPWayne

CNPWayne

Board Sponsor
Awards
I am aware of this study. It compared 30% vs 80% intensity leg extensions to failure and demonstrated that given enough volume, even low intensity exercises can stimulate hypertrophy. This doesn't support that muscular growth occurs in a lower rep range than relative strength

Yes, this was what I was alluding to. :)
The main problem I see is that people do not make use of their Golgi Tendon Organs (deep muscle neurotendinous spindle) to recruit enough muscle fibers doing 8-12 reps. If you are not recruiting 100% of your muscles fibers for said lift then how can you effectively grow said muscle? Fun question to pose there.

SuffolkLifter

SuffolkLifter

Awards
Hypertrophy can happen in a very wide range of reps. I don't even believe reps are a primary factor in programming... try reducing your rest pauses between low rep sets and you'll see what I am getting at.

What matters far more is total volume, the weight used (as a % or 1RM) and the perceived intensity applied to each set (too little = poor growth stimulus, too much = burn out before enough volume is achieved)

This is worth a read:

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/nonfunctionalmyth.html

D

DoctorViking

Awards
They didnt look at 1-3?

The problem with these studies seem to be that they never compare high load/ high volume to high load/ low volume.
Most times when "high load" routines are tested, they lower the volume way too much (IMO)

Hypertrophy can happen in a very wide range of reps. I don't even believe reps are a primary factor in programming... try reducing your rest pauses between low rep sets and you'll see what I am getting at.

What matters far more is total volume, the weight used (as a % or 1RM) and the perceived intensity applied to each set (too little = poor growth stimulus, too much = burn out before enough volume is achieved)

This is worth a read:

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/nonfunctionalmyth.html
That is what I was thinking.
To motivate me to constantly keep my rest periods as short as possible, I have started using a tally counter in the gym that I attach to my wallet chain.

Every time I finish a set of 1-3 reps, I press my tally counter for the number of reps I just did, and I pound out some more reps (in the 1-3 rep range) as soon as I get my breath back.
Some times I rest 60 seconds in between sets, some times I rest 10 seconds in between "sets".
Yesterdsay, I did 80 reps in the 1-3 range.

Total tonnage moved within an hour period likely matters more than anything else, but I haven't found much to back that up other then my own personal short term experimentation.

Also, for someone on in ketosis, wouldn't a typical hypertrophy range of 5-15 place one in a state where they are trying to produce ATP from glucose they do not have?

The main problem I see is that people do not make use of their Golgi Tendon Organs (deep muscle neurotendinous spindle) to recruit enough muscle fibers doing 8-12 reps. If you are not recruiting 100% of your muscles fibers for said lift then how can you effectively grow said muscle? Fun question to pose there.
A good point.
8-12 does recruit 100% of your muscle fibers, but only in the last couple of reps.
Why not just skip the foreplay and bang out as many reps that recruit as many muscle fibers as possible as often as possible?

G

gil

Awards
All I know is that yesterday when I did 10 singles with <1min rest between them at 2.2*BW (maybe 90%+ of my true 1RM) that it feels ****ing amazing. I'm on keto and fully agree that for optimum strength gains while staying lean it's the only way to go. Don't need any paper to tell me how I feel!

CNPWayne

CNPWayne

Board Sponsor
Awards
All I know is that yesterday when I did 10 singles with <1min rest between them at 2.2*BW (maybe 90%+ of my true 1RM) that it feels ****ing amazing. I'm on keto and fully agree that for optimum strength gains while staying lean it's the only way to go. Don't need any paper to tell me how I feel!
It helps on Keto probably due to the calorie/Carb Deficit. Maximum Intensity with Lower total Volume.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
volume = hypertrophy
imo, doesn't matter what rep range it's in
in fact, I get the best hypertrophy when I do something different, like a new exercise or rep range or whatever

CNPCharles

CNPCharles

Awards
volume = hypertrophy
imo, doesn't matter what rep range it's in
in fact, I get the best hypertrophy when I do something different, like a new exercise or rep range or whatever
I'm with this guy. As long as you're not sitting on your ass for 20 minutes between every set, total volume matters way more.

See: Oly lifters.

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
I responded to this request on facebook, but it looks like it'll do more good here:

"By shortening one's rest periods, one can actually induce sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, as it places a greater load on the muscles over a given period of time. Staley proved the efficacy of such a method with Escalating Density Training, and John Little and Peter Sisco unwittingly contributed to this theory with their Time Under Tension theory."

http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2009/09/ask-*******-2.html?zx=bb0097033722ab14