Poll: Dirty or Clean Bulk????

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Dirty Bulk or CLean Bulk....?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.

Dirty Bulk or CLean Bulk....?

So I am on the verge of just saying screw it and starting a full out bulk. It will be as clean as possible, but with the way my life is right now I can't make any gurantees... I am tired of trying to stay super clean and end up putting myself in a deficit. My life right now will just not let me sit there and count calories on fitday all day. Plus, its the winter, so I will bulk until maybe bulk until may, and then start cutting for the summer.

So my question is how many of you guys just do a full out bulk. I know there are some...
    Armed to the teeth.

2. Recovering AXoholic
    Board Sponsor

I personally do not bulk. Not a believer in this concept, really.

I don't really think it's necessary to "supercompensate" yourself with extra Calories to build muscle.

I am a firm believer that increases in muscle mass are environmentally maintained/influenced, and dietarily limited. This means that muscle is built due to biological need (or chemical 'assistance') but is limited by caloric intake.

Once you've consumed "enough", there's no benefit in consuming more than "enough". The concept of bulking, regardless of whether or not it's "dirty", "clean", or if you're a Christina Aguilera fan "dirrty" is based on the idea of supercompensation, whereby you are consuming more than "enough".
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  3. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

From now on I think I will just "clean" bulk . I have done "dirty" bulks in the past and All it does is make cutting back down harder. Whats the point of gaining 30lbs in 12 weeks when your just going to try and lose 20-30lbs in 12 weeks to be shredded again?

When in the first place you could have just went for the lean mass the whole time and be a lean 12-15lbs heavier. I know people want to eat whatever sometimes but, like verything in life, moderation is key.

You get what Im saying?
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  193 lbs.

distilled water makes a very good point, i totally agree with what you said.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    I personally do not bulk. Not a believer in this concept, really.

I don't really think it's necessary to "supercompensate" yourself with extra Calories to build muscle.

I am a firm believer that increases in muscle mass are environmentally maintained/influenced, and dietarily limited. This means that muscle is built due to biological need (or chemical 'assistance') but is limited by caloric intake.

Once you've consumed "enough", there's no benefit in consuming more than "enough". The concept of bulking, regardless of whether or not it's "dirty", "clean", or if you're a Christina Aguilera fan "dirrty" is based on the idea of supercompensation, whereby you are consuming more than "enough".
    So what is "enough?" I mean I, like a lot of people, don't have the time or patience to sit their and count out 100 calories above maintenance, just to not gain a thing after wards if that was not "enough."

It has been said that Lou Ferigno use to just eat everything in sight to bulk up...and he had a pretty impressive physique. For instance, look at Norwegian on this board. He was massive before his cut, and he said he just stuffed himself all day...

Im not saying that I will go to McDonalds 4 times a day. Im just saying that I would rather over estimate the amount of calories I am taking in rather than underestimate....
    Armed to the teeth.
  6. Registered User

depending on if your using anabolics er not, if your all natural i think the best way to do it is only go over by bout 300 to 500 calories of your maintance, consistency is key
  7. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by manifesto View Post
    So what is "enough?" I mean I, like a lot of people, don't have the time or patience to sit their and count out 100 calories above maintenance, just to not gain a thing after wards if that was not "enough."

It has been said that Lou Ferigno use to just eat everything in sight to bulk up...and he had a pretty impressive physique. For instance, look at Norwegian on this board. He was massive before his cut, and he said he just stuffed himself all day...

Im not saying that I will go to McDonalds 4 times a day. Im just saying that I would rather over estimate the amount of calories I am taking in rather than underestimate....
    I believe he was also on a few AAS runs, That makes a huge difference also.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    I believe he was also on a few anabolic steroids runs, That makes a huge difference also.
    He as in Norwegian or Lou?
    Armed to the teeth.
  9. Registered User

Try concerning yourself with tracking your macros more than calories. After a while while bulking you can estimate a bit more and not have to weigh everything. If you know an 8oz salmon steak grills down to about 7oz you know you're getting 49g P and about 17.5g F.

Check out the Lean Mass Diet at www.scivationbooks.com

It gives you portion sizes for each calorie plan. I've used it twice and loved it. Of course a couple of cheats a week keep you sane.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.

I have the e-book...I have been meaning to read it. Maybe I will start that tonight.
    Armed to the teeth.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.

i dirty bulk like crazy. kinda embarrassed to say this, but i begin my morning with 3 cups of 1/2 and 1/2. 1k free calories baby. but it makes sure i'm taking in way over what i need. the ONLY joy of being a hardgainer, is we can have a crappy diet without worrying about fat. of course, we have to have most of our meals in check if we ever want to gain.... but its better that than having to go on cutting cycles.
  12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    i dirty bulk like crazy. kinda embarrassed to say this, but i begin my morning with 3 cups of 1/2 and 1/2. 1k free calories baby. but it makes sure i'm taking in way over what i need. the ONLY joy of being a hardgainer, is we can have a crappy diet without worrying about fat. of course, we have to have most of our meals in check if we ever want to gain.... but its better that than having to go on cutting cycles.
    The dirty bulk might be good for your physique, but it could have some negative aspects on your overall health. Just make sure you stay away from too much processed foods, and you should be ok though.
  13. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by manifesto View Post
    He as in Norwegian or Lou?
    Well both now that I think of it,lol (forgot about Lou) I know Norwegian talked of M1T if im not mistaken
  14. Registered User

Clean bulk for body composition and health as well.

Dirty bulking feels like sh!t.
  15. Cub
    Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  218 lbs.

JUST EAT :donut:
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  .5 lbs.

Depends if you are 'on' and what body type you are (i.e. Ecto, Endo, Meso). I'm surprised no one mentioned that.

I am a Endo so I only clean bulk, whereas my friend is a hardcore Ecto, and he eats fast food all day long, just to lose it all in about 3 weeks. He has a hard time gaining weight. Just depends on your body's composition.
  17. Registered User

I'd say in between, i.e. part dirty part clean. If you keep to a very strict diet for maintenance and cutting, then why not enjoy yourself while you bulk? I've seen my best results by bulking "dirty" as most people say. Although I always stay away from heavily processed foods and fast food.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabisco View Post
    I'd say in between, i.e. part dirty part clean. If you keep to a very strict diet for maintenance and cutting, then why not enjoy yourself while you bulk? I've seen my best results by bulking "dirty" as most people say. Although I always stay away from heavily processed foods and fast food.
    Yea, this is what I am talking about.
    Armed to the teeth.
  19. Banned

I agree with last two post.I have a physical job and a high metabolism,so i need the extra calories.The biggest and strongest guy at my gym has a bit of a gut.Arms are vascular and every muscle is huge,and he obvisouly puts up some pretty good numbers.I bet he enjoys his food,and lots of it
  20. Registered User

I find it hard to get in a surplus of calories so I was wondering if anyone who bulks switches from whole grains like rice, oats, barley, to more like white pasta flours because they are less filling.
  21. Banned

I do have spaghetti and hamburger helper,but whole eggs instead of eggwhites and beef instead of chicken will up your cals a lot.I mainly eat oats to hopefully keep fat levels lower.Healthy foods are more filling for some reason,sometimes i get to where i cant eat anymore,but i'm not realy full,just no desire and dry mouth.But if it's some good greasy fatty food or just damn good,i can get uncomftorably full fast and easy,and then BAM,i start to grow.Just bought muscle juice by ultimate nutrition,990 cals,18 fat,152 carbs,55 prot,been drinking two a day,along with a fast food combo(water or diet coke)for like 6 of the past 7 days,don't plan on cutting back for a while either
  22. Registered User

I dirty bulked my way to 190 from 155, and I am not even close to being called fat; in fact, I am really happy with what has happened. Of course, I stayed away from the **** that doesn't have ANY good stuff in it like say soda or random ass sweets.. but you can bet your asses that the rest of the stuff I was eating included burgers and fries... during this time I did NO cardio... but here is my question: Should I have done cardio once in a while? when should i start.. i guess i am pretty fortunate to have been given my metabolism even though right now i have been trying my best to CLEAN BULK..
  23. Registered User

You Definitly want to clean bulk...Consider your bulking diet to be just like a cutting diet with bigger portions. And you can have your 2 days of cheat meals on days you dont train...Whats the point of gaining a lot of fat when it all has to come off at some point anyway...
  24. Registered User

And just do cardio 2 or 3 times a week to keep your metabolism going and your heart strong
  25. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Grinman07 View Post
    ...Whats the point of gaining a lot of fat when it all has to come off at some point anyway...
    ..when we sleep, our fat reserves are used when muscle tissue is being repaired.. ant that's why.. of course, you don't want to eat ****ty foods, but you want a little fat.. that's the good kind
  26. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grinman07 View Post
    You Definitly want to clean bulk...Consider your bulking diet to be just like a cutting diet with bigger portions. And you can have your 2 days of cheat meals on days you dont train...Whats the point of gaining a lot of fat when it all has to come off at some point anyway...
    I'm guessing you have a slow metabolism.Arnold clearly has a fast metabolism as do i.I could have written his post about eating fast food,staying away from sweets etc....I don't get truly fat.At my heaviest,if i have on a t-shirt,it would be a coin toss if you were guessing if i had ripped abs or not.This my friend is not fat.We need the extra cals to grow,staying somewhat lean is proof.
  27. Registered User

bingo!
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  218 lbs.

I have a pretty decent metabolism but put on fat pretty easy. But what I've discovered is that I can't gain even muscle weight if I don't have some sort of "dirty" calories in there each day. If I eat completely clean I can't get enough calories in with each meal. And when I eat dirtier I don't mean Mcdonalds, I mean a good higher fat burger at home, or some mashed white potatoes, stuff that I normally wouldn't eat if I'm trying to cut up.
  29. Registered User

dude.. that's completely fine... this is just your bulking phase.. you need CALORIES to grow!! besides, you're not going to be eating like this forever... it is next to impossible to add on lean muscle if you're already cut and at a certain weight.. the body is just not used to growing.. you have to force growth and CALORIES will allow you to do this...
  30. Registered User

If you have been cutting for a while then you will gain muscle quickly as you raise your calories. The best thing to do would be run a clean or dirty bulk for 12 weeks. Cut for 6 to 8 weeks, then run the other type of bulk for 12 weeks. Then you'll see which works best for you. It's not like you are going to retire after this bulk.

For me I know that clean bulking is most effective. I gain less fat and most importantly I have less cravings while cutting especially for a contest.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Went from GOMAD BULK to "clean Bulk" help!
    By manicstudio in forum Bulking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-21-2011, 09:03 AM
  2. keep cutting or start a clean bulk?
    By Natural beast in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-09-2011, 05:25 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-18-2009, 09:27 PM
  4. Clean Bulk or Cut?
    By Doug8796 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 9