Helping a Freshman get bigger

Laxislife1265

Awards
Ok so im a small kid. Or at least i think so. Im sort of skinny but have a bit of muscle. I was wondering what i need to eat to put on muscle mass but keep fat off. I am not on a whey supplement right now but i am thinking of starting my lifting routine again along with varsity wrestling practice 5 days a week and a tournament or meet. My stats are...
14 yrs old
5'10"
Weight in between 124 - 140
Bench 160 x 1
Curl 25 x 10 (both arms) or 30 x 5
Squat 275 x 5

I want to get to about 150 at least while keeping it to strict muscle gain and no fat. Im also ok with the idea of gaining a little bit of fat along with muscle and burning the fat off later. Right now im about 9%-14% body fat depending on whether im trying to make weight for a wrestling meet/tournament.

My goal is to get a bigger arms, chest, abs and shoulders. Im not terribly concerned about legs.

What I need to know is... what to eat, how much to eat, what workouts should i do, and how often.

Laxislife1265

Awards
my legs are already pretty strong and what i need for wrestling is mostly upper body strength. Come lacrosse season i will start reconditioning my legs. Also i failed to mention im not interested in taking any supplements besides my multi vitamins and Whey protein.

Jet

Awards
  • Established
Legs are an essential part of your overall body composition, and overall strength. Squats and deads increase natural test production, and incorporate a huge amount of muscles during execution.

Everybody who says they don't care about legs ends up doing them 6 months later anyway, and regrets being so far behind. Save yourself the hassle :D

drksun

drksun

Banned
Awards
  • Established
my legs are already pretty strong and what i need for wrestling is mostly upper body strength. Come lacrosse season i will start reconditioning my legs. Also i failed to mention im not interested in taking any supplements besides my multi vitamins and Whey protein.
that will change with time, it's inevitable.

smoundzou

smoundzou

Awards
Unless you're a very patient person, bulking up with minimal fat is not an easy task. The bottom line to this question is, you're going to have to eat above your daily maintainance calories.. The first thing you need to do is find out what your daily maintainace calories are and then add about 300-500 extra calories daily.. start off slow, by adding about 200 or so and them gradually work your way up not exceding 500. Regarding the best way to avoid fat.. That all depends on how your body reacts to your macronutrient levels... unformtunaltly that will be a trial and error....

Avoid bad fats and try to get plenty of lean white meat, veggies and complex carbs..

Ok so im a small kid. Or at least i think so. Im sort of skinny but have a bit of muscle. I was wondering what i need to eat to put on muscle mass but keep fat off. I am not on a whey supplement right now but i am thinking of starting my lifting routine again along with varsity wrestling practice 5 days a week and a tournament or meet. My stats are...
14 yrs old
5'10"
Bench 160 x 1
Squat 275 x 5

I want to get to about 150 at least while keeping it to strict muscle gain and no fat. Im also ok with the idea of gaining a little bit of fat along with muscle and burning the fat off later. Right now im about 9%-14% body fat depending on whether im trying to make weight for a wrestling meet/tournament.

My goal is to get a bigger arms, chest, abs and shoulders. Im not terribly concerned about legs.

What I need to know is... what to eat, how much to eat, what workouts should i do, and how often.

Laxislife1265

Awards
Ok thanks thats pretty much all i need to know right?

sreed11

sreed11

Awards
  • Established
Well i'm sure everybody is glad that you aren't looking into any supplement cause believe it or not kids come on here that are you age asking everybody on here what kind of steroids they can take (they dont know they're steroids).

Legs and back are essential to any physique. I know you think you're legs are strong now because they are a great deal above your bench but usually you should have you squats be a decent amount higher than bench. I know you may not think you use your legs that much for wrestling but you'd be surprised. The legs are the key to so much explosion and stamina in wrestling. Because think about it, when you wrestling, are you ever standing straight up? no right. which means once you attack your opponent or visa verse you legs will be bent and then explosion will start from your legs and mid section. Look into some core exercises, they're not hard to come about. they help your ability to balance and for me help alot with holding my own when being hit. Mine is for a different sport, soccer. But typically the same concept. I used to get hit off the ball a lot but once i started doing good core exercises and getting low, it worked wonders and i was the strongest guy on the ball on the field. Of course it wasn't only due to core exercises but i could tell the difference.

what does your lifting schedule look like? also if you dont maintain back strength you'll shoulders will hunch forward after a good amount of time and you will look well.... retarded. give us some more info on what your diet looks like and training schedule and maybe we can help you out in more detail.

p.s. creatine aren't too bad to look into. maybe a weight gainer protein along with that if you find it hard to fit eating a lot into your schedule.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had a buddy who used to wrestle (and is now nationally ranked in judo). One thing he always told me was how legs are crucial for wrestling.

As a fellow (ex)lacrosse player, I might introduce you to my favorite exercise for building functional leg strength: split squats. Done similar to a regular squat, this time you have your back foot resting on a bench or chair (elevated surface), and your weight on your front foot. Excellent excellent exercise for sports like football or lacrosse in developing stability and power behind your stride.

Exercises I recommend:
-Military Press
-Cleans/Snatches
-Parallel Bar Dips
-Deadlifts
-Barbell Rows
-Pullups

Laxislife1265

Awards
ok well my diet is mostly made up of Grilled chicken wraps, Salads with tofu, carrots, grilled chicken, and egg whites. Thats my lunch* and for breakfast i generally have a big bowl of cereal and milk with a glass of water. Dinner for me varies. I lift Mondays Wednesdays and fridays. I bench one set of 10 @ 115, then a two sets of 8 @ 130 and finally one set of 4 @ 140. I curl two sets of 10 @ 25, then one set of 5 @ 30. I squat two sets of 10 @ 215. Then i go to one set of 5 @ 25o. Also i wrestle along with lacrosse, football, and tennis during summer. Practice for wrestling is usually jogging for about 30 minutes straight. Then pushups, leg lifts, situps, up downs, squats, and jump rope for 6 minutes. Then We drill. Also i meant to ask about creatine. What do I need to know. Alot of my friends refuse to take creatine and im also quite skeptical but ive heard and seen some impressive stuff so could somebody clear that up for me?

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you doing the same things each workout?

I would recommend trying to (each workout) beat your previous one. Whether it be more reps or more weight (move up in small, almost trivial increments).

You might also want to look into doing some other exercises. You're body is not going to properly develop by doing only squats, curls, and bench press. In time, it will screw up your physique, functionality, and joints.

Laxislife1265

Awards
I generally dont have enough time to do more. SInce i do lift during lunch but every other day i have longer to lift. So im going to be throwing in some shoulder complexes. But I thought that my wrestling would take care of most of my core strength.

rocksolid84

Awards
If you want to get bigger in general the main thing you have to do is eat. Now what you eat is just as important as eating. I recommed like good clean protein, and low glycemis or good carbs. A staple of mine when i was bulking was grilled chicken and brown rice. Btw unless your a vegitarian cut the tofu crap out, just on a side note tofu increases estrogen. If you want protein other than meats, look into nuts and bean they are rich sources of protein minus the estrogen. I started out when i was a freshman in high school at 120, and by the end of high school I was a sold 170. Then again growing had some to do with that but the main was eating right and lift. Try to think of a diet, like average about 30 grams of protein per meal, and eat about 6 meals a day, let me know what you come up with and then ill help shape it up. I dont know you tastes and preference so i cant tell you what to eat. I recommend, cottage cheese, milk, chicken, steak, egg whites, whole grain, OATMEAL , and things like that. Hope this helps, if you need anything else let me know

Laxislife1265

Awards
alright well i can generally get about 10 oz of steak a couple times a week for dinner. My mom usually will make a salad with grilled chicken for dinner as well. At the cafeteria in my school they have sandwiches and wraps and ill normally have a large bowl of special k for breakfast with a glass of milk. Along with a yogurt as a snack somtimes and possibly a granola bar

sreed11

sreed11

Awards
  • Established
eating big at school is hard. ever thought of making your lunch? the lunches at school are **** for building muscle.

OATMEAL! screw the cereal. oatmeal and 4 eggs... if you dont want the eggs no biggie. have a protein shake. eggs make me want to puke. some people cant take vanilla shakes... i cant take eggs unless they're in a burrito.

hit up the carbs bro. whole wheat bread is the way to go by the way. try and ditch the white bread. the greens with dinner sound good. see if maybe you're mom can put some rice into dinner and/or some more vegetables such as squash zucchini broccoli cauliflower.

Laxislife1265

Awards
Broccoli sounds good. About the rice. Im chinese so basicly every dinner we have rice. I just like to stay away from it sometimes because it fills me up easily. I actually love eggs so thats easy, but should i be eating whites, yolks or both? About the food at school. I normally get a special (which varies day to day usually rice or bread with some meat.) and a large sandwich full of salami, turkey, roast beef, lettuce, onion and tomato on a wheat roll.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Drop the lunchmeat. Too many preservatives. A lot of collagen in the protein content.

Laxislife1265

Awards
ok so should i go with the grilled chicken sandwiches/wraps instead?

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
ok so should i go with the grilled chicken sandwiches/wraps instead?
I would recommend it.

Turkey and Roast beef are good, but not the stuff that comes in packs of pre-sliced lunchmeat. Too many preservatives. Salami and Bolgna are the worst, in this regard.

rocksolid84

Awards
I would recommend it.

Turkey and Roast beef are good, but not the stuff that comes in packs of pre-sliced lunchmeat. Too many preservatives. Salami and Bolgna are the worst, in this regard.

A good thing to do is combine protein shakes and chicken, and such during the school day. Sunday you cook a ****load of chicken, and veggies, rice, whatever you want to and you pre-portion them in tupperware. This give you no preservative and the food that you wan t to eat and it is very convenient fo you. I did this al through high school, college was difficult, and do it at work, but i know it make you look a little weird i remember getting looks from kids a school, but hey when you can bench twice their weight they shut up real quick. Also i concur with the post above about lunch meats at school. They are loaded with preservative. Try fresh ones from shoprite or supermarket.

Laxislife1265

Awards
maybe ill get a fresh sandwich from a deli before school instead.

bigrabbit

Awards
yes i agree drop the lunchmeats and go with those wraps etc...

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
I would recommend it.

What about the packed Oscar Mayer Turkey Breast?

is that unhealthy?

I love the Honey Smoked Turkey..

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
14 yrs old
5'10"
Bench 160 x 1
Squat 275 x 5

Hey, finally some guys on here my age.

Are those full squats? If so, thats good for being 14.

If I wasnt such a baby last year about squats, maybe I would be bigger this year. Dont stop doing them. Just dont go below 90 degrees. Save for knees.

thesinner basically told you everything you needed to know.

squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows and military presses are your best friends.

keep the calories high, protein high, carbs high but colorful(wheat rice, pasta, bread) and fats healthy.

Right now, im eating ~3,200 kcals a day, and im eating easily 60g of fat a day, with 500g of carbs, and Im not gaing BF. Im actually looking more defined and all my core lifts are going up EVERY week. So basically, eat all you can. Our metabolism is our other best friend right now.

Im a sophomore right now, and eating in school is tough.

Try making chicken on a sunday for the whole week. Then, pack one for lunch and make some brown rice before school (pre-made rice tastes like crap, as well as pasta). Its a great meal with protein and carbs and low fat and high calories.

I have to give you props for NOT wanting supplements. That is a great mentality to have at a young age. Try to keep it that way for a long time. (I sure didn't)

Sorry for repeating old information already listed in this thread.

Good luck getting bigger bro.

EDIT: My training is also very intense. I keep my workouts under 35 minutes with HEAVY weight. Im seeing bigger numbers and more strength. I'll do a warmup set, then a set to "get used to" heavier weight" then perform 2 HEAVY sets for the excerise.

I'll do 2 exercises per body part. And 2-3 body parts per workout.

Hope this helps..

Shoot me a PM for more info on the routine if you like the idea.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What about the packed Oscar Mayer Turkey Breast?

is that unhealthy?

I love the Honey Smoked Turkey..
Well, it's going to contain a **** ton of sodium and preservatives.

Most of the lunchmeats that come packaged and pre-sliced are usually a conglomeration of turkey chunks cemented together with collagen/gelatin. Think of it as a giant "Turkey McNugget", that gets sent to a deli slicer.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
Well, it's going to contain a **** ton of sodium and preservatives.

Most of the lunchmeats that come packaged and pre-sliced are usually a conglomeration of turkey chunks cemented together with collagen/gelatin. Think of it as a giant "Turkey McNugget", that gets sent to a deli slicer.
crap, well what about Tuna?

can I swap the trurkey for tuna?

I just need the protein.

Laxislife1265

Awards
thanks so much for the help you guys. Im having a little trouble eating healthy and high amounts of food. Normally I can only get a little amount of healthy foods. Alot of it has to come from junk. But so far thats the only problem. The major problem i had was I actually didn't realize that i needed to eat that much. I always thought that i ate a lot. Which by normal standards I guess I did but thats because my body could handle all the food I ate. I just realized im going to have to eat alot more than my normal diet. Not just what people consider to be alot of food.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
thanks so much for the help you guys. Im having a little trouble eating healthy and high amounts of food. Normally I can only get a little amount of healthy foods. Alot of it has to come from junk. But so far thats the only problem. The major problem i had was I actually didn't realize that i needed to eat that much. I always thought that i ate a lot. Which by normal standards I guess I did but thats because my body could handle all the food I ate. I just realized im going to have to eat alot more than my normal diet. Not just what people consider to be alot of food.
Same with me bro. I thought I was eating tons of food, but it came out to only ~2,000 calories. It was a suprise, but I got on the right track once I knew what I was doing.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Lax,
Some thoughts I had - you need PROTEIN for breakfast - not just a sh*t-ton of carbs.

Have eggs/egg whites or something. Get 20+ grams.

Go to www.fitday.com and register for an account. Try to keep track for 3 days (2 weekdays and a weekend day) ALL the food/calories you take in.
Log it into Fitday.

Come back with the averages for calories, carbs, fats, protein.

That will help better troubleshoot, in my opinion.

Best of luck.
I started at about 130 lbs. Am 170 lbs now.
It can be done.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
It's because your activity level is pretty damn high. You'll need to take in MUCH more calories to build mass than someone like me - that just pretty much lifts weights.

Same goes for people your age that aren't as active in sports.