im retarded

cassiusclay

Awards
i hope that got your attention but serious. ive been 170lbs for over a year now even though i am gaining strength im not really gaining size. im 6'2 so even though im not a stick im still no where near the size i would like to be.

any advice on what i should do to my diet to change that?

cassiusclay

Awards
im descently cut i really dont have much body fat. i tried to even gain fat back when i played football and i couldnt.

im guessing thats why i cant gain muscle mass. my muscles just seem to become more tight than actually grow in size.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
You're not retarded...you're just special :thumbsup:

Always start with adding more protein. If you are lean and active, added carbs like oats is always a good move.

Fireproof

Fireproof

Awards
im descently cut i really dont have much body fat. i tried to even gain fat back when i played football and i couldnt.

im guessing thats why i cant gain muscle mass. my muscles just seem to become more tight than actually grow in size.

What is your current weight and caloric intake daily?

If you are not gaining weight on the scale, you are not getting bigger. It's as simple as that. So you need to eat more. A solid diet at about 15-20% surplus calories combined with solid training should have you growing.

But it sounds like you simply aren't eating above maintenance.

cassiusclay

Awards
haha thanks.

yea im taking whey protien so im guessing i need to throw some carbs in my diet. when i eat i stop before i get to the point were im bloated and full. should i eat more to go beyond that point.

cassiusclay

Awards
my bad. when you said whats it look like now i thought you were tlaking about my body.

to be honest i couldnt tell you my caloric intake. i try hard to eat a lot of meat. i never really eat any sugary foods.

i had always thought just take enough protien and creatine and ill be fine so yea i was pretty naive.

i really have no idea on what i should be eatting. i thought protien was all you needed. basicly i joined this forum b/c i realize if i want improvements then i need help.

your patience is appreciated b/c i know how clueless i am

Fireproof

Fireproof

Awards
my bad. when you said whats it look like now i thought you were tlaking about my body.

to be honest i couldnt tell you my caloric intake. i try hard to eat a lot of meat. i never really eat any sugary foods.

i had always thought just take enough protien and creatine and ill be fine so yea i was pretty naive.

i really have no idea on what i should be eatting. i thought protien was all you needed. basicly i joined this forum b/c i realize if i want improvements then i need help.

your patience is appreciated b/c i know how clueless i am

The above is the key right there. To diagnose problems with weightloss or weightgain, you need to know what you are eating. But even without counting, we can tell that your normal diet isn't sufficient enough to put on muscle since you've been stalled at 170 for a while.

So the easy way to go about it is to just add about 500 calories to your "normal meeting" through an extra meal or two or meal-replacement shakes or whatever.

Naturally, you'll want to make sure your pre- and post-workout nutrition is in order so that you are giving your body plenty of fuel for growth and repair.

No worries about being clueless. We all start somewhere.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
We all start somewhere...so true.

A few tips, first goto fitday.com and register for a free account. It's an awesome site that will help you figure out calories and macros.

Second, try to take in over 3000 cals per day to start. then slowly work your way higher. A good macro breakdown is 40 % protein, 40% carbs and 20% fats. 5-6 meals a day, spaced out pretty evenly is a good place to start.

Also, drinking 1.5+ gals of water a day will help out a lot.

Then read up, research and refine everything, that's what I did...

...I'm guessing you just aren't taking in enough calories as well.

cassiusclay

Awards
wow. fire proof and pumping iron thanks a lot. you both have a lot of patience and pretty much just told me what i need to know without me having to google **** and read an article from someone who has no experience just facts.

i greatly appreciate that.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
don't stop now bro...keep reading...

...I'm still learning

cassiusclay

Awards
oh believe me im no where near done. ive been working out for 3 years but obviously never seriously.

it was like a hobby kind of you know. it wasnt like it was a main focus but im going to make it my main focus from now on.

this site is great.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Things that I find really help:

Try to eat every 2-4 hours.

Don't eat "snacks", eat smaller portioned full meals.

Eat your f*cking Carbs. Eating some oats and brown rice for breakfast, lunch, and around your workout aren't gonna pudge you up like the idiots of South Beach and Atkins would have you believe. In fact, from my experience, this seems to keep the muslces bigger and looking fuller. During my last BB competition prep, I really undercarbed, and after eating carb-rich junk food over the rest of the weekend I actually looked a lot more fuller and cut.

cassiusclay

Awards
thanks sinner ill do that. that among other things is what i really wanted to know. like what to eat when to eat. stuff like that.

thanks for the help.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
common things you'll see the beasts on here eating are Skinless Chicken Breasts, Lean Beef, Fish, Canned tuna, turkey breast, cottage cheese, and eggs for protein sources. Whey's good, but I wouldn't recommend it as your primary means of getting protein.

Great sources of carbs would be oats, brown rice, and sweet potatoes or yams.

Around workout time(<45 minutes before,during,or right after), it's sometimes acceptable to get simpler carbohydrates into your system. I like to use gatorade or Waxy Maize starch.

Vegetables are also pretty important. spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts (not as bad as everyone says they are, especially if you grill and season them), kale, bok choy, tomotoes, peppers, and red cabbage are all great choices to take. Dark or colorful vegetables tend to have a lot more important nutrients than lighter ones. Not only will these supply you with great micronutrients, but they help you poop. :)

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
and if you hate your veggies, look into miracle greens at nutra, or some other replacement like greens+, emerald balance, etc.

i add them to my morning shake every day...

cassiusclay

Awards
yea that sounds good. im not big on veggies so thats probably what ill end up doing.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
another big guy on the board hates his veggies too, so he uses greens+

...god, what did people do before supplementation came around?

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
After you've steamed them a little bit, try grilling them on a hot skillet and topping with Mrs. Dash. F*cking delicious.