Decided to Bulk (Again)

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Hello all,

After about 3 years of bulking up 40lbs, I had a small cut at the beginning of the summer. WOW. All the muscle you put on has no meaning until you cut, I mean I looked good. All of my hard work payed off, I saw my three years of labor manifest into a great physique. So here I am going to bulk again. I decided to post my supplements and training regiment hopefully for criticism or to help others. Here we go

Muscle Milk
How I love to bulk because I can drink this sh*t. Tastes damn good and will pack the pounds on ya. I have the RTD's in C&C, Mocha Joe and Root Beer Float. I'll be drinking one after workouts, and on weekends to recover.

Nectar
Syntrax put out a damn good protein powder called Nectar. iced tea flavor for me. 1 scoop of this in the morning.

Black HOLE
While I don't smoke marijuana, the cannibinoids are great to stimulate appetite. Luckily, Controlled Labs put out this amazing product to 'give you the munchies' AND help you digest the food without wanting to put in a Bob Marley cd and take a nap. 4000 cals here I come

Adenergy Stack
For preworkout and recovery use. Not a popular product but works well for me.

Dymatize Elite Oats
Protein enriched oatmeal for the mornings. Not a bad price either, $10 for 7 packets.

Ginseng
A cheap herb that will help boost energy and appetite (did you know?)

Uniliver
Cheap way to bump my protein throughout the day

The Workout
A workout i put together myself. I do 5x5 heavy on the compound movements, 3x8 on the smaller ones.

Monday - LEGS
8 sets of 8 - squats (pyramid weight)

Tuesday - Upper Body
Bench Press - 5x5
Pec Dec - 3x8
Cable Rows - 5x8
Overhead Press - 5x5
Tricep extensions - 3x8

Wed - OFF

Thursday - Upper Body
Dips - 5x8
Chinups - 5x8
BB Curls - 3x8
Lateral Raises - 3x8
Deadlifts - 5x5

Friday - Legs
8 sets of 8 - Squats

Sat & Sun OFF

Nutrition
Beef, eggs, chicken, rice, pasta, taco bell, subs, pizza, bread, midgets

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have you tried Black Hole yet? (i dont mean that kind of black hole either) lol.

No creatine?

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried Black Hole yet? (i dont mean that kind of black hole either) lol.

No creatine?
yes!!! I love the black hole, used it around christmas time (pies, pies, pies)

The Adenergy stack is creatine. Heres the label:

Creatine(as Creatine Monohydrate,DiCreatine Malate) 5g †
Arginine(as L-Arginine Base,Arginine Alpha-Ketoglutarate) 3g †
L-Glutamine 2g †
L-Taurine 1.5g †
L-Alanine 500mg †
Trimethylglycine HCL 500mg †
L-Citrulline Malate 250mg †
Adenosine 5' Triphosphate Disodium(PEAK ATP™) 125mg

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Hey good stack bro:thumbsup:

how much weight you hoping to gain?
I'm weighing in around 165lbs right now, I'm hoping to get up to 175 by christmas time with minimal fat gain

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Glad you liked bro!!! :head:
I always appreciate helpful info.I am trying a similar routine but on my leg days I do (Mon & Fri)
A.Squats-5x5 Week 1,6x6 week 2,5x5 wk3.,6x6 wk 4,etc,etc
I too add weight every set
B.Superset-Standing Calf Raises/Standing Rev Calf Raises
2x20 or 3x15
Anyway my question is there a reason you only do Squats and no other exercises on Leg days.Once again your help is appreciated!!
Joe

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
I always appreciate helpful info.I am trying a similar routine but on my leg days I do (Mon & Fri)
2x20 or 3x15
Anyway my question is there a reason you only do Squats and no other exercises on Leg days.Once again your help is appreciated!!
Joe
you can also do leg presses on leg day. where did u read that you can only one leg exercise besides calf raiseS?

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
2x20 or 3x15
Joe
Your routine looks good!

Squats is all you need! The squat rack is all I have for leg equipment, first off. Secondly, if you do deep squats (ATG), your hammys will get worked. Squats are the king of leg exercises and if done properly (deep) will work every part of your leg. I do some toe raises, but when bulking, you want to focus on the BIG exercises.

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
you can also do leg presses on leg day. where did u read that you can only one leg exercise besides calf raiseS?
I don't uderstand what you are trying to say.Maybe i worded it wrong. What I was asking is why he only does Squats and no other leg exercises on his leg days.I know you could do other leg exercises besides Calf Raiases

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Your routine looks good!

Squats is all you need! The squat rack is all I have for leg equipment, first off. Secondly, if you do deep squats (ATG), your hammys will get worked. Squats are the king of leg exercises and if done properly (deep) will work every part of your leg. I do some toe raises, but when bulking, you want to focus on the BIG exercises.
Cool I think i will drop Friday Calf Raises and just up the reps/sets of Squats.I agree with you statement Squats are the king and need to be done 100% correctly.Anyway best of luck with your bulking.:squat:

Jet

Awards
  • Established
Renegade the routine looks great, I think I'll have to try it out myself! Is this a new routine for you or have you used it before?

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Renegade the routine looks great, I think I'll have to try it out myself! Is this a new routine for you or have you used it before?
I've been using it for a few weeks now. It works well into my schedule. Sometimes I will switch Thur and Fri, that way my upperbody gets more rest. The basis of the routine is to hit every muscle group twice per week, with enough rest that you don't overtrain. The focus should remain on compound movements and heavy weight. Let me know if you end up trying it.

Jet

Awards
  • Established
I've been using it for a few weeks now. It works well into my schedule. Sometimes I will switch Thur and Fri, that way my upperbody gets more rest. The basis of the routine is to hit every muscle group twice per week, with enough rest that you don't overtrain. The focus should remain on compound movements and heavy weight. Let me know if you end up trying it.
Thanks for the info, I think I'm going to start next monday. So are you pyramiding weight at all except for squats? Or are you going with 90% of your 5/8 rep max on each set?

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info, I think I'm going to start next monday. So are you pyramiding weight at all except for squats? Or are you going with 90% of your 5/8 rep max on each set?
I go for the 90% of my 5/8 rep max. I also do 2 warmup sets before the 5 working sets.

Once I acheive 6 reps, I will increase the weight a small amount (5lbs) for the next week. It's a basic way of programming. My goal is to add weight every 2 weeks. You should have no problem doing that.

I recommend you look / search for Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength book/program. It's alot like this program. The program is aimed at beginners, because the goal is to add weight every session. If you've been lifting for longer than 6-12 months, adding weight every session won't be possible. But you can add weight every 1-3 weeks as long as you are resting and eating enough.

You should also throw in a few sets of high reps, such as 1 set of 25 per week. This will target your slow twitch fibers and grow a different way.

Once you plaeteau, you can do one of a few things.
1.) Take a week off
2.) Change to a more traditional bb'ing split

-RR

Jet

Awards
  • Established
I go for the 90% of my 5/8 rep max. I also do 2 warmup sets before the 5 working sets.

Once I acheive 6 reps, I will increase the weight a small amount (5lbs) for the next week. It's a basic way of programming. My goal is to add weight every 2 weeks. You should have no problem doing that.

I recommend you look / search for Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength book/program. It's alot like this program. The program is aimed at beginners, because the goal is to add weight every session. If you've been lifting for longer than 6-12 months, adding weight every session won't be possible. But you can add weight every 1-3 weeks as long as you are resting and eating enough.

You should also throw in a few sets of high reps, such as 1 set of 25 per week. This will target your slow twitch fibers and grow a different way.

Once you plaeteau, you can do one of a few things.
1.) Take a week off
2.) Change to a more traditional bb'ing split

-RR
Thanks Renegade, looks like this program will be pretty effective for bulking and gaining strength :thumbsup:

I'll post again once I start it next week, I can already tell this routine is gonna kick my ass :head:

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Renegade, looks like this program will be pretty effective for bulking and gaining strength :thumbsup:

I'll post again once I start it next week, I can already tell this routine is gonna kick my ass :head:
Great, I can't wait to hear your feedback. It seems like a relatively short workout, especially since your working out large muscle groups together, but if you put 110% effort into it, you'll be thankful for the days off.

The one thing I want to note is deadlifts and squats work the same muscle groups, so if you need to decrease the sets of deads to 3, or decrease the squats on Friday, it won't throw the program off.

The Rippetoe program I used for a while had us doing 3 sets of squats for 5 reps - THREE TIMES PER WEEK. I said, Squats three times a week? What are they smoking?
It was damn painful, and I thought I was overtraining, but my squat shot up about 50lbs in 2 months, and my quads got massive.

A powerlifter told me once, if your squatting under 400lbs, not to worry about over training. Something to think about.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
here is the original Rippetoe post that peaked my interest to buy Mark's books. Just posted for ****s and giggles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a slight variation of Rippetoe's outstanding "Starting Strength" workout. You train on 3 nonconsecutive days per week.

So week 1 might look like:
Monday - Workout A
Wednesday -Workout B
Friday - Workout A

Week 2:
Monday - Workout B
Wednesday - Workout A
Friday - Workout B

If you choose Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday as your workout days, the planets won't get knocked out of alignment, so don't sweat this one, as long as you get in 3 workouts on non-consecutive days each week.

Dont' blow off workouts. Dont' adjust the workouts. You don't know enough about weight training to change it up properly, and neither does your 19-year old buddy who played football a few years ago and has nice arms. I've been squatting 400+ lbs longer than your buddy has been alive, and Mark Rippetoe has forgotten more about weight training than I'll ever hope to know, so don't **** with the workouts.

I bet you're worried about your arms. I honestly would not worry about your arms just yet. I think you'll be surprised how hard your arms will get hit. Give it a few weeks, and if you don't have sore arms by the weekend, then add in 2 sets, 8-12 reps of low incline skullcrushers and 2 sets, 8-12 reps Barbell, EZ-Bar or standing DB Curls on Fridays. DO NOT ADD THE ARM WORK RIGHT AWAY. Give it at least a few weeks. I'm betting you'll learn what I learned long ago...that direct arm work is highly overrated and can actually be counterproductive at times.

Here are the workouts, from Rippetoe's Starting Strength, with a slight twist (I add chinups and dips). Go to Starting Strength and pick up your own copy, there are 200+ pages of good **** for a skinny dude (and anyone else who cares about getting big and strong). I've been lifting weights for over 20 years, and this guy cuts right to the heart of the matter, and if I learned, I'll bet you will too. The nuances for exercise technique performance are outstanding. I'm as arrogant and egotistical as it gets, but this guy's knowledge ****s all over mine.

anyway, here are the adjusted workouts (sets x reps, not including warmup sets):

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift
2x5-8 dips (only add weight if you are doing >10 bodyweight dips)

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 Pendlay Rows (or power cleans for 5x3, 5 sets of 3 reps apiece)
2x5-8 chinups ***if you do the power cleans, do 3 sets of chinups***

Fridays only (Not earlier than 3 weeks into program) -
Parallel Bar dips or incline skullcrushers - 2 x 8-12
barbell/DB/EZ-Bar curls - 2 x 8-12

Daily accessory work:
-45 degree Decline bench weighted situps, 3x5 (hold body parallel to ground for static 5 seconds each repetition on the way down, then go down slowly and come back up)
-Hyperextensions - 3x8 (hold weight across chest or small barbell across back, and don't swing past parallel) - reverse hypers are preferable, but I don't know too many gyms with a reverse hyper.

chinups performed with undergrip or hammer grip. Pick one and stick to it. If you are very light (and have a strong set of lats and a flexible shoulder girdle), you can do BTN pullups with a medium-wide grip instead.

Dips are done "deep", but do NOT drop into the bottom position and bounce/swing your way out. Add weight if necessary to keep rep range at 5-8 or so reps (if you do sets of 8-10, then you won't die and cripple your training progress, so don't sweat the reps on the chinnie-chins or dippidy-dips)

If you can't do chins by yourself, then get your buddy to hold your feet, or use an incline bench to put your feet on to "lighten" the load. Use as little as need be to copmlete the positive (pulling up) part, and then use your own strength to lower yourself.

Use the same weight for each exercise. i.e. 3x5 squats means 3 sets, 5 reps on the squat, using the same weight for all sets. This is known as "sets across", as opposed to "ramping", where you increase the weight on each work set.

If you get all 15 reps (3 sets of 5) of the squat with good technique, going low enough, no bouncing out of the bottom, going low enough, no excessive forward lean, going low enough, etc (did I mention that you need to make sure you go low enough?) then add 5-10 lbs to the bar next time you hit them.

For bench, no bouncing, feet on the floor, keep your damn ass on the bench. Did I mention NO BOUNCING???? Don't bounce. Elbows at approximately 45-60 degrees from body, shoulder blades 'tucked' underneath, comfortably maintained arch in lower back.

For deadlift, no "heaving", it's a slow, steady pull. Go here and watch one of the best ever perform the deadlift: Putfile - benni

Go here for an explanation of how to do the power clean and squat properly:
GAYLE HATCH :: broadband video channel
look at the little links on the right and you'll see. 18-year old powerhouse under the instruction of an old-school Olympic lifting teacher. Great little videos.

If you desire, you can do the "HCP" - hanging clean and press, in place of the standing military press, and follow this up with the pendlay rows.

The hanging clean is essentially a clean done from knee level instead of the floor. You stand up with the bar, bend your knees, keep your torso upright. You bend your knees and allow the bar to travel downward just to your knees, then you explosively straighten your legs, perform a power shrug/upright row, and flip your arms underneath the bar, just like in a regular clean. From there, use a bit of leg drive and push-press the weight overhead. Then control the weight back down. If you are comfortable doing power cleans and would prefer them, then just do power cleans and standing military press. If not, do the Pendlay rows instead, and do only 2 sets of chinups instead of 3, since pendlay rows work your lats a bit more, and power cleans work your lower body, delts and traps a bit more. Each of those options are great options.

Here's how you do a Pendlay row (also check the stupid drawing, attached)

1) Maintaining a PERFECTLY PARALLEL upper body is the key. Once you get your hips in position, do NOT use hip extension, knee extension, leg drive, etc to move the weight.
2) You use a relatively wide grip (I keep pinkies approximately 1/2" inside outer knurling on standard Olympic bar), and pull the bar into your lower ribcage/upper gut area. Some people will argue that a close grip is better, and for chinups, I would agree. For rows, I disagree. The line-of-pull argument doesn't fly here.
3) You must "deload" between *every* repetition. That is, you actually put the bar down and release your grip so that you remove any type of static tension in the muscles at that time. DO THIS! It is almost counter-intuitive, and I resisted doing this for quite some time. After all, I have lifted 20 years and never deloaded between reps, why should I start now?
HA! I was a dumbass, and now I deload EVERY row I do, T-Bar, Barbell AND DB. Learn from my mistake. :p

Step-by-step:
Start off with the bar on the floor. Get your body into a parallel position initially. Keeping your upper body parallel, allow your shoulder blades to roll forward so that you can grip the bar as explained above. Without standing upright at all, explosively contract your shoulder blades together, and KEEP YOUR HIPS MOTIONLESS. There is *no* movement at the hips, i.e. do NOT stand up during this motion, you maintain the parallel upper body position throughout. Your lower lats arch hard, your elbows pull outward and behind the body, but you do not stand up at all. Slam the bar into your upper gut/lower ribcage, then control the weight downward while maintaining the parallel upper body position.

If you are able to row more than 135 with this exercise, use 35s so that you can get a better range of motion while pulling from more of a stretch position. Stand on a low, wide box if need be.

Use significantly less weight on this exercise than on normal 45 degree rows. Significant reduction in weight, significant increase in lat stimulation.
Don't forget to check the pic for my wonderfully descriptive artwork. :p

You are going to need to eat like mad. Unless you eat junk food and drink Coke and Pepsi constantly, you don't eat enough. As Mark Rippetoe said, he tells his kids that they have to drink a gallon of whole milk each day, and get kicked out of an all-you-can-eat buffet at least twice weekly.

Do you have the ability to eat 3500-4000 calories EVERY day without consuming tons of junk food? Nothing wrong with eating pizza and a double cheeseburger (or two!) every day, as long as you keep lifting hard.
Dump the candy, soft drinks, donuts, cookies, etc....stuff that is high in calories with no protein or nutritive value. You want *quality* calories.

Convince Mom to buy seven pounds of the 93% ground beef, and finish off an entire Hamburger Helper box with a pound of ground beef daily, as well as 2 or 3 peanut butter and banana sandwiches and as much whole milk as you can stomach. Don't like hamburger helper? Go for a box of mac-n-cheese along with your ground beef, but put down 1 lb of beef and 1 box of starch per day at least. Don't like mac-n-cheese? Make a bunch of spaghetti noodles or some rice or corn and peas, baked beans, potatoes. And eat dead animal. Lots of it. Don't want to eat a pound of ground beef? EGGS! Eat them! All of them!

the grocery bill is going to knock mom for a loop. Do your chores, wash the dishes, keep your room clean, etc, and Mom probably wont' freak out too much.

Make no mistake. The best weight training program will make you strong, but it won't make you big. Weight lifting does NOT make you big. It makes you strong. Eating properly is what makes you big. If you eat a ton of calories without the weights, you get fat. Eat a ton of calories WITH your weight/strength training, and you get big, strong muscles.

Have fun.

Jet

Awards
  • Established
Great, I can't wait to hear your feedback. It seems like a relatively short workout, especially since your working out large muscle groups together, but if you put 110% effort into it, you'll be thankful for the days off.
Can't wait man, the program sounds intense! I've been doing a lot of pyramid exercises recently and my gains haven't been that great, I'm hoping this routine will kick my gains into gear.
The one thing I want to note is deadlifts and squats work the same muscle groups, so if you need to decrease the sets of deads to 3, or decrease the squats on Friday, it won't throw the program off.
Good to know, I guess I'll play it by ear. The first week I may need to decrease the second set of squats, but by the second week I should (hopefully) be fine.
The Rippetoe program I used for a while had us doing 3 sets of squats for 5 reps - THREE TIMES PER WEEK. I said, Squats three times a week? What are they smoking?
It was damn painful, and I thought I was overtraining, but my squat shot up about 50lbs in 2 months, and my quads got massive.

A powerlifter told me once, if your squatting under 400lbs, not to worry about over training. Something to think about.
Interesting, I definitely want to add some mass to my legs, but I think three sets of squats three times a week would kill me :fool2: But I I like the squat/dead/squat split of this routine.

Can't wait for next week :woohoo:

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey RR what is your opininoin on GVT.Is it more of a
strength routine or bulk routine?Somebody suggested I do a GVT routione for bulking. Also would you consider your Squat workout a form of GVT style?
Thanks
Joe

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Hey RR what is your opininoin on GVT.Is it more of a
strength routine or bulk routine?Somebody suggested I do a GVT routione for bulking. Also would you consider your Squat workout a form of GVT style?
Thanks
Joe
I wouldn't consider my squat program GVT. GVT is 10 sets of 10 without change of weight. Mine has you pyramiding the weight.

I would consider GVT Hypertrophy-specific, but I prefer to build mass from heavy sets. I just find that it works better for me to stay in the low rep - high weight range, instead of vice versa.

But when I plateau on a strength based program such as this one, I will usually move into an HST based program for 4 weeks and then go back.

RR

Sonnny

Awards
hey :) nice info, i'm a smaller guy. only been lifting for 2 years i think. my appetite is bad and my metabolism is extremly high, i have a very hard time with bulking, would you sugest i try blackhole and gensing !?

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
hey :) nice info, i'm a smaller guy. only been lifting for 2 years i think. my appetite is bad and my metabolism is extremly high, i have a very hard time with bulking, would you sugest i try blackhole and gensing !?
Hi sonny,

I'm with you man! I used to be 130lbs soaking wet. I know alot of guys who have had fast metabolism and bulked up more than 60lbs.

The main thing is to EAT. I'm not talking about eating 6 meals a day (which is good to do anyway.) You have to eat LARGE meals that will stretch your stomach.

I would eat and eat and eat until I felt like I was going to puke. You know what happened? I'd be hungrier quicker, and I was able to eat more next time. My stomach got stretched because I ate to the max. Day in and day out, eat eat eat.

I would recommend trying Black HOLE if you have the money. It will make you very hungry and it will make you able to eat more. I use black HOLE before a big meal, and I'm able to really push my limits when it comes to food consumption.

The ginseng is a stimulant, but some people find it makes them hungrier. It's a cheap and safe herb so it's worth a try.

The main thing is to eat large meals, that way your stomach will get bigger and you'll be able to consume larger amounts of food without getting bloated.

RR

Sonnny

Awards
hmm thanks alot :) i'll try to eat some more ;D do you know if blackhole could be illegal ? i live in denmark and almost everything u guys use for supplements is illegal :/ and where to order black hole ? don't wanna google it :p

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
hmm thanks alot :) i'll try to eat some more ;D do you know if blackhole could be illegal ? i live in denmark and almost everything u guys use for supplements is illegal :/ and where to order black hole ? don't wanna google it :p
They have it at Nutraplanet.com - its made by Controlled Labs. I'm not sure what the legalities of it are in Denmark, but ginseng should be OK

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wouldn't consider my squat program GVT. GVT is 10 sets of 10 without change of weight. Mine has you pyramiding the weight.

I would consider GVT Hypertrophy-specific, but I prefer to build mass from heavy sets. I just find that it works better for me to stay in the low rep - high weight range, instead of vice versa.

But when I plateau on a strength based program such as this one, I will usually move into an HST based program for 4 weeks and then go back.

RR
Hey RR I too am starting your routine Monday.The only change will be adding calf raise with Leg day

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
I don't uderstand what you are trying to say.Maybe i worded it wrong. What I was asking is why he only does Squats and no other leg exercises on his leg days.I know you could do other leg exercises besides Calf Raiases
Sorry I thought you only did Squats and Calf Raises on Leg Day. Misunderstanding. :)

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Hey RR I too am starting your routine Monday.The only change will be adding calf raise with Leg day
Right on! Good addition :) Let me know how it works for you!

RR

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Right on! Good addition :) Let me know how it works for you!

RR
I have a question since I don't have access to do cable exercises what can I sub for Cable Rows.Would BO Rows be
O.K. or what do you suggest?I will keep posted on my results,:cheers:

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I have a question since I don't have access to do cable exercises what can I sub for Cable Rows.Would BO Rows be
O.K. or what do you suggest?I will keep posted on my results,:cheers:
Barbell rows are actually the best ones you can do. I do cable rows because of a lower back injury I had years before. Barbell rows would be your best bet.

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Now I see why you don't do any other leg exercises.I thought my legs were going to explode.I started with 2 warmup sets
with 85lbs and then added 20lbs each set.So that's 105,125,145,165,185 and finally 205(This is when mind/muscle connection kicked into extreme)At 205 I managed 6 reps. My PR was 195(5x).

ALL CAN SAY TO ANYONE READING THIS IS TO TRY THIS
IT ROCKS!!!!

Jet

Awards
  • Established
Hey Renegade, started the workout today and I'm liking it so far. Felt like a good workout, I'm definitely not used to that many sets :thumbsup:

Looking forward to the rest of the week.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Hell yeah bros. The hard parts over (squats), now the fun part begins (upper body).

You can replace pec dec with flies, I don't see a problem with that.

LOL@ koi. The 8 sets of squats is a monster but it will really force your legs to grow. :)

I see people at my gym using leg press, leg extensions, leg curls, but no squats! They are missing the best one. Activates the most muscle and testosterone boost as well as GH release.

Most important exercise IMO. It works everything under the bar!
Let me know how today goes! Remember to go heavy on the overhead press and bench press today, make those 5 reps count

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just finished Starr's intermediate routine,which requires squating 3x/week.I can honestly say the 8x8 2x/week will
be a great mass builder.The most important thing like you said is "CORRECT FORM".I have also really been concetrating on my mind/muscle connection to help with all my lifts.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I just finished Starr's intermediate routine,which requires squating 3x/week.I can honestly say the 8x8 2x/week will
be a great mass builder.The most important thing like you said is "CORRECT FORM".I have also really been concetrating on my mind/muscle connection to help with all my lifts.
How many reps and sets for the squatas on starr's, is that the 5x5?

8x8 2x week has been working very well for me so far. i think with squats 8-12 is the sweet number , legs respond better to higher reps i've heard.

I agree with the correct form, if you dont go down all the way it's all quad. full form targets glutes, abs, and hammys among others.

Let me know how the upper body day goes, I just finished mine up, drinking my protein now.

RR

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bill Starr
Mon- Squats,Bench and BO Rows(5x5)ramp weight,finish with
Tricep Extensions(3x8)
Wed Squats(-20% of Mon top set)(5x5 straight sets),Mil Press and Traditional D/L(5x5)ramp weight
Friday-same as Monday but add 5-10lbs,I finished with CG Chins/Dips(Supersets-3x8)
this was my version.
Todays W/O
Bench(5x5) top set 165lb(5x) Starrs 5RM=160
Incline Dumbbell Flyes(3x8) with 25lbs
BO Rows(5x8) topset 145(8x) Starrs 5RM 140
Overhead Press(5x5) top set120(5x) Starr 5RM 120
Tricep Ext(3x8) 50lbs Straight Sets

RR
I seem to plateau with Overhead Press.I was thinking of starting over so 100lbs will be my top set and then add
2(2.5lb)plates=5lbs each week to bust through plateau.
What do you think?Is that a good idea to bust plateau.

One more thing,last time I did an intense routine like this.It was a 20 Rep
Squat program I used Animal Flex for my joints.What would be a good joint support supplement.I was looking into ElastiJoint(Labrada)
Current supps
A.C.E.S.
Vit A (betacarotene comp)
Vit C 500mg (twice/day)
Vit E 400iu(3/day)
Selenium 200mcg

B-comp+B12-1000mcg
Fishoil-1teaspoon
CoQ10-100mg 2/day
QN Whey
TrueMass 2servigs/day
Percoba Colostrum 1 tspn/day @/day on w/o days(great product)
SP250
Torrent
RPM

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Bill Starr
Mon- Squats,Bench and BO Rows(5x5)ramp weight,finish with
Tricep Extensions(3x8)
Wed Squats(-20% of Mon top set)(5x5 straight sets),Mil Press and Traditional D/L(5x5)ramp weight
Friday-same as Monday but add 5-10lbs,I finished with CG Chins/Dips(Supersets-3x8)
this was my version.
Todays W/O
Bench(5x5) top set 165lb(5x) Starrs 5RM=160
Incline Dumbbell Flyes(3x8) with 25lbs
BO Rows(5x8) topset 145(8x) Starrs 5RM 140
Overhead Press(5x5) top set120(5x) Starr 5RM 120
Tricep Ext(3x8) 50lbs Straight Sets

RR
I seem to plateau with Overhead Press.I was thinking of starting over so 100lbs will be my top set and then add
2(2.5lb)plates=5lbs each week to bust through plateau.
What do you think?Is that a good idea to bust plateau.

One more thing,last time I did an intense routine like this.It was a 20 Rep
Squat program I used Animal Flex for my joints.What would be a good joint support supplement.I was looking into ElastiJoint(Labrada)
Current supps
A.C.E.S.
Vit A (betacarotene comp)
Vit C 500mg (twice/day)
Vit E 400iu(3/day)
Selenium 200mcg

B-comp+B12-1000mcg
Fishoil-1teaspoon
CoQ10-100mg 2/day
QN Whey
TrueMass 2servigs/day
Percoba Colostrum 1 tspn/day @/day on w/o days(great product)
SP250
Torrent
RPM
I think thats a very good idea to bust through your OH press pleateau. It's a hard exercise to advance in once you reach a certain point, but going back and starting at a lighter weight + adding each week is a very good idea.

Animal flex is a good product. I use Cissus and it works VERY well for my joints. SuperCissusRX from USP Labs has gotten rave reviews, and it's not that expensive. You should give that a try! You won't be disappointed. It also aids in recovery.

RR

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think thats a very good idea to bust through your OH press pleateau. It's a hard exercise to advance in once you reach a certain point, but going back and starting at a lighter weight + adding each week is a very good idea.

Animal flex is a good product. I use Cissus and it works VERY well for my joints. SuperCissusRX from USP Labs has gotten rave reviews, and it's not that expensive. You should give that a try! You won't be disappointed. It also aids in recovery.

RR
How does Cissus compare to a glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate products?Have you used both and if so comparison.Also your OH presses do you do as Standing OH or Seated OH.I do the Standing OH press.There is a differece right. Day 3 tomorrow Joe

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
How does Cissus compare to a glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate products?Have you used both and if so comparison.Also your OH presses do you do as Standing OH or Seated OH.I do the Standing OH press.There is a differece right. Day 3 tomorrow Joe
Hey Joe-

Standing OH works all your stabilizer muscles, therefor is more beneficial in my opinion.

Ive used both and beleive cissus works better

Jon

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thursday
Chins 5x8
Dips 5x8
BB curls 3x8 with 40lbs
L Raises 3x8 with 25lbs
Traditional D/L (2 warmup sets) 1 max set of 20 with 175lbs

RR
Question Monday after heavy squats and after heavy D/L's
about 1/2hr-45minutes after workout I really crave sugar.I thought Monday it was just my imagination but today I got the cravings again>.Whats up with that.?

Jet

Awards
  • Established
Hey Renegade, loving the workout still man, thanks again! I've been pretty sore the past couple days, and I feel like I've accomplished a lot more when I walk out of the gym every day :thumbsup:

Legs tomorrow :head:

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Hey Renegade, loving the workout still man, thanks again! I've been pretty sore the past couple days, and I feel like I've accomplished a lot more when I walk out of the gym every day :thumbsup:

Legs tomorrow :head:
Great to hear that bro!!!!

Koi, with the sugar cravings, it may be that your glycogen stores are depleted. I would try to consume some simple carbs pre and post workout, and that feeling should end.

Glad to hear it's working well for you guys!

RR

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
a little late in here, but how do them oats TASTE? :food: